Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Live for the PUMP

Thread: Where should I be hurting after deadlifts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tupollo is offline Junior Member

Where should I be hurting after deadlifts?

Where should I be hurting after deadlifts?

Most of you may not hurt the next day after a workout but us newbies do. Usually I feel it the next day.On long 12 mile runs I hurt for a few days and cant walk.I love the deadlift in principal but I haven't done a lot of em in my life. I've been giving it a go here and there trying to get the right amount of weight off the ground for it to mean something. I'm trying to put on as much weight on the bar as i can bear while keeping proper form for low sets, low reps, but as heavy as I can lift. No more then 2- 4 reps per set.

So i get up to the bar that someone had left some weight on ....lets see...ughghgh....nope. So lets remove one of the plates from each side...ahh better...but now I'm doing 10 reps per set. Sure its not easy but its not that hard either. I know I can get what I want (worn out and good exertion) by repetitively lifting the thing but thats not my goal. My goal is heavy with less reps (being the weightlifting strongman genius that I am) and its getting late so I call it a night.

Its the next day and I don't hurt anywhere. I know its not a rule that I have to hurt in order for me to accomplish something but as a newbie I should still be feeling the kinks out. where exactly am i supposed to feel it so i can recognize when my body is telling me I'm putting the work in on a deadlift?

Next time I lift ill add a little more weight till I get it right and if I still cant figure it out just do enough sets (keeping proper form) till I think I've had enough.
    Last edited by tupollo; 05-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    I get sore in the lower back and hamstrings especially.
    tupollo likes this.

You know your putting in the hard work on a dead-lift when it takes every ounce of you to stand up with that bar in your hand.
    tupollo likes this.

I think I'm supposed leave very little room between the bar and my legs...riding up all the way. My junk keeps getting in the way. Am i doing it right and should just work around it or am I way to close?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tupollo View Post
    I think I'm supposed leave very little room between the bar and my legs...riding up all the way. My junk keeps getting in the way. Am i doing it right and should just work around it or am I way to close?
    ?????
    The bar should barely reach your "junk" on a deadlift, unless you have midget arms. Wear tighter underwear.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    ?????
    The bar should barely reach your "junk" on a deadlift, unless you have midget arms. Wear tighter underwear.
    Maybe OPs hung like a horse and his junk hangs to his knees. Yeah wear some tight underwear and if that doesnt work duct tape always does.

Quote Originally Posted by tupollo View Post
    This is perfect! If you rip the skin off your shin on the way up....you know your doing it correct.
    tupollo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Live for the PUMP View Post
    This is perfect! If you rip the skin off your shin on the way up....you know your doing it correct.

I use to tear up my shins from this exercise. I always wrap mine now and don’t have that problem. Having the bar close to the body at the beginning is perfect. I always move the bar out when it gets close to my crotch.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    I use to tear up my shins from this exercise. I always wrap mine now and don’t have that problem. Having the bar close to the body at the beginning is perfect. I always move the bar out when it gets close to my crotch.
    Wraps are a good idea. I don't move the bar out but it doesn't rub my crotch either. Either that or I just move it out sub-contiguously..
    Last edited by Live for the PUMP; 05-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.

I read somewhere that the average male should be deadlifting 133 % of his body weight. Is that right? (most of you probably lift way more then that).

Thank you.

Do you count the bar as far as how much your lifting? I think the average bar is 20 right?

Bumpity.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Yes the bar counts. Standard Olympic bar is 20kg. Competition bar is 5kgs heavier, in the UK at least.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I never have pain in my lower back from deadlifting. When I do stiff leg deadlifts yeah my back will become sore but that’s because it’s a back exercise. Pains after performing deadlifts means you’re doing something wrong. Sounds like you have bar close to body like you are supposed to. Are you making sure to drive with your legs instead on pulling with your back? Never round your shoulders while performing or hyperextend at completion.

EKFitness is offline Member
    my shins

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EKFitness View Post
    my shins
    mine too. lol I tend to leave a little blood behind.

(I clean off the bar you twats lol)

If I change up rep range I'll get the DOMS in my hamstring and glutes. If I really roll my shoulders I can get sore in the traps too. I never get DOMS in my lower back. I will get some pumps that drop me to the floor for a while, while I stretch out my lower back and get the blood flowing again.

When I'm cutting one of my favorite cardio is dead lift 10X10 275 with a minute rest between sets. Muscles screaming, heart pounding, lungs on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Yes the bar counts. Standard Olympic bar is 20kg. Competition bar is 5kgs heavier, in the UK at least.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    ?????
    Will do.

Maybe OPs hung like a horse and his junk hangs to his knees. Yeah wear some tight underwear and if that doesnt work duct tape always does.
    Haha. Despite what some very kind women have said….no.

I never have pain in my lower back from deadlifting. When I do stiff leg deadlifts yeah my back will become sore but that’s because it’s a back exercise. Pains after performing deadlifts means you’re doing something wrong. Sounds like you have bar close to body like you are supposed to. Are you making sure to drive with your legs instead on pulling with your back? Never round your shoulders while performing or hyperextend at completion.
    I will make sure to drive with my legs.

I am hyper extended at the top/end. I thought i was supposed to.
    5 min 26 seconds.

Starting Strength -Deadlift Tutorial - Video Dailymotion

I see what you mean. 16 min 10 seconds of same video.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EKFitness View Post
    my shins
    Interesting.Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by evander87 View Post
    mine too. lol I tend to leave a little blood behind.

(I clean off the bar you twats lol)

If I change up rep range I'll get the DOMS in my hamstring and glutes. If I really roll my shoulders I can get sore in the traps too. I never get DOMS in my lower back. I will get some pumps that drop me to the floor for a while, while I stretch out my lower back and get the blood flowing again.

When I'm cutting one of my favorite cardio is dead lift 10X10 275 with a minute rest between sets. Muscles screaming, heart pounding, lungs on fire.
    Very well. Thank you for the input.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hams and lower back, and traps.

Deadication is offline New Member
    I've been using the Trap Bar with great success for Deadlifting - Works more legs a long with your lower back. Keeps arms and shoulders positioned in a more natural grip and prevents the bloody shins and crotch crush. Can also lower the weight to the floor much slower and safer to add work into the eccentric part of the movement.

I honestly don't see the benefit in using barbell over the trap bar now - During a conventional deadlift, there is a shift of hip hinge once you get past the knees (up and down) that in my opinion is putting unnecessary strain on your spine instead of your targeted muscle group. It is also a dream (or nightmare) for a hamstring workout doing 1 leg Romanian DL's within the Trap Bar.

To answer your Q OP - Hams, Lower Back immediately then add in glutes and traps next day.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Hams and lower back, and traps.
    Pretty much this. Although sometimes my abs and shoulders may be a little sore.

Thread Information