BigBen86 is offline Junior Member

Close Grip Incline Bench

I'm not sure where I saw this done before but I tried it today because every one was using a flat bench. Is there really any benefit from it. I definitely was benching a lot less I did 225 for 3 reps where as I close grip Flat bench 245 for 6 reps.

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    of course their is. still focusing weight on the tris

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Archy View Post
    of course their is. still focusing weight on the tris
    well yea weight is still on the tri's . what I meant is would it be beneficial to substitute these in for flat CG bench presses?

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    either way you're stimulating growth, it's more of a personal preference though. personally I like to do close grip on incline because I feel that I incorporate my chest too much on flat.

word, thanks for the input AA

Blog Entries
    I never liked doing close grip, placed too much strain on wrists. I prefer incline over flat simply because it works the upper pecs more, which is an area that's hard to grow. If you are doing close grip as a compound chest/triceps exercise both incline and flat are good to go. If your main focus is triceps then I would rather go with isolation exercises.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you want mass. Close grip incline is very good. I typically never bring the bar all the way down. I keep my elbows close, go about half way or a bit more down and back up. This keeps constant tension on your tris, and keeps your chest out of doing any work.

mass--close grip, skull crushers, db extensions sitting up,, or dips (not fully going below parallel).

if you're looking to shape, get a pump. then isolation exercises like your rope ext, and kick backs.

JMO....
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    I never liked doing close grip, placed too much strain on wrists. I prefer incline over flat simply because it works the upper pecs more, which is an area that's hard to grow. If you are doing close grip as a compound chest/triceps exercise both incline and flat are good to go. If your main focus is triceps then I would rather go with isolation exercises.
    I agree with most of what you're saying, but in my years of training I can honestly say doing close grip bench presses have seriously added mass to my triceps vs just doing iso exercises

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack View Post
    If you want mass. Close grip incline is very good. I typically never bring the bar all the way down. I keep my elbows close, go about half way or a bit more down and back up. This keeps constant tension on your tris, and keeps your chest out of doing any work.

mass--close grip, skull crushers, db extensions sitting up,, or dips (not fully going below parallel).

if you're looking to shape, get a pump. then isolation exercises like your rope ext, and kick backs.

JMO....
    Yea I pretty much agree, I'm going to start to do incline Close grips this week. I'll let the pride go and bring the weight down a little. It'll be worth it to put the extra load on my tri's vs my chest

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen86 View Post
    I agree with most of what you're saying, but in my years of training I can honestly say doing close grip bench presses have seriously added mass to my triceps vs just doing iso exercises

Yea I pretty much agree, I'm going to start to do incline Close grips this week. I'll let the pride go and bring the weight down a little. It'll be worth it to put the extra load on my tri's vs my chest
    I've done both and prefer weighted dips. But I noticed a much better pump on incline vs flat. As said above it takes chest out of the equation for me.

Thread Information