• 1 Post By MikeNXG
  • 1 Post By pushit_05
  • 1 Post By MikeNXG

Thread: Working out for size gains

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MikeNXG is offline New Member

Working out for size gains

hi there, I just got back from the gym and decided id jot this down for anyone to comment on. Advice as to whether I am on the right track for my goals or not would be greatly appreciated.

Warmup
    clean & press 2x12

clean & press 10,8,6,6

Shoulder press behind neck 12,10,8,6

Linear landmine jammers 12,10,10,10

close grip tri press 20,12,10,8,6
    OH tri ext 12,10,8 super set BB curl 20,10,8

One arm tri ext 12,10,8
    db curl 20,12,10,8
    front db raise 12,10,8,6

I just want to make sure I am utilizing my time in the gym for the best gains possible. Thanks

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That's quite a good routine actually, be careful with behind the neck movements though, if you have poor shoulder flexibility they can lead to shoulder impingement. I'd say swap that for military press and add in some rear delt flyes/facepulls.
    Docd187123 likes this.

Yeah I hear ya, and Thanks...i'll keep at er.

Legs & lower back today.
    Pre workout- 1 cup oats, i serving Quick mass loaded, multi vit, creatine, fish oil, Hyde

Squats 12,12,10,8,6

Dead lift 12,10,8,6
    SL dead lift 12,10,8,6
    DB lunges 8,8,8,8,8
    super set leg ext, kneeling leg curl 12,10,8,6

super set seat calf raise/stand CR 12,10,8,6

My routine calls for good mornings but I have never done these before...I do hyper extensions instead. May attempt some good mornings with no weight to see how they feel, any tips on form??

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNXG View Post
    Legs & lower back today.
    Pre workout- 1 cup oats, i serving Quick mass loaded, multi vit, creatine, fish oil, Hyde

Squats 12,12,10,8,6

Dead lift 12,10,8,6
    SL dead lift 12,10,8,6
    DB lunges 8,8,8,8,8
    super set leg ext, kneeling leg curl 12,10,8,6

super set seat calf raise/stand CR 12,10,8,6

My routine calls for good mornings but I have never done these before...I do hyper extensions instead. May attempt some good mornings with no weight to see how they feel, any tips on form??
    That's a lot of volume for a leg day, i was doing that kind of volume for a while and recently started a proper program (jonnie canditos 6 week strength program), and the highest volume day is 1 max reps set of squats with 8 back off sets of 3 reps, and that's only 1 day the rest are like 4 sets of squats and 2 sets of Deadlifts, and my legs have blew up like crazy. Btw good mornings are a risky exercise, if done too heavy or without perfect form you're begging for lower back injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    That's a lot of volume for a leg day, i was doing that kind of volume for a while and recently started a proper program (jonnie canditos 6 week strength program), and the highest volume day is 1 max reps set of squats with 8 back off sets of 3 reps, and that's only 1 day the rest are like 4 sets of squats and 2 sets of Deadlifts, and my legs have blew up like crazy. Btw good mornings are a risky exercise, if done too heavy or without perfect form you're begging for lower back injuries.
    yeah the good mornings kinda scare me..thanks for the advice. This workout is based of and 8 week trainer I found on my bodyspace. I'll see how today goes and tweek from there.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    You shouldn't clean for so many reps. It's a very technical lift and the fatigue will screw up your form. If you're doing them light enough for your form to be perfect then you're using too little weight on them to get any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    You shouldn't clean for so many reps. It's a very technical lift and the fatigue will screw up your form. If you're doing them light enough for your form to be perfect then you're using too little weight on them to get any benefit.
    for me I usually only do the bar+10s for warmup +25 working and maybe another 10 last set unless im tired in which case I back off the weight...would 4-5 sets be more beneficial? and less reps? Maybe 5x5s would work better here?

I wouldn't do more than 3-5reps per set tops with 5 even pushing it. Something like 5sets of trips or 6-7sets of doubles.

I wouldn't do more than 3-5reps per set tops with 5 even pushing it. Something like 5sets of trips or 6-7sets of doubles.
    Thanks for the advice!

Leg & Lower back Actual.

Squats
    Dead-lift
    Leg Ext
    kneel leg curl
    stand calf raise
    seat calf raise
    Hyper extensions

I was spent after this...really felt I should have done more quad and hamstring work, but honestly I was toast. Chest today and hopefully I'll have more energy.

Leg & Lower back Actual.

Squats
    Dead-lift
    Leg Ext
    kneel leg curl
    stand calf raise
    seat calf raise
    Hyper extensions

I was spent after this...really felt I should have done more quad and hamstring work, but honestly I was toast. Chest today and hopefully I'll have more energy.
    If you went hard on the squats and Deads, that's more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    If you went hard on the squats and Deads, that's more than enough.
    I did my heaviest squat in a few months, which feels great today
    Khazima likes this.

As Khazima said, if you went heavy on squats and deads and your squats were to parallel or lower, than you did a lot of work on the hams and quads from those two lifts alone.

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    You have energy to do more work after Squats, deadlifts, and SL deads? Push yourself, go heavier man. Also skip good mornings idk why the westside crew loves them so much...
    Khazima likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05 View Post
    You have energy to do more work after Squats, deadlifts, and SL deads? Push yourself, go heavier man. Also skip good mornings idk why the westside crew loves them so much...
    Good mornings are a great lift to work the entire posterior chain. Also, many westsiders find that when they're good mornings to up so do they're squats and deadlifts. This maybe more pronounced in geared lifting than raw but I know several PL'ers who compete in raw Feds that experience the same results.

Good mornings are a great lift to work the entire posterior chain. Also, many westsiders find that when they're good mornings to up so do they're squats and deadlifts. This maybe more pronounced in geared lifting than raw but I know several PL'ers who compete in raw Feds that experience the same results.
    I could never find room in my programming for them. I squat and DL on the same day so thats probably a large part of it. They also seem to have more carry over to the squat than the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05 View Post
    I could never find room in my programming for them. I squat and DL on the same day so thats probably a large part of it. They also seem to have more carry over to the squat than the DL.
    I train 3x a week and squat each of those days (3x per week also). On days I do deads I do light squats so as not to affect my deads too much.

I train 3x a week and squat each of those days (3x per week also). On days I do deads I do light squats so as not to affect my deads too much.
    So where do you fit GMs into it?

Shoulders & Arms
    clean & press 5,5,5,5,5
    DB press 12,10,8,5,5,5
    front raise 10,10,5,5,5
    BB press 10,5,5,5,5

CG bb press 12,8,5,4,5,5

BB Curl 10,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

Right shoulder was bugging me a little...gonna to have to watch it...only seems to be after front raises...presses were fine. Took some advice and did a few less reps on the C&P still doing the 5s but only because of the program im following..lol. Gotta stay with it till the end!! rest tomorrow, then rest. Gonna go eat.

Shoulders & Arms
    clean & press 5,5,5,5,5
    DB press 12,10,8,5,5,5
    front raise 10,10,5,5,5
    BB press 10,5,5,5,5

CG bb press 12,8,5,4,5,5

Right shoulder was bugging me a little...gonna to have to watch it...only seems to be after front raises...presses were fine. Took some advice and did a few less reps on the C&P still doing the 5s but only because of the program im following..lol. Gotta stay with it till the end!! rest tomorrow, then rest. Gonna go eat.
    You need to add in some direct rear delt work. Over time too much pushing : pulling will result In internal rotation of the shoulders.

What would you add in/ replace in that workout?

Shoulders & Arms
    clean & press 5,5,5,5,5
    Lateral raise (12-15, 4-6 sets)
    Dumbbell Or BB press 10,5,5,5,5
    facepulls (12-15, 5 sets)

CG bb press 12,8,5,4,5,5

See bold

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    looks good : )

davesah1 is offline Member
    maximize muscle breakdown, minimize glucose depletion.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesah1 View Post
    maximize muscle breakdown, minimize glucose depletion.
    Why would you want to minimize glycogen depletion? It's the most effective form of energy. Assuming you have enough for the workout , which with proper diet you would, the goal should be to use as much as possible then quickly refill the stores post workout

Well, after a pretty crazy weekend, I got back in the gym Monday morning for chest & back. Workout was ok, didn't get up as heavy as my last workout but im going to blame that on the booze.

BP 30,5,5,5,5,5,5
    Inc BP 20,5,5,5,5,5,5
    superset DB pullover & Flye 30,5,5,5,5,5,5

Long bar row 20,5,5,5,5,5,5

Sunday was a mess...barely ate anything because of the hangover, but felt ok Monday morning and diet yesterday was good...

Weight this morning 178lbs...7lb loss since Friday...but im sure its mostly water. Shoulders this morning and so far im feeling pretty pumped!

Been a busy week! Trained straight thru and will take today off. Starting week 4 of my 8 week trainer and my diet is better than it was but still need some work, cut out cream in my coffee and have been drinking egg whites more frequently also cut my gainer shakes in half. Had popcorn at the movie last night, and a greasy breakfast yesterday....so gonna have to be extra good the rest of the week. Meal plan is key..but I seem to be failing at keeping my consistency.

Not skipping good mornings anymore, and my form seems to be getting better, I actually like the movement and am getting more used to it. Legs twice a week is awesome as I used to skip them in the past, whatever I do in the future, I will try to keep on a similar workout plan. My weight seems to have stabilized a bit, no big fluctuations the last week or so sitting right around 180 most days, and my waist lost about .5 an inch to 35. Arms, chest, shoulders and quads are all the same with no loss or gain gonna have to work harder!! Anyway, time to go eat.

Looks good..gonna try it out on Monday.
    Khazima likes this.

This was one of my best days in the gym since I started. I really felt like I pushed myself and I tried a couple new things that I think I will add to my regular routine. Good mornings, and walking lunges. Both were difficult and both left me feeling exhilarated.

Legs & lower back
    Squats 12,10,8,5,4
    SL dead 8,8,8,8,5
    Superset leg ext & Kneeling leg curl 10,10,8,6,6,6

Good morning 12,20,8,8,10,8
    Walking Lunge 12,12,12,12,12

Super set St Calf raise & Seated 10,8,6,6,6

Bachelor party tonight so diet is gonna take a hit, but rest tomorrow and back on track for Monday.

Thread Information