uhit is offline Member

Critique routine for building strength

Hello all. I need some advice on my workouts at the gym with the main goal being to increase my lifts and to increase explosiveness for activities such as sprinting and jumping. I have sports training usually throughout the week with the weekends being free therefore I usually do low rep high weight type lifts later in the week so I have ample time to recover. Also, all workouts take place in the AM (if that is of any relevance).

I would like to follow this sort of program for 4 or so weeks just before my season begins and then i'll switch it up to maintain strength.

Monday

Back Squat - 3x12
    Front Squat - 3x12
    Walking Lunges - 3x10
    Straight Leg Deadlifts - 3x10
    Hamstring Curl - 3x10
    Single leg press - 3x12
    RDL - 2x10

Planks - 2x60secs
    Leg raises - 3x15
    Crunches - 1xuntil failure

Tuesday

Flat Bench Press - 4x12/10/8/8
    Dumbell fly - 3x10
    Incline Bench Press - 4x12/10/8/8
    Pullovers - 3x10
    Decline Bench Press - 3x12/10/8
    Tricep pulldowns - 3x12
    Kickbacks - 3x10
    Tricep Dips - 2xuntil failure

Wednesday

REST

Thursday

Shoulder Press - 3x12/10/10
    Side lat raise - 3x10
    Front lat raise - 3x10
    Wide Pull ups - 3x10/8/8
    Dumbell Rows - 3x10
    Chin ups - 3x10/8/8
    Back extension - 3x10
    Deadlifts - 3x10

Friday [Full body day]

Back Squat - 5x5
    Deadlift - 5x5
    Flat Bench Press 5x5
    Pullups - 5x until failure
    Barbell Bicep Curls - 3x10
    Plank - 3x60 seconds

And on the weekend I will do plyometrics such as hill sprints.

Also, I am aware I don't directly do biceps except for maybe one time. They are an eye candy muscle and in my sport don't really help performance as much as other muscle groups.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Look at some strength training programs, there's a fair bit wrong with your programming if you're looking purely for functional strength. I'm currently running jonnie canditos 6 week strength training program which has been quite good, id suggest looking at his linear strength/hypertrophy or strength/explosiveness programs. Or try a program like 'starting strength', 5x5 maybe, or even wiendler 5-3-1.

swolehead is offline Member
    5x5 is real good for streangth. for explosiveness you want to do 1 to 5 reps and then superset with a explosive excersize of the same muscle grueling so to increase you vertices you could squat 1 to 5 then superset with 10 squat jumps I did this and my med ball throw increased 3 and a half feet in 3 months and I could do clapping push ups with clap in front in back and in front again then land back on your hands

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    For strength go with 3-6 reps for up to 3 heavy work sets. Do some heavy singles and doubles every few weeks. Stick to your compound movements and limit the isolation movements. Maybe even do a heavy and a light workout per week. And every set does not have to be to failure to gain strength. Leave a rep in the tank and you'll gain.

Thread Information