Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mp859

Thread: Do all pro bodybuilders really deload every 4th week? Is deloading necessary

frostfire is offline New Member

Do all pro bodybuilders really deload every 4th week? Is deloading necessary

Is deloading necessary if your still making strength gains at a decent pace? My main goal is size, but to gain size you gotta increase the weight you're using while remaining in the 8-12 rep range which i'm doing and still making strength gains after 4 months of lifting, i heard pro and advanced bodybuilders deload every 4th week for 1 week. That seems like alot! I thought most pros go none stop and don't skip any workouts or take any time off for years. A week off to me would feel like i'm wasting time and missing out on gains, specially if i'm still gaining. Are there any advanced lifters who only deload a few times a year and just go by how they feel intead of every 4th week? I wanna do whatever it takes to keep gaining mass.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Pro bodybuilders aren't worried about strength for one thing. The one I know just rotates lighter volume based work with heavy work.
    blakegains likes this.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This ^^ You should be rotating intensity every now and again for your CNS and joints. A good general rule is to take a deload as needed or every 12 weeks.

It doesn't have to be a week off, it can be a week of low intensity training, a week of less frequency, halved volume etc etc just something to give your body a rest.

If you're training for bodybuilding you won't need deloads as frequently as their primary purpose is to give your CNS a break from heavy lifting. ie 1-6 reps, 6-12 is moderate. So just take a lighter week every 3 months or as needed.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Even a deload for one workout can do wonders. Don't be afraid to listen to your body. But most importantly pay attention to what it's telling you.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You need to deload in order to progress. You can call it training at maintenance for a given amount of time before beginning another challenging training routine weather it be a PL routine or BB routine.

LEO78 is offline Associate Member
    Why not? One step backward - two steps forward...

frostfire is offline New Member
    Thanks for replies everyone! I'll make sure to deload every 12 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Pro bodybuilders aren't worried about strength for one thing. The one I know just rotates lighter volume based work with heavy work.
    I know bodybuilders aren't worried about strength like a powerlifter is, but gains you see in the mirror don't exactly come as quick. So i like to track my progress and any time i gain strength while sticking to a bodybuilding routine within the 8-12 rep range, i assume i am getting bigger, it's what keeps me motivated knowing i'm getting stronger in the hypertrophy rep range so i must be gaining size too while eating at a caloric surplus, If a person who starts bodybuilding benching 140x10, keeps training every week in that rep range until he can lift 300x10, he is going to be considerably bigger, while if training like a powerlifter within the 1-3 rep range, he may not of gained much size at all even though he more than doubled his bench press. You're not going to keep getting bigger and bigger if you're not improving the amount you lift.
    Pro bodybuilders don't get to their size by squatting 180x8 and deadlifting 200x8. Is this correct? By me saying if you're increasing your strength while in the hypertrophy rep range, you're gaining mass... as long as you're at a caloric surplus?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frostfire
    Thanks for replies everyone! I'll make sure to deload every 12 weeks or so. I know bodybuilders aren't worried about strength like a powerlifter is, but gains you see in the mirror don't exactly come as quick. So i like to track my progress and any time i gain strength while sticking to a bodybuilding routine within the 8-12 rep range, i assume i am getting bigger, it's what keeps me motivated knowing i'm getting stronger in the hypertrophy rep range so i must be gaining size too while eating at a caloric surplus, If a person who starts bodybuilding benching 140x10, keeps training every week in that rep range until he can lift 300x10, he is going to be considerably bigger, while if training like a powerlifter within the 1-3 rep range, he may not of gained much size at all even though he more than doubled his bench press. You're not going to keep getting bigger and bigger if you're not improving the amount you lift. Pro bodybuilders don't get to their size by squatting 180x8 and deadlifting 200x8. Is this correct? By me saying if you're increasing your strength while in the hypertrophy rep range, you're gaining mass... as long as you're at a caloric surplus?
    You will gain size in the lower rep range even though that's not the goal. If you have never trained as a PL and then start to, it will fill in a lot of gaps and make you stronger hence you will be able to handle more weight when you train as a BB. So you are on the right track.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
    Thanks for replies everyone! I'll make sure to deload every 12 weeks or so.
    If you're hitting it hard with some good intensity you're going to need to deload more often than this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    If you're hitting it hard with some good intensity you're going to need to deload more often than this.
    X2^^^ Since training pure HIT(one BP every 7/10 days at the highest intensity possible) your CNS and body is telling you to slow down) hence the importance of a deload(pull back)m

Thread Information