Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: Hex vs convential style deadlifting

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Hex vs convential style deadlifting

For you guys who still dead lift would you say the hex barbell is better than the traditional conventional style dead lift or the sumo dead lift?
    I am thinking of switching to the hex bar setup on heavy lifts and stick with conventional for stiff leg deads only
    Thinking of doing this to prevent injury it looks like my back can't really take the heavy deadlifts that well anymore

Hex vs convential style deadlifting-proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do the same thing for the same reason. I don't ever do traditional deadlift and do squats very sparingly. Instead I do hex-squat, or hex-deadlift, whatever you want to call it, its just a hybrid. I do RDLs and stiff-legged. I recently read that RDLs are easier on the back than stiff-legged. For spinal rectors I like hyperextensions and hypers with a band on the back of my head to a weight on the ground. Also, front squats (lower load and less lower back involvement.
    I really like the hex bar. It can also be used for shrugs and an alternative to DBell v Bar on overhead press.

I ask because I'm noticing some slight back discomfort again and I think its honestly just my previous back injuries acting up on heavy deads so i'm considering just sticking to hex bar for deadlift work where i'm going over 4 plates

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I do the same thing for the same reason. I don't ever do traditional deadlift and do squats very sparingly. Instead I do hex-squat, or hex-deadlift, whatever you want to call it, its just a hybrid. I do RDLs and stiff-legged. I recently read that RDLs are easier on the back than stiff-legged. For spinal rectors I like hyperextensions and hypers with a band on the back of my head to a weight on the ground. Also, front squats (lower load and less lower back involvement.
    I really like the hex bar. It can also be used for shrugs and an alternative to DBell v Bar on overhead press.
    Is that a thing? I haven't heard of hex squat bars, do you mean the safety squat bar??
    Whats a hex squat?

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Last edited by Quester; 02-12-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Just a long series in a day like one of John Mcclain's.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I like the Hex bar more so now. It’s a bit more functional and a little kinder to the low back.
    Quester and Proximal like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    hex bar deadlift is primarily going to hit the lower back and quads, where as traditional deadlift will hit more the posterior chain and even upper back

I heard he other day the hex bar targets more glute development and not so much on the back, but it could be wrong
    I dont really remember much anymore, anyway i hit a PR using the HEX and I'm sure i could have added another 50-90lbs to the bar and get that. I felt like i had more in me ... s

nateboussad is offline New Member
    You could think of the hex or trap bar as a hybrid of a squat and deadlift because of leverages.
    If you use the hex bar and center point is lined up along the hips at the start more leg is used and less low back compared to a traditional deadlift.
    In your case with with a prior back issue they probably are the best for you right now.
    I would transition to regular DL in the future or alternate cycles of hex bar for a couple months for each.

Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
    Last edited by nateboussad; 02-22-2019 at 05:45 AM.

Thread Information