Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

I feel like such a trader...

Today is my dog's last day with his beloved testes. With this loss, he will also lose 90 percent of his bodies ability to produce testosterone . I feel like I am doing the poor guy such a dis-service... he has trained well, and been a good companion - and this is how we "reward" him.

Do I take him to a strip club tonight? Take him to a kennel to check out some bitches one last time?

Seriously, does neutering a dog lead to any personality or training issues?

Lol!

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Today is my dog's last day with his beloved testes. With this loss, he will also lose 90 percent of his bodies ability to produce testosterone . I feel like I am doing the poor guy such a dis-service... he has trained well, and been a good companion - and this is how we "reward" him.

Do I take him to a strip club tonight? Take him to a kennel to check out some bitches one last time?

Man thats nasty, I know the health benefits, but fvck I would NEVER do that to a dog if I got one, NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    Man thats nasty, I know the health benefits, but fvck I would NEVER do that to a dog if I got one, NEVER.
    Your not making this walk down the green mile any easier for us

Aren't you suppose to neuter them young? Isn't there health benefit to this? And doesn't it prevent the dog (especially males) from pissin' in the house or humpin' someone's leg down the line? Or knockin' some bitch up with his bastard offspring?

Talk me out of it - and the dog keeps his manhood. The clocks tickin'

Your not making this walk down the green mile any easier for us

Aren't you suppose to neuter them young? Isn't there health benefit to this? And doesn't it prevent the dog (especially males) from pissin' in the house or humpin' someone's leg down the line? Or knockin' some bitch up with his bastard offspring?

Talk me out of it - and the dog keeps his manhood. The clocks tickin'
    oh ok, so I guess to prevent males from developing ball cancer, unwanted pregnancy, putting the seat back down....WE SHOULD JUST CUT THEIR BALLS OFF!!!!!

how about

This is torture, disrupting the entire dogs system, I dont care how many people do it, how many people think its fine, ITS NOT!!!!

LEAVE HIS BALLS ALONE

Or heyI got a better idea, to save people from the possibility of cancer, any kind of negative thing, lets just kill them...all of em.....yeah!!!

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    what like traitor?

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    what like traitor?
    Naaa.... I meant it like trading his family jewels in for... a nothing... pfft... next time you write "their" instead of "there" - I'll be waiting!

Should I neuter my dog?
    by Jane Johnson

It's quite a common question that gets asked, and it is important that you ask it.

It is a myth that every dog should keep its testicles to maintain its "manliness". Dogs do not need to breed. It doesn't make a dog any better if it does breed, and it certainly doesn't make its owner a better person either! And it certainly can make that dog much more difficult to manage if it is not neutered.

The reality is that unless there is a specific reason to breed your dog, it should be neutered at an early age to prevent unwanted pregnancies, minimise agressive male behaviour, and to lessen the chance of some forms of cancer.

My recommendation is that the dog gets neutered between 2 and 6 months old. In fact, when we place puppies, we will neuter them before they go and include this as part of the purchase price. We strongly encourage other breeders to do the same. Yes, there is always a small risk associated with any sort of surgery, but there is far greater risk associated with owning and managing a dog with an aggressive sex drive. There is significant evidence showing that younger pups manage through the surgery option much better than older dogs. Indeed, the surgery is quite simple and can be performed in a matter of minutes. We recommend that you seek a couple of quotes from different vets as prices can differ enormously.

If your dog is not neutered, you will often see the following:
    • they will pee on everything and anything - including all furniture, curtains, shoes, and handbags in your house.
    • a major change of behaviour around bitches "in season". Once a dog has actually had sex, this behaviour can be magnified significantly on future occasions when coming in contact with fertile bitches.
    • many dogs will actively seek fertile bitches breaking out of seemingly secure fences. Indeed we have a friend whose dog broke his chain, then broke out of a shed, then chewed through fences, and got into the house where the bitch was housed, and was able to breed with her producing pups 9 weeks later.
    • sometimes dogs will be aggressive to other dogs and may hump any other dog (males included) that he finds. This behaviour can go on for some time.
    • often dogs not neutered will seek out neutered males to hump. You can imagine the outcomes that this can have in terms of aggressiveness (not to mention your embarrassment)
    • sometimes the dog will refuse to eat whenever they smell a fertile bitch
    • male dogs can sometimes be quite aggressive to a female in season
    • male dogs seeking to fulfil their sexual drive will often hump anything or anyone that moves
    • male dogs can howl and cry for weeks while a bitch is in season within smelling distance of them (and believe me, this will drive you nuts)
    • often males will exude a smell related to the sex hormones when a bitch is in season. This smell is appalling, and you will be doing your best to figure out how to get rid of it. (good luck - we haven't figured out a way yet).
    It is surprising just how major the behaviour change in dogs can be when bitches are in season. Before I got my toy poodle neutered he would actually attack my old neutered boxer when bitches were in season. Naturally, a toy poodle cannot do a heck of a lot of damage to a boxer, but in one instance the boxer decided he'd had enough and turned on the poodle. Luckily I was there to stop any damage. However, when involved with stud dogs on other occasions, I have been damaged (bitten) by aggressive stud dog behaviour - and by dogs who normally had the most superb temperament. As an old-timer mentor said to me recently - "a male will actually attempt to kill any male who he thinks will mate a bitch near him."

When a male dog is after a fertile bitch, that is the only thing on his mind. He will do anything that he can think of to get at bitches. This includes scaling fences, breaking down doors, mating through fences, and physically harming and even killing other dogs, etc. Additionally, as the owner of the male dog, you are as responsible as the owner of the bitch, for any puppies that are born. This means you have a ethical responsibility for life to rescue any of those pups if they ever end up in the pound. (as a note: it is likely in future that legally as well as morally you will have this responsibility).

When you get to this point, you really need to ask yourself, "is this really worth it?"

Frankly, in the 99.99% of cases, it is not worth it. Do yourself, your family, and your neigbhours a favour by getting your dog neutered.

Don't wait until your dog starts getting sexual drives before you neuter him. In many cases, once the dog starts the mis-behaviour associated with attempting to breed, that behaviour can stay after the neutering has taken place.

helium3 is offline Senior Member

i would have to say yes,our dog has to have injections(chemical castration) as he developed a tumour which is testosterone related,but was too old to go under.he has calmed down quite a bit and doesnt bother much with other dogs,he is scared of cats,birds and other animals now lol,but thats about all the negative aspects of it.

with your knowledge id imagine you might have a good understanding about the physical and mental changes that would occur if your balls were removed!

on a side note i prefer to leave animals as they are they dont need our intervention for the most part.good luck with your decision.

2.minutes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    on a side note i prefer to leave animals as they are they dont need our intervention for the most part.good luck with your decision.
    totally agreed, wanted to do the same to my horse but changed my mind

Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    with your knowledge id imagine you might have a good understanding about the physical and mental changes that would occur if your balls were removed!

If I hadn't studied steroidal hormones at all - I wouldn't be second-guessing this. I guess TRT could always be a possibility... anyone know the replacement dose for a small dog? j/k, aka - just kidding!

I like the idea of keeping them as they are... as nature intended. But sooo many people do this, there must be some kind of benefit to the animal and the relationship with their master.

I found some more info that relates a lot to casterating the dog before the age of 3 to catch them before their desire to procreate distracts them from being a properly disciplined domestic animal. And a trained dog is great... an untrained, unmotivated dog can be a total headache.

If I lived on a farm... keeping him intact might be more doable. But since I need him to be a properly housebroken and obedient domestic animal - I think its something that needs to be done. Yet the idea of stripping him of his testosterone still bothers me...

---------------------------------

Spay/Neuter Behavior Benefits

Why do we spay female dogs and neuter male dogs? Spay/neuter helps produce healthy and good-tempered purebred dogs. Spay/neuter allows a breeder to remove dogs from breeding who should not be bred because some of their puppies and the people who lived with those puppies would suffer. Spay/neuter puts a stop to passing on undesirable genetic traits, while allowing the pup or dog being "culled" from the breeding program to go on and have a great life.

Another significant reason is that spay/neutered dogs do not produce puppies who join the population of unwanted dogs. Spay/neuter is part of the solution to having to put massive numbers of dogs to sleep because there are not enough homes for all of them.

But what's in it for us? What's in it for the dog who is spay/neutered instead of being left intact? What's in it for the family who will live with that dog? After all, you could conceivably keep your intact dog from breeding-though you might be surprised at the difficulty that involves!
    But let's say you could do that and didn't mind the inconvenience. Leaving breeding ability aside, why ELSE would you want your dog spay/neutered? Lots of really good reasons exist for doing this. Too often, people stop at the overpopulation reason and never get to the "good stuff" that will matter much more to the average dog and family. Let's talk about the good stuff.

Males
    A male dog who remains intact experiences a huge increase in testosterone in adolescence. At several months of age, the male's testosterone level can be several times that of an adult male! This gives a real jump start to hormone-related behaviors, including urine marking in your house, aggression toward other male dogs, territorial aggression, and escape-oriented behavior in order to roam.

Some male dogs, especially tiny terriers and hounds, may be impossible to housetrain if you wait too long to neuter them. With all dogs, be guided by your veterinarian's opinion as to the best time for spay/neuter. Six months to one year of age is usually about the right time.

For best behavioral results, it's best not to wait past a year of age to neuter males. Once a hormone-triggered behavior has continued long enough, you can be dealing with a firmly entrenched habit that will not fade even after neutering. Frequently, neutering helps with behavior problems, even if done much later, so don't give up on it just because you've missed the optimum time.

Intact male dogs tend to have more difficulty concentrating on tasks and to show erratic behavior in the vicinity of a female dog in heat. Intact males may not be able to eat or sleep when a female dog in heat is in the same house! Jumping fences to go after a female down the street is common, even in dogs who have never roamed before.

Your 1-year-old or 2-year-old intact male dog may be acting like a neutered male in terms of being easy to live with, but chances are that if you leave even an easy-going fellow intact to the age of 3 years, you'll see undesirable behaviors. The age of 3 is prime time for an intact male dog to be involved with a terrible tragedy, such as those dogs who have killed children. Obviously, not all intact male dogs are aggressive child-killers. But the risk is increased, and parents need to know this, as does everyone who has a large-breed male dog. If you don't have an important reason for breeding the dog, and the right facilities to keep the dog from harming anyone, why live with this increased risk?

If you want to take your dog out and about, whether for family outings, runs at the dog park, or pursuit of dog sports such as agility, the dog will function better if neutered. Dogs are much more the victims of their own instincts than humans, less able to override impulses.

What is Sex for Dogs?

When dogs mate, they usually tie. This means they are "stuck together" due to the structures of their reproductive organs. The tie tends to last around a half hour. Dogs do sometimes mate without a tie, so the lack of one doesn't mean the encounter can't result in pregnancy. Behaviorally, though, this is quite a different sexual experience than that of humans.
    Female dogs invite breeding only when they are in heat/estrus, which comes approximately twice a year. That interval can vary by breed and by individual dog. Dogs often have "silent heats," which can go undetected by their human families and result in the dog not being carefully confined during estrus and therefore winding up with an accidental pregnancy. Female dogs are often forcibly mated. This is surely not natural sexuality.
    Looking to the wolf pack, not all members mate. The social structure of the pack and the environmental conditions at the time exert control over which pack members will mate on any given cycle in order to avoid overpopulation and starvation. Usually there will be one litter. If times are bad, there may be no pups at all.

The phenomenon of false pregnancy that is very common in female dogs may be to provide extra parenting for the pack's pups. Female dogs who live together tend to cycle together, putting the non-impregnated females in false pregnancy at the same time the pregnant one has pups in need of nurturing.

Estrus in the wolf pack comes about once a year, but humans have selectively bred dogs to be more productive and thus more profitable to breed. The result is that breeding is not "natural" for dogs. Dogs who are spay/neutered can actually have more active social lives with other dogs than those who are intact. Intact dogs experience stresses that spay/neutered dogs are spared.

People get confused about dogs' sexual attitudes toward humans. For example, a woman having her menstrual period is at the lowest estrogen level of her cycle. Conversely, a female dog in heat is loaded with estrogen. So the scent of a menstruating woman would not be sexually stimulating to a male dog or antagonizing to a female dog. If a dog seems to behave differently when a woman is having her period, it would be for other reasons.

It is wise to give your puppy opportunities to play with a puppy or gentle dog of the opposite sex from time to time when young. Though this play is seldom specifically sexual, it seems to help dogs develop sexual orientation toward other dogs, rather than toward humans, pillows, etc.

Females

Female dogs, like males, have an increased risk of aggression if left intact. Estrus can cause moodiness, and hormone changes in pregnancy can make some females downright aggressive. Her attitude can change overnight. If your dog is going to have contact with children, that's another reason to seriously consider spay/neuter.

With estrus, intact female dogs may show erratic behavior, signs of pain that may be similar to cramping in humans, and a greatly increased propensity to get out of the house or fenced yard. Some dogs stay clean, while others may leave stains around the house. You won't be able to leave her outdoors unsupervised for even a second because the scent of her urine (she will urinate quite frequently) attracts male from a mile or so away.

When a female dog is in heat, both she and the intact males in her vicinity will show changes of behavior, and many of the spay/neutered dogs in the vicinity will, too. It is not fun managing a female dog in estrous.

Many people spay their female dogs after one cycle, because it's so much more difficult than they expected it to be. Many more spay their females after one litter because it's not only more work and more heartbreak than they expected, but it's also much more expensive. Spaying the dog prior to ever getting pregnant can spare both her health and her temperament from sometimes dramatic deterioration. Also, dogs can die attempting to give birth.

Two or more female dogs in the same home will in many cases not be able to get along, especially if one or more of them are intact. Like aggression problems with male dogs, if you wait until the fighting has already begun, fighting may have become a habit that will not be changed with the relief of the hormone pressures when you spay.

Female dogs will sometimes fight each other to the death. That would not be necessary in the wild, where one of them could be driven away to form a new pack. In our homes, it's up to us to manage the dogs so that two incompatible animals are not forced to live together. Spaying dogs before they are fully mature increases the chance of them living together in peace.

Family vs. Career

An intact dog tends to expend a lot of attention and energy in the direction of reproduction. A spay/neutered dog retains the full character of its male or female identity, but has more attention and energy to devote to other things.

What things might a dog do instead of focusing on reproduction? Guide dogs are spay/neutered to help them focus on life aiding blind people. Other assistance dogs to people with disabilities are commonly spay/neutered, too, in part because it helps the dogs focus on work. Certain pups are set aside for breeding future guide dogs when they come from bloodlines of dogs who are serving well in the work and show themselves to be good prospects as they mature.

Since dogs produce litters rather than the single babies and occasional twins born to human, it's not necessary for a huge percentage of dogs to reproduce. Plenty of future dogs can come from the carefully selected dogs who live with people with time and talent to devote to responsible breeding. This is a high calling, and we're all indebted to those people who do it well. They are vital to the future of dogs. If this is what you want to do, find an expert breeder to mentor you, so that you'll be producing from the best of dogs.

Most dogs have careers as companions to humans. Through this labor of love, they enrich and even extend our lives. Spay/neuter makes it easier for us to responsibly care for dogs, and increases the enjoyable activities we and our dogs can do together.

So now you know the behavioral benefits of spay/neuter. When there is no good reason to keep a particular dog intact for breeding, spay/neuter is a great way for you and your dog to live happily ever after.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    my buddies three year old lab was getting out of hand ie:jumping the fence, growling.... just bad behavior. i used a hog band and placed it around his sack......about a month later, the sac rotted off. he is a lot better dog now. still dont listen, but a lot calmer.

Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    my buddies three year old lab was getting out of hand ie:jumping the fence, growling.... just bad behavior. i used a hog band and placed it around his sack......about a month later, the sac rotted off. he is a lot better dog now. still dont listen, but a lot calmer.
    Now thats seriously fuked up - thats like somthing a wife would keep in the drawer as a you-ain't-cheatin'-on-me threat!

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    best advice... the dog will not remember who took him to the vet..

he will blame the person that picks him up.. so make sure it's not you.. send someone he knows..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Mizfit is offline Banned
    u go could go get the same procedure done with him

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    • they will pee on everything and anything - including all furniture, curtains, shoes, and handbags in your house.
    • a major change of behaviour around bitches "in season". Once a dog has actually had sex, this behaviour can be magnified significantly on future occasions when coming in contact with fertile bitches.
    • many dogs will actively seek fertile bitches breaking out of seemingly secure fences. Indeed we have a friend whose dog broke his chain, then broke out of a shed, then chewed through fences, and got into the house where the bitch was housed, and was able to breed with her producing pups 9 weeks later.
    • sometimes dogs will be aggressive to other dogs and may hump any other dog (males included) that he finds. This behaviour can go on for some time.
    • often dogs not neutered will seek out neutered males to hump. You can imagine the outcomes that this can have in terms of aggressiveness (not to mention your embarrassment)
    • sometimes the dog will refuse to eat whenever they smell a fertile bitch
    • male dogs can sometimes be quite aggressive to a female in season
    • male dogs seeking to fulfil their sexual drive will often hump anything or anyone that moves
    • male dogs can howl and cry for weeks while a bitch is in season within smelling distance of them (and believe me, this will drive you nuts)
    • often males will exude a smell related to the sex hormones when a bitch is in season. This smell is appalling, and you will be doing your best to figure out how to get rid of it. (good luck - we haven't figured out a way yet).
    This is me on Test.

manc is offline Member
    you could wait till he is older and see if does pee all over and chase bitches.
    doesnt have to be done young..

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    if you get that done to him. you should put him on a tren cycle.

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a Wire Fox that was fixed. It messed up his hormones. His thyroid,
    I have to give him pills ever day am & pm. He is pathetic lost his agression
    and is lazy as hell. I have a female Airedale who I did not fix. She is a hand full. Lots of energy and the alpha dog. You got to think how the
    loss of hormones will affect his behavior and if it is best for your situation.

DamnYouMSN is offline Anabolic Member
    cut the balls off....

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I have had my male golden for 2+ years, havent cut his balls off yet. He gets horny around other female dogs, but thats about it. I house trained him after one week of ownership, and have never had any problems with him doing stupid shit around my house. I don't know how much of a health benefit it is now for him to lose his balls. Plus he is a purebreed golden, so i can always stud him heh.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    He will be healthier and alot better pet, what's the debate? I get mine from the local shelter and you have to have them fixed before you can take them home.

eightball17 is offline Associate Member
    I have it done to all my dogs, They won't stray off as bad, But they'll usually gain weight

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Get it done. It is normal to feel bad, but it is better for his health, unless you want to breed him. The dogs health should be your main concern, and I have never seen too much of a change in attitude in any of my dogs. The earlier the better though.. Goodluck bro

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    friends dog had it done.still a maniac dog did nothing pisses everywhere strangly still humps things, anyone heard of juicing up your dog?what dose?is that cruel?

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta
    friends dog had it done.still a maniac dog did nothing pisses everywhere strangly still humps things, anyone heard of juicing up your dog?what dose?is that cruel?
    Would you be refering to Vet grade?

hotstuff is offline Female Member
    Once a dog has actually had sex, this behaviour can be magnified significantly on future occasions when coming in contact with fertile bitches

male dogs can sometimes be quite aggressive to a female in season
    male dogs seeking to fulfil their sexual drive will often hump anything or anyone that moves
    When a male dog is after a fertile bitch, that is the only thing on his mind. He will do anything that he can think of to get at bitches.

THis sounds like most guys I know.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hotstuff
    Once a dog has actually had sex, this behaviour can be magnified significantly on future occasions when coming in contact with fertile bitches

male dogs can sometimes be quite aggressive to a female in season
    male dogs seeking to fulfil their sexual drive will often hump anything or anyone that moves
    When a male dog is after a fertile bitch, that is the only thing on his mind. He will do anything that he can think of to get at bitches.

THis sounds like most guys I know.

hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Ufa
    Would you be refering to Vet grade?
    yeah the stuff they use on horses and cattle

I couldn't do it. I had him do a general check up and get some shots updated instead.

A few reasons:
    • He isn't around other dogs (especially females) were we live and take him outside - just stray cats! So there is little temptation.
    • The surgery can wait - only potential drawback is if he developed bad habits that having the surgery early would have stopped. I'll take the risk... so far he is a good dog.
    • God gave him those testes in support of a proper hormonal balance.
    • Low testosterone could lead to less skeletal muscle, weaker bone density, depression or lowered general disposition and other issues.
    • He is only a year old and I feel he should be completely and totally finished maturing before I start fuking up his endocrine system.
    If this was a female, the bitch would have been cut. But since this is a male about to lose his manhood... Ima gonna wait on it... can't do it... pfft...
    So the boy keeps his testes... and testosterone !

For now...

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    let him bang a poodle or somthing

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Give him some tren and get him all huge an shit, then at least he could still get bitches with his looks.

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    I didn't know about dogs pissing allover the house if not fixed, i know that if you don't get cats fixed before they start to spray then even once you do fix them they will then continue to spray allover the house.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I couldn't do it. I had him do a general check up and get some shots updated instead.

He is only a year old and I feel he should be completely and totally finished maturing before I start fuking up his endocrine system.
    That's the way I would look at it. Unless we have a male that isn't suited for breeding, we don't have one neutered unless there is a problem like an undescended testicle (monorchid).

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

juiceboxxx is offline Banned
    cut his big balls off

[QUOTE=Warrior]I couldn't do it. I had him do a general check up and get some shots updated instead.

A few reasons:
    [LIST][*]He isn't around other dogs (especially females) were we live and take him outside - just stray cats! So there is little temptation.[*]The surgery can wait - only potential drawback is if he developed bad habits that having the surgery early would have stopped. I'll take the risk... so far he is a good dog.[*]God gave him those testes in support of a proper hormonal balance.[*]Low testosterone could lead to less skeletal muscle, weaker bone density, depression or lowered general disposition and other issues.

good on you man

Thread Information