Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I WANT ONE. bloody england, that things gonna cost big time, and we probably wont get that for a while.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm really hapy with my ipod from Apple. Its really user friendly so I expect the same from the iphone. I have Verizon now but I will defenetly give Cingular a try. Anyone else making the move just for the phone.
    Say I

aadrenaline is offline Banned
    i wanty too bad i have verizon

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    I would NEVER go back to Cingular i don't care how good the phones are.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI
    CNN LINK

There was some question as to whether Apple would be able to use the iPhone name for the device. But Cisco Systems (down $0.13 to $28.50, Charts), which owns the rights to the iPhone name, said Tuesday it expects to reach agreement with Apple later Tuesday on using the name for its device.

"Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today Apple intends to agree to the final documents and public statement that were distributed to them last night and addressed a few remaining items," Cisco said in a statement obtained by CNN. "We expect to receive a signed agreement today."
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
    Last edited by Kale; 01-10-2007 at 12:35 AM.

manwithin is offline Associate Member
    Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
    Cisco Systems said Wednesday that it has filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California against Apple for using its trademark iPhone.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    do they even have an iphone in the works? **** cisco if they just want to sit on trademarks. maybe apple's legal team could get around it entirely if they argue iphone as being a multimedia center/pda/cellphone as opposed to just a cellphone so they could argue they're not direct competitors? meh streetch i guess.

yes you can buy a iphone from cisco it's a home ip phone what works with skype... they sell it they own the name "iphone" simple as that..... maybe apple can call there phone icell or italk or someshit....lol

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    do they even have an iphone in the works? **** cisco if they just want to sit on trademarks. maybe apple's legal team could get around it entirely if they argue iphone as being a multimedia center/pda/cellphone as opposed to just a cellphone so they could argue they're not direct competitors? meh streetch i guess.
    Read my post it has this link in it http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel... isitorWrapper
    Now here is the article http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news...&cm_ite=NA
    Last edited by Kale; 01-10-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name

SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems sued Apple Inc. in federal court Wednesday, saying the computer maker's new iPhone violates its trademark.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, came just a day after Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the Apple iPhone in dramatic fashion at a trade show in San Francisco.

But even while Jobs was trumpeting the product during his keynote address to Apple faithful, the matter of the product's naming had not been resolved behind the scenes between two of the biggest names in Silicon Valley.

San Jose-based Cisco, the world's largest network-equipment maker, has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

But on Tuesday, Jobs unveiled Apple's own iPhone, a "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said she could not immediately comment on the lawsuit.

Cisco said Tuesday it had been negotiating for several years with Apple over a licensing agreement, but that Apple lawyers had not signed and returned the final contract.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

Cisco finally sees Apple's product and sees how much money Apple will make and now they want a bigger piece of it.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Yesterday Cisco published an official statement about the Apple's iPhone introduction:

Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statement that were distributed to them last night and that addressed a few remaining items. We expect to receive a signed agreement today.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Yesterday I got a $15,000 raise. I don't care how much this thing costs I"m buying 2 of them for my bf and I.
    Wow congrats on the raise dude!!!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Wow congrats on the raise dude!!!
    Thanks. It's weird how it worked out. I'm working in the same office, same position, in the same department with different managers and reporting structure. Yet we make $15,000 more and get 3 weeks paid vacation. You gotta love the coporate world. Right now I do.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. It's weird how it worked out. I'm working in the same office, same position, in the same department with different managers and reporting structure. Yet we make $15,000 more and get 3 weeks paid vacation. You gotta love the coporate world. Right now I do.

Are they hiring?jk I gota bust my ass in real estate to make money these days!

Back on topic; I haven't stopped thinking about how awesome this phone is. Man, I'm a nerd.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    That phone is sick. I am going to get one for the wifey. She will love it.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    very nice iphone.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I bet you love it!! Wanna work my job for a bit and get me a 15 G raise

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Good lord . . . all I want is a phone that I can make calls on. And that rings like a telephone.

I hate my cellphone . . . it's got too many gd buttons, and I still can't figure out how to turn it off, so I just pull out the battery.

Jay-Ace is offline Member
    What would be nice is if Cisco & Apple, Inc can combine their collective efforts and expertise and release a single iPhone in the future.

An apple-esque phone with the IP phone technology of Cisco perhaps, in the UK we have phones which are cell when you're away from home and then work on IP or regular dialling network when at home!!

Now that would be cool, and a testament to good business relations!!

Snrf is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by donniebrasco
    I WANT ONE. bloody england, that things gonna cost big time, and we probably wont get that for a while.

we're ahead of them phone-wise in pretty much every other way. they pay out the ass for phones we get free with our contracts. im gonna try and get one of these on my plan, i got an upgrade coming in 4 or 5 months

STYLE74 is offline Got Style?
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTMuscle
    That thing is awesome, I wish Verizon got it!
    Ditto!!

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    That phone is sick. I am going to get one for the wifey. She will love it.
    My new position... Not only do I get a Sony discount... I can buy Apple products at our corporate discount price. The limit is something like 10 products a year so i can't go into business selling computers on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Snrfmaster
    we're ahead of them phone-wise in pretty much every other way. they pay out the ass for phones we get free with our contracts. im gonna try and get one of these on my plan, i got an upgrade coming in 4 or 5 months
    This is the first time we're getting the latest and greatest before you guys.

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member
    I wonder if elvisinturn1 is going to have that phone soon. If I remember right, he works for Cingular and checks out all their phones before the releases.
    Uhm... I had it 4 months ago I have it in my pocket actually

Alright, now that I can "talk" about this, let me give you an update. The iPhone is FCC approved. It is currently in our final testing phases. This testing is for TRP (total radiated power) and TIS (total isotrophic sensitivity.) These two tests are the final steps in Cingular certification. These steps are to verify that it "talks" to our network well enough that it doesn't hurt our name as a carrier. We have guidelines regarding the "radio" in the phone to make sure it gets good signal levels and registers properly with base stations (towers.) So, we are FURIOUSLY getting this stuff done. PTCRB approval has been granted. Now for two more steps which are already in the lab and we're done. The phone can be sold thru Cingular channels. Expect to see it "sooner" than stated.

A couple FYI's:

1. Don't pay attention to those prices. Those prices are "off the shelf" MSRP WITHOUT activation. You can deduct $200.00 off the price with a 2 year contract or $100.00 with a 1 year contract.

2. Because the phone is "hot" don't expect to upgrade your current phone with Cingular to the iPhone for the first several months. It will be for new customers only with new contract.

3. The current EDGE version will only be sold for the first several months. EDGE will give real world results of about 100 KB on the Cingular network. However, there IS a HSDPA version coming out after the "preliminary" launch that will give about 2 MB download speeds thru Cingular. HSDPA over UMTS to be exact for the techies. Expect to see this change after about 6 months.

4. The iPhone runs a full blown mobile version of OS X. That means for Apple users on the desktop side, well.... let's just say that the phone can do whatever your computer can. OSX iChat + HSDPA highspeed connection equals... video chat It also means that OS X mobile can be upgraded with a simple download and OS X native apps WILL run on the phone.

5. Cingular has an exclusive on this phone, so forget about ever getting one on Verizon. You can also forget getting an unlocked version of this phone. Never happen any time soon. It's locked within OS X so unless you can truly hack a full OS and find the "lock" then you ain't unlocking the phone from Cingular.

So, there's what I can tell you. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and wants to see it or make a phone call in person, let me know. I'll be happy to let you try it out.

p.s. No, I can't sell you one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisinturn1
    Uhm... I had it 4 months ago I have it in my pocket actually

That's awesome. I'm jealous!

1. Don't pay attention to those prices. Those prices are "off the shelf" MSRP WITHOUT activation. You can deduct $200.00 off the price with a 2 year contract or $100.00 with a 1 year contract.
    If I already have cingular service and I do not want to extend my contract I would have to pay the $499 or $599 price correct?

2. Because the phone is "hot" don't expect to upgrade your current phone with Cingular to the iPhone for the first several months. It will be for new customers only with new contract.
    To get around that can't you just buy the phone directly from the Apple Store?

3. The current EDGE version will only be sold for the first several months. EDGE will give real world results of about 100 KB on the Cingular network. However, there IS a HSDPA version coming out after the "preliminary" launch that will give about 2 MB download speeds thru Cingular. HSDPA over UMTS to be exact for the techies. Expect to see this change after about 6 months.
    This is the problem for me. I want to have the G3 version. Does Cingular have HSDPA or G3 coverage in NYC and New Jersey? You said it will be out in 6 months. 6 months from today or 6 months after the Edge version of the phone?

4. The iPhone runs a full blown mobile version of OS X. That means for Apple users on the desktop side, well.... let's just say that the phone can do whatever your computer can. OSX iChat + HSDPA highspeed connection equals... video chat.
    How can the phone do video chats when the camera is on the back? I'd have to flip over the phone and I wouldn't be able to see the person I'm talking to.

5. Cingular has an exclusive on this phone, so forget about ever getting one on Verizon. You can also forget getting an unlocked version of this phone. Never happen any time soon. It's locked within OS X so unless you can truly hack a full OS and find the "lock" then you ain't unlocking the phone from Cingular.
    OS X has been hacked to run on any standard PC. I'm sure some creative person will find a way.

So, there's what I can tell you. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and wants to see it or make a phone call in person, let me know. I'll be happy to let you try it out.
    When are you bringing your ass to NYC?

Rogers to offer Apple iPhone in Canada

Canadian cellular provider Rogers today said it intends to carry Apple's newly unveiled iPhone, according to company officials speaking with Web developer John Wiseman. While the company provided no specific release information for the Apple handset during Steve Jobs' MacWorld San Francisco keynote beyond the June release for Cingular subscribers in the U.S., the Canadian firm says it is already in the early planning stages to bring the device to its service, which is the largest GSM-based network in Canada. The phone will be available with either two- or three- year contracts -- potentially lowering the initial cost for long-term users versus the American two-year requirement -- but will also be linked to a data plan for the carrier's EDGE network. Rogers has not provided an official timeframe for the release of the iPhone in Canada, but the company has historically offered smartphones to Canadians between 6-8 months after the device is released in the U.S., placing an introduction roughly between late 2007 and early 2008.

If I already have cingular service and I do not want to extend my contract I would have to pay the $499 or $599 price correct?

To get around that can't you just buy the phone directly from the Apple Store?

This is the problem for me. I want to have the G3 version. Does Cingular have HSDPA or G3 coverage in NYC and New Jersey? You said it will be out in 6 months. 6 months from today or 6 months after the Edge version of the phone?

How can the phone do video chats when the camera is on the back? I'd have to flip over the phone and I wouldn't be able to see the person I'm talking to.

OS X has been hacked to run on any standard PC. I'm sure some creative person will find a way.

When are you bringing your ass to NYC?
    1. There is "limited" numbers of units being built on the first production run. Those limited numbers are for Cingular customers first.

2. Cingular has 3G in your area. The 3G version will come out 6 months after the initial EDGE version.

3. Remember it has a full version of OS X. It also has an iPod connector. iPod video + any video display = video chat. Connect it to your TV thru the iPod dock. Use the TV for a display and the camera on the phone for the camera. Use the Apple remote from the video dock to control it all.

4. Your right, but it won't be as easy as a standard "unlock" as it is with other phones. Other phones unlocking only requires to change the PUK file.

5. Never. No reason to come to NY.

Blog Entries
    So Elvis are you recommending to wait until the "second wave" of these phones are released to ensure you are getting the best one or is the first generation almost as fast?

Apple calls Cisco iPhone lawsuit "silly"...

Apple and Cisco are continuing to square off over the iPhone trademark, following the lawsuit filed by Cisco over willful trademark infringement. Apple today called the lawsuit "silly," while Cisco said it was willing to share iPhone with Apple. Earlier this week, Cisco said that Apple refused to send over final agreement paper on Tuesday and that it had no choice but to sue Apple over willful trademark violations, when Apple announced the iPhone on Tuesday without permission. Apple spokesman Steve Dowling called the Cisco lawsuit "silly," saying there are several companies using the term iPhone for VOIP products, and Cisco's trademark is "tenuous at best." "We're the first company to ever use the iPhone name for a cellphone," he told the WSJ. "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we're very confident we'll prevail."

Apple calls Cisco iPhone lawsuit "silly"...

Apple and Cisco are continuing to square off over the iPhone trademark, following the lawsuit filed by Cisco over willful trademark infringement. Apple today called the lawsuit "silly," while Cisco said it was willing to share iPhone with Apple. Earlier this week, Cisco said that Apple refused to send over final agreement paper on Tuesday and that it had no choice but to sue Apple over willful trademark violations, when Apple announced the iPhone on Tuesday without permission. Apple spokesman Steve Dowling called the Cisco lawsuit "silly," saying there are several companies using the term iPhone for VOIP products, and Cisco's trademark is "tenuous at best." "We're the first company to ever use the iPhone name for a cellphone," he told the WSJ. "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we're very confident we'll prevail."
    I don't see how it's silly it's cisco's trademark and it's a phone.... I would like to see ford come out with a car called the camry. and on one more note the Phone users can not just add any program they want it has to be licensed for use on the Aphone, you can't just run whatever your computer can.

Apple isn't stupid. It's probably cheaper for them to get sued than to pay what Cisco is asking for.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday I got a $15,000 raise. I don't care how much this thing costs I"m buying 2 of them for my bf and I.
    3 or i will tell Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxxr
    3 or i will tell Lee.
    Hey! That was the day after and he knows. I get a leasing discount as one of my benefits. He's already car shopping.

So Elvis are you recommending to wait until the "second wave" of these phones are released to ensure you are getting the best one or is the first generation almost as fast?
    Actually, it doesn't matter. The first generation and second will be the "same" in regards to hardware. the only difference is the operating system. If you buy the first release, when the update comes out you can download the "updates" to make the first one as good as the second. Imagine doing a "software update" like you would on your computer. That's the beauty of OS X on the phone.

Blog Entries
    Actually, it doesn't matter. The first generation and second will be the "same" in regards to hardware. the only difference is the operating system. If you buy the first release, when the update comes out you can download the "updates" to make the first one as good as the second. Imagine doing a "software update" like you would on your computer. That's the beauty of OS X on the phone.

Excellent. I can't wait to get rid of my Treo for this!

Quote Originally Posted by manwithin
    I don't see how it's silly it's cisco's trademark and it's a phone.... I would like to see ford come out with a car called the camry. and on one more note the Phone users can not just add any program they want it has to be licensed for use on the Aphone, you can't just run whatever your computer can.
    Cisco is stupid for doing this. First off, everyone knows that the Cisco iPhone is in no jeopardy of Apple's cell. If anything, it will HELP Cisco's "trade name" for their iPhone product and give it familiarity. Second, Cisco is in position to argue with Apple simply because Apple is it's own powerhouse in the industry. Last thing Cisco needs is a rival who could sell billions of $ worth of Cisco equipment. Apple is quickly broadening it's horizons as far as more than just computers, so if I was Cisco I'd shut up and get on the train before Apple bitch smacks them later when they make something Cisco wants to integrate too. There's more than one Microsoft, and if you notice, Apple is taking over rather quickly. Apart from PC software, Microsoft doesn't have shit on Apple. Should the day come where the business world likes Apple better, Microsoft is in trouble. If Cisco was smart, they would have licensed or sold the name because nobody gives a shit about their stupid IP phone. When's the last time you've seen a Cisco product on the front page of every media outlet in the world? Apple has a ton of power and it's best not to second guess it.

If Cisco was smart, they would have licensed or sold the name because nobody gives a shit about their stupid IP phone.
    and check your PMs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information