New gym. Feeling awkward. kinda sh!tty.

so i went to a small gym for a low rate previously, only a hand full of members but they didnt have the equipment others did.

so i switched to this bigger more well know lifetime fitness gym. and its alittle awkward in there or maybe its just some kind of social anxiety thing i developed.

another thing that sucks is that no one spots eachother! i was having a not so good day in the gym and knew no one to spot me so i just went lower weight and higher reps on bench but out of the blue i lost it. struggling for a good minute, and ended up dumping the bar, with 30-40 people around me, some just sitting and resting. i get up form the bar and theres a few people looking at me like wtf are you doing? well shit had i a spotter i would have had a good set... but nooo

i get in there and its kinda quiet even though theres alot of people. everyone stairs around and at you. i almost dont feel comfortable.

think ill get over it and eventually get settled in or what? does this happen to other people as well? because the 200 activation fee and 40 a month is killin me and when i look around at so many people not using spotters or any friendly faces for that matter its really not fun to go to the gym anymore.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    youll prob get more comfortable once u go there a few times, see a few familiar faces and what not.

and i have never heard of anyone denying a spot when asked. did u ask any for a spot or just hope some1 would offer?

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    dam that sucks my gym is medium but eveyones knows each other its like family. My first day at gym I met 6 people we talked was fun by the end of the week I knew everyone at the gym. Guess ***ends on the ppl. Maybe if you start asking ppl to spot them it will start a trend and everyone wil start helping out.

ya i was thinking so. the gym hasnt even been open a month so i doubt anyone really knows eachother.

i wasnt sure if it was me or not it just wasnt comfortable. guess its my fault for not asking anyone but everyone there just didnt seem too friendly

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Smile and nod, smile and nod, smile and nod...etc. Do that a few times and get a few smiles from people then you'll feel more comfortable. As far as people spotting...JUST ASK! I go to a HUGE gym which is more of a "family gym" but they have the best equipment around and I've found a few people that are there the same times as me that I can chat with and lift with occasionally.

Serotonin is offline Member
    Yea I feel your pain man. I switched to a new gym after going to Fitworks for 2 years... but I moved pretty far from that city and a brand-new Powerhouse opened up by my new apartment and I had to join it. The equipment is MINT and lots of awesome extras there. I did notice not many spots going on but if you need one just ask! Eventually you'll get to know people if you talk with them.

My new gym is quickly becoming the best gym I've ever been a member of. Definitely love it!

gigem is offline Banned
    yeah bro kinda like changing schools gotta start all over but itll work itself out in time. sometimes i have initiated spots seeing someone fixing to push alot of weight ill tell them if you need a spot holler at me and they usually do .

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    old gyms suck too sometime. been at my gym on and off for 20 years. it dont matter, i can go at just about anytime and know lots of people. its a very large club, 3rd in the country. hey,DB619....ask for a spot,and break the ice with the bros, remember you the newbie....

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Just make them spot you. I do. I walk up to someone and say "hey, give me a spot!" Then I explain how many reps I'm going for and how much of a spot I want.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    I guess I get a little nervous when switching gyms, new faces, new stares, lol... Once you get used to seeing the people you'll start making small talk and feel comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018
    I guess I get a little nervous when switching gyms
    Really? I don't feel uncomfortable going to a new gym. Do you talk to a lot of people when you're there? I go to 2 gyms regularly and sometimes a 3rd or a 4th. It ***ends what body part I'm training. Some gyms have better equipment for what I'm training that day.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Its always a little awkward walking into any social place not knowing anyone. But after a few times you will notice the same people.

Just ask for a spot. Nobody is going to just offer. I never offer anyone a spot but if they ask i never say no.

I actually meet someone from here in my new gym. Unfortunately they do this with a curl bar when i see them

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I like that kind of gym, i dont want all those tits to start speaking to me!! stay the **** out of my face while im training!! Ask an instructor to spot you....

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    I like that kind of gym, i dont want all those tits to start speaking to me!! stay the **** out of my face while im training!! Ask an instructor to spot you....
    I dont want a yoga instructor spotting me

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Really? I don't feel uncomfortable going to a new gym. Do you talk to a lot of people when you're there? I go to 2 gyms regularly and sometimes a 3rd or a 4th. It ***ends what body part I'm training. Some gyms have better equipment for what I'm training that day.
    I actually don't talk to a lot of people, I have my Ipod on most of the time so no one really bothers me... Occasionally they'll ask me for a spot and I never say no... After awhile though you get to kinda know the regulars and just wave at them.

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

How to find a spotter:

Sounds like you might be one of the biggest guys at your new gym. If you're bigger than the average customer, and you're doing a ton of weight, most mere mortals will be reluctant to approach you and offer a friendly spot.

Being friendly, looking guys directly in the eye with a "Hale fellow, well met!" look will do wonders.

Also, when you ask for a spot, pick out the biggest guy and say you need a spot and you're asking him because he's the only one in the place who looks like he knows what he's doing.

This will get you a smile and a good spotter; he'll be back asking you if you need another spot as soon as you're ready for your next set.

If you are both gay, this will also get you a date.

-BigLittleTim

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with carlos. I like training at a different gym and not knowing anybody, i never feel awkward asking for a spot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLittleTim
    Sounds like you might be one of the biggest guys at your new gym. If you're bigger than the average customer, and you're doing a ton of weight, most mere mortals will be reluctant to approach you and offer a friendly spot.

Being friendly, looking guys directly in the eye with a "Hale fellow, well met!" look will do wonders.

Also, when you ask for a spot, pick out the biggest guy and say you need a spot and you're asking him because he's the only one in the place who looks like he knows what he's doing.

This will get you a smile and a good spotter; he'll be back asking you if you need another spot as soon as you're ready for your next set.

If you are both gay, this will also get you a date.

-BigLittleTim

Thread Information