Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    juicejunkie2 is offline Associate Member
    To be honest 81K miles for a BMW aren't a lot atall. With that said .. one is always taking a risk when buying a used car as you have no idea what the cars history is .. and it's a more expensive risk when it's a BMW vs a Toyota. Personally I'd buy a BMW with 81K miles over a Toyota with 81K miles but then again I have a friend who's a certified BMW mechanic (not that I've ever needed him besides for regular maint... stuff and I've owned a beemer since 1993)

skinnyhb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicejunkie2 View Post
    To be honest 81K miles for a BMW aren't a lot atall. With that said .. one is always taking a risk when buying a used car as you have no idea what the cars history is .. and it's a more expensive risk when it's a BMW vs a Toyota. Personally I'd buy a BMW with 81K miles over a Toyota with 81K miles but then again I have a friend who's a certified BMW mechanic (not that I've ever needed him besides for regular maint... stuff and I've owned a beemer since 1993)
    same goes for the Audi. problems around that mileage are control arms and turbos and clutchs.

make sure the water pump and timing belt has been done around 80,000 as that is a big job.

if you have any questions about the Audi A4, send me a PM. i spent the last six months researching the car and i got mine about 2 months ago. i bought it for $7k.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I've heard some people say that the BMW 3 series is like a "girl" car, and I have no idea why they say that, but how true is this? I personally don't even like the 5 or 7 series because they are too big, and don't even look as kool or as sporty as the 3 series, as long as it's 2000 and higher in model.

Any input?

DJ_BEEF is offline New Member
    I would say go with the 1997 bmw 528i ... or a 740 series.
    I myself drive a 1986 toyota corolla ae86 for a daily driver and just bought a 1996 bmw 740i and its the most beautiful most reliable ( so far ) and the most luxurious and smooth ride. hands down go for a bmw. toyotas are nice yes but a celica ( its a girls car ) not to mention the back seats are TINY and would be practically classified as a 2 seater when rollin large with 4 people.

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox View Post
    Been a while since I posted, anywho, I've been thinking about my next car, not too expensive though, looking at about 10 grand, and I've narrowed it down to a couple. If anyone knows about these cars or owns these cars, please gimme some advice/comments, etc...

1997 BMW 528i (Auto/Manual) (approx 160KM)

2000 BMW 328i (Auto/Manual) (approx 175KM)

1999-2001 Audi A4 (Auto/Manual) (approx 150+KM)

1998 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (90KM)

I've found all these cars in the 10 grand range, and the KM aren't bad. Those are KILOMETERS in the thousands, which if you divide by 1.6 equals MILES.

Any help or comments much appreciated

Thnx,
    T.

Eagles are like the worst cars EVER made. Plus they don't even make them anymore, so repairs would cost a fortune. Just forget about the Talon, you would regret it. I would go for one of the BMWs.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Yeah I have a toyota yaris and love it almost 40 mile to the gallon, does 85 no problem, I even hauled a large tanning bed in it (cut it up in pieces and made a few trips, but saved $160 to have it dumped) I've owned lots of cars and trucks and very happy with this little car (and little payment) brand new loaded for $14,000 with gas at $3+ a gallon you would be stupid trying to impress people with a gas guzzler, all the while wasting money. I miss my suv's, luxury and sports cars I had when gas was $1.00 a gallon (before I started business' and was stupid and fell into the trap of blowing my money on cars every 6mo. to a year)

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    Yeah I have a toyota yaris and love it almost 40 mile to the gallon, does 85 no problem, I even hauled a large tanning bed in it (cut it up in pieces and made a few trips, but saved $160 to have it dumped) I've owned lots of cars and trucks and very happy with this little car (and little payment) brand new loaded for $14,000 with gas at $3+ a gallon you would be stupid trying to impress people with a gas guzzler, all the while wasting money. I miss my suv's, luxury and sports cars I had when gas was $1.00 a gallon (before I started business' and was stupid and fell into the trap of blowing my money on cars every 6mo. to a year)
    i test drove a yaris and i was very impressed with it. great car for sure

Honda accord is the best common sense car made I wish I would have bought those rather than those pos american jokes

I see people with h2's and just just feel sorry for them and those high lift 8 mpg trucks with loud ass pipes and fuked up tires

Americans' answer to gas shortage- put a fuking hemi in an ugly ass station wagon, wtf? Those things are ugly as hell.

I have a civic and its treated me wonderfully. Used to have a lifted dodge dakota and the civic is so much more reliable, and the obvious gas savings are amazing

I had ford explorer and omg like 15-20 mpg

I get 8 gallons of gas a week and I drive alot to get to my salon and conducting business.

my dodge cost me 84 to fill up and it lasted me about a week and a bit. my civic is 34 to fill and it lasts a full 2 weeks, i love it

cd player, air, auto and heat, what more do you need? $30,000 + for a new car and $3 a gallon gas, it's a rip

Car- to get from point A to point B

Wait till you are rich to waste money on a nice car. ( I wish I would have listened when I was young)
    Everyone at ballys wasted money on new corvettes, supras, 3000 vr4's, bmw etc, (me too, it's a trap so you end up working just to survive)

Don't get me wrong, I loved those cars but I could of invested that money and been rich by now

i learned my lesson about that, vehicles are a losing investment, even if they are fun, practicality rules for me now

Yeah, me too, I think a car is a waste of money as it is, just something to get me to my stores. They don't make me money and money gets you laid quicker than a freaking car

^just wish I had some money too

me too, being a poor student sucks

I'm not even a student I had to learn everything the hard (expensive) way I'm sad now, I'm going home. Didn't make shlt today, dead as hell.

TROD17 is offline New Member
    I would stay away from the BMW, I have a 07 650ci and an 07 760li. They have been in the shop more then on the road. Buying a $10k beamer you will be lucky to drive it off the lot. I would stick with an Acura or Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by TROD17 View Post
    I would stay away from the BMW, I have a 07 650ci and an 07 760li. They have been in the shop more then on the road. Buying a $10k beamer you will be lucky to drive it off the lot. I would stick with an Acura or Toyota
    Nice

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly bro... if you are willing to drop about 10k and you like the way an audi looks go with an older S4... 2.7L twin turbo like a 99. I have an A4 that has a ton of work done to it and will beat a stock G35 I love the car! its a 2000 with 130k miles.. I replaced everything first belts, hoses, made sure it was running right. Then went with bigger turbo, exhaust, cat delete, computer upgrade, short shift, springs struts arms.. you name it. Got the car and put it together for $8,000! can't beat that with a stick! No problems yet..

With a little searching you could find a S4 with less then 100k miles for around $10,000.. then make sure you replace timing belts and such.. and if you ever want more power get a chip from AWE-tuning.com then you'll be beating STIs.. "just as fast, twice the class"

however, with the S4s of that age, the turbos can be prone to failure with little ability to predict.

and ToTheBuckeT21, what turbo did you put in?

Just K04.. but it has the PC-16 file computer upgrade. supposed to be good for 265hp but i have a quattro so that robs a lot of power to the wheels.

that is a good point with the S4.. and if you're gonna replace it you'd be better off just getting K04 turbos, they are a stock replacement.. but if I remember correctly the whole engine has to be pulled to put those in.. it would prob cost $3,000 just to replace the turbos

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21 View Post
    that is a good point with the S4.. and if you're gonna replace it you'd be better off just getting K04 turbos, they are a stock replacement.. but if I remember correctly the whole engine has to be pulled to put those in.. it would prob cost $3,000 just to replace the turbos
    that sounds about right. another thing to consider with the s4 is the insurance rates. i've heard they are obscene.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information