SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member

Wow, truth about tuna and mercury poisoning. Is it really true?

http://www.mercuryfacts.org/mercurymyths.cfm

I think I might start slamming some cans again if this is true. It is by far the leanest source of natural protein available. So easy to chug with some whole oats blended in. It's delicious too, I don't care what anyone says. It's wholesome and satisfying. And cheap as hell, too. No cooking required, no thought required, just chug it.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    There are other things that don't require cooking, or thought process but you can still chug....

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    yah, I thought it was common knowledge... had a buddy go near blind from eating one of those large cans daily for almost a month. His eyes went yellow and BP went through the roof.

I stick with 3-4 cans per week and the rest from whitefish, talapia or basa

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Mmmmm talapia is awesome.

SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    yah, I thought it was common knowledge... had a buddy go near blind from eating one of those large cans daily for almost a month. His eyes went yellow and BP went through the roof.

I stick with 3-4 cans per week and the rest from whitefish, talapia or basa
    Did you read this part?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury Myths
    Myth: You can get mercury poisoning from the amount of fish you might consume in a given week or month.

The truth: Even if it were possible for Americans to eat enough fish to jeopardize their health from mercury intake, it would take decades for these speculative health effects to accumulate. In an official 2004 joint advisory, the EPA and Food and Drug Administration concede: "One week's consumption of fish does not change the level of methyl mercury in the body much at all."

There have only been four documented cases in history of people being poisoned by mercury in their food. In Iraq from 1971 to 1972, grain treated with a mercury-containing fungicide led to 6,000 hospitalizations and 500 deaths. The mercury levels measured in mothers from this region were as high as 674 parts-per-million. By comparison, the highest mercury concentrations among American women of childbearing age are only 1.4 parts-per-million. So this may sound scary, but some of these Iraqi women had mercury levels more than 400 times higher than what typical Americans experience from eating fish.

And during the 1950s, 111 people from Minamata City, Japan were poisoned after they ate fish contaminated by a nearby spill. These fish were artificially mercury-spiked with up to 40 parts per million (that's many times more than the highest levels found in U.S. fish). And then, as now, the Japanese ate far more fish than Americans ever have. In a similar case in 1965, 120 residents of Niigata, Japan were also poisoned by industrially-contaminated fish. According to University of Rochester School of Medicine toxicologist Dr. Thomas Clarkson, these Japanese poisonings are the only clinical cases anywhere in the scientific literature that document acute mercury poisoning from fish.
    zomg, I looked up some more sites regarding this. Differing opinions. Not a lot of hard evidence from studies or trials showing that mercury is a real danger if eaten over 6-10oz/wk, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have an effect... Just because they haven't studied it enough.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 10-27-2010 at 11:00 PM.

His bloodwork came back super high in heavy metal and mercury content. Studies dont mean much when real evidence is presented.

Congress says studies show steroids are all bad!!!... mercury is where its at!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Which is why, gentlemen, you may want to consider taking NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine). It is a natural heavy metal chelator, the only oral chelator that I'm aware of, and cheap as helll.

http://www.nutriteam.com/cysteine.htm

(if you decide to buy, look for it in bulk powder, it's least expensive form)

without aas, I take it six months straight every other year. It works slowly. On aas, i take it six months every year. You will have to come up with your own plan.

I just stand next to an industrial electro magnet and have it pulled out of my pores

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I just stand next to an industrial electro magnet and have it pulled out of my pores

hahaha, thats exactly what came to mind, I was too lazy to go look it up

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Yep, canned tuna is a protein source of mine.

mmmm, tuna tacos

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    mmmm, tuna tacos
    That's just gross.... Wait, which ones? I might change my mind.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Been reading alot of this in the past, and once i read a thread a while back that it could be harmful, i could not help myself to e-mail the canned tuna company i eat from lol.

So this was the reply i got from the company.

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Conga Foods regarding Solemare tuna products.

According to the test results the mercury limit is between 0.04 – 0.06 mg/kg, and as per Australian Food standards code 1.4.1 clause 2 Maximum level of metal contamination - the mean level is 0.5 mg/kg and the limit 0.04 mg/ kg is well below the mean limit.

I hope I have answered your query, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best Regards

Monalisa Bagh

QA department

CONGA FOODS

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Been reading alot of this in the past, and once i read a thread a while back that it could be harmful, i could not help myself to e-mail the canned tuna company i eat from lol.

So this was the reply i got from the company.

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Conga Foods regarding Solemare tuna products.

According to the test results the mercury limit is between 0.04 – 0.06 mg/kg, and as per Australian Food standards code 1.4.1 clause 2 Maximum level of metal contamination - the mean level is 0.5 mg/kg and the limit 0.04 mg/ kg is well below the mean limit.

I hope I have answered your query, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best Regards

Monalisa Bagh

QA department

CONGA FOODS
    Last edited by boz; 10-29-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Soz for double post, dont know what happend there.

Thread Information