Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    While I certainly agree with the progress thats been made in the areas of science, technology, healthcare etc. Many of those changes found their roots in the 40s-60s as we have progressed as a society we were better able to provide for its members. That said the morality of that generation is sadly lacking in many today and without it we are heading to our demise very rapidly IMHO as its a lack of morality that allows us to raid soc security funds, print more money, fight wars based on imaginary weapons of mass destruction etc. etc. etc.

As to the working poor I first worked in the late 1970 and made minimum wage of $1.65 an hour. Back then a pack of ciggarettes or a gallon of gas were $0.35 and most all other COA's were in line with those figures. Back then all the minimum wage jobs were 40 hrs a week with a 8-4 or other set schedule and often with available overtime. Today to enjoy the same standard of living with cigarettes at $7 plus and gas at $3.50 you would need to make $24.67 an hour....So try to sell this wonderful picture for the minumum wage worker to someone who was not there living it.

Of course if we did provide a working wage these days guys with small companies would have to go back to being middle class and give up their second homes...so that shit aint happening without morality in place.
    Last edited by Far from massive; 01-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Ahhhh...but if you could have all of that and just simply go back to ppl having the ethics, morels and character that they had in the 40s and 50s
    Again its from who's prospective? Ask a minority in the that lived in the south about the morals or ethics of that time.
    I def dont think as a whole we had better morals or ethics in that time.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Again its from who's prospective? Ask a minority in the that lived in the south about the morals or ethics of that time.
    i think there are a fair amount of trade offs gixx. obviously racism was rampant back then which is a terrible thing. IMO the typical morals of people have been lacking since the beginning of time. adam and eve being the first example. we are all sinners and will always commit evil acts because we have the sinful nature inside us. i was discussin this with my mom a few days ago.

today i think the world appears smaller due to media, the internet, and technology so we hear about everything that goes on a lot more. but there has also been a deterioration IMO as well. as God has been taken out of things people no longer have ultimate authority to be accountable to anymore. everything is left to subjective interpretation which is why everything is all messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post

i think there are a fair amount of trade offs gixx. obviously racism was rampant back then which is a terrible thing. IMO the typical morals of people have been lacking since the beginning of time. adam and eve being the first example. we are all sinners and will always commit evil acts because we have the sinful nature inside us. i was discussin this with my mom a few days ago.

today i think the world appears smaller due to media, the internet, and technology so we hear about everything that goes on a lot more. but there has also been a deterioration IMO as well. as God has been taken out of things people no longer have ultimate authority to be accountable to anymore. everything is left to subjective interpretation which is why everything is all messed up.
    I dont want to offend you, but i think god and religion is the cause of most of the moral issues. And just leave it at that respectfully.

I dont want to offend you, but i think god and religion is the cause of most of the moral issues. And just leave it at that respectfully.
    LOL.. no problem.. i would expect that from a non-believer.. i do, however, suggest if u havent done so yet, consider doing a little investigating on ur own about God and Christianity.

often times we can be our own biggest obstacle when it comes to finding the truth. i know i was for a long time!

i am a bit curious as to how u think God is the cause of moral issues? He is definitely responsible for identifying immorality but i fail to see how He causes it? maybe some people who do not understand scripture and what it is saying misinterpret it which causes them to do things that are actually contrary to what the Bibe teaches, but i cant see a logical reason why u would think God causes immorality?

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    No disrespect to my friend 405, but this is the best argument of religion i have ever listened to. Good bless George Carlin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I get what your saying big boy! I just think that was part of the times then and it's what was socialy acceptable. I think all in all the ppl then had much better morals and character than the ppl know. If you were able to take ingredients from both then and now...remove the factors like racism then by far the ppl of the 40's and 50's were just better ppl. It was simply different times and different behaviors were considered acceptable and the social norm!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post

Ahhhh...but if you could have all of that and just simply go back to ppl having the ethics, morels and character that they had in the 40s and 50s
    Bingo

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Ahh yeah those were the days....lol

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    At least they didn't discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

canesfan804 is offline Member
    Good job Job! Always like talking to the older folks. Always have thought the 40s-50s would have been a good time to live, but Gixx just made me realize its because Im a white male. I definately think it was a simpler way of life, even to the minorities I have talked to. As for the minimum wage of the 70s FFM was talking about, whenever I talk to guys who were electricians back then they say economically that was the best times ever. The cars and homes that they had were awesome and didnt near the % of income they cost now. Good thread, even the hijacked version.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    No disrespect to my friend 405, but this is the best argument of religion i have ever listened to. Good bless George Carlin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo
    hey man i am the first to recognize that the transition from non christian to christian is not easily accomplished and can NOT be done in our own effort, it takes a work of God. we have been down this road before and i dont intend to turn this into another christianity lesson for u guys () but i will say this: knowing what i know now i would NOT give George Carlin (or any other human being for that matter) power over my eternal destination! mocking is not new and it will not go away. it can be a very dangerous tactic.. i pray the best for all u guys!

[QUOTE=Shol'va;6326386]Ahh yeah those were the days....lol QUOTE]

LOL!! sholva u can always be counted on my man! LOL.. (and excellent point!)

[QUOTE=--->>405<<---;6326560]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Ahh yeah those were the days....lol QUOTE]

LOL!! sholva u can always be counted on my man! LOL.. (and excellent point!)
    Those pics were taken just this year in KC

hey man i am the first to recognize that the transition from non christian to christian is not easily accomplished and can NOT be done in our own effort, it takes a work of God. we have been down this road before and i dont intend to turn this into another christianity lesson for u guys () but i will say this: knowing what i know now i would NOT give George Carlin (or any other human being for that matter) power over my eternal destination! mocking is not new and it will not go away. it can be a very dangerous tactic.. i pray the best for all u guys!
    In hindsight, i should have chosen the word comical instead of 'best'. Thanks for the prayers bro.

Is the last photo, the Dining Room one, for real?? Ive seen the others and they are sad too.

yeh back then black people were treated horribly. it was despicable behavior.. the notion of one human being considering themselves superior to another, ridiculous! based on what? their own opinions..

a lot of those people considered themselves christians as well. amazing.. a classic example of the misinterpretation/ignorance i was referring to earlier

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    I really do admire the 40s....With that being said, the idea of the 50's being this 'golden age' in American history is largely an illusion. The white picket fence, 2 kids, and a Cadillac in the driveway image that most people think of. But few will mention that women were still severely subjugated at this point, racism was a part of American history (not JUST the South, I live in NJ, and in an almost all white town, both towns that comprised my high school has 0 black police officers, 0 black people in city/local government, and about 20 black people living in the towns with a combined population of 20,000). Additionally, many of the clean cut upstanding white males who provided these homes, were often religiously unfaithful to their wives, had mistresses, etc. In that day and age, it was almost a given that men had extracurricular activities with females other than their wives, it just so happened that the women lacked the empowerment and fortitude to say or do anything about it, and it was largely 'ignored'.

yeh back then black people were treated horribly. it was despicable behavior.. the notion of one human being considering themselves superior to another, ridiculous! based on what? their own opinions..

a lot of those people considered themselves christians as well. amazing.. a classic example of the misinterpretation/ignorance i was referring to earlier
    Ya know I think its worth noting, that Islam/Muslims are 600 years behind Christianity. Just as Christians were responsible for mass genocides (the Crusades), executing blasphemers (scientists), burning people alive, and in general causing an impediment to the progress of science and technology from 1000 AD to the late 1700s AD, I believe that the Muslim religion is probably somewhere in the middle of that mark currently, and has to evolve to gain the tolerance the Christianity now possesses. Many would say however that Christian values have simply been compromised, but they were compromised at the expense of longer life spans (as doing autopsy's and exploring the human body was once banned by the church, think of how much we know today because those rules were eventually ignored). A great many people claim to be Christians, but few live their lives by the example of Christ, many live double lives and think little of it, fair weather Christians if you will.

wh1spa is offline Senior Member
    Thread has really derailed.. =\

Good work Lunk, Appreciated once again.

Quote Originally Posted by wh1spa View Post
    Thread has really derailed.. =\

Good work Lunk, Appreciated once again.
    I would expect nothing less in the lounge wh1spa...but TY!

losieloos is offline Associate Member
    good for you. We all should thank thw great people who serve our country.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Ya know I think its worth noting, that Islam/Muslims are 600 years behind Christianity. Just as Christians were responsible for mass genocides (the Crusades), executing blasphemers (scientists), burning people alive, and in general causing an impediment to the progress of science and technology from 1000 AD to the late 1700s AD, I believe that the Muslim religion is probably somewhere in the middle of that mark currently, and has to evolve to gain the tolerance the Christianity now possesses. Many would say however that Christian values have simply been compromised, but they were compromised at the expense of longer life spans (as doing autopsy's and exploring the human body was once banned by the church, think of how much we know today because those rules were eventually ignored). A great many people claim to be Christians, but few live their lives by the example of Christ, many live double lives and think little of it, fair weather Christians if you will.
    godfather i respect ur knowledge and input and enjoy reading most of what u post on here. i cant really comment or defend church history or early christian history (if u will) because i simply do not know it. what i can say is whenever u put anything in the hands of sinful human beings, compromise is bound to follow! as well as corruption..

u are correct about most of us not living our lives as Christ would have us live them, myself included! fortunately our salvation does NOT depend on works, lest any man should boast! i do strive to live better

godfather i respect ur knowledge and input and enjoy reading most of what u post on here. i cant really comment or defend church history or early christian history (if u will) because i simply do not know it. what i can say is whenever u put anything in the hands of sinful human beings, compromise is bound to follow! as well as corruption..

u are correct about most of us not living our lives as Christ would have us live them, myself included! fortunately our salvation does NOT depend on works, lest any man should boast! i do strive to live better
    Thank you for the kind words 405, likewise my friend. I am a Christian, and my relationship with God is a personal one, I do not preach or attempt to push my beliefs onto others, I try to push my beliefs by setting a good example, living my life in the most moral way that I'm capable of, I think that goes much further then words. I goto a non-denominational Christian church, because I do not accept the heirarchy and rules of separtist Christian church's, most of all because in some of them, they have imperfect men(and sometimes women) in positions of power, and they sometimes make judgements about people in their church, and I believe only God has the ability to judge someone, a sinner judging another sinner just doesnt bode well with me. I too strive to live better every single day, the best part is that we never 'arrive', it is very much about a continous journey and self-improvement.

^^ it seems u and i share a few things in common! i also go to a christian non-denominational church! i grew up catholic and have since switched to non-catholic doctrine for reasons u gave there as well as others. i am fortunate the Lord led me down a path where i studied the scriptures and was able to form my beliefs out of personal experience and revelation from God as opposed to what my parents told me to believe. this is a flaw i think a lot of people fall into, myself included for a time.

i, too, do not try to push my beliefs on anyone because i know the only way to faith in Christ is thru the work of God. i do, however, look for opportunity to present my beliefs in hope maybe God will use me as a tool like he used so many others to lead me to him! plus i just love to share the hope i have in Christ! everything else is really meaningless in comparison, although sometimes i dont exemplify that belief thru my actions!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^ it seems u and i share a few things in common! i also go to a christian non-denominational church! i grew up catholic and have since switched to non-catholic doctrine for reasons u gave there as well as others. i am fortunate the Lord led me down a path where i studied the scriptures and was able to form my beliefs out of personal experience and revelation from God as opposed to what my parents told me to believe. this is a flaw i think a lot of people fall into, myself included for a time.

i, too, do not try to push my beliefs on anyone because i know the only way to faith in Christ is thru the work of God. i do, however, look for opportunity to present my beliefs in hope maybe God will use me as a tool like he used so many others to lead me to him! plus i just love to share the hope i have in Christ! everything else is really meaningless in comparison, although sometimes i dont exemplify that belief thru my actions!
    Sounds all to familiar except I was Baptist. I dong go anywhere regular or even often but I have more faith and understanding than most people who got weekly. I had to set one of our pastors straight when I was 18 and he was speechless. lol Honestly I understood more when I was 7 than most if not all the members at our church. I think it has to do with the understanding of the innocent but it never changed. People make it way to difficult.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Was watching the news this afternoon and Megyn Kelly was talking about a survey study that has been done every year I since the mid-1960's. Anyway, in this years version recently released the current generation was determined to believe they are the greatest generation in American history. I saw this news story and immediately thought of this thread. The current generation believes, as determined by the study, that they are superior in intellect and ability to the generation often referred to as "The Greatest Generation."

"A new survey found that college students believe they are greatest generation in history. The results suggest a surging sense of self-worth by today’s youth. The survey has been conducted since 1966, but this year’s numbers show an unprecedented level of self-infatuation. Perhaps more telling, the survey found that there’s a disconnect between the students’ opinions of themselves and their actual ability."

Although the study/survey isn't all that surprising based on what we see every day, it's still unfathomable as to how this generation in question has talked themselves into believing this. Granted, the years of parents and teachers telling them all they're special, gifted and all winners hasn't helped anything, but the way I see it there is nothing great about this generation. Advancement? Hardly. I'd call it severe regression or a skew into a line of new stupidity.

u should google the decline of the nuclear family over time.. specifically dads presence in the home.. God created the family with each member having a crucial role. its no wonder when one or more of these roles is absent, major negative changes occur, multiplying exponentially over time..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_..._United_States

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    u should google the decline of the nuclear family over time.. specifically dads presence in the home.. God created the family with each member having a crucial role. its no wonder when one or more of these roles is absent, major negative changes occur, multiplying exponentially over time..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_..._United_States
    I agree, the decline (dramatic) in the traditional family has been a huge detriment to society. All data shows it promotes poverty and contributes to crime and social decline. It also greatly increases the issue of government dependency.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post
    Was watching the news this afternoon and Megyn Kelly was talking about a survey study that has been done every year I since the mid-1960's. Anyway, in this years version recently released the current generation was determined to believe they are the greatest generation in American history. I saw this news story and immediately thought of this thread. The current generation believes, as determined by the study, that they are superior in intellect and ability to the generation often referred to as "The Greatest Generation."

"A new survey found that college students believe they are greatest generation in history. The results suggest a surging sense of self-worth by today’s youth. The survey has been conducted since 1966, but this year’s numbers show an unprecedented level of self-infatuation. Perhaps more telling, the survey found that there’s a disconnect between the students’ opinions of themselves and their actual ability."

Although the study/survey isn't all that surprising based on what we see every day, it's still unfathomable as to how this generation in question has talked themselves into believing this. Granted, the years of parents and teachers telling them all they're special, gifted and all winners hasn't helped anything, but the way I see it there is nothing great about this generation. Advancement? Hardly. I'd call it severe regression or a skew into a line of new stupidity.
    I agree, the decline (dramatic) in the traditional family has been a huge detriment to society. All data shows it promotes poverty and contributes to crime and social decline. It also greatly increases the issue of government dependency.
    I very much like these 2 posts...great info Metel, and congrats on the promo (a bit belated)!

This generation, well, I suppose MY generation since I am 26, is a race to the middle. The "top" of what we have to offer is almost completely filled with mediocrity, and it's because a number of things, but I'd have to agree with Metalject that those being brought up in the 1990> on ward, have had no real motivators for which to strive to exploit their full potential as contributing members/citizens of our society. I remember in the late 1990's, the slew of books that came out on why you should never lay a hand on your child, and other 'instructional books' on how to be a parent, as if that is something someone needs to be taught (although in alot of instances I feel some people are such bad parents they should need a f**ing permit to procreate). The philosophy of "everyones a winner," all games at school end in a "tie," and other such feel good non-sense is a disservice to our youth. Thank God that I was pushed growing up, where B's in school were frowned upon, and a C was equivalent to me getting an F in my mind, thats what I was taught to believe. As far as school is concerned the Dept of Education being involved at a national level in education is ruining our educational system, hence forth why test scores have consistently been on a decline SINCE ITS INCEPTION. What works for people living in Orgeon, may not work for people living in Maryland, and so forth. Education was never intended to be centrally planned and governed nationally, the state & local systems were completely equipped to deal with education. Now what do we have, a bunch of progressive liberal feel gooders in Washington at the Dept of Ed, deciding what every child in America should learn, lowering the scores needed to pass (ergo, lowering the bar).

With regard to the nuclear family devolving into a status where, even if there is a man and woman as head of household, the number of families who sit down for dinner together each night has been declining raipidly since the 60's. Increasingly, because of inflation, both members of the home are required to work, leaving the children in the hands of people other then their parents, or the absence of parents being home all together. The number of 'disturbed youths" has been on the increase over the past 20 years. Granted, EVERY generation speaks to the earlier generation and believes that things are getting worse, but I am talking about a 100 year span of decline.

The evidence of this decline is evident in the people who hold the highest post in our country, the Presidency, I would argue there has not been a "GREAT President," since Ronald Raegan, its the last time we've had someone with 'all the right stuff,' occupying the oval office, and I do not say that just because I am a libertarian Republican, I believe there have been GREAT Presidents both Democrat&Republican prior to Raegan. Since then, none of our Presidents live within their means, deficit spending is just the status quo rather then something to be avoided, and our Presidents involve us in wars, errrr, I'm sorry they involve us in "conflicts," "military operations," and the most recent term from our esteemed sitting President, "kinetic operations," willy nilly without any forethought as to the consequences, financial obligations, etc. The founding fathers believed that we should goto war in only the most dire of circumstances, when the homeland of the United States was being directly threatened. Today, the lobbies, and the one for which I have the MOST disdain for AIPAC, have led our mediocre representatives in the House&Senate to act as though Israel's foreign policy interests are OUR foreign policy interests. We overthrow governments without a second thought on the blowback that it causes world wide. We send our brave, all volunteer military to fight without restraint, mostly because they have figured out a way to fight wars without the population at home having to make ANY sacrafices, no rations, no increase in taxes, and no draft. The only way that citizens in our country know that we're at war is if they turn on the news, and even that is likely to be about 2 minutes out of a 1 hour segment, as they'd much rather report on who wanted to castrate Justin Beiber, or give us the grim and gruesome details about mass shootings, as if the citizens were masochistic psychophants with Roman style bloodlust. It is inconsequential how many times the children at Newtown were shot, they are dead, why inflict even more hurt on those people by reporting details that in reality dont make a difference. We wiretap our citizens, authorize indefinite detention, and extreme rendition, and basically throw away the Constitution in the interests of a false sense of security. This is how you destroy a society, I laugh when blow hard politicians go on public media forums, and constantly talk about how we are the greatest nation in the world, says who? Repeating something over and over again does not make it true. Perhaps the most telling about our race towards mediocrity, is how for the last 30-40 years, you cannot really tell the difference between the two major political parties in our country. Sure, they make a big stink in the news media about each other, but in PRACTICE the party who holds the majority in either the executive or legislature, follows pretty much the same policies as mentioned above, deficit spending, warrantless wiretapping, extreme rendition, and basically contempt for that damn annoying Constitution.

That ends my rant on the degradation of American society.

Great post GF

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    X2. Great post!

Great post GF
    X3...and I made it through the whole thing without having to take a masterbation break

As someone who actually got to enjoy the Reagan era....I could't agree more!

I did see a TV report that the trend for stay at home moms has been on the return and that even bread winning 6 figure income mothers are choosing to bring old fashioned home values back into their homes.

What a interesting and well written comment. For a 26 year old living in America, you certainly have not been asleep at the wheel.

Thanks for that GF.

DB1982 is offline Member
    Awesome post. Gf

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quoted from the godfather, "masochistic psychophants with Roman style bloodlust"

Love it!

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    And then we also have the bad weather christians as well, aka those nut jobs in Topeka, who pray for our military to be killed and then protest at their funerals. I grew up in a small sw missouri town and went to a fire and brimstone type church, where the preacher pounded on the pulpit telling us were all going to hell in a hand basket, and were gonna fry. And don't get me started on gays. Here I am at 13-14 just questioning all these feelings and then sitting there being told I'm the worst of the worst, fitting of death. Yeah got to love those churches. Pentacost....and it's amazing how instead of preaching chapter by chapter, verse by vers the way the bible was written. Instead most preachers pick and choose what verses fit their sermon of the moment, thereby taking all things of the bible completely out of context to try and prove themselves right. Amazing!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    thegodfather is one of those rare individuals who give us hope for the future.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1;632****
    So yesterday morn. I was in Alabama for work. I found a little diner to have breakfast in before I picked up what I had gone for and headed to the airport!

I was enjoying a Western Omlette at a small table in the back while texting my wife and joking about how at least one person at each table was dressed in camo and at least one person had teeth (kidding none had teeth)

As I was finishing up an older cpl walked through the front door and headed towards a booth. I noticed the WW11 Vet hat on the gentlemans head. he was full of life and flirted with all of the waitresses who obviously knew him well. After he and his wife greeted everbody they sat down (on the same side of the booth as each other) and recieved their coffee and placed their breakfast order! I finished my drink and headed for the counter to pay my bill. I was so impressed with this old Vet for sooo many reasons and began to think about how few of them are still left.

I asked the gal at the register if I could please take care of the vet and his wifes bill. She rang it up and I paid for them both asking her to please thank him for his service for me! I walked out the door with a huge smile on my face and yet a slight sadness considering the difference between things then and things now. God bless those guys and gals and the best generation that ever lived! If you ever have an opportunity to speak to one of these guys, please do. You will never forget it!
    Major browny points for you my man, really thank you for doing what you did. Nowadays its hard to find people who still appreciate the sacrifices we make for our country especially with this new generation of people.

Have to admit got a bid misty eyed reading this.

Thank you sir

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information