Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Ol' Roman's Come Back Crusade!

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Dont except her to EVER let your forget it either, especially if she is pissed about something.

lovbyts likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Dont except her to EVER let your forget it either, especially if she is pissed about something.
    well, she is my best friends fiancé's best friend. I'm sure i'll bump into her again. And I'll try to have a bottle of tequila with me again this time.

(maybe i'll tell this lady I have a war wound and so no need to worry about things happening if she decides to take her top off again.......)

4 June 2014

So far, my average daily macros are improving. Big improvement was going to Costco and buying a case of liquid egg whites. No Fat! But you have to eat a pound to get 50 grams of protein. I'm still overdoing it with the protein powder. Consistently eating 300+ grams of protein a day, without going over your fat, isn't the easiest thing to do.

Still around 210 lbs. which isn't surprising, since I'm eating right at TDEE. I may go the rest of june, then bump TDEE, or I may not. Actually, I may reduce to lower than TDEE and reduce some BF%.

One thing is for certain. This macro calculator is an eye opener. in the past, I've always tried to eat "clean". Funny phrase. Means different things to different people. The food I ate was wholesome, mostly unprocessed, with veggies and an avoidance of simple carbs. The PROBLEM is, now that I track precisely what I eat, is that my macros were shot to shit. Probably ate too much fat (very easy to do) and not enough protein on a consistent basis.

Here are yesterdays results at a high level:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	90 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	151025

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    hey gramps, just checking on ya. i admire all the people on here who bodybuild for a living. def hard to hit macros on a consistent basis while not being totally bored by food.

5 June 2014 - 205 lbs

I'm thinking the weight is just a fluctuation. Although I looked in the mirror this morning and saw a floating rib or two. Macros were running high yesterday, with fat content the lead reason all the calories.

Yesterday was a rest day, although I did go walking for about 45 minutes with my buddy.

Here are the results of yesterdays efforts at the kitchen table:

Views:	71 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	151072
    DCI likes this.

Just back from the Texas Roadhouse. Ordered the 23oz Porterhouse, green beans, and side salad.

I'M STILL 700 CALS SHORT FOR THE DAY!?

Pretty full. May not hit my calories, although I did hit my grams of protein

here is my totals per day with a running average....

Name:	All Days.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	151083

I don't know what was going on the last three days. anything I ate, turned to smelly gas. think i'll pass on the gym today, until I know I'm ok. was really wiped out for some strange reason. my son makes these veggie shakes, heavy on the kale, cilantro, beets. I'm thinking a contributing factor may have been the cilantro?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I don't know what was going on the last three days. anything I ate, turned to smelly gas. think i'll pass on the gym today, until I know I'm ok. was really wiped out for some strange reason. my son makes these veggie shakes, heavy on the kale, cilantro, beets. I'm thinking a contributing factor may have been the cilantro?
    glad i am not sitting around you!

12 Jun 2014 - 210 Lbs

(actually, the date should read 11 Jun 2014)

I missed my protein grams by 41 yesterday. Calories were OK. Gym time is improving. Still not 100% confident, so therefore, not at 100% intensity. I'm not sure I want to return to that zone where the last set is heavy, and my whole body is shaking trying to complete the rep. This is when, for me, the risk of injury is high. So I'll stay on course, with about 90% intensity for now. I am trying a few different things, but as always, the weight is now moderate, repping slow, but still repping to failure at all the right levels (15,10,5 - that sort of thing).

It's easy to underestimate the value of diet and nutrition. Gbrice ALWAYS preached this, but for most, I don't think it fully sunk in. Self included. I was doing some dumbbell shrugs the other day, slowly, holding at the point of contraction, and the striation has really improved.

This is my yesterday's nutrition results. As always, my biggest challenge is consuming too much fat. That 14oz BBQ steak is the culprit. I have eliminated whole eggs (the previous leading culprit for too much fat consumption) and subbed by going to Costco and purchasing cases of egg whites instead. For me, I need to hit my calories and my grams of protein.

Anyways, here it is:

Views:	77 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	151262

(actually, the date should read 11 Jun 2014)I missed my protein grams by 41 yesterday. Calories were OK. Gym time is improving. Still not 100% confident, so therefore, not at 100% intensity. I'm not sure I want to return to that zone where the last set is heavy, and my whole body is shaking trying to complete the rep. This is when, for me, the risk of injury is high. So I'll stay on course, with about 90% intensity for now. I am trying a few different things, but as always, the weight is now moderate, repping slow, but still repping to failure at all the right levels (15,10,5 - that sort of thing).It's easy to underestimate the value of diet and nutrition. Gbrice ALWAYS preached this, but for most, I don't think it fully sunk in. Self included. I was doing some dumbbell shrugs the other day, slowly, holding at the point of contraction, and the striation has really improved.This is my yesterday's nutrition results. As always, my biggest challenge is consuming too much fat. That 14oz BBQ steak is the culprit. I have eliminated whole eggs (the previous leading culprit for too much fat consumption) and subbed by going to Costco and purchasing cases of egg whites instead. For me, I need to hit my calories and my grams of protein.Anyways, here it is:Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	151262
    yeah TR, gbrice def preached that, and hitting protein cals and not getting bored is hard! i have mad respect to all the bored/plain eaters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    yeah TR, gbrice def preached that, and hitting protein cals and not getting bored is hard! i have mad respect to all the bored/plain eaters out there.
    I tried PM'ing Gbrice the other week, and he is still MIA.

He may not have been the biggest bloke here, but he sure knew how to put a diet plan together!

I tried PM'ing Gbrice the other week, and he is still MIA.He may not have been the biggest bloke here, but he sure knew how to put a diet plan together!
    i haven't heard from him in a while as well. i think he was in the process of relocating a while back and was dealing with some other things. definitely miss his input.

12 Jun 2014 - 210 lbs (eating at TDEE)

Holy Hannah Montana Batman!
    I blew my macros clean out the water yesterday. 3,700cals?

I was 500 cals/short and THEN after my daughters boxing, I decided on dinner. Came home and had 3 cups of damn good raviolis and 8oz steak. Big mistake!

It was one of those guilty sins where you knew what you were doing at the time wasn't good, but you go ahead and do it anyways.

See below:

Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	151276

so to recap the last month. I'm still at 210, but no surprise since eating at TDEE. However, my physique in a relaxed state seems to have a better sculpture. the vascularity in my extremeties (arms/legs) has always been good, but now it's working it's way up into my chest and my neck. when I am lifting, striation is good, especially on shrugs (maybe because I'm standing so close to the mirror?) horseshoe on tris is starting to pop out nicely. lats have always been a bit of a challenge for me, but they seem to be progressing nicely. legs have always been on the thin side, but even they are picking up.

the biggest change to my routines is the mind/body connection. feeling every rep. holding on the contraction. getting in the zone. NOT worrying about going heavy or hitting a specific number.

and of course, the biggest change to my eating is how I track what I eat. not flying blind anymore. in the past, I made sure what I ate was clean, but at the end of the day, wasn't really sure if I ate enough protein or calories. now I do and am. Now I know and record everything I consume. and it's not the pain in the ass you might think it would be. pretty easy really, once you get everything set up.

it seems I may be on to something here.....?

---Roman

13 (Friday) Jun 2014

Well, it was Friday the 13th yesterday, and the world didn't come to a fiery end. And because it didn't, decided to go to the gym and hit the legs. They seem to be coming along nicely, but my biggest constraint is my CNS. It seems my legs can push more weight than my CNS can recover from quickly. So I just go slow, at my own pace, and do my thing.

Here are the results from yesterdays eating:

Views:	62 
ID:	151288

14 Jun 2014 - RIP

In the spirit of full disclosure, meaning discussing the good and the bad, here are yesterday's macro results:

Views:	92 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	151297

^not too often you see someone consume 5,300 calories?

Impressive, no gains were wasted yesterday that's for sure

Happy Fathers day Roman!

^thanks mate!

well, I WAS on track, until we hit the Lodi Beer Company. One 23 oz glass of porter, and a plate of fish and chips. And I guess those two 750ml bottles of Barefoot's Sweet Red may have had something to do with it too?

But I had another really good day in the gym yesterday.

Rows
    Pull downs - this one is hard for me to establish the mind/body connection, even at lower weight.
    One arm hammer pull downs
    one arm curls - one set in the hammer position - two sets in the standard position
    abs
    reverse sit ups

I'm forgetting two routines, must be the wine from last night fogging things up?

Grandeur is offline Junior Member
    ^thanks mate!

well, I WAS on track, until we hit the Lodi Beer Company. One 23 oz glass of porter, and a plate of fish and chips. And I guess those two 750ml bottles of Barefoot's Sweet Red may have had something to do with it too?

But I had another really good day in the gym yesterday.

Rows
    Pull downs - this one is hard for me to establish the mind/body connection, even at lower weight.
    One arm hammer pull downs
    one arm curls - one set in the hammer position - two sets in the standard position
    abs
    reverse sit ups

I'm forgetting two routines, must be the wine from last night fogging things up?
    Always harder at a lower weight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandeur View Post
    Always harder at a lower weight for me.
    for me, at the lower weight, I can keep my form at 100%. which means I keep ancillary muscle assistance to a minimum, and just focus on the main muscle group. But I also, when pulling down and have my elbows at their lowest, i'll clench and hold, which makes it that much more difficult, and also helps me keep in the right rep range.

Grandeur is offline Junior Member
    for me, at the lower weight, I can keep my form at 100%. which means I keep ancillary muscle assistance to a minimum, and just focus on the main muscle group. But I also, when pulling down and have my elbows at their lowest, i'll clench and hold, which makes it that much more difficult, and also helps me keep in the right rep range.
    Form is paramount. Anything less than strict is really a risk to benefit ratio. I applaud your sense, I assume you have had injuries or a setback in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandeur View Post
    Form is paramount. Anything less than strict is really a risk to benefit ratio. I applaud your sense, I assume you have had injuries or a setback in the past?
    fawk! Since joining, I've had three (3) significant injuries

1) partial hamstring tear
    2) tendonitis
    3) I forget - maybe a second tendonitis? - I've had a few minor bouts with shoulder problems too

and each time, rehab is six (6) months, except for the tendonitis, which, with the help of the TB500, knocked it down to six (6) weeks.

16 Jun 2014 - 212lbs

I keep going over my macros. yesterday I was about 800 cals over. it's all the right food, well, except for those three Guinness at the pub. which accounts for 540 calories. So I've gained a couple of pounds, but it looks good and I'm still in my 36" waist pants. not tight either.

Gym:
    Bench
    Pushups
    flys
    rope pull downs
    MP
    shrugs
    lateral raises
    reverse curls

Kitchen:

Views:	86 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	151356

19 Jun 2014 - 212 lbs

Yesterdays routine:

Seated Rows - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Overhead pull downs – wide bar – one set to failure repping at 15
    Hammer Strength Overhead pull downs - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    One arm rows – seated - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Back Flies - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Curls – Seated – One arm – 15 slow reps in the hammer position, 10/5 reps in the palm up position
    Curls – two arm – one set to failure at 15 slow reps
    Weighted Crunchies – Verticle Seated – three sets to failure all at 15 reps. One in the standard position and two in the oblique position – slow!
    Reverse Situps – face down – 15 reps to failure

Yesterdays eating:

Views:	101 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	151422

I can feel if I don't cut back on fat consumption (which ultimately drives up caloric intake) then the pounds will begin to add up. Just trying to maintain right now while going through this transition. Remember, I was sick as fvck last year, and lost a shit load of weight. So I need to take it easy for now.....

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    Sounds like things are going great! The diet is the hardest part. You can do it on any given day; but being consistent for weeks at a stretch is damn hard. You macro calculator will be a huge help when I get back on the horse. Somehow (I have no idea what I did), I have injured my ribs so badly that I can hardly sleep, much less lift. When I can't get in the gym, my motivation is shit and I feel depressed. Every time I start feeling sorry for myself, I come to this thread. I figure that if you can overcome all you've been through, I'll get through my injury, too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTaseMeBro View Post
    Sounds like things are going great! The diet is the hardest part. You can do it on any given day; but being consistent for weeks at a stretch is damn hard. You macro calculator will be a huge help when I get back on the horse. Somehow (I have no idea what I did), I have injured my ribs so badly that I can hardly sleep, much less lift. When I can't get in the gym, my motivation is shit and I feel depressed. Every time I start feeling sorry for myself, I come to this thread. I figure that if you can overcome all you've been through, I'll get through my injury, too. Thanks for the inspiration.
    thanks mate!

yeah, 2013 was one helluva year for me. hard for me to wrap my brain around all the weight loss, all the illness', and the surgeries...

....I mean, damn! I come home for a little R&R over the Christmas holidays, and end up staying five days in the hospital due to a burst appendix.

During this time, I wasn't on the board much. I felt like such a hypocrite, losing motivation, losing weight, not eating right. I wasn't drinking over there, but........
    (I'll leave that part for the imagination).

For me, it's all about routine. The routine of eating, the routine of being in the gym, and yes, the routine of being here on this board. I'm not learning as much now as I did when I first started coming here all those years ago, but I'm still learning. And we get members like Angel that have these little nuggets of knowledge I like to tap into.

So stay motivated! The hard part of what we do is the mental discipline of lifting year after year after year............
    DontTaseMeBro likes this.

20 June 2014 - Rest Day from Gym

Still hovering between 210 and 215 lbs.

No gym yesterday.

Went to watch my "nephew" play drums at a club here in town. Drank two pictures of beer. This time I played nice and only flirted with my woman. Well, except for this other lady I've known for several years, so it was just playful. Grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil from the barkeep. Put numbers down the page, and in the #1 spot, put my name. Everyone was like "what's this for"?

So I told them it's so we can take turns in the restroom, single stall, with a door lock. I hand the "list" to the next couple, and then I grab my woman by the wrist and tell her we're first on the list and we are now up to bat. She looks at me like WTF? and I'm like "don't worry, the door has a lock on it". So I tell everyone there is a ten minute time limit and I start moving in that direction. My woman is like "are you crazy"? So I tell her be happy, "It's YOUR wrist I'm grabbing!" She *Almost* gets out of her chair, but thinks about it, and sits back down.

Anyways, here are my macros from yesterday, and the beer is in there:

Views:	60 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	151453

21 Jun 2014

Really not sure how I let the day slip by me. Lost track of my eating, and supper was at 8pm. Realized too late I wasn't going to hit my macros.

Needed:
    20 oz lamb
    2 cups ravioli
    2 cups veggies

actually ate:
    15 oz lamb
    1.25 cups ravioli
    1 cup veggies

so I'm 42 grams of protein short for the day, along with some calories.

Good day at the gym.
    Here was the routine:

Bench – three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Pushups – slow to failure at 15 (visualize a board strapped to your ankles/waist/shoulders for perfect linearity)
    Flys – verticle - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Flys – various depending- this time was on the “shrug machine” (if that makes any sense)
    Front Lateral Raises – three sets to failure repping at 15/10/5
    Straight Bar Pull Down (Tris) - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5 –
    Military Press – seated - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Shrugs – Dumbell - three sets at failure repping at 15/10/5
    Reverse Curls – barbell – two sets to failure at 15/10 reps

summary of macros for the day:

Views:	80 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	151459

22 Jun 2014

Leg Day Yesterday:

Leg Press - 4 sets with near failures at 16/12/8/4
    Leg curls - 15/10/5
    Leg Extensions - 15/10/5
    Calves 19/12

Nutirition:
    Losing my appetitie for some reason. Eating correctly is becoming tough. Two days in a row missed the 16oz of scrambled egg whites.
    Been feeling irritable, and a little shakey, sides of low blood sugar
    Woke up in the middle of the night. Ate 10 oz of granola style cereal with 1 cup of 2% milk. Began to feel better right away.
    Blew my macros out of the water again. 1400 cals above TDEE. Ratio of macros suffered as a result. More or less hit my protein requirement, so that's good news.

Here is the damage:

Views:	71 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	151481

additionally, there is a bright spot. I have been averaging 283 grams/day of protein. About the mid point between my min requirement and my goal for the 40/40/20 macro split. unfortunately, for someone that planned on eating right at TDEE, the last month average is about 200 cals/day above that, as you can see below:

Views:	80 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	151483

TR, i started adding more fresh fruits and nuts into my diet and it seems to have helped with the 'shakes'/low blood glucose feel. right around lunch time i would get really shaky and eyes felt funny, but now, i am not having that feeling. are you still just eating plain oats in the AM? maybe try throwing some strawberries and walnuts into the oatmeal to see if it helps out.

TR, i started adding more fresh fruits and nuts into my diet and it seems to have helped with the 'shakes'/low blood glucose feel. right around lunch time i would get really shaky and eyes felt funny, but now, i am not having that feeling. are you still just eating plain oats in the AM? maybe try throwing some strawberries and walnuts into the oatmeal to see if it helps out.
    I wake up and immediately go for a banana. pre gym maybe another banana and when I get that shakey feeling, another banana. I'm maybe averaging 2 bananas a day. you are right. it does help

I ran out of fruit the other day, and so I ate 10 ritz crackers. not ideal, but it still worked. the crackers have a fat content I'm not comfortable, so just in "emergencies". and not very nutritious either.

^ Ever since I saw you mention a banana before walking into the gym, I have adopted it.

Been having some great workouts, good energy through out training since.

glad it worked out for you.

I'm starting to realize that for me, I can't get by with just complex carbs.

I wake up and immediately go for a banana. pre gym maybe another banana and when I get that shakey feeling, another banana. I'm maybe averaging 2 bananas a day. you are right. it does help

I ran out of fruit the other day, and so I ate 10 ritz crackers. not ideal, but it still worked. the crackers have a fat content I'm not comfortable, so just in "emergencies". and not very nutritious either.
    bananas give me indigestion. if i eat them before the gym, i will burp them up the entire workout. not sure why but bananas always make me burp

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ View Post
    ^ Ever since I saw you mention a banana before walking into the gym, I have adopted it.

Been having some great workouts, good energy through out training since.

bananas give me indigestion. if i eat them before the gym, i will burp them up the entire workout. not sure why but bananas always make me burp
    then pick another fruit, like kiwi, mango, or even a tomato. Cantelope or other mellon works good too. if you need a simple carb preworkout like I do....?

23 Jun 2014

Had a job interview, so avoided the gym and ate comfort food instead of my usual. It is what it is...
    ...nuff said!

Views:	79 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	151510

24 Jun 2014 - 210 Lbs

600 cals over TDEE but the weight is still stable.
    good day at the gym yesterday.

ID:	151525

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information