Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
I think their is merit to questioning things. The problem is to many times people look to a documentary or a news source and take it and use whatever the message is and take it as fact and form their opinions based solely on that. Never actually going on and doing their own independent research and spewing the documentary as gospel.

Big example in my life and I'm not proud of it. I'm a huge baseball fan and historian, love the game and all it's history. I was recently introduced to a new book about Ty Cobb. As any baseball person knows, Ty Cobb was a complete ass hat, racist and smear on the game of baseball. I have even gone so far in some of my baseball forums I frequent to call for his removal from the HOF. Why? Because everyone knows he was a bastard. From Al Stump, Cobb the movie, Ken Burns documentary on baseball and general knowledge about the game. We all know how evil Cobb was, or so I thought.

Turns out that he may not have been so bad after all. A lot of the folklore about him was flat out documented lies. Yet it was repeated over and over again throughout the years. As I came to learn, most of it was perpetuated from one mans' opinion and dislike of Cobb. I won't get into specifics with you guys you will have to read the book. But after reading the book three times now, mostly in disbelief and doing my own research. I basically looked at myself and thought how could I have been so gullible to fall for fake news.

It's funny that it didn't take a serious matter to wake me up to the fact that my opinion was based on what appears to be a manufactured lie. Nope, basically a kids game and a long held belief I had. That I am still not fully convinced even though there are a lot of facts smacking me in the face. So I guess in a sence I can see how people can get suckered into a way of thinking or belief.
what is the name of the book?

i was/am under the same assumption as you are about Cobb.

remember, the media was very powerful back then, just like today