View Poll Results: Who holds the belt after UFC 72?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck "The ICEMAN" Liddell

46 56.10%
  • Quinton "RAMPAGE" Jackson

36 43.90%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    odix is offline Member

Chuck Liddell vs Quinton Jackson

alright fellas, lets get this one out here early, as much as i love chuck, i think quintons style counteracts chucks too well. Quinton round 3.
    Last edited by odix; 05-01-2007 at 03:24 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Rampage will have a big octagon learning curve like cro cop has. He should have fought one more time before a title shot IMHO.

orton4 is offline Member
    dana white didnt give him one... rampage wanted another fight before a title shot... i think rampage will beat him again.. hes one of the only ones in there who wont be afraid close the range throw some punches then ground and pound him.... even though their last fight rampage out struck him ... im going with rampage again but i will not at all be suprsied if chuck pulls out another victory... i have a lot of respect for chuck

Vader79 is offline Junior Member
    What is all this i keep hearing about "steep learning curves" and "addapting to the Octagon"? That's got F all to do with this fight!

Cro Cop did not have a steep octagon learning curve, he had a right high kick connect. And don't tell me he was thrown off by Gonzaga's use of elbows for ground and pound because he's lasted out, cool as a cucumber underneath Fedor's G'n'P. Can't blame the switch to the octagon.

In this fight It'll have even less impact. Chuck doesn't utilise the cage. He's not a G'n'P er like Randy or Tito who suffs people into the cage and pounds away with elbows, he stands in middle of the ring and bangs. If anything the Octagon suits Rampage's style more. Rampage has been fighting Top level opponents for most of his career, Chuck is no step up in class. Rampage fought his first fights in a cage, I really don't belive the octagon will have any bearing on this fight. And the Unified rules of the UFC should't bother him either, Chuck rarely elbows & I've never seen Rampage going for the stomps and soccer kicks (man it feels wrong calling football soccer).

Bottom line, there can be no excuses relating to the fight being in an octagon under unified rules. The change of environment might have an effect of some fighters (I'm thinking Chute Box's love of stomps, Herrings knees on the ground etc) but not these two.

My 2p

testisbest is offline Senior Member
    Chuck by tko, not sure when yet. Wonder how many people will use the cage as an excuse for Rampage's loss. Ya'll do know that Chuck only got 1 fight in the ring before his fight against the then #1 contender in Quinton. It should make for an exciting fight and I hope both guys come in at 100%. I don't know who I want to see win as I like both guys.

ALPHAMALE77 is offline Junior Member
    Rampage In The Second..imo....i Like Chuck But Rampage Is One Of Us Good Ol Tennessee Boyz.....plus Chuck Has To Lose Sometime(dont He?)

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader79
    What is all this i keep hearing about "steep learning curves" and "addapting to the Octagon"? That's got F all to do with this fight!

Cro Cop did not have a steep octagon learning curve, he had a right high kick connect. And don't tell me he was thrown off by Gonzaga's use of elbows for ground and pound because he's lasted out, cool as a cucumber underneath Fedor's G'n'P. Can't blame the switch to the octagon.

In this fight It'll have even less impact. Chuck doesn't utilise the cage. He's not a G'n'P er like Randy or Tito who suffs people into the cage and pounds away with elbows, he stands in middle of the ring and bangs. If anything the Octagon suits Rampage's style more. Rampage has been fighting Top level opponents for most of his career, Chuck is no step up in class. Rampage fought his first fights in a cage, I really don't belive the octagon will have any bearing on this fight. And the Unified rules of the UFC should't bother him either, Chuck rarely elbows & I've never seen Rampage going for the stomps and soccer kicks (man it feels wrong calling football soccer).

Bottom line, there can be no excuses relating to the fight being in an octagon under unified rules. The change of environment might have an effect of some fighters (I'm thinking Chute Box's love of stomps, Herrings knees on the ground etc) but not these two.

My 2p
    x2. kick to the head doesnt equal octagon learning curve.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    The Iceman

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Rampage will have a big octagon learning curve like cro cop has. He should have fought one more time before a title shot IMHO.

You do realise that unlike CroCop that Rampage has fought in a cage many times right? He began his career fighting in the cage and has fought 2x in a cage since leaving Pride. There is no learning curve for him.

I'm going with Randy Couture on this and say Rampage owns Chuck.
    ***No source checks!!!***

pepperoni is offline Associate Member
    Chuck 2nd or 3rd round tko

Mark Yager is offline Junior Member
    Chucks going to take this. He's a different fighter tan last time the went at it. Early second round.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    You do realise that unlike CroCop that Rampage has fought in a cage many times right? He began his career fighting in the cage and has fought 2x in a cage since leaving Pride. There is no learning curve for him.

I'm going with Randy Couture on this and say Rampage owns Chuck.
    I was not aware of that, I stand corrected.

Quil is offline Member
    I'm going with Page. I've got a feeling on this one...

I know I won't bet a dime on this fight because of the way these fights have been going in '07.

llrockyll is offline Member
    i just hope chuck comes prepared for this fight, he doesnt always keep in great shape in between fights like some other top fighters do. so i think the longer the fight goes the better chance rampage has of winning.

chuck hasnt fought a good striker since he was in japan(pride), so i dont know where people get off saying he is a diff fighter now. if by diff fighter they mean he spent the last 4 years fighting grapplers, then yes, he is a diff fighter. fight could go either way but i think rampage is gonna take it i just dont think chuck can back pedal, counter punch and sprawl his way outta this one

johnmacdan is offline Associate Member
    Chuck got rocked by the skinny kid in pride that carries the hammer with him to the ring and he isn't a top striker like Rampage. I still like Chuck though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmacdan
    Chuck got rocked by the skinny kid in pride that carries the hammer with him to the ring and he isn't a top striker like Rampage. I still like Chuck though.
    Presumably you mean Alexander "The Demolition Man" Overeem? One of the More solid straight strikers in MMA. Before he gasses out he generally gives pretty much everyone bit of a pounding. Skinny? if 220lbs at 6'3" and about 8%BF is skinny, you must be one seriously chunky S.O.B.

Presumably you mean Alexander "The Demolition Man" Overeem? One of the More solid straight strikers in MMA. Before he gasses out he generally gives pretty much everyone bit of a pounding. Skinny? if 220lbs at 6'3" and about 8%BF is skinny, you must be one seriously chunky S.O.B.

It's Alistair Overeem .... not Alexander

and he's 6'5 205

Quote Originally Posted by johnmacdan

Chuck KO'd Overeem ... who happens to be a pretty good striker

Sorry Alistar!

I know it says 6'5" and 205 on sherdog, But I don't think he's quite that tall and the only time he'll ever weigh 205 is on the day on the wei***n for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33
    Chuck KO'd Overeem ... who happens to be a pretty good striker

Who was only on his 3rd or 4th fight at the time and around 21yrs old. He gave Chuck a pretty good test and even made Chuck shoot on him.

I just think this is a bad matchup for Chuck, there won't be much sprawling unless Chuck shoots on Rampage. Rampage is going in there and banging it out.

Sorry Alistar!

I know it says 6'5" and 205 on sherdog, But I don't think he's quite that tall and the only time he'll ever weigh 205 is on the day on the wei***n for a few hours.

Yes, he is that tall. I stood next to him in Vegas in February and had a discussion about making 205lbs.

He is a funny guy, him and his brother Valentijn.

Mogamedogz is offline Member
    Jackson is going to beat the Mo-hawk off of Chucks skull. Lidell is a product of the UFC Hype machine.

There is nothing in Lidell's game that makes me think he has a better chance now to beat Jackson than the last time they fought.

People act like somehow Lidell is dramactically better than he was when Rampage smashed his ass in the first go round. I call Bullshiit!! Chuck is getting owned again. No doubt.

I got $50 on Rampage if anyone wants that action... bring it. Hit me on the PM, and we can work it out.

- "AHHHH!!! STOP BEATING MY BRAINS OUT MR. RAMPAGE!!! PLEASEE!! IM YOUR BITCH!!

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    I voted based on who i would like to see win but im pretty much done saying who is going to win in a fight. There have been quite a few upsets lately and you just never know whats going to happen.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I got a strange feeling that Liddel will win this one.

Dont forget he uses xyience supplements now.

It's all in the Xyience man, and Jesus Christ.

They get more post fight props that anyone.

odix is offline Member
    quintons ahead!

gigem is offline Banned
    chuck is going to take it

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    It's all in the Xyience man, and Jesus Christ.

They get more post fight props that anyone.
    Yeah theses commercials are a real joke (Chuck Liddell) since Chuck started using Xyience he never lost a fight.

Now you know my name is Chuck Liddell and i use Xyience.

What a joke.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    skill wise it will be very close, will just come down to who is having the better day, odd wise id say its completely even

Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    Dont forget he uses xyience supplements now.
    Yeah, no shit. I forgot that, Rampage is ****ed now becasue remember the slogan "Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell became the LHW champ of the UFC after using Xyience"...

In reality:

Rampage by making Chuck look like a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Yeah, no shit. I forgot that, Rampage is ****ed now becasue remember the slogan "Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell became the LHW champ of the UFC after using Xyience"...

In reality:

Rampage by making Chuck look like a clown.
    You really think that it'll be that one sided?

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    wow! I cant believe how close this poll is.. I guess a lot of ppl are still on the pride ban-wagon.. Cro-cop just fell.. Mmm, Rampage next??

Quote Originally Posted by testisbest
    You really think that it'll be that one sided?

I just have a feeling Chuck is gonna look like shit against Rampage and the TUF crowd will be in for a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre
    wow! I cant believe how close this poll is.. I guess a lot of ppl are still on the pride ban-wagon.. Cro-cop just fell.. Mmm, Rampage next??

Why does it have to be a Pride vs UFC issue?

What is it with your type?

The ****ing matchup is just awful for Chuck, have you not seen the fights and what both bring to the table?

Quil is offline Member
    Yeah, not to mention Rampage has been out of Pride for a while. He had the fight with Lindland in WFA before he joined the UFC. So I wouldn't really even call him a Pride fighter anymore. Would you call Barnett a UFC fighter? Or Baroni? Of course not.

Page is a bad matchup of styles for Chuck. Chuck may catch him, but I think this is going to be his greatest test yet...and I still think Page takes it.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre
    Ok I want you to read this real close. Styles make fights, you still with me?. The gameplan to beat chuck is very simple, still following? Chuck has a very long reach for his heigth and throws that over hand right, however chuck needs distance to throw it. To beat chuck you get within that range and his biggest weapon is gone. Everytime chuck steps back you step forward one he steps back to his left you step forward to your right, you following. Second part of the game plan, push the pace of the fight. Chucks cardio is not improved the only difference is no one has really pushed the pace causing chuck to gas. The final part of the game plan after you have gassed him you take him down and finish him on the ground. I hope you got all that. Now a fighter to beat chuck needs good strike defense, Rampage has some of the best strike defense in the game. His weakness is the clinch(muay thai) he has no reason to worry about that against chuck. You need a good chin, Rampage has one of the best chins. He took a huge hook from Silva and stayed on his feet, then ate something like 22 knees before finally being knocked out. A good athlete can make chuck look bad. Rampage is a very athletic, one of the most athletically gifted fighters in the game.

Strength:Rampage; look at the Arona bomb
    Striking: Chuck may hit harder but Rampage is much more techinical and displined striker. Slight edge to Rampage.
    Cardio:Rampage
    Subs: Does not apply to either
    Wrestling: defensive wrestling to Chuck and offensive to Rampage; Pretty even here

Now after reading that once or twice your probably going to say that fight was four years ago and Rampage has lost 3 times and Chuck has gone on a tear, but hold onto your shorts becouse I am gonna explain why you should not type that, so take your finger off the enter key. Well Rampage lost to Shogun and Silva x 2. Both had a clinch game, incredible clinch game to say the least. Chuck has gone on to beat a older Couture x 2 who was having alot of personal problems and was a older then the first fight(where he made chuck look like a little girl). He then beat Vernon white, simply who gives a f*ck its Vernon White. Babalu, who is very good but came in with a horrible gameplan. Ahhh Tito Ortiz x 2 good fighter but simply does not like to get hit and lack the chin and wrestling to beat Chuck. Jeremy Horn he also beat. Now lets look at something all these fighters have in common besides Vernon White. They are all grapplers. Rampage maybe more of a ground and pound fighter but unlike above the fighters he does not hesitate to throw leather and throw it well, he also has a better chin then every above mentioned fighter. Rampage will win and win very convinicing manner. Rampage 3rd round Tko.
    Last edited by Hunter; 05-01-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter
    Ok I want you to read this real close. Styles make fights, you still with me?. The gameplan to beat chuck is very simple, still following? Chuck has a very long reach for his heigth and throws that over hand right, however chuck needs distance to throw it. To beat chuck you get within that range and his biggest weapon is gone. Everytime chuck steps back you step forward one he steps back to his left you step forward to your right, you following. Second part of the game plan, push the pace of the fight. Chucks cardio is not improved the only difference is no one has really pushed the pace causing chuck to gas. The final part of the game plan after you have gassed him you take him down and finish him on the ground. I hope you got all that. Now a fighter to beat chuck needs good strike defense, Rampage has some of the best strike defense in the game. His weakness is the clinch(muay thai) he has no reason to worry about that against chuck. You need a good chin, Rampage has one of the best chins. He took a huge hook from Silva and stayed on his feet, then ate something like 22 knees before finally being knocked out. A good athlete can make chuck look bad. Rampage is a very athletic, one of the most athletically gifted fighters in the game.

Striking: Chuck may hit harder but Rampage is much more techinical and displined striker. Slight edge to Rampage.
    Wrestling: defensive wrestling to Chuck and offensive to Rampage; Pretty even here

Now after reading that once or twice your probably going to say that fight was four years ago and Rampage has lost 3 times and Chuck has gone on a tear, but hold onto your shorts becouse I am gonna explain why you should not type that, so take your finger off the enter key. Well Rampage lost to Shogun and Silva x 2. Both had a clinch game, incredible clinch game to say the least. Chuck has gone on to beat a older Couture x 2 who was having alot of personal problems and was a older then the first fight(where he made chuck look like a little girl). He then beat Vernon white, simply who gives a f*ck its Vernon White. Babalu, who is very good but came in with a horrible gameplan. Ahhh Tito Ortiz x 2 good fighter but simply does not like to get hit and lack the chin and wrestling to beat Chuck. Jeremy Horn he also beat. Now lets look at something all these fighters have in common besides Vernon White. They are all grapplers. Rampage maybe more of a ground and pound fighter but unlike above the fighters he does not hesitate to throw leather and throw it well, he also has a better chin then every above mentioned fighter. Rampage will win and win very convinicing manner. Rampage 3rd round Tko.
    end thread

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter

*Crowd roars with applause*

Now that is how you make an arguement! woo woo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information