Wargasmz is offline New Member
    Jeet Kune Do

Fetch is offline Member
    I've had the pleasure of training in:

Wrestling
    Boxing
    Muay Thai
    BJJ

For me, it's a question of body type.A grappling art is going to be king no matter what. I can always take an opponent to the ground, unless he is a better wrestler than me. If I were 265+, I'd rather be a great Wrestler. The discipline simply benefits from physical gifts more than BJJ IMO. However, I'm 180 lbs and lean, so I'll be going with BJJ.

However, one thing to note is that all of this talk is about 1 v 1. If I am looking for general survival, I would NOT take a grappling art. If I need to roll around on the ground with someone, no matter how unskilled they are, their friend can kick me in the side of the head. I'd probably go with Muay Thai for this scenario. The conditioning is top notch and the strikes are incredibly powerful.

ObviousDecoy is offline New Member
    BJJ for me. What's most effective is arguable but BJJ is definitely near the top. But most importantly I find it really fun to train.

serratus is offline I am a sissyman!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    ok heres the deal.

we are back to the stone ages, no weapons may be used, all fights are one on one.

Which are to you Master?

Muay Thai
    Boxing
    Krav Margra
    Kung Fu
    Tkd
    BJJ or JJ
    Judo
    Sambo
    etc.......

i say striking wouldnt be optimal because if u fought often ur hands and feet and what not would be destroyed and you couldnt defend yourself as well.

id go with like BJJ or Catch Wrestling, submission grappling

go ahead and lemme know what you think
    i like classic boxing more efective in street fights

n00bs is offline Member
    Krav Maga/ninjutsu for multiple apponants

BJJ for 1 on 1 and you can take them to ground

But it isnt the style its the fighter...

I personally do ninjutsu because i like playing with swords :P

Jitsu player is offline New Member
    Great question and debate and one I've had with my friends over and over again...

I would go for BJJ or traditional Jujitsu as it has far superior take downs than BJJ and you don't need someone to be wearing a gi for either....

However....if you fighting more than one person at a time BJJ is close to being useless so I would def go for traditional jujitsu as it incorporates striking. Boxing/Muay Thai is great if your just standing and trading but for me a bar fight or any fight is about getting first strike then clinch so I can control and smash them into the ground. Having a great closed guard or omoplata is no good when his mate is kicking you in the face....(btw I'm not hating on BJJ - I love it!, but it's best kept for competitions and/or 1v1 situations)

Unless you come up against Mr Miyagi....then just run....

Jeet Kune Do only works in movies....

Ruutu#15 is offline New Member
    Krav Maga...

Ferdinand is offline Associate Member
    1v1 without weapons, Krav Maga without doubt. Krava Maga puts and end to most attackers fast and brutal no matter style.

If both have equal skill level.....

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    1v1 without weapons, Krav Maga without doubt. Krava Maga puts and end to most attackers fast and brutal no matter style.

If both have equal skill level.....
    Unless you end up on the ground...

Ruutu#15 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Unless you end up on the ground...
    Registered on this forum yesturday and even for me you starting to sound like a broken record

No offense

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruutu#15 View Post
    Registered on this forum yesturday and even for me you starting to sound like a broken record

No offense
    Truth hurts...

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Being a bit older at 38 i might consider shotokan karate, for the benefits, posture , flexibility, conditioning and free style sparring in class not in competition.

I also think that a belt grading is rewarding of some kind and it always feel good to know that you have reach the top level of black belt in some art.

I also like the traditional aspect of shotokan karate, there is no musical forms and its really based on repetition.

I did karate when younger, shotokan , kyokushin as well and i build some very good reflexes.

Shotokan school that is near my house have a bit more then the school i have seen in the past, they practice on punching bag and shields, so you don't just get to kick in the air all the time. They also include some boxing techniques which i found very nice and they don't spend a lot of time on forms. There is a sparring class on Saturday morning.

But there is no ground fighting.

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    How about Thug-jitsu. The art of beating people up. lol

walkerls1 is offline Banned = Swifto's bitch!
    It would be toss up between Krav Margra and BBJ. My question for you is are there any other rules you're going by other than no weapons? Either one of those two have several fatal techniques that would end the fight very quickly, as do other disciplines. I guess it would come down to who's fast enough to make the kill.

P90
    P90 is offline Junior Member
    muay thai, i like to kick and use my elbows

Callsign is offline Associate Member
    I say Muay thai for fun, but for practicality & survival to win the right to mate..BJJ.. Take em down, choke em unconsious, mount his chick, & on to the next one

MMMM i know i said shotokan but things are actually looking up for me now, i have changed sport doctor and soon to receive some real prolotherapy treatments well over 100 injections in the lower back and hip and upper back to rebuild and cure all the hacks and pains. Now that being said, i would defenitly train in Muay Thai before next year, at least 3 times per week, for me its not about competition or being the best but more to lose weight and get in the best shape i can. Recent new program have shown that high intensity cardio is the way to go, like Insanity from beach bodies, lots of the tae bo tapes by billy blanks and more. I know a guy that lost close to 60 pounds in 4 months training muay thai 3 times per week, of course is diet was changed as well.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back that's acting up now (change of seasons mayB, no training for me now:-(). Will prolotherapy help that? Hmmmm, dont wanna do surgery, gotta research this.

I think that the outcome of the fight is based on rules.Even no-holds-barred fights that Gracie's first came up with still had rule. No kick to the groin, eye gouging, biting. scratching, sand in the face, etc. I've been a stand up fighter for over 30 years. I can knock out my bjj instructor if we're standing up. If he takes me down, I'm dead. If I had a 9" jagged piece of stick in my hand I could cause a lot of damage as he came to take me down. A stick into the soft tissue of the face can cause an immediate reaction. Again, the outcome of a fight comes down to the rules. Whether they're spoken or unspoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Callsign View Post
    I have a herniated disc in my lower back that's acting up now (change of seasons mayB, no training for me now:-(). Will prolotherapy help that? Hmmmm, dont wanna do surgery, gotta research this.
    Sorry i did not reply earlier, yes a good prolotherapist and treatments will do wonders for a herniated disc, prolotherapy strenghtens the ligaments around the vertebrae creating disc space between them and releiving the pain of the hernia.

I have spoken to many people that had hernia and prolotherapy, its all good.

http://www.caringmedical.com/therapi...ated-equal.asp

Thanks bro!!! First I'm hearing of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Callsign View Post
    Thanks bro!!! First I'm hearing of this.
    I been living with back pain for 8 years now, went true every treatment there is, i have like the article said found a bad prolotherapist, been going for 2 years but still it fixed 80% of my pain, i don't have a disc hernia, but laxed ligaments and tendons where causing chronic pains. Like i said my old sport doctor gave me prolotherapy treatments that really sucked, giving me like 4-5 injections and treating one ligament at a time, i got mad a few times because i spoke to caring medication and Marion who is Dr Hauser wife and she was the one that told me i was not getting full prolo treatments.

If you have any questions if you decide to go into prolotherapy i will be ready to answer you, that will save your life. I have since found a better sport doctor that sent me for some blood test, testosterone test and more, he said i had anemia and he was right, at 38 years old he said that after he finished with me i will be an athlete, he as been treating older very active people in there 40-50 and 60 and one of them is a tri athlete, i am really excited Oct 1 this Friday i will get my first real prolotherapy treatment, it will hurt but this will cure my 100%.

Make sure that the sport doctor gives you full blood test, prolotherapy to work in its fullest and repair ligaments and tendons need a optimum immune system, a good sport doctor will take care of you and do regular follow ups to make sure everything is in gear. My old sport doctor i had to twist is arm to get a blood check, it came back negative with anemia, he gave me pills for the liver instead of changing my diet, telling me to eat more red meat and other things like that.

Also make sure that sport doctor listens to you when you talk very important. I am not sure how long it would take to strengthen the ligament for a hernia, most people i talk to took around 4-8 treatments full treatments will around 60-100 injections.

I live near Montreal, Quebec, Canada if you are in the US i might not be able to refer you to a good prolotherapist, if you do live in the area try giving caring medication a call, Dr Hauser clinic, also look on youtube for is injection techniques, from what i hear and see they are the best in the US, they are located in Illinois, i was suppose to go see them in September for some treatments but was lucky to find another sport doctor near my home.

Thanks again! I'm in NY, but travel for a living. I can get anywhere. I'm going to research this some, & give these guys a call. Whats a round about number for prolotherapy? U can pm me if posting an approximate price is not allowed.

Not sure for caring medication but for me dextrose and xylocaine where around 40$ and the treatment itself was 100$ but keep in mind it was a private clinic, now i am going public so it should be around 60$ since the CC will be a lot more, i used to get injected from 4cc to 12cc with the other moron but my new sport doctor will be around 30CC or more. Insurance does not cover prolotherapy but don't worry it worth the price.

Cool, i was about to start my next cycle in Oct, but maybe I'll do this 1st & get more from my workouts..

mmakid is offline New Member
    BJJ all the way

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information