GoNoles99 is offline Junior Member

College Diet, help needed

19 years old
    5’9
    Not sure on bodyfat%. Electronic thing at the gym says I am around 12%

I’m eating on a college meal plan. I can eat in the dining halls as much as I want between the hours of 7AM-7PM Monday-Friday. Weekends are something like 10AM-7PM. Student Union is open until I believe 11 PM every night and serves whole and half rotisserie chickens. I can’t put a diet in stone because the dining halls serve different things every day, all I can post here is what kind of foods I’m looking for and what stuff I need to avoid.

My eating schedule is like this. Breakfast I can keep the same every day but everything else changes.

7:30
    ½ cup oats
    2 servings scrambled eggs

10:00
    eggs, potatoes OR tuna (depending on class schedule)

12:30 (preworkout)
    protein/whole wheat pasta

during workout: ~1
    trying out sizeon this month

post workout: ~2
    1.5 scoops whey

PPWO: ~2:45
    Any protein/simple sugar

Dinner: ~6:00
    Any protein I can find, NO carbs

Before bed: ~9:30
    ½ of a rotisserie Chicken

Protein sources:
    1 or 2 hamburgers (no buns)
    1 or 2 cans tuna
    chicken parm (scrape off cheese, tomato sauce)
    ginger chicken
    steak
    1.5 scoops whey (post workout)
    protein bar (snack during class, only needed 2x per week due to my schedule)
    rotisserie chicken

carbs:
    potato (no sweet potato served so this is the best I can do)
    Spanish rice (no brown rice)
    Corn
    Oats
    Whole wheat pasta

Fats pretty much just come from hamburgers/chicken fat. Obviously these aren’t the leanest proteins.

veggies:
    frozen broccoli
    any greens I can find

Only drink water, or milk if I feel I need more protein
    Moderate alcohol Friday and Saturday nights

Anyway, my big questions:
    1. Spanish rice, is this OK? It’s the only rice I can find anywhere, absolutely ridiculous.
    2. Too much red meat if I’m eating ~3 hamburger patties/day?

Any thoughts welcome.

Forgot to say that I am bulking and trying to put on weight.

LightSwitch is offline New Member
    Stop drinking. Drinking increases cortisol, and decreases test. You will be hard pressed to find anybody who drinks 2 nights a week and still looks good- unless they are on year round.

dominick2417 is offline Junior Member
    Eating in the Union at my school was pretty pricey and the only decent food was sushi. I had a hot plate (I know, I'm bad) in my room that I cooked my eggs in in the morning. I would eat that with some cheerios or oats or grits. I would eat tuna and rice throughout the day. Lunch would be some rotisserrie chicken and whatever else they had, along with a few cups of spinach. Unfortunately my main meat was turkey from the deli, but you gotta eat. At my school you could only go in three times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I would eat lunch and dinner in there and have to prepare my other six meals or so. Sometimes I would go in at the very end of breakfast and wait until they served lunch to eat and then go back for more lunch in a few hours. My fist year or so they also had sweet potatoes so I would eat a couple of them every day. Stay away from pizza unless you can't gain any weight. I am sure your school post what they will serve the next day, or maybe a week ahead, so you need to plan what you are going to eat.

Just try to make sure you get all of your macro's everyday, and make sure the protein you eat does not always come from burgers. The burgers at my school were frozen and probably made from the shittiest meat they could find.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSwitch View Post
    Stop drinking. Drinking increases cortisol, and decreases test. You will be hard pressed to find anybody who drinks 2 nights a week and still looks good- unless they are on year round.
    He's right - the above describes the current rut i'm in, and consequently I look like absolute shit right now.

I know it's terrible for me, I'm trying to hold back as much as possible.

As far as what dominick said about the union, I have 500 "points" on my plan to buy stuff there. Half chickens are 4.50, whole chickens are 6 bucks. A side of mashed potatos or veggies like 1.50. So I can go crazy buying chicken, I can get one per day. I'm planning on getting it at night, and if I have any left for the next day bring that to class with me in a baggie.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoles99 View Post
    I know it's terrible for me, I'm trying to hold back as much as possible.

As far as what dominick said about the union, I have 500 "points" on my plan to buy stuff there. Half chickens are 4.50, whole chickens are 6 bucks. A side of mashed potatos or veggies like 1.50. So I can go crazy buying chicken, I can get one per day. I'm planning on getting it at night, and if I have any left for the next day bring that to class with me in a baggie.
    Any left? That's little man talk.

The meal plan I bought was 800$ and only came with 60 or so to use in the union and 120 or so meals in the cafeteria. That 60 ran out FAST the way I eat. If one point equalls one dollar you can buy over 50 chickens.

And like they said, you should cut out alcohol. Find a few friends that don't mind you not drinking, better yet find some bodybuilders, go to the clubs and mack on chicks with shaker cups in your hands. I don't drink so it was never a problem with me. If you absolutely must drink I guess a bit or red wine or very dark beer would be the least troublesome.

And just because Bacardi has ZERO carbs ZERO suGA does not mean it has zero calories. The calories from alcohol are useless and you should do without.
    Last edited by dominick2417; 08-31-2010 at 05:41 PM.

19 years old
    5’9
    Not sure on bodyfat%. Electronic thing at the gym says I am around 12%

I’m eating on a college meal plan. I can eat in the dining halls as much as I want between the hours of 7AM-7PM Monday-Friday. Weekends are something like 10AM-7PM. Student Union is open until I believe 11 PM every night and serves whole and half rotisserie chickens. I can’t put a diet in stone because the dining halls serve different things every day, all I can post here is what kind of foods I’m looking for and what stuff I need to avoid.

My eating schedule is like this. Breakfast I can keep the same every day but everything else changes.

7:30
    ½ cup oats
    2 servings scrambled eggs

Can you get some egg whites here as well? Even hard boiled?

10:00
    eggs, potatoes OR tuna (depending on class schedule)

Do your best to get a lean protein + complex carb

12:30 (preworkout)
    protein/whole wheat pasta

Fair enough - but try for a better carb if possible - brown rice, etc

during workout: ~1
    trying out sizeon this month

post workout: ~2
    1.5 scoops whey

Add 1/2 cup oats

PPWO: ~2:45
    Any protein/simple sugar

No simple sugar! Complex carb here

Dinner: ~6:00
    Any protein I can find, NO carbs

Ok to drop carbs as it's getting later in the day, add a healthy fat and some veggies

Before bed: ~9:30
    ½ of a rotisserie Chicken

I'd eat the chicken throughout the day and do casein or cottage cheese here, plus some natty PB

Protein sources:
    1 or 2 hamburgers (no buns)
    1 or 2 cans tuna
    chicken parm (scrape off cheese, tomato sauce)

Don't they have just plain grilled chicken?

ginger chicken
    steak

good bedtime meal

1.5 scoops whey (post workout)
    protein bar (snack during class, only needed 2x per week due to my schedule)
    rotisserie chicken

carbs:
    potato (no sweet potato served so this is the best I can do)
    Spanish rice (no brown rice)

Hmm, ok

Corn
    Oats
    Whole wheat pasta

Fats pretty much just come from hamburgers/chicken fat. Obviously these aren’t the leanest proteins.

veggies:
    frozen broccoli
    any greens I can find

Only drink water, or milk if I feel I need more protein
    Moderate alcohol Friday and Saturday nights

Anyway, my big questions:
    1. Spanish rice, is this OK? It’s the only rice I can find anywhere, absolutely ridiculous.

Not really, but if it's all you can get your hands on... what can you do?

2. Too much red meat if I’m eating ~3 hamburger patties/day?

Nah

Any thoughts welcome.
    Diet critique above in bold

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll see if I can find some hard boiled eggs, I think I've seen some in the dining hall. Rarely see any grilled chicken, I've been looking online at the menus and it doesn't look good. I did bring a box of plastic bags with me so when they have something worthwhile like chicken breasts I can take a whole bunch and bring them back to my room to eat later.

Question about the oats in a shake... do you just dump them in and mix it around a bit and drink it like that or are you using a blender?

Question about the oats in a shake... do you just dump them in and mix it around a bit and drink it like that or are you using a blender?
    Some people use a blender, Me, I just mix them raw right into the shake, and chew em up. I actually look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Some people use a blender, Me, I just mix them raw right into the shake, and chew em up. I actually look forward to it!
    I'll get on that asap.

Turns out the dining hall does have hard boiled eggs so I was able to have some egg whites this morning. I'll have to get up a little earlier to have time to peel them all since it takes me forever but it'll be worth it.

This is what I ate today... thoughts?

7:30 AM: 1/2 cup oats, 3 egg whites
    10:15 AM: 1/2 cup oats, 4 egg whites
    12:15 PM: baked ziti, turkey
    workout - took jac3d before since I didn't get much sleep and was feeling drowsy. sizeon during workout
    3:00 PM (right after workout): 1.5 scoops whey (will get oats to put in this ASAP)
    3:45 PM: 1/2 of a rotisserie chicken
    6:00 PM: Lemon sole, tuna
    9:00 PM: 2 strips chicken, lettuce
    midnight: will have 1 or 2 cans tuna (I'll pick up some cottage cheese ASAP)

Trying to get 30+ grams protein each meal and no carbs after 5 PM. I know I need more egg whites I just didn't have time to peel the eggs since I got up too late. 10:15 meal had to be eggs and oats because dining halls were still on breakfest menu.

Thoughts? No rice or sweet potatos available all day.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    here is my diet:

half gallon of lemonaid for breakfast - 1040 cal

perrier carbonated water - 0 cal

carmello candy bar - 220 cal

peanut butter crackers - 190 cal

rice crispy treat - 150 cal

energy drink - 250 cal

ny strip steak - 610 cal

3 pizza and peperoni slices - 480 cal

salad dressing - 680 cal

2 pizza slices - 320 cal

9 oreos cookies - 630 cal

(heheheh) 5500 cals... 3500 cals were crap lol - ahhhhhh for high matabolism

thats a real collage diet - thing is im not in collage

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    ^go **** ur self lololol
    if i ate like that id be a goddam balloon blob bro, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    here is my diet:

half gallon of lemonaid for breakfast - 1040 cal

perrier carbonated water - 0 cal

carmello candy bar - 220 cal

peanut butter crackers - 190 cal

rice crispy treat - 150 cal

energy drink - 250 cal

ny strip steak - 610 cal

3 pizza and peperoni slices - 480 cal

salad dressing - 680 cal

2 pizza slices - 320 cal

9 oreos cookies - 630 cal

(heheheh) 5500 cals... 3500 cals were crap lol - ahhhhhh for high matabolism

thats a real collage diet - thing is im not in collage
    lol, that's pretty much how my friends eat. Only with 12 beers in the evening to go along with the oreos.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    ^^ dont do it -.-

This is what I ate today... thoughts?

7:30 AM: 1/2 cup oats, 3 egg whites
    This is like 15gms of protein. WTF? Triple this meal if you are a hard gainer
    10:15 AM: 1/2 cup oats, 4 egg whites
    18gms protein WTF?
    12:15 PM: baked ziti, turkey
    workout - took jac3d before since I didn't get much sleep and was feeling drowsy. sizeon during workout
    Love some baked ziti from my school. Should post macros. Watch the fat in cheese. Protein?
    3:00 PM (right after workout): 1.5 scoops whey (will get oats to put in this ASAP)
    30-35gms Protein WTF? At least a cup of oats.
    3:45 PM: 1/2 of a rotisserie chicken
    Carbs?
    6:00 PM: Lemon sole, tuna
    Don't know what lemon sole is. Lots of tuna.
    9:00 PM: 2 strips chicken, lettuce
    Should have some real fiber here. Lettuce is worthless. How much protein is two strips? You should eat around 8-10oz chkn. I usually eat about three cups of spinach and broccoli throughout the day.
    midnight: will have 1 or 2 cans tuna (I'll pick up some cottage cheese ASAP)
    I do not like cottage cheese or eating liquid for my last meal. I think some fatty fish or ground meat would be better.

Thoughts? No rice or sweet potatos available all day.
    Buy a rice cooker. I used to have to hide mine in my closet. Rice is cheap and easy to make. There is too long between your pre-workout meal and your post-workout meal. I would keep your workouts around 1 hr: and 1.5hrs maximum. You should post your macronutrient intake per meal and per day. This wasn't a terrible day if you forget you did not get enough protein or carbs. If you need lifting advice you should chummy up to the big guy at your gym. There is a guy at my school that looked exactly like Ronnie Coleman, minus 100 lbs.
    Last edited by dominick2417; 09-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    If you can afford to drink two nights a week why can't you afford to buy some food outside of your school?

Thread Information