Thread: AM Cardio...

BrysZ is offline Associate Member

AM Cardio...

I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I find two concepts confusing to me. First I read how important it is to consume quick absorbing protein immediately in the morning due to the fact that you have been fasting all night and then I keep seeing reference to a morning cardio session on an empty stomach. To me thse two concepts are contradictory...can someone explain this for me?

Thank you

SergeantCarbs is offline Associate Member
    When you have carbs in your system, your cardio will first burn this off before using your body for a fuel source. So your doing extra cardio before you start burning those calories off.

BrysZ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantCarbs View Post
    When you have carbs in your system, your cardio will first burn this off before using your body for a fuel source. So your doing extra cardio before you start burning those calories off.
    I understand that...however doesn't that contradict with the concept of feeding your body first thing in the morning? Is it possible to accomplish both? If not which is most important?

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrysZ View Post
    I understand that...however doesn't that contradict with the concept of feeding your body first thing in the morning? Is it possible to accomplish both? If not which is most important?
    There is not much difference between 7 hours without food or 8. If you want the fat to melt away do the am cardio on empty, it works. Eat a nice meal afterwards.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I understand your confusion, and it really comes down to what the goal at hand is.

I'm a big proponent of getting food in first thing in the morning, yet i'm currently doing fasted cardio 4x a week. However, my current goal is cutting bodyfat. If it were to be adding LBM, no way would I do it.

Having said that - I think you'd be fine to consume some protein (egg whites or a quick shake) before cardio, and still consider it fasted for the most part. What you don't want is fats or carbs (energy).

hope this helps.

Anubi555 is offline Junior Member
    i am no expert, but here is my own experience, hope it helps
    i used to do my morning cardio on an empty stomach,.good results i'd say
    then due to my change in schedule, i couldn't do the cardio but after like an hour of waking up, which is too long to be empty stomach IMO, so i used to have a scoop of whey with my morning coffee and skimmed milk"tasted amazing BTW", I felt much better, way better energey, instead of barely run for 40 minutes, i could easily do 60, and felt i could do even more if i wanted to,.
    i would say i got the exact same result,. but felt better in the second scenario,. giving the fact that with or without the morning "shake" i still consume the same cal/day

Anubi555 is offline Junior Member
    sorry,. duplicate post

raspberry is offline Junior Member
    I take casein during the night then do morning cardio on an empty stomach followed by a PWO shake or a good breakfast, depending on what they serve here (Afghanistan).

bmit is offline Member
    If you are not on "special supps" then a protein shake first thing in AM and then cardio 30-45 minutes later worked out REALLY WELL for me. Total empty stomach was too catabolic and too low energy.

Natureboy71 is offline Associate Member
    I like some Ester vitamin C also before cardio to help keep cortisol down which will eat your muscle. Also, if you are keeping heart rate in the "fat burning zone" you should be ok.

Thread Information