Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100

Baseline's Intermittent Fasting Cut

For any of you who want to learn more about this type of diet please visit Leangains.com

190 lbs
    5'7/8
    14%BF

Goal is single digit BF.

The Plan

The Diet

05.45 - 10g BCAA's (Pre-Workout)

07.00 - 150g Oats, 60g Whey (PWO)

07.15 - 100g Brown Basmati Rice, 12oz Lean Mince Beef

11.00 - 50g Brown Basmati Rice, 8oz Chicken Breast

14.45 - 50g Brown Basmati Rice, 12oz Lean Mince Beef, 30g Whey, 30g Casein

The Training

All weight training is done in a fasted state with 10g of BCAA's before hand. Weight training will be high intensity low volume (similar to yates)

Mon - Chest and Triceps

Tue - Back and Rear Delts

Wed - Rest

Thu - Legs and Calves

Fri - Delts and Biceps

Sat - Rest

Sun - Rest

The Cardio

Mon - 45 mins in the evening (Stepmill/Treadmill)

Tue - 45 mins in the evening (Stepmill/Treadmill)

Wed - Rest

Thu - 45 mins in the evening (Stepmill/Treadmill)

Fri - 45 mins in the evening (Stepmill/Treadmill)

Sat - 45 mins in the morning (Stepmill/Treadmill)

Sun - Rest
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Hey Base - I'll def be following along. I like the idea of the HI-LV training with the IF. It makes alot of sense to me. Looking forward to hearing your overall experience with this!

Fit N Fun is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post

05.45 - 10g BCAA's (Pre-Workout)

Baseline, is that really all you are gonna eat ................ nothing between 14.45 and 05.45?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    GOOD LUCK BASE! Will follow your progress and hoping for some food photos along the way.....
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    You already know i'm subscribed...

overnightworker21 is offline Junior Member
    Subscribed as well. Very interested in this diet. Those step mills are absolutely killer. Did 15 min at level 15 out of 20 for the first time ever this morning. Those alone want to tear off the fat. Good luck and can't wait to see how it goes.

Definitely let us know how hard the adjustment to your new eating schedule is. I think it would be pretty hard going from eating every 2-3 hours to having to wait 15 hours before your next meal.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Hey Base - I'll def be following along. I like the idea of the HI-LV training with the IF. It makes alot of sense to me. Looking forward to hearing your overall experience with this!
    High Intensity Training makes sense to me as well m8... The only time I 'up' the volume is when AAS go higher...

Quote Originally Posted by Fit N Fun View Post
    Baseline, is that really all you are gonna eat ................ nothing between 14.45 and 05.45?
    Yes that is my plan, I may add some fats to the chicken meal but not a lot...

This is an Intermittent Fasting Diet....

The theory being that you consume all of your food PWO and over an 8 hour window... In this PWO window Protein Synthesis is going to be high and the huge amount of food you are eating (in this short period of time (8 hrs)) will increase this further more... Creating a state where calories are partitioned more efficiently and muscle gains can be made (In theory if you eat 2500 calories in 8 hrs during those 8 hours you can build muscle because there is a massive calorie surplus plus the increased protein synthesis PWO...

When you stop eating and begin to 'fast' the theory is that you are running on fat... I agree with that, we burn mostly fat when the heart rate is kept low... During this fast you are suppose to keep active, keeping the heart ticking over at a slightly elevated rate to increase fat oxidation (burning body fat)... Fasting will also decrease insulin and increase insulin sensitivity meaning that when you do eat a large carb meal the carbs will be stored as glycogen more efficiently (and less as bodyfat, look into calorie partitioning) and actually decrease hunger (in theory, I will let you know)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    GOOD LUCK BASE! Will follow your progress and hoping for some food photos along the way.....
    Oh yeh...

I will get u some pics... Bit boring tho, plain food!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You already know i'm subscribed...
    Yep... Thx for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by overnightworker21 View Post
    Subscribed as well. Very interested in this diet. Those step mills are absolutely killer. Did 15 min at level 15 out of 20 for the first time ever this morning. Those alone want to tear off the fat. Good luck and can't wait to see how it goes.

Definitely let us know how hard the adjustment to your new eating schedule is. I think it would be pretty hard going from eating every 2-3 hours to having to wait 15 hours before your next meal.
    Yeh this is going to be a big shock to me thats or sure..... I really actually like the idea of being able to eat more like a normal person

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i know how sharp/disciplined you are so this should be a great thread!

This is an Intermittent Fasting Diet....

The theory being that you consume all of your food PWO and over an 8 hour window... In this PWO window Protein Synthesis is going to be high and the huge amount of food you are eating (in this short period of time (8 hrs)) will increase this further more... Creating a state where calories are partitioned more efficiently and muscle gains can be made (In theory if you eat 2500 calories in 8 hrs during those 8 hours you can build muscle because there is a massive calorie surplus plus the increased protein synthesis PWO...

When you stop eating and begin to 'fast' the theory is that you are running on fat... I agree with that, we burn mostly fat when the heart rate is kept low... During this fast you are suppose to keep active, keeping the heart ticking over at a slightly elevated rate to increase fat oxidation (burning body fat)... Fasting will also decrease insulin and increase insulin sensitivity meaning that when you do eat a large carb meal the carbs will be stored as glycogen more efficiently (and less as bodyfat, look into calorie partitioning) and actually decrease hunger (in theory, I will let you know)
    To elaborate further, I wanted to point out to people that this diet will have you in both a nice caloric deficit AND surplus within a 24 hour period... not at the exact same time obviously... but as the fasting period wears on, and particularly in the last few hours, you will be in a deficit. During the feeding phase, you will be in a surplus. As such, you get the best of both worlds. Fat loss as you are primarily burning fat without the presence of carbs/glucose and no insulin secretion during the fast, and topping off glycogen stores, repairing/building new tissue etc. during the feast due to the abundance of calories in a relatively short timeframe.

I've run the diet and loved it, and I wasn't nearly as disciplined as I know Base will be on this one... so I can't wait to see his results!!!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    I'm subscribed, love something new.

What is the timeframe to drop to single figures? Any 'days off' the diet planned at all?

No veggies?

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    I'm subscribed, love something new.

What is the timeframe to drop to single figures? Any 'days off' the diet planned at all?

No veggies?

Time frame is 10-12 weeks but may be extended (it really depends on how I look)

No planned days off the diet and there will be none either. I planned a re-feed/binge into my last cut and TBH I think it held me back. A re-feed is not really required unless you are going REALLY low on cals/carbs IMO. If I decided that I needed a re-feed it would simply be a case of increasing my brown rice intake. A carb re-feed is one thing, an 'eat all the shit you crave' re-feed is totally unnecessary and the term 'bro-science' comes to mind when people insist that a day of eating shit while cutting 'helps them and its a good idea'.

Veggies.... Well I dont know if i could bare stuffing any more in my mouth in this short period of time.... However I was considering eating veggies (negative calorie green veggies) while fasting to keep me full and give me my daily vits.... Would like to hear GB's views on that idea as well.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Time frame is 10-12 weeks but may be extended (it really depends on how I look)

No planned days off the diet and there will be none either. I planned a re-feed/binge into my last cut and TBH I think it held me back. A re-feed is not really required unless you are going REALLY low on cals/carbs IMO. If I decided that I needed a re-feed it would simply be a case of increasing my brown rice intake. A carb re-feed is one thing, an 'eat all the shit you crave' re-feed is totally unnecessary and the term 'bro-science' comes to mind when people insist that a day of eating shit while cutting 'helps them and its a good idea'. Fully agree with this. Guess what I was really getting at was, do you have a clear 10-12 weeks without any 'events' that may throw you off. Particularly with Christmas being within that 10-12 week timeframe.

Veggies.... Well I dont know if i could bare stuffing any more in my mouth in this short period of time.... However I was considering eating veggies (negative calorie green veggies) while fasting to keep me full and give me my daily vits.... Would like to hear GB's views on that idea as well. Interesting idea, during the fast. WOuldn't have even considered it, but now you mention it.......
    Not sure my other half would be best pleased if I tried this, she thinks I have an eating disorder as it is. But, depending on your results I may give it a whirl next year.

A re-feed is not really required unless you are going REALLY low on cals/carbs IMO.

A carb re-feed is one thing, an 'eat all the shit you crave' re-feed is totally unnecessary and the term 'bro-science' comes to mind when people insist that a day of eating shit while cutting 'helps them and its a good idea'.
    This, this, THIS!!!!!! This little blurb should be a sticky unto itself... I agree 1 million percent on all points.

Veggies.... Well I dont know if i could bare stuffing any more in my mouth in this short period of time.... However I was considering eating veggies (negative calorie green veggies) while fasting to keep me full and give me my daily vits.... Would like to hear GB's views on that idea as well.
    Negative calorie or not, that's not fasting mate. It's not just about the calories, it's about the other metabolic functions that happen when you ingest food. You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't do an all out fast. Trust me, you will NOT be hungry. I have a ridiculous appetite, and I was amazed at how NOT hungry I was. I always started to get hungry within the last hour or 2 of the fast, but that just makes meal 1 THAT much sweeter and rewarding. You will literally be able to feel the endorphin rush when you eat... and you will be aware of your body feeling better, minute by minute. At least that's the sensation I had, particularly in the first week or so.

Even Martin from leangains admits that he reluctantly allows BCAA's prior to training, because it's not technically fasting. Granted BCAA's may contain a few calories vs. negative calorie greens, but again, it's about more than just calories.

If you find yourself having a tough time dealing with the hunger, fill up on water. Give the diet a chance to work it's magic!

This, this, THIS!!!!!! This little blurb should be a sticky unto itself... I agree 1 million percent on all points. LOL

Negative calorie or not, that's not fasting mate. It's not just about the calories, it's about the other metabolic functions that happen when you ingest food. You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't do an all out fast. Trust me, you will NOT be hungry. I have a ridiculous appetite, and I was amazed at how NOT hungry I was. I always started to get hungry within the last hour or 2 of the fast, but that just makes meal 1 THAT much sweeter and rewarding. You will literally be able to feel the endorphin rush when you eat... and you will be aware of your body feeling better, minute by minute. At least that's the sensation I had, particularly in the first week or so.

Even Martin from leangains admits that he reluctantly allows BCAA's prior to training, because it's not technically fasting. Granted BCAA's may contain a few calories vs. negative calorie greens, but again, it's about more than just calories.

If you find yourself having a tough time dealing with the hunger, fill up on water. Give the diet a chance to work it's magic!
    Okie dokie

I will give it a go 100% fasted, greens will have to be FORCED into the 8 hours as well

Day 1 - 17.10.11

Diet

05.45 - 10g BCAA's (Pre-Workout )

Training

Chest and Triceps

Incline DB Press 2 Working sets

Decline DB Press 2 Working sets

Cable Flys 2 Working sets

Tricep Push downs 4 working sets

Cardio

45 mins on treadmill (speed between 5.8 and 6.5, incline between 7.5 and 6.0)

*Cardio was tough as I have not been doing any

So if your going to be doing high intensity low volume workouts while fasting why is it so bad to do high intensity cardio while fasting?
    Obviously your heart rate probably wont get as high as HI cardio, but there have been HILV workouts I have done where I felt like my heart was going to beat through my chest. Would that not be the same as high intensity cardio?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Sub'd. Goodluck. Are you planning on eating the same(cals and carbs) on Non-training days as training days?

Okie dokie

I will give it a go 100% fasted, greens will have to be FORCED into the 8 hours as well
    I'd find that cumbersome as hell. Consider supplementing with a green drink superfood, at least during your IF diet. I use Macro Greens from a company called Macro Life Naturals. They also have a 'red' version (berry and fruit extracts, etc) called Miracle Reds. I take a serving of each, 3 times daily as I don't eat nearly enough fruit and veggies to reap the health benefits.

At least look it up and see what you think. Not the cheapest stuff out there mind you, but excellent quality and the taste, IMO, is very good for what it is. Let me know what you think!

PS - I know I've gotten Slimmer to get on the Macro Greens (I don't think she has the Reds though, Slim?), and pretty sure I got Twist on them too.

My daily food intake looks like this.... Pluss my PWO shake (150g oats, 60g whey)

So if your going to be doing high intensity low volume workouts while fasting why is it so bad to do high intensity cardio while fasting?
    Obviously your heart rate probably wont get as high as HI cardio, but there have been HILV workouts I have done where I felt like my heart was going to beat through my chest. Would that not be the same as high intensity cardio?
    My heart rate will be high but not ridiculous while in training... TBH I think the whole 'you go catabolic if you do stuff when fasted' is a myth...

The reason I wouldn't do fasted HIIT is because of the energy/ fuel requirements... HIIT is a glucose dependent training system so why do it at a time where glycogen stores are suposeably 'depleted'.

Weight training is much less glucose dependent that HIIT.... ATP and Glycogen are the primary fuel sources but the overall energy output is going to be much lower than a hard HIIT session.

The consumption of BCAA's pre-training will prevent muscle catabolism (if it even actually occurs)... There are also multiple advantages (and possibly disadvantages) to training with weights while fasted. I will try to dig this out and add it...

GB, you have read into the program, can you elaborate...
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    Sub'd. Goodluck. Are you planning on eating the same(cals and carbs) on Non-training days as training days?
    Yes.

My diet will remain as above all the time (Saturday is steak day tho, so maybe steak and a baked potato)

Although I am no cycling calories/carbs, my body is doing it for me...

On training days I will be doing a weight session and a cardio session and will possibly burn around 750 cals each training day (4 days per week)... So on those days my energy in will be he same but my energy out will increase...

On my rest days (wed and sun) my additional energy out will be zero. So on this days my body will see this as a higher carb day/ slight carb re-feed or replenishment for the next two training days.

On a Saturday my additional energy out will be about approximately half that of energy out on training days as I will only be doing a cardio session.

Rya
    Rya is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9
    My daily food intake looks like this.... Pluss my PWO shake (150g oats, 60g whey)
    It's great how pictures can make you hungry!!!

Is the morning workout an important factor for this type of diet? I'm not in a position where i could do a morning workout due to job timings etc

What's the macro values of your meals? Like others i will be watching your thread and think it would be good to know your intake.

Do you plan on doing bf checks throughout?
    Last edited by Rya; 10-18-2011 at 05:33 AM.

With your diet are you trying to meet any goals for the carb/fat/pro split?
    From what you posted I gathered a split around 20/20/60 carb/fat/pro.
    I know there are no "set rules" for this diet but I thought the purpose of your "re-feeding" after the fast was to re fuel your body for coming workouts. Is there a specific reason you chose to go with a 20% carb setup with your meals?

Also how did your back workout go today? Just wanting to keep a gauge on how you feel during workouts with this diet.

Day 2 - 18.10.11

Diet

05.45 - 10g BCAA's (Pre-Workout )

Training

Back

Iso Lateral pull down machine 2 Working sets

Cable Pull overs/downs 2 working sets

Iso Lateral row 2 Working sets

Deadlifts 3 Working sets

Barbell Shrugs 2 working sets

Cardio

I had to miss 2nites session but i will make up for it on another day this week. Been really busy with fitting my new bathroom and made a balls up of a soldered joint and had to re-do it which caused me to be late and not go to do CV... Annoying!

*Training was fine, no lack of energy

*First food meal was tough to get down in one go but I got there in the end

*Slight hip flexor/ groin strain from the cardio last night (I always get this when I start back up on the CV)

*No real hunger cravings at all yet

Im going to have to answer any questions when I get some time, sorry guys.

Was happy to read the bullet points above!! Take note over the next week or so, and let me know if you think you actually feel MORE energized while training fasted. I did, and it was amazing... completely counter intuitive. The body's adaptive capacity is truly amazing!

I'll be following, looking forward to watching you kill this.

Seems like this type of diet would be tough over the holidays, you must have very supportive family/friends?

Good luck man.

Oh yeh...

I will get u some pics... Bit boring tho, plain food!
    Whatever it takes. I know not your usual cuisine but hey! gotta do what ya gotta do.

PS - I know I've gotten Slimmer to get on the Macro Greens (I don't think she has the Reds though, Slim?), and pretty sure I got Twist on them too.
    I have the Green, Red and Purple. And need to be more routine about it like you are!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe;5***432
    I have the Green, Red and Purple. And need to be more routine about it like you are!
    Oh yea... the Purple Wraath!!! I'm currently using Xtend by Scivation, but as soon as it runs out i'm switching back to PW - liked it MUCH better!

Day 3

Diet as planned... No training, no cv...

Fitting bathroom for 6 hours has knackered me tho!

A few pics, not much left to do now... Finnish tiling, fit new sink and toilet, put the flooring down, paint and add fittings...

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Bathroom job looks good!

^^ x2.

Now Base... don't make me post up my bathroom renovation pics... *in my best Jersey accent* I don't wanna start no thing...

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Bathroom looks good base! Il b following too, never seen this type of dieting so it will be Intresting to see your results. Good luck...

^^ x2.

Now Base... don't make me post up my bathroom renovation pics... *in my best Jersey accent* I don't wanna start no thing...
    PLEASE DO! PRETTY PLEASE! Maybe Base will ask you for the paint color....
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    Bathroom job looks good!
    ^^ x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Bathroom looks good base! Il b following too, never seen this type of dieting so it will be Intresting to see your results. Good luck...
    Thx guys. I just wanna get it done now... Gym work bathroom gym bed... That's my routine ATM... Can't w8 to get this done, have a hot bath and chill out

And yeh GB, post ur pics in this thread... I wanna see ur handy work. I don't mind going a bit off track.

Lmao, uh oh... here we go with the color again!!!

And yeh GB, post ur pics in this thread... I wanna see ur handy work. I don't mind going a bit off track.
    Ok Base, but you asked for it! I didn't take any before pictures (I ALWAYS fvcking forget to do that, makes me mental!) but I do have construction pics throughout the project. My father in law and I did 100% of the work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baseline's Intermittent Fasting Cut-bathroom-2.jpg   Baseline's Intermittent Fasting Cut-bathroom-5.jpg   Baseline's Intermittent Fasting Cut-bathroom-1.jpg   Baseline's Intermittent Fasting Cut-bathroom-4.jpg  

Those are some great looking places to relax and unwind after a hard workout. Love the stone selection base.
    Looks like you spoil yourself gbrice, are those jets I see in the tub? You convinced your other half to get those by saying its really for her huh...

Looks like you spoil yourself gbrice, are those jets I see in the tub? You convinced your other half to get those by saying its really for her huh...
    lol, I wish bro!!! Do you know I did that work over a year ago now, and have used the shower TWICE? I'm not allowed in that bathroom, as per my wife... I 'filth' everything up with my hair clippings, etc. lol!

So yea, I busted my ass demoing a 1970's bathroom (think shiny, powder blue wall tile), gutted everything down to the studs... install a tub with jets, custom tile work, granite coutertop, double sink (used to be 1, with a closet where the 2nd one is now)... and am not allowed to use it!! WOMEN!!!

Day 4

Diet

lean mince beef and chicken meals replaced for tuna (4 cans) + 8 oz serving of Lean Mince with tomatoes and chilli...... I couldnt get tot he butchers in time but had the tuna in cans and some bolognase i made at the weekend with the extra lean mince.

Other than that the diet was as above

Training

Legs

Leg extensions 2 sets of revers drop sets (light weight to start, increase weight (i do 5 increments until I can only get 2 reps out).... try this guys...+ 1 full pyramid set (increase weight, then decrease)

Leg press (wide) 2 working sets

Lying Leg Curls 3 working sets

Standing machine leg curls 2 working sets

Cardio

Stepmill - 45 mins, level 4 (i think our levels are different in the UK)

*Tough cardio session

*Training session was fine, no lack of energy

*A little hunger, nothing too bad tho

The stepmills (stairmaster) in my area are levels 1-20, at level 12 I can barely make 20 min. Major props for knocking out 45 min on that thing. I always head to the cycle after 20 just so I can continue my cardio without dying.

The stepmills (stairmaster) in my area are levels 1-20, at level 12 I can barely make 20 min. Major props for knocking out 45 min on that thing. I always head to the cycle after 20 just so I can continue my cardio without dying.
    Yeh our one is level 1-10...

As Dorian Yates says, over the years the cardio kit has been dumbed down to make you think your doing more

I'm curious base, how do you cook your basmati? Like it says on the package by soaking it for 30 min, then cook? Or is there a quicker way which tastes just as good? That stuff taste great just plain out of the pan. Good stuff! Glad I copied that off your list..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information