Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ezekiel Bread?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member

Ezekiel Bread?

GAWD I just want a Peanut Butter sammich!
    And, I'd REALLY like to have some bread!
    I can live with it being natural P.B. (yuk) but, what's the consensus on Ezekiel bread? Is it a clean enough carb that I can integrate, or why bother?

V-ROID is offline Member
    Ezekial was a stepping stone for me before I cut out all wheat. Rough cuz I was the PBJ kid! If really jonesing you can use brown rice bread, but still carbs. What I have settled on is GarFava flour (garbonzo/fava bean flour) and make flatbread. Or garbonzo flour to make corn bread like muffins. It's been so long since I had bread I don't even miss it, but I feel your pain! It really is a physical addiction (wheat that is) that is hard to kick. Another thing is to check out PB2. It is powdered peanut butter with 85% less fat and tastes most excellent! Mix with water to consistency and slather on flatbread or mix in protein shake. Plenty of sugar free/stevia type jams.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Ezekeil is about your best choice as far as bread goes. No flour, minimal processing. Have at it.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Gbrice, test your fasted blood sugar one morning then have 2 slices of Ezekial and test your blood sugar an hour later. Next day do same thing with a Twinkie. Which one would be higher?

Is this a rhetorical question?

I would imagine they'd be about the same an hour later. Blood glucose wouldn't rise as much with the bread and/or as fast with the bread and would stabilize shortly thereafter. BG would spike much more with the twinkie but after an hour, insulin would have done it's job and disposed of the glucose - ergo, I think they'd be pretty close.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Thanks just wondering what you thought...

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGAN-O-ROID
    Thanks just wondering what you thought...
    Ha ha I thought it was a test!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

P.B.2, eh? Is it available @ the store?
    Ezekiel - I wasn't aware it was wheat flour? I know it has carbs, but so long as they're complex and slow absorbing, I can easily account for it in my diet. I just want to avoid bread made with flour - and it's high gly***ic issues.
    Is it as slow-digesting as, say oatmeal or not so much

P.B.-2 kinda doesn't look as good as natural P.B. To me, the fat isn't the issue, so much as the added sugar.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pb2.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	121922Amazon! Some healthier grocery stores like Sprouts or Trader Joes might have it.

It's made from sprouted whole grain wheat, not flour.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    P.B.-2 kinda doesn't look as good as natural P.B. To me, the fat isn't the issue, so much as the added sugar.
    The chocolate variety has more added sugar. The regular one is pretty much gtg. I use it every day to keep my fat down and still get the flavor of PB.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Ha ha I thought it was a test!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    It's made from sprouted whole grain wheat, not flour.
    It's made from a few different sprouted grains. From Food For Life's site:

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ezekiel Bread was the only bread I would eat when I lived in the States.

With bodybuilding purposes in mind, it is about the only acceptable brand for a bread out there if things have not changed in that realm since I moved back to Turkey...

Cool, I'll give it a try. I'm really getting tired of oatmeal as my late night snack.

JAB1 is offline Member
    I seem to be different than most when concerning wheat/bread. I went a while with just b rice, oats and sweet potato when cutting. Now Im on a lean bulk, and im eating 9 slices of wheat bread a day, cup of oats, some rice, and a flavored yogurt in the morning, and 100 grams of maltodextrin pwo. tons of carbs, mostly bread, on a 4000 cal a day diet. I havent picked up an once of fat, still at ten percent with an extra 12 pounds???? Seems to have no negative effect on me as far as body goes. May be unhealthy on blood sugar, etc. What do you think GBRICE. I was struggling to get all the carbs, cals in to bulk so I went this route via a couple competitive guys I know coaching me. I know this is not what is recommended but it is working for me???

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1 View Post
    I seem to be different than most when concerning wheat/bread. I went a while with just b rice, oats and sweet potato when cutting. Now Im on a lean bulk, and im eating 9 slices of wheat bread a day, cup of oats, some rice, and a flavored yogurt in the morning, and 100 grams of maltodextrin pwo. tons of carbs, mostly bread, on a 4000 cal a day diet. I havent picked up an once of fat, still at ten percent with an extra 12 pounds???? Seems to have no negative effect on me as far as body goes. May be unhealthy on blood sugar, etc. What do you think GBRICE. I was struggling to get all the carbs, cals in to bulk so I went this route via a couple competitive guys I know coaching me. I know this is not what is recommended but it is working for me???
    I would remove Maltodextrin from my diet altogether, it is an unhealthy choice for several reasons.

... and before someone else comes around and claims that Malto is a source of complex carb, it is not.

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    I use rice cakes as a bread alternative. The multigrain no sodium variety. Not sure if they are g2g but I only have 2 a day with tuna.

Rice cakes = extremely high gly***ic value. Might as well eat wonder bread.

Rice cakes = extremely high gly***ic value. Might as well eat wonder bread.
    Like GB said the gly***ic index is pretty worthless and insignificant as most of us eat mixed meals.

You should read up on gly***ic load, much more important IMO.

^^ who cares? Unless he's eating rice cakes by themselves, the GI value is of little significance.

I want to be clear on one thing - I have my 'staple' carbs - oats, sweet potato, etc. I would not make rice cakes, bread, pasta, etc. my go-to carb sources. But as the OP said, he's only eating rice cakes a few times a week. I see no issue there.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I want to be clear on one thing - I have my 'staple' carbs - oats, sweet potato, etc. I would not make rice cakes, bread, pasta, etc. my go-to carb sources. But as the OP said, he's only eating rice cakes a few times a week. I see no issue there.
    Right on. Which is exactly why i enjoy 2 natty pb on Arnold whole wheat bread sandwhiches/week. I could eat them every day if left to my own devices. I LOVE PB and PB sandwhiches. Instead ill make some adjustment to the rest of my days meals and enjoy one of these sandwhiches a couple times/week. Ive been having it with a 25 gram choc protein shake- reminds me of when i was a kid eating pb sandwhich and a glass of choc milk!
    Right now even though im cutting hard - i still make room for 2 of these/week!
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 04-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.

So why am I eating brown rice and oats? Why not wonder bread - as long as I have it with some chicken breast?

Like GB said the gly***ic index is pretty worthless and insignificant as most of us eat mixed meals.

You should read up on gly***ic load, much more important IMO.
    Bingo.

So why am I eating brown rice and oats? Why not wonder bread - as long as I have it with some chicken breast?
    Because brown rice and oats are nutritious, wholesome foods, rich in nutrients and fiber. Wonder Bread and the like are highly processed, nutrient-devoid products. We are about building muscle here, but I also would like to think the majority of us care to lead a healthy lifestyle as well.

Calorie for calorie, there's no significant difference between wonder bread and oats. If muscle building is ALL you care about it, break out the white bread!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Bingo.

Because brown rice and oats are nutritious, wholesome foods, rich in nutrients and fiber. Wonder Bread and the like are highly processed, nutrient-devoid products. We are about building muscle here, but I also would like to think the majority of us care to lead a healthy lifestyle as well.

Calorie for calorie, there's no significant difference between wonder bread and oats. If muscle building is ALL you care about it, break out the white bread!
    now could this statement still be true if changed to "if muscle building with minimal fat gain is all u care about , break out the white bread!???"

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    now could this statement still be true if changed to "if muscle building with minimal fat gain is all u care about , break out the white bread!???"
    IMO, yes, as long as the person doesn't have any issues with their blood sugar or insulin resistance. I'm not saying its healthy or that I would do it, just that the net result would be the same.

IMO, yes, as long as the person doesn't have any issues with their blood sugar or insulin resistance. I'm not saying its healthy or that I would do it, just that the net result would be the same.
    of course the same couldnt be said if trying to cut down to single digit bf%.. at least not "across the board"... maybe for those lucky people who can eat macdonalds and fried chicken and still walk around at 8%bf.. how the heck can they do that? genetics i know .. maybe the medical field should look into genetic modification..

although i must say and correct myself because im about to consume 3000calories from plain bagels over the next 24hrs as well as cereal, milk, fruit.. this diet stuff can be complicated
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 04-13-2012 at 08:18 AM.

double post

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    You ate "some snickers, a burrito and fajitas" last weekend and you are giving me shit about rice cakes? You have to be kidding right?

keep fightin is offline Associate Member
    trader joes carries several sprouted multi grain breads that are low sodium and gluten free, I like 'em..

Interesting. Apparently I need to do some more reading on gly***ic index/load etc. Any good links here / elsewhere?
    I do use pasta, but always with something like turkey or chicken. Am I stil right in assuming that it's better to have carbs with protein - especially the more processed carbs?
    Is it sugar? Meaning, One could go drink a chocolate shake if all carbs are the same... But does the sugar somehow make a difference? I've removed almost all sugar. Lately I've used fat-free milk, but other than that lactose, my sugar intake is very low.

Interesting. Apparently I need to do some more reading on gly***ic index/load etc. Any good links here / elsewhere?
    I do use pasta, but always with something like turkey or chicken. Am I stil right in assuming that it's better to have carbs with protein - especially the more processed carbs?
    Is it sugar? Meaning, One could go drink a chocolate shake if all carbs are the same... But does the sugar somehow make a difference? I've removed almost all sugar. Lately I've used fat-free milk, but other than that lactose, my sugar intake is very low.
    for cutting purposes sugar spikes and insulin release block ur body's ability to mobilize and oxidize fat.. this is where a carb cycle approach can be useful.. u can burn fat on the low carb days and potentially replace lost muscle or build new muscle on the higher carb days.. its a simplified example of the diet im currently running.. bear in mind a lot of other factors come into play.. but thats basically the prob with sugar (or one of the probs) when it comes to cutting.. fat mobilization..

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    This is off topic but since u r both here I want to congratulate oatmeal and 405 on your recent bumps in membership status. Well deserved imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    This is off topic but since u r both here I want to congratulate oatmeal and 405 on your recent bumps in membership status. Well deserved imo.
    I noticed that jimmy, Thank you, I look forward to learning tons more and hopefully contributing some too.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    lol, this is a debate deserving of it's own thread (and i'm sure there are several already)! I'm not even going to touch it atm... I am not around enough these days to defend myself lmao! /hides

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    x2, well deserved indeed!

lol, this is a debate deserving of it's own thread (and i'm sure there are several already)! I'm not even going to touch it atm...
    I don't know enough to debate it... If anyone has links, opinions, etc., I'd like to see 'em. Looks like I'm still pretty in the dark over a very important set of concepts.

I don't know enough to debate it... If anyone has links, opinions, etc., I'd like to see 'em. Looks like I'm still pretty in the dark over a very important set of concepts.
    Know how u feel oat.. This is why its best to stick to wat u KNOW works for uR everyday carb sources:
    1. Oats
    2. Sweet potatoes
    3. Brn rice

LOL.. Why these r the only 3 i recommend.. Have stood the test of time and proven thru my own personal experience to be safe.. Id also like to note i still only use 2 of the 3.. Have yet to venture forth into the uncharted territory of brn rice i find someth that works and i stick to it dude!!

^^ thx jimmy! Appreciate it man

Ok... So - unprocessed complex carbs - not just because of the longer slower insulin spike - but for the nutrient value. Sugar itself = still bad, causing quick sharp insulin spike, promoting fat retention.
    Carbs that aren't sugar aren't necessarily "bad" if it's within one's diet parameters, and used with protein? - or is the "with protein" old hat as well?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    hey.....toasted sure helps!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information