Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    yeah man, you are way to hard on yourself as we all are!

we are our best worst critics!

i have no doubt you will be where you want!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ thanks bud!!

Back from FL!! Got back Monday but have been trying to get caught up at work, etc. I'll start logging workouts again next week. I resumed my current phase this week (GVT) and will be running it again next week so as to have 2 uninterrupted weeks.

All in all, I did very well on vacation. Sure I ate plenty of stuff I normally wouldn't have, but I didn't over do it most of the time. We stayed with family, so I went to the supermarket and bought some staples: egg whites, cottage cheese, Kashi Go Lean cereal, natty PB, and almond milk. The family we stayed with are pretty health-conscience, so most meals were decent - grilled meats, slow-cooker chicken, etc. We had pizza a couple nights, and some alcohol, but I never went nuts. Even got to enjoy some sweets without much negative impact. My body pretty much stayed the same with the exception of the last day or two, where my abs were visibly fading. They're already back to where they were before leaving, maybe even a little better. The overfeeding and/or rest probably did me some good.

I worked out 3 days at various gyms.... no set routines, just kinda enjoyed myself and did what I wanted to do. Had a good deal of strength due to overfeeding and rest, plus working out later in the day than I'm used to. I actually looked and felt bigger... it was nice!

Now it's time to refocus on my goal and get shredded. I have roughly 4 weeks left of my plan before switching it up. Still considering 6 weeks of UD 2.0 after this, but we'll see. I may just run a caloric deficit and go to one of my 'go to' routines that I use for cutting and/or 'bulking'. Also considering lowering my protein intake, lowering carbs further (just a single carb meal/day, pre workout), and raising fats. I definitely felt good eating higher fats over my vacation.

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Honestly, I think everyone should take a week or two off every 6 months or something... Gets your body primed and switches things up.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69
    Honestly, I think everyone should take a week or two off every 6 months or something... Gets your body primed and switches things up.
    Agreed!

twitz is offline Female Member
    I'm happy you're back GB!

Quote Originally Posted by twitz View Post
    I'm happy you're back GB!
    Thanks T, me too!

Just gotta get back into the swing of things. I'm feeling *ultra* lazy with regard to logging, lol.

twitz is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Thanks T, me too!

Just gotta get back into the swing of things. I'm feeling *ultra* lazy with regard to logging, lol.
    You'll get back into it! I know it's hard some days.

Just remember how many of us check your log out, trying to learn, to help keep us motivated. Think of how many of us count on you to help keep us in line...

Will the guilty approach work, or shall I try another route?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    welcome back GB

glad u enjoyed ur vacation..

Quote Originally Posted by twitz

You'll get back into it! I know it's hard some days.

Just remember how many of us check your log out, trying to learn, to help keep us motivated. Think of how many of us count on you to help keep us in line...

Will the guilty approach work, or shall I try another route?
    Lmao, thanks T. I think it worked; I now feel a responsibility to the board and our members! Would love to know what else you had in mind though!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    welcome back GB

glad u enjoyed ur vacation..
    Thanks man, same to you!

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    welcome back GB!.........glad you enjoyed your holiday!

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    welcome bud

-Release the Kracken!!!-

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    welcome back GB!.........glad you enjoyed your holiday!
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    welcome bud

-Release the Kracken!!!-
    Thanks guys, appreciate the warm welcome!

dreadnok89 is offline Member
    thats the weird part GB. Im a pretty big dude and i can truck pretty damn good on the treadmill. i did a mile under 9 minutes. ill take that for being 260. is the treadmill the best cardio?

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best imo. Lookto at gb thread he is doing a lot of total depletion work outs cause he thinks he is fat. Which we all know he is like a teenage girl when it comes ti gaining 1/4 a pound

Hey gear, how many times a week should I run? I don't mean to hijack thread so many replies here haha

I dont think gb will mind
    It matters if your cutting or bulking. Cause hiit is intense and you can lose muscle tissue if your not careful. I personally on do it if I am cutting. If bulking I just do 30 mins standard cardio like stair climber or elliptical.
    This is gb thread and he definitely can answer you better and more in depth then myself.
    I am cutting so I do about 3-4 days a week but short duration periods.

Ya I think thats what I'm trying for as well

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
    thats the weird part GB. Im a pretty big dude and i can truck pretty damn good on the treadmill. i did a mile under 9 minutes. ill take that for being 260. is the treadmill the best cardio?
    Damn dude, that's awesome! I can't do it at my current 196lbs, and wouldn't have dreamed of it 2 months ago @ 219lbs, lol

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best imo. Lookto at gb thread he is doing a lot of total depletion work outs cause he thinks he is fat. Which we all know he is like a teenage girl when it comes ti gaining 1/4 a pound
    Bahahahaha, I accept that!

Resuming my log as of today. 196lbs this past weekend, so I'm back to where I was a week before my trip to FL. Not bad at all, I'm happy with that.

I was planning on running an additional week of GVT (would have been the 3rd [interrupted] week), however I got pretty sick of it after last week and decided to move on with my training, so behold, (final) PHASE 6:

GBC (German Body Composition)

Monday: Chest & Delts

Warmup: Kettlebell swings, 5 mins

Circuit 1: 10 secs rest between exercises
    Plyometric Push-ups: to failure
    Floor Press: 10 reps
    Dumbbell Fly: 10 reps

1 min rest, repeat 5x

Circuit 2: 10 secs rest between exercises
    Clean and Press: 6 reps
    Lateral Raise: 12 reps
    Cable Upright Row: 20 reps

1 min rest, repeat 5x

Tuesday: Cardio - 90 mins (2 sessions)

Wednesday: Legs

Warmup: Bodyweight Squats, 5 mins

Circuit 1:
    Barbell Lunges: 6 reps
    Leg Press: 15 reps
    Barbell Front Squat: 20 reps

Rest 1 min, repeat 4x

Dumbell Deadlift: 20 reps
    Lying Leg Curl: 20 reps

Rest 1 min, repeat 5x

Day 4: Cardio, 90 mins (2 sessions)

Day 5: Back, Arms

Warmup: Kettlebell Swings, 5 mins

Circuit 1: 10 secs rest between exercises
    Lat Pulldown: 10 reps
    Seated Row: 12 reps
    Decline DB Pullover: 20 reps

Rest 1 min, repeat 4x

Bench Dips: 10 reps
    Cable Curl: 10 reps

Rest 1 min, repeat 5x
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-20-2013 at 08:48 AM.

DAY 71: GBC - Chest & Delts

Warmup: Kettlebell swings, 5 mins

Circuit 1: 10 secs rest between exercises, repeat 5x
    Plyometric Push-Ups, to failure
    Set 1: 30
    Set 2: 18
    Set 3: 15
    Set 4: (switched to regular push-ups) 20
    Set 5: 20

Barbell Floor Press: 10 reps
    Set 1: 205lbs x 10
    Set 2: 185lbs x 10
    Set 3: 185lbs x 10
    Set 4: 185lbs x 9
    Set 5: 165lbs x 10

Dumbbell Fly: 10 reps
    Sets 1-5: 45lbs (each) x 10

Circuit 2: 10 secs rest between exercises, repeat 5x
    Clean & Press: 6 reps
    Sets 1-5: 95lbs x 6 (needed to stay light to concentrate on form, but will increase next week)
    Lateral Raise: 12 reps
    Sets 1-5: 15lbs (each) x 12
    Cable Upright Row: 20 reps
    Sets 1-5: 60lbs x 20

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    just noticed

19lbs down in 8 weeks?

w2g

Quote Originally Posted by zaggahamma
    just noticed

19lbs down in 8 weeks?

w2g
    Thanks man. Figuring on at least 5 lbs of water, but definitely lost a good bit of fat.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Good weight loss man..... What's your estimated drop in bodyfat... From and to...

Did u get my PM? I think I sent one but maybe it didn't send....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Good weight loss man..... What's your estimated drop in bodyfat... From and to...

Did u get my PM? I think I sent one but maybe it didn't send....
    Thinking from roughly 17% to 13ish... hard to tell with my love handles still being so gotdamn prominent.

Now that you mention it, I did. Saw it while on my phone and meant to respond once I got in front of a PC, but tbh, forgot! Thanks for the reminder, going there now.

Thinking from roughly 17% to 13ish... hard to tell with my love handles still being so gotdamn prominent.

Now that you mention it, I did. Saw it while on my phone and meant to respond once I got in front of a PC, but tbh, forgot! Thanks for the reminder, going there now.
    How long did it take you to go down 4%

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox

How long did it take you to go down 4%
    About 8 weeks. Keep in mind though that this is just my own estimate. I didn't get my bf measured before starting, nor have I done so recently. I know the look I want to achieve, and as such, am less interested in numbers these days.

DAY 72: (yesterday) Cardio, 60 mins. Bleh. lol

Day 73: GBC: Legs

Warmup: Bodyweight Squats, 5 mins

Circuit 1: 10 secs rest between exercises, 1 min rest between circuit, repeat 4 times

Barbell Lunges - 6 reps each leg
    Sets 1-4: 135lbs x 6

Leg Press - 15 reps
    Sets 1-4: 270lbs x 15

Barbell Front Squat - 20 reps
    Sets 1-4: 95lbs x 20

Holy shit, what a killer circuit! Weight might have been light, but try it with the short rests and repeats... wow. I was already wiped, but, on to circuit 2!

Circuit 2: 10 secs rest between exercises, 1 min rest between circuit, repeat 5 times

Dumbbell Deadlift - 20 reps
    Sets 1-5: 40lbs (each hand) x 20

Lying Leg Curls - 20 reps
    Sets 1-5: 70lbs x 20

/wiped

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    seems like ur gettin back in the swing of things....nice

-Release the Kracken!!!-
    gbrice75 likes this.

On another note... this 12 week regimen is coming to a close next week, and I'm thinking into the near future. I plan to continue cutting, but have to decide on a routine. I was initially thinking about running UD 2.0 for 6 weeks, but am now thinking I don't want to learn an entire new routine/diet... I simply don't want to think that hard as I'm already feeling semi-burned (mentally more than physically).

SO.... I've been itching to implement an HIT-esque routine for a while now, and/or training a single bodypart split as it's literally been YEARS since I've done so. I was planning to wait until the fall when I start 'bulking' since HIT, IMO, is best suited for adding mass. However, if I were to implement an HIT routine, minus the 'advanced' techniques designed to take you beyond failure (e.g. forced reps, negatives, drop sets, rest/pause, static holds, etc.), I think it'd be a helluva nice change for me both mentally and physically.

Now, I've preached in the past (and even very recently, lol) that I disagree with training HIT while cutting. It isn't/wasn't so much that I think HIT is bad for cutting, but rather that there are other approaches (high volume for instance) that I feel are more conducive to a cut. Having said that, I want to focus my training on preserving muscle mass, and let the diet/cardio take care of fat loss. Point being, I no longer want to utilize training to further fat loss (depletion workouts, etc.). With that in mind, I think (moderate) HIT will be a good starting point for me.

I just wanted to clear up any idea that I might be being hypocritical. Let me be the guinea pig. If it works well for me, you'll all be the first to know. If it winds up being a mistake, so be it. This is a continuous learning experience for all of us.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    It's not hypocritical mate. I agree with you mostly but my main issue with hit for cutting is a potential increased risk of injury. That may just be in my head though.

We all have to be our own guinea pigs from time to time, look forward to seeing what you come up with
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    It's not hypocritical mate. I agree with you mostly but my main issue with hit for cutting is a potential increased risk of injury. That may just be in my head though.

We all have to be our own guinea pigs from time to time, look forward to seeing what you come up with
    I know what you mean, and it's a concern of mine as well. To combat this to some degree, I will be keeping volume very low... reps will stay in the 6-10 range, and I'll only do 2 working sets at most, maybe even just 1 depending on the exercise and/or how I feel after the initial working set.

Although weight/intensity will be increased, the lowered volume and frequency should allow my body more rest than it's been getting for a while now. I actually think the high volume/frequency has been frying my CNS more than anything else, and these nagging, chronic injuries (specifically my left shoulder, and more recently, elbow joint) never get a chance to heal because I'm constantly using lifts that recruit them.

I will definitely start slow and increase intensity based on my body's response. I am hoping to stimulate muscle enough to preserve it without going nuts on volume for a while.

SO.... I've been itching to implement an HIT-esque routine for a while now, and/or training a single bodypart split as it's literally been YEARS since I've done so. I was planning to wait until the fall when I start 'bulking' since HIT, IMO, is best suited for adding mass. However, if I were to implement an HIT routine, minus the 'advanced' techniques designed to take you beyond failure (e.g. forced reps, negatives, drop sets, rest/pause, static holds, etc.), I think it'd be a helluva nice change for me both mentally and physically.
    I really hate to admit this, but I've been listening a lot to that blowhard Marcus
    I'm starting to kinda believe that for guys like us, the endless cutting/bulking stuff doesn't work as well... We just shed muscle too easily when we cut, and work WAY too hard to get muscle when we bulk. In other words, eat to grow, with a super clean diet. Burn off the extra calories with cardio, not by "cutting" per se. What do you think?
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    I really hate to admit this, but I've been listening a lot to that blowhard Marcus
    I'm starting to kinda believe that for guys like us, the endless cutting/bulking stuff doesn't work as well... We just shed muscle too easily when we cut, and work WAY too hard to get muscle when we bulk. In other words, eat to grow, with a super clean diet. Burn off the extra calories with cardio, not by "cutting" per se. What do you think?
    I do like Marcus' approach, where he stated he doesn't alter his diet based on bulking/cutting, simply adds in more cardio to create a deficit. Actually, this is something I've preached as being optimal (vs restricting calories further) over the years.

Having said that, it's not exactly what I'm proposing above. While I will be eating in a deficit, it won't be severe, and I will be doing cardio. Training however, will be like nothing else I've ever done while cutting.

Still pondering this and putting it all together, it's certainly not set in stone yet. I also have a go-to routine I could easily run, that I'm very comfortable with, before jumping into this. Also considering DC training for a bit.

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    What's the issue with your shoulder?
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    What's the issue with your shoulder?
    For some reason, I find it particularly tough to describe Kel, but I'll do my best.

It definitely feels like a bone/joint issue. The pain is most prominent on the negative portion of a given shoulder lift vs. positive, and also when trying to hold at the peak of the exercise as with laterals or front raises. The arm position to perform front squats (which I did today) is a killer. I have pain bringing my left arm across my body, but just as well, holding it out to the side (as in lateral raise). Overhead work kills me as well. Actually, I think that covers just about every direction, lol.

I know I need to go see a doc, I just hate docs and don't want to be told that I need to take a break from training, what with the summer right around the corner (and me still sitting around 13% bodyfat).

On a side note - what is your most favorable training approach while cutting?

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Get some MSM Powder and DMSO gel with aloe. Use them. Now, when doing shoulders put pressing at the end of your shoulder work for the time being. Seriously warm up as well. Simple shoulder rotations with your arms stretched out to the sides works great.

Experiment with different positions to get around the pain with laterals. Try one arm at a time while holding on to something stable. Picture the side of your feet against a pole, hold on to it with your left hand with the dumbell in your right hand. Now lean out as far as possible and begin your one-arm lateral raise. Let me know how it goes please.

To your cutting question. You're really asking the wrong guy. I eat clean and a lot and I'm always trying to gain LBM. I haven't dieted or cut in 25 years nor have I ever counted calories, carbs, etc. Sorry. But simply I don't see why you should change your training and risk losing hard earned muscle. Adjust your diet only. I've never agreed with major training changes to facilitate cutting. Caveat is that I assume you are training at a good pace and not slow to begin with.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Get some MSM Powder and DMSO gel with aloe. Use them.
    Will do, thanks.

Now, when doing shoulders put pressing at the end of your shoulder work for the time being. Seriously warm up as well. Simple shoulder rotations with your arms stretched out to the sides works great.

Experiment with different positions to get around the pain with laterals. Try one arm at a time while holding on to something stable. Picture the side of your feet against a pole, hold on to it with your left hand with the dumbell in your right hand. Now lean out as far as possible and begin your one-arm lateral raise. Let me know how it goes please.
    I've done laterals like this before (not recently)... I love the more isolated feeling I get from the lean, not to mention working only 1 side at a time. Time to try em again, thx for the reminder.

To your cutting question. You're really asking the wrong guy. I eat clean and a lot and I'm always trying to gain LBM. I haven't dieted or cut in 25 years nor have I ever counted calories, carbs, etc. Sorry.
    lol, yea, I forgot about that. I know you probably hate my dieting philosophies, although they change as I continue to learn, as in what prompted this conversation to begin with.

But simply I don't see why you should change your training and risk losing hard earned muscle. Adjust your diet only. I've never agreed with major training changes to facilitate cutting.
    This is what I'm starting to see the light on... sounds like you and Marcus are in the same camp with regard to this.

Caveat is that I assume you are training at a good pace and not slow to begin with.
    I know what you mean. The only change that needs to take place is one that brings me back to what I did (albeit incorrectly) years ago.

So cutting out of the picture, do you generally train with a HIT/ Dorian-esque approach? Single bodypart split, muscle groups hit once every 7 days?
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB i like the way marcus put it: the workout that builds the tissue will also preserve the tissue..

ive been lifting heavy since october and as u know cut from 13% to 9% doing it.. screw all that high volume crap! not for me anymore.. when i want to lose fat i manipulate carbs, add in fasting, and increase cardio..
    gbrice75 likes this.

This is what I'm starting to see the light on... sounds like you and Marcus are in the same camp with regard to this.
    Me too. I'm on cycle now so it may be expected with that, but I'm adding LBM AND leaning at the same time. I'll be curious if I can keep it up through PCT. I'd be happy with simply maintaining what I have, although I'd like to shed a bit more fat.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Thread Information