Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Obsessed with sex, you too?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    the other side of that discussion, the point you didn't mention, is that you won't be able to develop and support that position until after having went through it. Quite often, once an evolutionary desire is satiated, then you can move on, and evolve to a higher emotional level.

These unfulfilled needs quite often, especially in our younger years, become the driving force compelling us to act a certain way.

Being told as a youth by a parent "you are a loser" can quite often motivate and drive an individual in their adult years to achieve, in compulsive ways.

Being bullied as a youth, due to size and lack of physical maturity, can quite often drive that individual in physical ways the rest of their lives. Martial arts, weight lifting, and getting in fights; with minimal provocation.

Not having a sexual outlet post puberty, frustrating the libido for years, can cause excessive sexual activity well into advanced adulthood, as if "trying to catch up".

The point I am trying to make, is that not only does a desire need to be satiated, but at the right time, in order to progress in one's development.

I think this may partially explain compulsive behavior, to a certain extent.

(I think we would all agree it's pointless to discuss higher "meta needs" development, when one's stomach is empty.)
    I'm not sure exactly what your trying to say and I don't know what you mean by "meta needs", but I would argue (as I have on previous threads on various subjects) that although our pasts do deeply affect us and often the decisions we make, we all have the power of choice. No matter our family backgrounds, economic status, or past traumatic experiences , we can always choose. We all know the stories about children being raised in the same family and environment and how some turn out "bad" and others "good". Why? Not to be simplistic but it's choices.

I spoke about the Aesthetic Realism principles of contempt and respect. If you study the social sciences, it's not hard to see that this has always been part of humankind but it was unearthed and formed into this body of knowledge in the 1940s by its late founder, Eli Siegel. I've seen (as I've described) that once we know we have those two drives, once we are aware of them - and the consequences and rewards of each - this awareness gives us the power to make the right choice for our happiness and self respect. The idea is beautiful in its simplicity, but tremendous! And completely revolutionary. Contempt and respect are part of us. We have to SEE the fight and win it - though conscious choice. We may indeed fail, but at least we can know why so we can do better the next time. Test it and see if it's true for yourself.
    Last edited by 2Sox; 10-22-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Sox View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what your trying to say and I don't know what you mean by "meta needs", but I would argue (as I have on previous threads on various subjects) that although our pasts do deeply affect us and often the decisions we make, we all have the power of choice. No matter our family backgrounds, economic status, or past traumatic experiences , we can always choose. We all know the stories about children being raised in the same family and environment and how some turn out "bad" and others "good". Why? Not to be simplistic but it's choices.

I spoke about the Aesthetic Realism principles of contempt and respect. If you study the social sciences, it's not hard to see that this has always been part of humankind but it was unearthed and formed into this body of knowledge in the 1940s by its late founder, Eli Siegel. I've seen (as I've described) that once we know we have those two drives, once we are aware of them - and the consequences and rewards of each - this awareness gives us the power to make the right choice for our happiness and self respect. The idea is beautiful in its simplicity, but tremendous! And completely revolutionary. Contempt and respect are part of us. We have to SEE the fight and win it - though conscious choice. We may indeed fail, but at least we can know why so we can do better the next time. Test it and see if it's true for yourself.
    Meta needs (from psychology classes years ago in college)
    meta-need - definition of meta-need by Medical dictionary

"As described by Abraham Maslow, a general term for any higher need of an individual, such as for personal growth, truth, justice, meaningfulness, creative expression, transcendence of self, and for peak experiences." AKA - self actualization needs.

The base needs are to satiate

hunger and survival

beyond that, is procreation

then the higher meta needs that lead us towards self enlightenment. Happiness, etc.

My point, is that unless you can satisfy to a certain extent a base "meta" need, sex, at the right time in your development, it can drive us with the compulsive need to over compensate. Yes, this compulsion can be conquered, but is difficult. We inhibit this desire early on. We are told to just say no to sex. We are taught abstinence. We abstain, yet we crave. This early on, when our brains are still developing, gets "hard wired" somehow into our make up. So we "overly" crave, which can lead to sexual addiction, and unhappy midlife crisis. This is just a tendency, not a certainty, but helps explain to a certain extent, what we do.

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Meta needs (from psychology classes years ago in college)
    meta-need - definition of meta-need by Medical dictionary

"As described by Abraham Maslow, a general term for any higher need of an individual, such as for personal growth, truth, justice, meaningfulness, creative expression, transcendence of self, and for peak experiences." AKA - self actualization needs.
    Yes, I'm familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Having been an educator for thirty years, this was pounded into us over the years. Very valuable and interesting stuff, but rather incomplete thinking, in my opinion. I've explained why previously.
    Last edited by 2Sox; 10-23-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information