SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate

Back surgery, how screwed am I??

OK, so I have a herniated disc (again) in my lower back that is to the point it is causing pressure on my siatic nerve and I have constant pain in my right glute down my right leg and even slight movements are painful.

The previous surgeries went well and the doctor did some microscopic surgery to shave the herniated part off so that I still had the use and flexability of the disc as opposed to fusing the spine which would have left me with somewhat less range of motion.

My problem is that i a on week 5 of my cycle and still tryng to do what I can at the gym without pain but obviously legs and squats are almost out of the question. Does squatting with heavy weights (400-600) cause enough pressure on the spine to be doing damage to my discs?

Just looking for any advice on things that may help. i am worried that I will not be allowed to train for several months after the operation and I will lose everything and have to start from scratch.

any thoughts or words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated!!

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    just wanted to say good luck and i hope you get the correct info on your back im not the guy with the info on this but again good luck

Holeshot is offline New Member
    I had a full Discectomy (L4/L5) in 2000 which has limited my squat ability since. I would guard your back very carefully if you have damage already.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot
    I had a full Discectomy (L4/L5) in 2000 which has limited my squat ability since. I would guard your back very carefully if you have damage already.
    Thanks bro!!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ok, i have to sides to this,

first, if the disc is problematic and giving you pain, i wouldnt squat until it was repaired.. there are also alot of non surgical treatments that help alleviate idsc pain, lumbar traction is by far the beast, also spinal manipulations

but on the flip side, i know a mn who had disc surgery,he is almost 50 years old,and he started to deadlift heavy again and has worked his way back to over 700lbs against his doctors advice and hasnt had any problems,

so theanswer i would say is yes it is possible to squat, but if youarent powerlifter, and you are doing this just for BBing purposes, keep the squats light and use other means to gain leg size(ext, curls, leg press, etc etc)

kwendell is offline New Member
    Doc, do you think one of those inverted traction tables would help him with disc pain such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    ok, i have to sides to this,

first, if the disc is problematic and giving you pain, i wouldnt squat until it was repaired.. there are also alot of non surgical treatments that help alleviate idsc pain, lumbar traction is by far the beast, also spinal manipulations

but on the flip side, i know a mn who had disc surgery,he is almost 50 years old,and he started to deadlift heavy again and has worked his way back to over 700lbs against his doctors advice and hasnt had any problems,

so theanswer i would say is yes it is possible to squat, but if youarent powerlifter, and you are doing this just for BBing purposes, keep the squats light and use other means to gain leg size(ext, curls, leg press, etc etc)

Thanks a lot Doc !! I will keep it light. THe doc perscribed a month of therapy to see if we can get it to go down a bit. Looks like scar tissue from the first surgery is pushin on the nerve
    therapy to include all you mentioned. Electric stim, traction, massage, etc....

Thanks again

Thread Information