Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254

    Us old farts soreness / intensity of lifting

    how sore should we be, i'm still hurting from Tues.'s lift (chest), is that 'overtraining' or is it a good thing? I'm guessing we need to not be so intense, assuming it takes us longer to recover than some young buck?

  2. #2
    sik's Avatar
    sik
    sik is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    how sore should we be, i'm still hurting from Tues.'s lift (chest), is that 'overtraining' or is it a good thing? I'm guessing we need to not be so intense, assuming it takes us longer to recover than some young buck?

    How old are US old farts?

  3. #3
    2bshredded's Avatar
    2bshredded is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the basement
    Posts
    830
    Have you just got back into lifting. I'm 48 and it takes me roughly 48 hours to recover form a major chest routine..........back is another story, sucks getting old.....but we just have to press on!!!

  4. #4
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254
    This old coot is 42. Yeah, i just got back into it after laying off awhile. Getting old beats the alternative...

  5. #5
    2bshredded's Avatar
    2bshredded is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the basement
    Posts
    830
    I would suggest just starting off with lighter weights, higher reps and full body workouts, just to get your body back into tune.
    Once you're feeling stronger pair up body parts......back, arms......chest, tri's.....legs, shoulders.....however you want to split them up.
    Just give yourself decent time to recover and sooner than later you'll be hitting harder and harder.

  6. #6
    sik's Avatar
    sik
    sik is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    This old coot is 42. Yeah, i just got back into it after laying off awhile. Getting old beats the alternative...
    Alrighty bro, 40 here..
    Recovery does change, as well joint issues but I have resolved most with a slight increase in rep ranges..

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Oki-Des's Avatar
    Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,306
    Im 38 and still recover fairly quickly. But, you have to take it in moderation. If you want to make a serious change it will occur over time. If you push yourself to much you will burn out quickly as well. Most likely every part of your body will hurt the same as you attack them in the gym. Good luck and hang in there.

  8. #8
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254
    My upper chest is still hurtin i think i need to realize i'm not 20 anymore

  9. #9
    Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    226
    Gators, how many sets\reps are you doing? I'm 40 and got started back about 5 months ago after an accident. When I started back, I was doing a lot of reps and sets. I was fatigued and worn out all the time. I switched to a total power workout with low reps, low sets, higher weight. I kept a clean diet, do lots of cardio and as a result, I look better now than I have since I was in my early 20's. I am also a lot stronger, less stress on the joints and feel much better.

  10. #10
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254
    On my chest Tues, i did 4 sets of BP, 10 reps, 4 sets of flat DB flys, 4 sets of inclined DB flys, 4 sets of inclined DB press (all 8-10 reps), except BP (i workout by myself) did all till failure.

    Interested in this total power workout, i'm not sure what i'm doing is right. I wanna build lean muscle, look good (for myself and wife of 18 yrs), and feel good.

  11. #11
    whiteowl is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    410
    hey gator....at 55 i just hang with high reps and low weight....if i miss ten days cause i am on the road, i have the soreness you describe...otherwise it is just a tightness on the second day with an occasional reach that says hello.....but i am just working to keep the joints surrounded with a little help....

  12. #12
    Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    12,114
    I am 53 and still lift heavy with low reps but my routine is spread over 4 days at one body part a day so each part has seven days to recover. I am usually sore for about two to three days

  13. #13
    Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    On my chest Tues, i did 4 sets of BP, 10 reps, 4 sets of flat DB flys, 4 sets of inclined DB flys, 4 sets of inclined DB press (all 8-10 reps), except BP (i workout by myself) did all till failure.

    Interested in this total power workout, i'm not sure what i'm doing is right. I wanna build lean muscle, look good (for myself and wife of 18 yrs), and feel good.
    Go to the powerlifting forum, read the articles at the top, if you have any questions, ask Doc. Sust. that's what I did.

  14. #14
    inky-e's Avatar
    inky-e is offline AR's ORIGINAL ANABOLIC OUTLAW~ [RIP-8/20/11]
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    the three oh!
    Posts
    13,329
    I'm 44, If you're just getting started working out then the first weeks will be the worst, it gets better, stick to it!

  15. #15
    OnT's Avatar
    OnT
    OnT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    217
    47 here.
    Sore two days max on T.
    5 to 6 days off.

  16. #16
    whiteowl is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    410
    gators...that workout will get you definition....low weights, high reps will cut you...high weights and low reps will bulk you....recovery time will shorten once you are at it for a while....but you're right...we aren't 20 anymore

  17. #17
    dillinger is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    I'm 50. 6' 1", 215 pounds. Working out for 30 years. My workouts used to kick my ass and I'd be sore for days. Friends kept telling me to cycle the intesity and I'd laugh and call them weak. Elbows, shoulders, and neck finally convinced me to try it. What a difference. My bench is back up to 340, can do sets of 8 dips with 180 pounds (4 plates). I work out 3 days a week now. One heavy day vice 3. I recover and feel better than ever.

    I'm also on TRT. My doctor has me on 150 mgs Test Cyp every 5 days. Been doing this for 3 years now. What a difference. For those that are convinced that working out is a life long choice, get your blood work done. Found out that I was hypo-thyroid and had a test score of a woman. It has changed my life in a very positive fashion. I'm not tired all the time any more and can function better than many 30 year olds that I work with. Will I ever be as strong as I was when I was 30? No, but I'm quite pleased being an old guy in the gym that is stronger than most of the young bucks.

  18. #18
    2bshredded's Avatar
    2bshredded is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the basement
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by dillinger View Post
    I'm 50. 6' 1", 215 pounds. Working out for 30 years. My workouts used to kick my ass and I'd be sore for days. Friends kept telling me to cycle the intesity and I'd laugh and call them weak. Elbows, shoulders, and neck finally convinced me to try it. What a difference. My bench is back up to 340, can do sets of 8 dips with 180 pounds (4 plates). I work out 3 days a week now. One heavy day vice 3. I recover and feel better than ever.

    I'm also on TRT. My doctor has me on 150 mgs Test Cyp every 5 days. Been doing this for 3 years now. What a difference. For those that are convinced that working out is a life long choice, get your blood work done. Found out that I was hypo-thyroid and had a test score of a woman. It has changed my life in a very positive fashion. I'm not tired all the time any more and can function better than many 30 year olds that I work with. Will I ever be as strong as I was when I was 30? No, but I'm quite pleased being an old guy in the gym that is stronger than most of the young bucks.


    Hahahaha.....It's all in how you look and feel, at 48....I look better than most 20 and 30 year olds!

  19. #19
    kuad is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    sobe
    Posts
    974
    ....

  20. #20
    kuad is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    sobe
    Posts
    974
    i am running 100mg test per week and wantto get blood work done. how will this affect results?

  21. #21
    Madeira Jon is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Madeira Island, Atlantic
    Posts
    38
    Come on you kids!
    I've just re-started BBing again 6 months ago at 70, ! Sorry about the shaggy beard but my hairdresser is on holiday!
    I am about to commence my first cycle using Anavar , at 40, 40, 25, 25, to improve the physique. At least I intend to look pretty in my coffin (casket)!
    My weight is 200 pounds, down from 256 last year and my height is 5 feet 6 inches.
    Last edited by Madeira Jon; 05-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.

  22. #22
    Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    226
    Maderia Jon, OUTSTANDING!!! Man, you are in awesome shape!!! First, I hope that I am alive at your age, and second, I hope that I look half as good as you do!! I bet you have no problem picking up ladies!!! Keep up the great work!!!

  23. #23
    spywizard's Avatar
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the Gym, if i could
    Posts
    15,891
    Soreness is soreness, the build up of lactic acid in the muscle, I find stretching and more stretching (yoga if you can stand it) does wonders for the body, especially as we get older.

    Find a routine that will not blow out your CNS but at the same time cause enough damage to cause strength and size growth..

    doing 1 bodypart per day is a good way to go, and switch upper and lower eod

    or

    mon chest
    tuesday legs
    off
    thursday back
    off
    saturday arm blast
    off

    that will give the body time to recover, and you won't be near as sore..
    The answer to your every question

    Rules

    A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.


    If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

  24. #24
    Madeira Jon is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Madeira Island, Atlantic
    Posts
    38
    BRAVEHEART,
    Very many thanks for the compliment.
    I bet you have no problem picking up ladies!!
    I've been married 46 years! "Her indoors" won't let me go" (GRIN)
    I'll post my findings about the Anavar cycle. I'm a little apprehensive as I've already got an enlarged prostate, I can't blast the tiles of the wall like I used to, but I'm stacking the cycle with Saw Paletto, Milk Thistle, and Finisteride.

  25. #25
    ecto9's Avatar
    ecto9 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    988
    Blog Entries
    14
    O.K. 49 here growing on 15 mentally, lol. Lots of good info in this thread.

    The full body w/o to get back in tune, then 2 bodyparts per week is what I do.

    Gators you could also be suffering from DOMS. I do also. It's been 3 days and did this soreness just start for you, or has it been a straight 3days of pain?

    Anywho, I used to w/o for 2hrs 3 days a week lifting and ran in between alot.. Recovered very quickly back in the day. Things are diff today.

    I like the advice of lower weight and higher reps. That's my new program over the next several months. Been lifting very heavy for so long and not growing very well, and sore all the time. Must be the age thing.

    Madeira, sheet you look 50 bro!!! You give hope to us all. I'll be lifting for life, it is a great anti-aging plan now isn't it!

  26. #26
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by ecto9 View Post
    O.K. 49 here growing on 15 mentally, lol. Lots of good info in this thread.

    The full body w/o to get back in tune, then 2 bodyparts per week is what I do.

    Gators you could also be suffering from DOMS. I do also. It's been 3 days and did this soreness just start for you, or has it been a straight 3days of pain?

    Anywho, I used to w/o for 2hrs 3 days a week lifting and ran in between alot.. Recovered very quickly back in the day. Things are diff today.

    I like the advice of lower weight and higher reps. That's my new program over the next several months. Been lifting very heavy for so long and not growing very well, and sore all the time. Must be the age thing.

    Madeira, sheet you look 50 bro!!! You give hope to us all. I'll be lifting for life, it is a great anti-aging plan now isn't it!
    I suffer from dumbs, not sure what DOMS is, but the pain steadily progressed for 3 days, then stayed at a steady "ow damn that hurts" for a couple more. Quickly chilled out some, and it's all good, interesting how our mind still feels 20...

    Jon, you da man!!

  27. #27
    ecto9's Avatar
    ecto9 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    988
    Blog Entries
    14
    Delayed Onsett Muscle Soreness

  28. #28
    Madeira Jon is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Madeira Island, Atlantic
    Posts
    38
    I would suggest for DOMS (I didn't know that as well!) that you can take Glutamine which helps to replenish the muscles after WOs. I've been taking this since I started doing heavy WOs and have never suffered from soreness. I also supplement with creatine plus beta-analine. Google for extra details of these amino acids.

  29. #29
    Gators is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    vast rt.wing conspiracy
    Posts
    254
    Ordered my Test E today, think i'm going w/ 150mg every 4 days

  30. #30
    MATTMAN01 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goldy
    Posts
    852
    Jon dude lookin great!
    43 here, Glutamine works great for me. For chest especially I do 4 sets/ exercise 2 lighter and higher reps 15,12 then 2 heavy 4,5 then maybe another light one, depends on energy levels.I find this helps warm up larger muscle groups and helps the flexibility issue.I'm only usually sore after I train after time off.

  31. #31
    Mercurii's Avatar
    Mercurii is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10

    New member Looking for Sound Advice

    *Delete*
    Last edited by Mercurii; 05-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.

  32. #32
    MATTMAN01 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goldy
    Posts
    852
    Merc you just hijacked someone elses thread, you really need to start your own thread if you want the "knowledgable" ones advice.

  33. #33
    Madeira Jon is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Madeira Island, Atlantic
    Posts
    38
    MATTMAN01
    That was nicely put. That was civilised. I've been on some sites where Merc would have been sworn at and flamed!

  34. #34
    Mercurii's Avatar
    Mercurii is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10
    My apologies and thanks for consideration.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •