Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Prox & BuzzardMarinePumper’s (Final?) Log

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardMarinePumper View Post
    Thanks , it is out patient , but 3 hr surgery . I have all the intention of starting back at least by mid Feb. Man I am having mental issues being out of the gym so long ...... I was just headed to a good size to start cutting and be just right for an old man and all that work , maybe not in vein ? But the climb back will be a different route and I will have to find different ways to get my gym time pleasure ! No more grabbing the weight of choice and working through the pain . Pain does not prevent me from desiring to lift it is now about lifting smart and pay very close attention to the pain ........ time will tell and at 59 time is not exactly on my side . To lift productively at 59 good body health is a rarity from what I see . Either some men think they have let themselves go to far and then me pain pushes me further and further away from the gym and backpacking actually 2 of the more important things in my life except for women ...... oh , lol , and including my grand daughter in that mix. But I am not ready to sit in my rocking chair and play with the babies

Actually discussing a repair plan moving forward from today with the VA Dr. the MD I have now is very up to date and practical . He said see what happens with the back and try to avoid shoulder surgery if the back goes well ease back into the gym and work smart and work hard for about a year to a year and a 1/2 . Then if I have been able to hold off revisit my no cartilage knees
    I like the plan and agree about the shoulder. The knee issues will simply limit your choices of exercises & cardio, but I bet you'll be able to work around them.

Hear you regarding mental health. However, we'll be able to keep each other going on this thread. This is going to be a slow & gradual process for each of us. We'll take it little steps at a time and this time next year will look back and smile.

Isn't the surgery tomorrow? Good luck & here's to that very first step!

BuzzardMarinePumper is offline Knowledge Member on Prostate Cancer
    Blog Entries
    Today is the 19th and had surgery the 18th 9:00 am Norco 5/325 low dose 2x's a day only taken one . when the pain hit hit wax pen and go to sleep . I was out from 1:30 until about 7:00 this am . Little to very tolerable pain no meds period . Maybe pain will come later but now is much better than pre op ! We are supposed to have slight winter event tomorrow and if I feel this good I will be out and about . Even cooked a couple of eggs this am actually had a few moments to enjoy coffee pain free .

No I will not make this the cry baby thread . I know pain and to get me complaining has to be real pain ! I at this time Sat morn feel very positive to much brighter days to come .
    Proximal and Family_guy like this.

Alright, surgery is done & congrats on the early pain relief!

What’s the doc recommend regarding activity levels this week? I’m thinking he wants you take it SLOW.

Screw cry-baby thread, post every thing you want. We have worked out & worn through our bodies for 40 plus years, longer than some of the guys on this forum have been alive. Yet, we keep after it.

This is going to be a slow and gradual process for us both, but I am confident that we will both progress. We’ve got all the time in the world Buzz.

Down another pound or two, scale right around 195.5, so closing in on 10 pounds lost.

Still cautious, but my rhomboid pain is still mostly gone & have started to decrease Advil usage. Took MRI ‘s this week as a precaution to see if there is a glaring issue. Think I’ll start doing some light back work this week.

Caffeine intake is still at 50%, but the BP seems a bit better and often below 120 and staying in the mid 80’s for diastolic. Have been using beetroot tablets and hibiscus tea through the day & it’s possible they are helping. It’s also possible that worrying about the pain drove up the BP as well. MD appt. cancelled & not going to change meds yet because I am changing my supplement protocol because of this good news.

Tried high repetition training this week & it really agrees with me. I love the pain & have a very high tolerance for it. Realized however that I did have shoulder joint soreness the next day & that’s not cool in my situation. Thinking I might do chest and shoulders only 1x/wk. Find that I am enjoying doing legs again.

Keeping with my initial phase of cutting as much fat as possible & re-gaining/adding a little muscle. Fingers crossed that I’ll have a second month as successful as this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    No, only morning. More of a habit then a physical need. I have a bit of OCD though, so habits are not easily broken.

Doing very well, hope you are as well.
    100-200mg of Theanine is a great addition to coffee. It calms many of the teeth-clenching (even the subtler forms of this) type effects caused by coffee which has a focus increasing effect. I take 200mg 2 x daily even though I don't drink coffee. That dose has been shown to help with sleep and have calming effects.
    Family_guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    100-200mg of Theanine is a great addition to coffee. It calms many of the teeth-clenching (even the subtler forms of this) type effects caused by coffee which has a focus increasing effect. I take 200mg 2 x daily even though I don't drink coffee. That dose has been shown to help with sleep and have calming effects.
    I’ve been digging my hibiscus tea quite a bit.

Triceps yesterday & with exception to dips, can keep the shoulders out of the equation. So I can relax & have some fun with volume (quantity) & resistance.

Strength is returning & increasing, plus felt a sick pump. Wasn't working around any mirrors so couldn't see, but caught a couple of stares.

Got to the locker room, looked in the mirror and saw why. Big smile.

More help on the way in the mail. If my body holds out, this will be a very interesting year.
    Quester likes this.

I've heard that there is a way to do dips that minimizes risk for shoulders but can't remember it.
    Proximal likes this.

I've heard that there is a way to do dips that minimizes risk for shoulders but can't remember it.
    A "normal" shoulder really isn't at too much risk, but I'm not normal, lol.

The shoulder motion itself can be limited, but it's the pressure up into the joint that's an issue. I use a seated dip machine, so I can use less weight and more reps. Plus it's easier to maintain form.
    Quester likes this.

I hadn't thought of a seated dip machine. I can see how it would also have the benefit of more stability due to the fixed path. That might cause less stress on the non-primary muscles and the non-muscle part of the joint.
    Proximal and Family_guy like this.

Blog Entries
    As a part of my down time I have been researching non primary muscles ; the ones they work on and build up in PT . This is just a thought I have been considering . As opposed to building non primary muscles after an injury why not build them from the start as opposed to going straight to the major muscle groups . I have never read of one or more of the smarter guys on this forum specifically working on non primary muscles to help prevent injuries before they happen ?

Prox you being a PT , you possibly may know the answer to this . Because if I do not hear negative feed back about my thought I am going to concentrate part of each session on non primary muscles in hopes of even a better chance of avoiding more injury ? Sound off like you got a pair guys all thoughts are welcome .....

I hadn't thought of a seated dip machine. I can see how it would also have the benefit of more stability due to the fixed path. That might cause less stress on the non-primary muscles and the non-muscle part of the joint.
    Proximal and Obs like this.

As a part of my down time I have been researching non primary muscles ; the ones they work on and build up in PT . This is just a thought I have been considering . As opposed to building non primary muscles after an injury why not build them from the start as opposed to going straight to the major muscle groups . I have never read of one or more of the smarter guys on this forum specifically working on non primary muscles to help prevent injuries before they happen ?

Prox you being a PT , you possibly may know the answer to this . Because if I do not hear negative feed back about my thought I am going to concentrate part of each session on non primary muscles in hopes of even a better chance of avoiding more injury ? Sound off like you got a pair guys all thoughts are welcome .....
    I’m a little lost on the non-primary muscle concept Buzz. I was even a tad confused by Q’s comment. Can you give me specifics please?
    Obs likes this.

Nice Biceps workout

WS only
    Machine incline curls 6 reps x 8 sets.
    Preacher 6 x 8
    Barbell curls 6 x 8
    Reverse 4 x 15
    Forearms SS wrist curls and reverse wrist curls 3x15

Leg press 4 x 20
    Seated Calves 4 x 15

Abs
    Obs likes this.

Blog Entries
    I may have been in the dark all of my life and I am the dumb one ? I have never given non primary muscles a thought . I just thought of muscle groups as Traps , Delts , Biceps , Triceps , Glutes , Quads and Calves , generally major core muscles Shoulders , Back , Chest , and add smaller muscle groups at any given time for a routine or make changes .

But during rehab for shoulders , hip , back . I ask tons of questions and they clarified with explanations . I even had them show me on a chart what they called non-primary muscles and they are all of the supporting muscles that assist the major muscles in functioning . They are weaker and easier to strengthen so PT focuses on them 1st to support the major muscles to prevent injuries in the future .

lol , 40 years ago I was asleep during the way to train non primary muscles ? The non primary muscles seem to me need to have more focus as a better foundation ....... to prevent injury before it happens ?? As always thought are welcome and appreciated .

I’m a little lost on the non-primary muscle concept Buzz. I was even a tad confused by Q’s comment. Can you give me specifics please?
    Family_guy and Proximal like this.

I may have been in the dark all of my life and I am the dumb one ? I have never given non primary muscles a thought . I just thought of muscle groups as Traps , Delts , Biceps , Triceps , Glutes , Quads and Calves , generally major core muscles Shoulders , Back , Chest , and add smaller muscle groups at any given time for a routine or make changes .

But during rehab for shoulders , hip , back . I ask tons of questions and they clarified with explanations . I even had them show me on a chart what they called non-primary muscles and they are all of the supporting muscles that assist the major muscles in functioning . They are weaker and easier to strengthen so PT focuses on them 1st to support the major muscles to prevent injuries in the future .

lol , 40 years ago I was asleep during the way to train non primary muscles ? The non primary muscles seem to me need to have more focus as a better foundation ....... to prevent injury before it happens ?? As always thought are welcome and appreciated .
    O.K., think I know where you are coming from.

For shoulders, the obvious one is the RC, which you and I know all about.

Posture plays a role & even though there are exercises to avoid forward bending from the neck & mid- back (called a forward head posture & can impact the shoulder) the reality is, it’s just non-stop, conscious effort. Actually my recent problem is likely postural & I have been working at this constantly.

Also for shoulders, scapular control is needed, so being able to get those rhomboids activated to keep the scapula pulled back (retracted) is necessary.

Lumbar spine, you have all of that “core” training. Planks, balance work, etc.

For the hips and knees, the gluteus mediums is critical. This where you see folks doing those side-lying exercises called clamshells, or exercise tubing around their thighs, trying to side step or squat while keeping the thighs rotated and out to the side. And their is the hip abduction machine.

This is one of those questions that could take hours to be thorough- if you can give me a specific concern, I can be better at zeroing in on particulars.

One thing to keep in mind though Buzz, is if it is DJD, (degenerative joint disease/arthritis) exercises don’t do one heck of a lot, if anything at all. It’s now a question of choosing exercises correctly (and watching/altering form) in order to avoid or slow down the degenerative process. Regrettably, this is likely where we are both at in many of our issues.

So, is the back responding to your procedure?
    Quester likes this.

Blog Entries

I can sleep and walk and drive almost pain free . I went to the gym and did some lat pull downs and rode the upright bike and the next day my back was screaming at me the worst since the procedure . I actually called the Dr and he said the pain was from inflammation and I need to take it easy a while longer . After this long I can give it a another week which will be Wed and try again . i really sound like an old creeper ..... lol , but today I walked 2 miles on a flat ground .

Maybe other ppl have heard of this ? But my Dr said next time I went in he was going to do blood work to see if I had arthritis & what kind and he could give me meds for it ???

I can sleep and walk and drive almost pain free . I went to the gym and did some lat pull downs and rode the upright bike and the next day my back was screaming at me the worst since the procedure . I actually called the Dr and he said the pain was from inflammation and I need to take it easy a while longer . After this long I can give it a another week which will be Wed and try again . i really sound like an old creeper ..... lol , but today I walked 2 miles on a flat ground .

Maybe other ppl have heard of this ? But my Dr said next time I went in he was going to do blood work to see if I had arthritis & what kind and he could give me meds for it ???
    Listen to the doc & take it SLOW.

Watch the seated stuff. Surprisingly, that position one the bike is horrible for the lumbar spine sometimes, particularly if your posture isn’t PERFECT. I’d say try elliptical as well. How does your back do with walking? But with that said, don’t you have a knee issue?

Just asked my wife about the bw, she said a definite yes.

Blog Entries
    Listen to the doc & take it SLOW.

Watch the seated stuff. Surprisingly, that position one the bike is horrible for the lumbar spine sometimes, particularly if your posture isn’t PERFECT. I’d say try elliptical as well. How does your back do with walking? But with that said, don’t you have a knee issue?

Just asked my wife about the bw, she said a definite yes.

Hell man as of late I have issues everywhere , lol ! But just not ready for the rocking chair . You know you are getting old when you say I walked 2 miles today and you are actually bragging ! LMAO . As far as knees go I can still tolerate that pain ! Considering trying Steem Cell for Knees 1

Kinda cool about the BW to tell what type of arthritis I have and implied he would be able to script med to get the swelling out of my joints ?? Bet he will prescribe Daca - NOT ! One thing that seems to be a common issue with all of these pain issues is swelling is a primary cause of pain or at least a common thread in most pain .

Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 01-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Proximal and KennyJ like this.

You and I both Buzz. These youngsters have no idea what they’re in for.

2 miles is nothing to sneeze at, but watch that “tolerate pain” stuff IF it is telling you that you are making things worse. BTW, total knees are a walk in the park.

He might be thinking Psoriatic arthritis, particularly because of the swelling.

Is your MD still good with TRT though? Are finances tight, because the guys seem to be using a couple of peptides for pain and swear by them. I think they may be pricey though if it’s every month for the rest of your lifting life. I don’t touch them, I just want to know how much I am aggravating my shoulder so I can keep this one for more than 7 years (MD’s prediction ).

BTW, nice avi. I swear though, the older I get, each year my chest sags a bit more. Thank God not as much as yours, lol.
    Last edited by Proximal; 01-27-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Added some LGD for the last week. So it's that, 200 mg. TRT & Sermorelin for now.

Workouts solid, diet clean with a gradual addition of calories & weight holding at 197-198. However leaning out, a touch more vascular & strength is increasing.

Taking it slow, did some shopping and will be upping things shortly upon arrival.

However, the more I'm in the gym, the more I see that missing bicep & its pissing me off. Maybe there is a silicone implant that can be inserted to fill out the missing long head. Also still dreading the day the RC tears completely. Actually had a dream last night that that shoulder/arm went dead and I couldn't move it-really scared me.
    KennyJ likes this.

I was referring to the muscles which play a support role in a specific exercise.
    KennyJ likes this.

I was referring to the muscles which play a support role in a specific exercise.
    I was thinking that. I was lazy & should have googled. I’m too old, I just knew them as joint stabilizers. Of course, we didn’t have TVs or cars back in those days either lol.
    KennyJ likes this.

Stabilizers...Damn. The other day I was talking about food and kept saying contour and no one could relate. Finally, my girlfriend said, "oh, texture."
    Family_guy, KennyJ and Proximal like this.

Hey Prox, I have cervical pain after doing upper traps and shoulders. Doesn't so much matter the exercise. Something I can do different or change?

Hey Prox, I have cervical pain after doing upper traps and shoulders. Doesn't so much matter the exercise. Something I can do different or change?
    My first guess is that you might be over extending your neck. Even an exaggerated tilt of the head backwards is enough to do it. Try to keep your neck/cervical region more neutral.
    KennyJ likes this.

So MRI shows significant narrowing of intervertebral/neural foremen (tunnel for the spinal nerve out of sides of 2 adjoining vertebra). Essentially nasty arthritis, but no disc issues.

In honor of that & continued eliminated back pain, did my first true back workout of this year (but still kept it at moderate intensity). Also hit deltoids with WS of 8 reps x 6 sets each with a DD on last set.
    Machine laterals
    Bent over flies
    Upright rows
    Kept the ROM in mid range to eliminate RC stress & impingement.

Leave it to me to screw up my first WU order. Who knew you had to spell the recipients name completely correct. 2 vowels in wrong order causing a 2 week delay. F-me. Just notified, finally it’s on its way though.

New rule: woman with anything remotely decent in lower body development and better, are not allowed to wear those tight yoga work-out pants in the gym. Damn distraction, granted a pleasant one, but still a distraction none the less.
    KennyJ and Quester like this.

Damn, time flies, almost 2 months in & feeling it’s been a success. Been using the LGD for a couple of weeks & now scale is going the other way. 201 today, but mirror looks good. My Delts and arms are filling in a bit, but not looking fatter. If I had to estimate, I’d say 17% bf. But dammit, missing my left biceps now as my arms are growing again.

Also have done a nice job of gradually adding more calories & discovered (inexplainable how I forgot about it), how nicely carbs help in giving me a nice pump in the gym. I really missed that feeling.

Back pain remains gone & shoulder is without pain (only working chest/Delts 1x/wk.). I am deliberately resting more, sometimes dropping to 2 days on and 1 day off and my body is saying TY.

Next phase starts this week. I am definitely down with the sickness.
    KennyJ and Quester like this.

KennyJ is offline Member
    Damn, time flies, almost 2 months in & feeling it’s been a success. Been using the LGD for a couple of weeks & now scale is going the other way. 201 today, but mirror looks good. My Delts and arms are filling in a bit, but not looking fatter. If I had to estimate, I’d say 17% bf. But dammit, missing my left biceps now as my arms are growing again.

Also have done a nice job of gradually adding more calories & discovered (inexplainable how I forgot about it), how nicely carbs help in giving me a nice pump in the gym. I really missed that feeling.

Back pain remains gone & shoulder is without pain (only working chest/Delts 1x/wk.). I am deliberately resting more, sometimes dropping to 2 days on and 1 day off and my body is saying TY.

Next phase starts this week. I am definitely down with the sickness.
    Keep us updated boss!
    Proximal likes this.

My first guess is that you might be over extending your neck. Even an exaggerated tilt of the head backwards is enough to do it. Try to keep your neck/cervical region more neutral.
    I started doing much of my shoulder work seated. I just try to barely touch the back of my head to the back of the cushion so I don't go to far either way. I think it might train me to keep my head in a neutral position. It also requires some adjustment in my back as to how the weights are lifted. I feel a little difference as far as which muscles are used.

Glad to hear it is arthritis rather than a disc (I think, ...it sounds better, right?) Can the doc shave some of it off?
    Proximal likes this.

I started doing much of my shoulder work seated. I just try to barely touch the back of my head to the back of the cushion so I don't go to far either way. I think it might train me to keep my head in a neutral position. It also requires some adjustment in my back as to how the weights are lifted. I feel a little difference as far as which muscles are used.

Glad to hear it is arthritis rather than a disc (I think, ...it sounds better, right?) Can the doc shave some of it off?
    I'm sorry, so was that an adjustment that you made? Did it help?

Surgery wise, yes they can remove part of the vertebra to allow more room. Just knowing that it's arthritis makes me feel better. I'd actually would be shocked if any MRI findings of my spine would show anything different, it's simply to be expected after so much usage.

Is school going well?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2218.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	175758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2218.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	175758Little too much wine, nice Valentines Day dinner & watched Pulp Fiction (very romantic). Reflection from the kitchen window. Ready to take the next step.

Pretty happy with this start. 8 weeks in, using TRT at 200 & Sermorelin. LGD added for past 3 weeks. Started around 205 with at least 20% bf. Now at 202 & my eye is telling me around 15 -16. Plus, diet is steadily adding more calories & carbs. First time in 3 years. I think my body is adjusting & ready for this new phase. The pic is not post workout, but taken last night after drinking a botttle of wine & eating Thai food in front of the tv. Think I'll take the next one with a pump.

Left arm (left on pic as well) is the missing long head, that arm used to be much larger than the right, still pissed, but thats life.

Who knew the products they sell here are so good! Have been using their var for one week now & liked it so much went ahead and ordered their clen . After that I will try some of their growth hormone product (figured it will be better than my Sermorelin). Also think I'll try their Dbol as a preworkout.

Was thinking of adding insulin , but wanted to do it pre & post workout & don't want needles at school. I will go that route this Summer .

So I'm thinking - considering this beat up 60 year old scrawny fuck whose never used anything besides TRT, might be doing some growing this year. Oh yeah, still drinking one bottle of wine every night. For shits & giggles might try to cut that back some time, but maybe fuck it, life is very good with it, YOLO baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2215.jpg  
    Last edited by Proximal; 02-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    balance likes this.

balance is offline Associate Member
    Looking good Prox!
    Keep up the awesome work and attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proximal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    Looking good Prox!
    Keep up the awesome work and attitude.

TY buddy! How the hell are you?
    balance likes this.

balance is offline Associate Member
    Doing good just lifting away

KennyJ and Proximal like this.

Awesome buddy!

Damn, I am feeling it again. Catching whatever is going around, but still beat the crap out of my biceps yesterday & triceps today. Nice pumps, weights are going up. The only pressing I can do is close gripped bench & almost hit a PB today.

Scale says 204, but it looks likes its adding on to the right places. I forgot how much fun it is to eat.
    balance and KennyJ like this.

Oh hell yes, this is fun!

Still sick, but dragged my ass to the gym for back & finish with high rep biceps. On the rowing machine & my PB is second from last plate for 4 reps. Today, did the whole stack for 3 WS of 8 then did a triple drop back up the stack.

Being patient, just starting this phase which should be fat loss & gains of lean muscle only. What a cool concept, eating more & losing fat. Real fun should begin when adding more compounds in about 3-4 weeks.

Daily breakfast of eggs, chicken & veggies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2225.jpg  
    Last edited by Proximal; 02-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    balance, tarmyg and KennyJ like this.

A little hiccup. Sick last weekend, so missed some training & ate less, but back at it. 2 solid workouts in a row, eating normally again, thinking I'm over this bug. Don't want to jinx it, but think my mid-back issue is completely resolved.

Back felt pumped all day, plus sprouting new veins.

Tipping my hat to Cowboy Mike & his daily gratitude items. With his permission, I'm adding mine.

Thankful for this rebirth in desire & drive. I've worked for & enjoyed a good life. At 60 I'm seeing friends dying & my mortality invades my thoughts from time to time. I'm ready when the time comes and feel so blessed that I can do what I'm doing right now.

The sickness is rising.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information