Ir0n is offline Associate Member

Question New workout - opinions needed

Hi, took 4 days off the gym and decided to swap around and renew most of my exercises.

Can you guys look at it now and let me know what you think.
    What would you include or what are the better alternatives to some exercises.

Schedule: 2 days in the gym, 1 off

day 1
    Flat Bench Press - 8-10 Reps
    Incline Dumbell Press - 8-10 Reps
    Dips (leaning Foward) Or Flat Flyes - 8-10 Reps
    Close-grip Bench Press - 8-10 Reps
    Skull Crushers - 8-10 Reps

day2
    Bent Over Barbell Rows - 8-10 Reps
    Shoulder Width Pullups - 8-10 Reps
    Deadlifts - 8-10 Reps
    Barbell Curls - 8-10 Reps
    Hammer Curls - 8-10 Reps

day 3
    Squats - 8-10 Reps
    Lunges - 8-10 Reps
    Hack Squats - 8-10 Reps
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 8-10 Reps
    Weighted Single Leg Calf Raise - 8-10 Reps

day 4
    Military Press - 8-10 Reps
    Lateral Raises - 8-10 Reps
    Bent Over Lateral Raises - 8-10 Reps
    Upright Rows - 8-10 Reps
    Shrugs - 8-10 Reps

Please let me know what you think, and which day would be your choose to include some abs work at the end?

Thanks

forgot to add, it's 3 sets of each.

Godson is offline Associate Member
    i would do
    day 1 - Chest/ Tri
    day 2 - Legs
    day 3 - shoulders/ Traps
    day 4 = back/ bi

you have a good split there, but i wouldnt do chest/tri day 1 , then bi/back day 2 ... i feel like your bi/back will suffer because chest is such an intense work out you know what i mean ??

and YES abs at the end of every workout , most people including people who work out seriously.. just tend to skip over abs.. i mean its a huge part of your body, people just simply don't do them and i have no idea why..

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson
    i would do
    day 1 - Chest/ Tri
    day 2 - Legs
    day 3 - shoulders/ Traps
    day 4 = back/ bi

you have a good split there, but i wouldnt do chest/tri day 1 , then bi/back day 2 ... i feel like your bi/back will suffer because chest is such an intense work out you know what i mean ??

and YES abs at the end of every workout , most people including people who work out seriously.. just tend to skip over abs.. i mean its a huge part of your body, people just simply don't do them and i have no idea why..
    Four straight days with no break will tax the hell outta the CNS. You need to allow proper recovery of your nervous system or you will begin to overtrain.

Also, I doubt that two days between your chest and shoulder workout will be sufficient time to recover your front delts for your shoulder workout.

Training the traps, and then the next day doing back -- I guess it depends on what your doing during your workouts but I usually deadlift during my back day and you gotta have fresh traps for that. But even if your not deadlifting, your traps are a lot larger of a muscle group than most realize and are highly used during many back contractions.

Abs everyday...Maybe everyother at the very most...I always like to rotate high rep/low weight with low rep/high weight workouts for my abs. I try to get one of each per week, but dont spend a lot of time on them. If you are performing squats, deads, and other excercises that require core attention then you really do not need much isolation outside of that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson
    i would do
    day 1 - Chest/ Tri
    day 2 - Legs
    day 3 - shoulders/ Traps
    day 4 = back/ bi

you have a good split there, but i wouldn’t do chest/tri day 1 , then bi/back day 2 ... i feel like your bi/back will suffer because chest is such an intense work out you know what i mean ??

Good point, I might as well go with this just swap your day 3 with 4, as BWhitaker said i might need traps for back/deadlift day. and do 2days in 1 day off. Should be enough for recovery.

As for abs I just never find time... I try to get out after an hour, just heard that more is just not good (you egsost your muscles and CNS too much when you go over). So i might include abs before my day off.

And what about cardio, should i include it once in a while if i'm going for bulk (natural). I just think that day off is just too precious and you have to have your rest full time than working out some muscles on intense cardio.

What do you guys think?

Godson is offline Associate Member
    yea i forgot to tell you not to do 4 days straight, i meant to throw in a rest day in between day2 and day 3...i just don't like the idea of working out chest then going to back/bi the next day...

im a big fan of abs, so lately there strong enough to do every day that i lift....i was told it was one of those muscles you can workout everyday, abs and calves...
    i believe personally even though your bulking you want to do SOME cardio, some people are against it ....because you'll just have to eat more calories...
    bulking diet can be difficult...but cardio is great all the way around...

i posted a forum about cardio before or after workouts..
    most people sugguested on your day off , but i cant do that
    so after is the best time...takes alot of stamina to lift heavy then jog even for a little bit...but if i were you , yea leave that day off for a complete day off...you need that

So far so good. But man that leg routine is a killer. IT didn't change that much but body knows better. Legs are still stiff after 2 days... Got sick in the gym as well . Had to sit down for 5 mins but then I ran to the bathroom like a lightning.... and lost my morning oats and eggs.. glad nobody saw me... would have probably though that clown goes to the gym after few beers considering the way you walk after squats....

Perforator is offline Junior Member
    I just finished a split similar to that one IrOn. Mine went like this...

Mon - Chest, Tri's
    Tues - Legs, Calves
    Wed - Off
    Thurs - Back, Bi's
    Fri - Shoulders, Traps, Calves

I don't work back before legs, my lower back will interfere with squats.

Thread Information