Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gym etiquette

Tjohn6231 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman01 View Post
    I think I have finally scared off the idiots so they leave me alone. I am in a pretty commercial gym (one squat rack, one bench, yea...... ). I have seen two other people ever dead there. One person squat to parallel. I squat ATG and used to always have dorks walk up and tell me how its going to blow my knee's out.

Anyway, my last "conversation" that I think finally stopped people from bothering me went like this:

(I was deadlifting for 5x5 and I am NOT very loud at all. I touch down at every rep but do not slam them.)

Randomdouche_01: Hey, do you mind keeping it down?
    Me: (pauses ipod so I can clearly hear said douche) What was that?
    Randomdouche_01: (rolls eyes) I said, can you keep it down?
    Me: Are you trying to study?
    Randomdouche_01: What?
    Me: I said, are you trying to study? Because the ****ing library is down the street. This is a gym. (Turn my ipod back on and continue with my routine).

I am as polite of a guy as you can find in the gym, but idiots who don't know that a gym is to workout, and that working out is not always quiet, piss me off.
    Thats funny as hell. I bet that douche never looked at you again.
    To the OP. Ive only been back into training for about 6 months, and I already lift heavier than most of the idiots in my gym. We have about 10 guys like me, and the rest are part timers. I havent had any complaints yet, but Ive had to drop dumbells at times. Its not a big deal as long as you dont make a habit of it. Just keep an eye out for that dude. He must have little man syndrome or something.

elitepeptides is offline Junior Member
    I just think that it's rude to boisterously yell your buddy on as he presses. I'm not talking within earshot only of the guy on bench for example, but those guys who are boisterous. Who you hear twenty feet away - STFU. Also sweat needs to be wiped - no if and or buts.

The oddest mannerism I experienced actually was yesterday, when a guy with a basketball walked up to the second story, and immediately does cross overs with the ball - regardless of people walking along his path to the court door. Somehow everybody stops what they are headed for and look at him in compliance - not wanting to screw up his crossovers and let him pass on to the basketball court, which held up at least 5 people. What the **** is that kind of conduct about? Next time I'm reporting his over-confident-ass to the manager.

Dropping weights happens, but if it's intentional - you're a douche. Lower your weight a few pounds Einstein.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    agree or disagree... letting the weight go at half way down is not the right thing to do no matter what...

them yelling at you has some just cause, specially if you on the second floor.

but, some attitude from instructors is not really called for

imho - i believe controlling the weight is up and down... i dead lift 495lbs, 515 lbs... i set it down hard but def not letting it go half way...

two of the gyms i work out at r on second floor

ancientgr is offline Junior Member
    I am one of those guys that puts their weights back and wipes down the machines/pads after i am done. that is how i have been taught and that is how i will keep doing it. once in a while, someone will actually compliment me on it. pisses me off seeing people do 1 set 1 rep of 225 or 315 on the squat or bench (mind you only going down like 4-6") and then leave the weights there and without wiping their non-existent sweat.

Not sure how much of a difference setting down and dropping ~500lbs on a deadlift. its freaking 500lbs and it is going to make some noise. metal plates, especially if they aren't safety fastened with those metal coils (can't remember what they are called right now), will make even more noise as they rattle amongst themselves. If you try to control it and make some noise once in a while, b/c you're going to failure, that is fine with me. i don't think it is right if you do it all the time, on every set.

throwing dumbells is unacceptable. only if i am flat benching dumbells, will i drop them but they don't roll and it is under control.

my buddy uses chalk at the gym. he does over do it a bit, but one day a "trainer" (which is another issue i have) tells him he's not allowed to use chalk or his membership would be suspended. i don't see the major issue there. i do know which bars he has used, even days after. haha.

i am at a commercial gym where 50% are rare gym users, 40% are their to keep in shape and 10% of us are there to grow. it is a good mix, when it isn't crazy busy.

StairRoyd is offline New Member
    I say as long as you're not breaking shit... have at it.

Tell the manager to **** off and switch gyms

Johnny Sinn is offline Associate Member
    I have to be honest. I bang a little on deadlifts. But with dumbells I always have one person take one when I am done. I use in excess of the 130's plus it ruins them. I either bring them to my knees and have take from there unless I have one on each side to take both.

CJG560 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop77 View Post
    ... I think guys that slam the weights around are just wanting attention anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I have seen the biggest guys in the gym gently put down 150 DB's after pressing til failure. It's usually the novice grunting with the 80's who feels the need to toss them on the ground putting a nice bend in the handle so they are out of balance for everyone else.
    Amen x2!

jfalco is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    agree or disagree... letting the weight go at half way down is not the right thing to do no matter what...

them yelling at you has some just cause, specially if you on the second floor.

but, some attitude from instructors is not really called for

imho - i believe controlling the weight is up and down... i dead lift 495lbs, 515 lbs... i set it down hard but def not letting it go half way...

two of the gyms i work out at r on second floor
    Agree 100%. If you just lift the weight once then drop it halfway down, you're not maxing out, your exceeding your max. In this case the gym manager is 100% correct IMO. Maybe you can try and fail to do the lift once or twice, but four times in a row is just stupid. After twice, it's time to accept that you can't do the lift. I think it is completely ridiculous to drop the weight half way down. Dropping 190 kg from a foot or more off the floor is not reasonable. The noise must be thunderous. If it happens once, fine it was an accident. If you do the same thing repeatedly you are being a jerk.

JesteRML is offline New Member
    Hey Learn... just a warning most dead lift injuries are caused on the decline... and dropping it half way is horrible for ur back. especially if its ur max. I'd say either drop it at the top or controlled all the way down... no in between because the shock to ur back could easily pull a muscle or do some damage to ur spine. just IMO

kickinit is offline Member
    Quite a few jackhole replies on here.

1. I agree throwing the weights, dropping just to seem cool, doing standing curls and dropping them on the floor instead of laying them on the bench in front of you ALL makes me want to beat some ass.

2. I have dropped some weights after doing flies, dumbell press (but im not going to try and let it down slowly and rip my shoulder due to irregular movement), also I have a bad back so Im not even going to pretend to sit back up with the weight. If not dropping the weight intails me hurting myself then IT WILL BE DROPPED!

That all be said there is no 1 way thats ok, we don't all have spotters, or crowded gyms, but you should try and conform to the gym and its rules best that you can, if not CHANGE GYMs.

I'm a big believer in limiting of the grunting by the little girls(punks), people leaving a ton of plates on the ground, dropping weights to seem tough, and bitches that think Benchs for exercises are somehow STEPS for doing STEP AEROBICS!

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JesteRML View Post
    Hey Learn... just a warning most dead lift injuries are caused on the decline... and dropping it half way is horrible for ur back. especially if its ur max. I'd say either drop it at the top or controlled all the way down... no in between because the shock to ur back could easily pull a muscle or do some damage to ur spine. just IMO
    Excellent advice.

Eviluncle is offline New Member
    I could put up with being told off for dropping weights or excesive grunting but i did change gyms about nine months ago after being told off by some teeny bopper employee half my age for counting while benching

NS
    NS is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I have seen the biggest guys in the gym gently put down 150 DB's after pressing til failure. It's usually the novice grunting with the 80's who feels the need to toss them on the ground putting a nice bend in the handle so they are out of balance for everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    That's the truth right there!!! If you can't handle the weight on the way down, then you shouldn't be using it imo
    yup, these guys are on the mark. you should have the strength and power to control the weight all the way back down to the floor. Not being a ***** and dropping it.

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    I constantly fart in the gym, usually it stinks BAD but people have learnt to live with it somehow. I always try and put my weighs back, i try not to make too much unwanted noise in the gym, i respect people and they respect me.

Okinawa_Power is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    That's the truth right there!!! If you can't handle the weight on the way down, then you shouldn't be using it imo
    Your kidding right?? When I get done with 140's and I have maxed out at 10 reps I just drop the weights on the ground from the down position......If you still have the power to still lay the weights down gently then you are a ***** and you need to do more reps...

Okinawa_Power is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Quite a few jackhole replies on here.

1. I agree throwing the weights, dropping just to seem cool, doing standing curls and dropping them on the floor instead of laying them on the bench in front of you ALL makes me want to beat some ass.

2. I have dropped some weights after doing flies, dumbell press (but im not going to try and let it down slowly and rip my shoulder due to irregular movement), also I have a bad back so Im not even going to pretend to sit back up with the weight. If not dropping the weight intails me hurting myself then IT WILL BE DROPPED!

That all be said there is no 1 way thats ok, we don't all have spotters, or crowded gyms, but you should try and conform to the gym and its rules best that you can, if not CHANGE GYMs.

I'm a big believer in limiting of the grunting by the little girls(punks), people leaving a ton of plates on the ground, dropping weights to seem tough, and bitches that think Benchs for exercises are somehow STEPS for doing STEP AEROBICS!
    I agree with you brother......I just love when people are doing bi's and they use a ****ing bench to place their 20lb weights on and they also like to do drop sets from 20lbs down to 5lbs all while using the bench as a ****ing rack......

Brother iron is offline New Member
    Get a real gym unstead of a fitness center. i hate those places where everyone is wearing gel in there hair to workout. you should be able to drop the weight from time to time.

MANIMAL55 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okinawa_Power;4***687
    Your kidding right?? When I get done with 140's and I have maxed out at 10 reps I just drop the weights on the ground from the down position......If you still have the power to still lay the weights down gently then you are a ***** and you need to do more reps...

I agree, if you push it to the max, sometimes you just gotta let go. don't be a D*** about it, but its either ripping muscles or dropping weights...you decide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information