Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member

help with 13 yo fatty

in a nutshell......my 13 yo grandson is moving in. he is 5' 9" and 221lbs. my wife went buy his school clothes and the pants size were 44. we both talked to him and he says he is ready to trim up. i was figuring to cut his food intake.... no pops and no sugar! and brown bread and rice. he is coming to the gym with me today, he cant come in the weight or sona area, but i will have him on the track and basketball court. and i will get his butt outside and away from the computer games. any suggestions would help.....thanks

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    play sum b ball with him,...have him walk on the treadmill on a slight incline...and have him try the eliptical machine..

i wouldnt recommend him lift any weighs...a father brought in his 11 year old last thursday and the kid dropd the bar and his face and broke his nose and suffered sum trauma to his head...very poor judgement by that father

but your very smart to get him to exercise now...it will save him alot in his upcoming years!

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    Good for you man, I was a little fatass when I was around 13 also, no where near his size, but chubby. my mom (who dosnt know anything about diet)) just explained to me, if i just cut back on the juices and heavy snacks, i'd loose weight. seemed easy comming from her, so I did, and boom i droped like 20 lbs just by cutting out apple juice (I drank that shit like it was water) and the potato chips

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    yup...alot of times u body just needs to catch up but cant cuz your packin it with so much junk at a time....especially when u were little...i was a husky lil bastard too, come 8th grade..i said, **** it..im using this husky to get a nice like bulk goin on,,, joined boxing, started lifting, and i had A EXCELLENT HIGHSCHOOL to COLLEGE years with the ladies and gym!

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    get him out doing some fun sporting activity he likes in the AM on empty stomach. Offer him a cheat meal that he likes (fave restaraunt ect) if he can lose like 1-2 pounds that week or just as a reward for training and eating good.

suckysucky is offline Associate Member
    Yea, i know what your saying i do not see any kids out in the streets playing wiffle ball or hockey like me and my friends use to live off of. I dont want to tell you how to do your job cause i dont have kids myself, but it can be a very sensative subject for him. Just watch what you say as he might take it offensively and be total turned off to you and a new lifestyle. Also, do not keep telling him that he needs to lose weihgt, just make sure he gets the point. JMO. Take care, good luck

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    use positive reinforcement rather than negative...rewards, not punishment...don't berate him too much if he initially doesnt have the willpower and drive.... start slow, ease him in to it

I know too cuz I was obese till the age of 15...all my relatives used to berate me for being fat and all I did was rebel, tune out and eat even more..until one day my dad took me to this health retreat in the mountains for a week. I had great fun going on hikes, going to nutrition classes, eating healthy and loosing 8 lbs in a week! I was so psyched by the time I got back to civilization, I continued dieting (& starting gym) until I lost another 45 lbs!

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    The title cracks me up

If he has any kind of athletic ability with sports he should be playing them. But if he's going to go out with the other 13 year olds and not be able to contribute to any kind of activity everyone will probably be an ass to him. So if that's the case just start walking! Speed walk around your street/neighborhood. Strenth training is probably a little early but doing things with just his own body weight it's not early at all. Pushups, situps, non-weighted squats and other things like that. Obviously the key is diet in the long run.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    my 17 yr old niece is with us also...

I've already raised 2 to adulthood....

the trick i find is they will tell you anything they think you want to hear.. but no one likes change... thus to get them to change, you must be a model for them to follow.. (which it sounds like you have and do)..

just be the friend..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    recomendation is to find an activity the kid like and d it with him. maybe bball, foot ball karate etc etc, anything that keep him out of the house, also dontlet the kid snack on junk between meals and you have to gauge what he eats for meals. i started lifting light wheni was 13yo , and i loved it, maybe buy the kid a set of weider weights so you can help him workout a little at home, he may enjoy that, try a bunch of activiteis and see what works

also, i was a tubby little bastardat that age, my parents would never by junk food, so what i would do ,about every day,was take my allowance money, ride my bike to a pharmacy, and buy a 2 liter of coke and severl reeses peanut butter cups and go to town. my paretns found out took away my cahs and than i couldnt buy junk on my own, in one summer i grew a few inches and lost the weight too

thanks for the help. its been a week and he is dropping weight. he went from 221 to 216. just cut out the junk food and snacks. at the gym, he stays active for 2 hrs....basket ball, bike, walking and biking. today had him run the confidence course....he couldnt do the strength obstacles but he climbed and crawled ok....he is enjoying hanging out with pa pa and tomorrow we going fishing.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Honestly it starts at home man.. Cut out the dessert,fruit juices etc. but i think your doing the right things glad to see the progress.

GUnit33 is offline Member
    If he's 13, he's ready for football. I'd get him on the D-Line. A kid that size would be a destroyer if he continues to get taller. What's his father's/mother's heights like. If you can get him down to a respectable weight, and than when he turns 14-15, get him in the weight room. Tell him he has the world to him, and it'll motivate him. That's what my father did to me, and I turned into an all state football/basketball player. Not much after that, but still, it got me to work hard.

update...actually he is 12, my bad....hes been living with me and the wife since mid august......he weighed in at 216 for the official football weigh in. here is his pic today after winning the season opening jamboree. he starts at right tackle and second team defensive tackle. he works out almost every day. sure is making me proud. that is my daughter in the pic with him
    Last edited by wascaptain5214; 06-14-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    update...actually he is 12, my bad....hes been living with me and the wife since mid august......he weighed in at 216 for the official football weigh in. here is his pic today after winning the season opening jamboree. he starts at right tackle and second team defensive tackle. he works out almost every day. sure is making me proud. that is my daughter in the pic with him

Looks like a nice kid, i would have him doing cardio at the gym and lifting weights at home if he is unable to enter the weight room. To put a positive spin on it for him, tell him that this will help him kick ass out on the field and he could even move into another position ( a better position would be a way of saying it) on the team when he is slimmer and faster etc..

I am sure it will work out, if he lives with you now, more than likely your way of life will rub off on him.
    ***No source checks!!!***

update....its been a long football season and we had 2 post play off games and a allstar game. mikes been working hard. and hes weighing in at 210...and has dropped 2 pants sizes..........he started as left guard and did the deep snap for the all star game.....beat a team out of houston....14-6 cant post pic...will try later

heres mike before last game of season. hes gonna play basketball next....power forward....what ever position is that......i dont know basketball......also he has a chess tourney next week.......i coach him with that also
    Last edited by wascaptain5214; 06-14-2008 at 04:39 AM.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    good job man im glad its working out for you all. You must be very proud.

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    give him some TNE and Dbol .LOL no im kidding, I wish i would have had some body to push me when I was younger

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    get him to join a sporting club e.g. soccer he'll do training 2-3 times a week plus a game.. he'll have lots of fun. and meet new people..

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    wish him good luck for me also

about 3 weeks of basketball left and in 2nd place.....mike starts at forward, he owns the paint on defense!!!!sets a great pick and rebounds, he is avg 6 points a game. he is getting quicker and more quarantined. his foot work is really improving with the basketball drills. got to admit hes got a good coach that knows the game..i didnt even know they had plays in basketball...mike is no longer living with us, for now anyway. ....he cant bench his weight, but can dead lift it for reps....in the pic, i told him to show off his guns
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with 13 yo fatty-mike-granny.jpg  

pwerfll1 is offline Banned
    nice job , keep him on the right track

4 weeks into baseball......2 weeks into football try outs. footballs been from 230 till 4 (conditioning) then to baseball games or practice. friday i gave mike a day off from school, i declared it NATIONAL WORK OUT DAY. we had a good morning at the gym.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with 13 yo fatty-ball.jpg  

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    4 weeks into baseball......2 weeks into football try outs. footballs been from 230 till 4 (conditioning) then to baseball games or practice. friday i gave mike a day off from school, i declared it NATIONAL WORK OUT DAY. we had a good morning at the gym.

Keep it going man because whatever he is doing is working for him. Nice and slow, and best of all it sounds like he is having fun with it all.

This will most likely have a profound affect on him in a positive way and he could live a real active lifestyle for years to come.

Keep us updated..this is great!
    ***No source checks!!!***

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    congratualtions on helping out your son. he has made great improvements and at his age, it will help him in many facets of life (not just physically but mentally and socially as well...)

Idunno is offline Banned
    I have to express my intense envy for your grandson's position!! I wish I had half teh support and guidance you have given him!!!! Great job getting him off his arse and into a more healthy, active lifestyle that will pay dividends for years to come, even if he doesn't play college or pro ball.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! He will thank you one day... you've given him the best gift anyone could ask for... self-confidence

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I would look into a wrestling program. It will compliment his football very well. Also it will really help with his weight, just a thought.

update....mike made all star in baseball, but the team lost out in the first week end tourny. nows its 3 weeks into football. all is going well and again i got a position as a assistant coach(for free). the team he is playing for, has been league champs for the last 7 years and the feeder high school team is freakin great. thats where k.faulk played. by the way my wife teaches there and taught faulk....said he was dumb as a rock, but no trouble

K.Biz is offline Banned
    Wow man nice job, and tell him great job as well. You can definetly tell he is losing weight, ecspecially in his face. keep up the good work man, I wish i had someone like you tp push me when i was around that age, i cant imagine what I would be like now.

RobbieG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wascaptain5214
    in a nutshell......my 13 yo grandson is moving in. he is 5' 9" and 221lbs. my wife went buy his school clothes and the pants size were 44. we both talked to him and he says he is ready to trim up. i was figuring to cut his food intake.... no pops and no sugar! and brown bread and rice. he is coming to the gym with me today, he cant come in the weight or sona area, but i will have him on the track and basketball court. and i will get his butt outside and away from the computer games. any suggestions would help.....thanks

Computer games are actually slimming.

= the more addictive they are, the less time you eat.

I was a cs and q3 player, played in national league ..

it´s not the game/computer that is unhealthy, it´s the food the "guys" eat around you.

come on, is someone gonna tell me that 3 hours on this forums is "healthier" that 3 hours playind some videogame ?

come on, the problem is OBVIOUSLY the diet.

amazing how the human blame something else than the real problem.

but I like what you are gonna do, cut the sugar and the shit from his diet.

When I played maby 4-5 days straight, I ate like a horse.

I ate mostly watermelons, peaches and pears, once I ate 30 lbs of pears on a weekend... no other food..

why ? because eating pears takes less than 5..

and he wont go out to buy fruits, by them yourself and store them in the fridge.. he'll rather nab that instead of going to donalds .. thus wasting precious gaming time.

just my 2 cents.

kids used to call him fat mike......nows its big mike. mike is doing well, works out and doing good in school. heres a pic from last nights home opener. he starts at center and is the only 7th grader to start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with 13 yo fatty-baseball-332.jpg  

Mr Tick is offline Associate Member
    Great job man. I wish someone would of gotten me into stuff like that when i was his age. I was the skinny kid. Whats he weigh now?

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    Cap will you be my gramps? Growing up mine just yelled at me and woudl get drunk and yell at me some more. Oh ya, once when he was over at the house he got drunk and pissed at my mom and insisted on telling everyone there that I was an accident baby.

Blog Entries
    Wow, remember posting of this thread forever ago.

Anyhow, thanx for the update....glad to see things are working out great with him! A little encouragement really does go a long way!

cheers

football is over, 6-1 season ended up co-parish champs. next is track and field in a couple of months. will hit the gym hard and get more cardio in till then. went bought a shot put and discus for him to get in some training. a bro at my gym is a current world record holder in bench and squat(60year old) and holds state record in shot put, he wants to work with mike on wensday afternoons. all three of us are fired up about it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with 13 yo fatty-mike-52.jpg  

Diamonite is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    my 17 yr old niece is with us also...

I've already raised 2 to adulthood....

the trick i find is they will tell you anything they think you want to hear.. but no one likes change... thus to get them to change, you must be a model for them to follow.. (which it sounds like you have and do)..

just be the friend..

wise wise man.

tell big mike congrats on his hardwork. and congrats to you for putting all the effort in.

nice story. glad to

brianfantana is offline Junior Member
    wow, inspiring - i wish i had someone to help me like that when i was fat and 13, it took me until 16 to do anything! Best of luck!

Ritchie258 is offline New Member
    Why not have him try boxing? the work outs for him at his age will be very good and intense for somebody of this age, they encourage cardio and also he might like hitting the bag, would help him lose weight greatly, Good luck with the kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information