Jonesyy is offline Junior Member

Have I Messed Up Somewhere?

Hey guys, just need a little advise here.

I've been training for year now and my chest day has always been ok. I've got the technique down and put on size normally tbh.

I've had a problem for a few months now, and today I really got back into the gym and it's still happening.

Chest Day I start with flat Bench Press (dumbells one week, bench the other).
    I then do incline bench and cable flys. To finish I'll do a few sets of pushups.

My problem is I run out of energy after one set nowadays. I can do my 6-8rep max the first time, but the second time I can't even do the first rep (although I would be able to do the rest, first ones always hardest). If I have a spotter to help me with the first I'll be able to do about 1 rep less and then after that 2 reps or so max. I don't get it.

It also feels like my shoulder are getting a better workout and are really weak, so maybe the secondary muscles have just fallen too far behind?

Is it linked to my diet? My old diet was shocking when it started, but I've fixed it recently and this was my first day on it. Hope it restores my strength but I felt so weak today!

sergio.x is offline Junior Member
    Yeah its directly linked to your diet. Pre workout meal needs to have some complex carbs and some protein. I had the same problem before but I workout in the mornings now. I have a cup of oats, and a protein shake and I'm good to go.

gthom47 is offline Associate Member
    it could also be an overtraining issue. you could be overtrained and your body is reacting to that plus the new diet. how long has it been since u took a deload week to give ur body a little rest?

Quote Originally Posted by gthom47 View Post
    it could also be an overtraining issue. you could be overtrained and your body is reacting to that plus the new diet. how long has it been since u took a deload week to give ur body a little rest?
    To put it this way I have never heard of one until now. I personally just think my shoulders are behind my shoulders so much that they're getting more out of it than my chest lol. Hopefully it will catch up.

gthom47 is offline Associate Member
    well overtraining is a very common thing. i never used to do a deload week until i started the 5/3/1 program that has you take one every 4 weeks. it really helps. basically you take a week where you work with like 70% of what weight you were working with and lift so your body does get some work, but not enough to really strain the muscle. taking a deload week can really help rest your muscles and get back to an area of training where your body isnt overworked.

Thanks for the help gthom47. Can tell I wrote that reply early by the way (7am) as some of it is difficult to understand lol.

My shoulders have always been weak, and prone to injury but I really feel that they are holding back and limiting my chests potential. I do not think there is much I can really do about it however, I just train my shoulders at about 80% all the time. It is better than injuring them. Also my second problem with them is that even when doing chest, after the first exercise my arms feel literally dead and much weaker. It is annoying.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How long was the last break that you took? This happened to me when I first got back to weight training after a long time off. I assumed it was stamina related issue so I just pushed through it and dropped the weight down if I needed for the following sets. After a few weeks of being back into into it my stamina/endurance got back to where it should have been. I can't be for certain but I may have also upped my carb intake for my pre-workout meal. However, I think it was more of re-training my muscles to "go the distance" that paid off for me.

If you haven't been away from lifting for a while then I agree with the guys above. Start bumping your carbs 45min or so before your training session and see if that helps.

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    its could be down to your diet im assuming.

Theres also a few post work out supplements that help provide energy for your workouts

Thread Information