Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spumps
  • 1 Post By Spumps

Thread: How do you like to change workout on cycle/off cycle?

DinAZ is offline Associate Member

How do you like to change workout on cycle/off cycle?

Anyone have any workout programs they like to use off-cycle? I start work in August and my cycle will end in September so I’m going to have to modify my workout schedule.

I’m doing PPLx2 right now about 6 days most weeks and 5 at the least. Off cycle I’m thinking of going to PPLx1 but I want to look at other options.

Anyone have any workout programs they like off cycle?
    Last edited by DinAZ; 07-22-2021 at 07:33 PM.

I’ve been reading the HIT dungeon and am thinking I could also get away from PPL.

Maybe follow a 3-4 day per week HIT program that hits all the major compound movements but with less extra supplementary lifts? Maybe go from sets of 4x12 to 5x10 or failure?

Spumps is offline New Member
    My experience has been a little different than those of the majority on this one. Supplementary lifts are essential for me! My arms blew up when I started doing direct arm work. My shoulders blew up when I started doing cable laterals.

Folks back then swore that deadlifts were all you needed for a great back. We all know that isn't true now. If your program doesn't have accessory lifts or only has very few of them, you are truly missing out.
    DinAZ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spumps View Post
    My experience has been a little different than those of the majority on this one. Supplementary lifts are essential for me! My arms blew up when I started doing direct arm work. My shoulders blew up when I started doing cable laterals.

Folks back then swore that deadlifts were all you needed for a great back. We all know that isn't true now. If your program doesn't have accessory lifts or only has very few of them, you are truly missing out.
    Yeah I have noticed that doing some of the accessory lifts I didn’t do when I was younger has helped a lot. So I think I will try to keep all the same lifts like you are saying but possibly cut down on gym trips if work is busy. Maybe something like 3-4 gym trips and 1-2 home days instead of 4-5 gym trips with 1-2 home DB days. And each week I can alternate what muscles I train at home so nothing gets neglected by only getting DBs every week.

Spumps is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post
    Yeah I have noticed that doing some of the accessory lifts I didn’t do when I was younger has helped a lot. So I think I will try to keep all the same lifts like you are saying but possibly cut down on gym trips if work is busy. Maybe something like 3-4 gym trips and 1-2 home days instead of 4-5 gym trips with 1-2 home DB days. And each week I can alternate what muscles I train at home so nothing gets neglected by only getting DBs every week.
    Sounds like a good plan. Even if you alternate I still suggest you do it in a methodical way. Maybe plan your workouts in 5-6 week blocks. That way you'd know what exact muscles you'll be working in the gym and which ones you'd be training at home on a given week. Also, being methodical feels good and keeps you motivated.
    DinAZ likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I personally don't change my workout when I'm on cycle vs off. I probably can do a little more weight on cycle, but I can't do as many reps because I get cramps and painful muscle pumps. Honestly, though, I don't go for weight anymore. I still do heavy, compared to an average gym guy, but weight I can move around 15 times.

I do 2 body parts per day, 2 exercises per body part, usually. I go by instinct and what is sore and what isn't sore. I'm not trying to be Ronnie Coleman, and my joint health is important to me now, so I don't go crazy.

Thread Information