Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

Preparing a complaint against Ballys

I'm not sure what and how I'm going to pursue this problem and the point of this post is to put out a "feeler" for suggestions and responses. Consumer complaints against Bally's seems common at least that's what I hear with consumer affairs. There are gays screwing in the men's locker room (I've once seen two guys jerking off and watching each other in front of a locker at Lakegrove Ballys in New York. No kidding.) They don't have proper ventilation in the cardio area either.

Anyway, this is what happened. On Sat, I entered ballys at 7:30 and the gym closes at 8:00. A manager there, a female who looks about eighteen years old, tells me that they are closing at 8:00 and she's sorry but she can't let me in. I say, the bottom line is that closing time is at 8:00 and I'll leave before that time. She says, "sorry, I can't let you in." I say, I've paid to use these fascilities during operating hours so you do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do. Sorry, nothing personal." Then I walked in and had a great arm blast. I simply ignored her and did my thing.

I felt angry though and I decided to follow up on it so I called a different ballys and asked a manager there if there was a closed door policy one half hour before closing time. She said that there wasn't. I called another Bally's to confirm that. Then I even called corporate headquarters and they said the same thing. Apparently this manager was acting presumptuous and creating her own rules and for me, that's a problem that I'm not going to let it slide.

What I want is very clear: I want an explanation as to how she was justified telling me I couldn't enter the gym a half hour before closing when there's no such rule. So I'm going to go there and meet with her (with a third party present to protect myself from the possibility of slander) and I'm going to make a request for a satisfactory explanation that justifies her action. I'll tell her, if she can't provide one I'll call corporate headquarters and get one from them. I'll keep calling until someone gives me an explanation that justifies her action. If I don't get what I want, I'll file a complaint with consumer affairs (I'm going to tell all Bally's employees that this is my intention).

Now, this may all sound crazy to you, like, why is this guy making a big deal out of such a trivial incident. Here's why. I simply feel like I was singled out by this person and she made herself into an obstacle. As a manager, she represents Ballys corp. so my issue is with Ballys corp.

Why would a manager do such a thing? She's just a kid and I get the feeling she has too much time on her hands and she's trying to use me to create sensation. One day she looked over and smiled at me and I didn't return the smile because I don't feel friendly when I'm training and I choose to keep to myself in the gym. I'm entitled to make that choice and if a manager doesn't like it that should be her problem not mine. The problem is, she's trying to make it my problem. When I walk by she seems to make a point of staring through me. It's a curious thing but I was indifferent to it because it doesn't create an obstacle for me. But telling a paying member that he can't enter a gym during biz hours? Now we have a problem and problems are meant to be fixed. Again, it may sound too trivial for the follow up but I'm going to take care of this purely out of principle. Any reactions or suggestions?

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    I personally think Bally's sucks. My girlfriend goes there and complains all the time. I tell her to join somewhere else but she has a lifetime membership, whatever that is. I heard they filed for bankruptcy recently and filing a complaint will be a waste of your time and yield nothing. I suggest you go in there at 7:30 every night and at 7:59 load up the leg press w/45lb plates and then leave. They will be cussing you at 8:01 everynight while they re-rack your plates.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I bet if she caught you on craiglist.org for some NSA she would have got your attention.

I cannot beleive you wouldn't give her some loving..is she a fatty?
    ***No source checks!!!***

Random is offline RETIRED VET
    Na man i have respect for what youre doin, im not a mean person at all, but i give respect when respect is given back, and the same goes for disrespect...i cant wait to hear the outcome...seriously not enough people do things like this, i am very similar to you...people are getting walked over and screwed over everyday...why take that shit? in reality shell probly only be warned or written up but who cares, the point is that you had the respect for yourself to do this, and the balls to follow through, i give you props....and on a side note...i had a situation at Ballys---unrelated...so i fvking hate Ballys...

CD

Lexed is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    World Gym FTW

i agree with u. definately try to figure out what her deal is. dont waste too much time tho. ive been a member at 5 different gyms and ballys is by far the worst... you should check out other gyms around anyways. ballys is in chapter 11 which means they have a lot of time to fix their problems but i figure they wont be around in the next five years.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    It's simple... they want people out of the gym as early as possible so they can start their closing duties sooner and get out of their earlier.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I bet if she caught you on craiglist.org for some NSA she would have got your attention.

hahaha that's what I would've done

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Go get 'em Mikey!

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    chapter 11 or not, no business likes a bad rap. bad news travel way faster than good news. and bad PRESS is even worse. call corporate again and make sure of closing policies and let them know why you are filing a complaint and that you would like a reasonable solution. If one is provided then and maybe then you will decide to keep your membership. The want to restructure, not fold completely. That's where the bad press comes in.

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    Fat, skinny, or perfectly in shape, no one should be rude.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Your overreacting.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    That would be a good issue for a small claims court. I dunno how things work in your state, but here in Texas, you gotta have at least $20 to fuss about.

Next time this happens, bring a witness or two, maybe a tape recorder/small camcorder. Then go someplace that'll charge you at least $20 (or whatever the minimum small claim is in your state), pay up, keep the receipt, then file your small claims complaint.

Your Bally's contract says you can work out between whatever AM and whatever PM, you'll have witnesses/recording that shows they broke that contract, the court will find in favor of you, they'll have to pay you for the extra that you paid for your workout, and they will also have to pay for a lawyer to represent them in court. Ya, it will cost them a bundle, and they'll think twice before they do that again.

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life
    Your overreacting.
    Glad someone said it. Honestly bro, I would just let it go. Maybe she thought that no one comes in for a 30 min workout, and that you would hold them up for closing. I have seen that a number of times when I worked in retail. We would be closing and someone would beg to come in and promised to be real quick, but then stayed forever. Just be the bigger person and rise above it. The world is full of rude and inconsiderate people, if we tried to file complaints against all of them, we would never have any free time. Bottom line, just let it go.

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54
    It's simple... they want people out of the gym as early as possible so they can start their closing duties sooner and get out of their earlier.
    bingo

Lol. You're right. She's hot but when I'm in the gym it's pure gym. I get abnormally keyed up when I train and it's as if it's not me at all but some alter-ego Jeckyl and Hide kind of thing. I feel agressive and irritable due to juicing and training. Everything is great until someone irritates me and I find I have a difficult time managing my reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja

I agree on the one hand. On the other hand, it's really about standing up for a principle. It goes like this: I pay to use the facilities. An employee said that I couldn't (in accordance with rules of her own making and not Ballys). That is presumptuous and I can choose to let it slide or I can choose to hold her accountable for wrongful behavior. By principle, I chose the latter. Although I agree with you in part, there's just a bit more to it I guess.

Your overreacting.

LoL. I think I may be a bit psycho sometimes. We all have our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Go get 'em Mikey!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    I agree on the one hand. On the other hand, it's really about standing up for a principle. It goes like this: I pay to use the facilities. An employee said that I couldn't (in accordance with rules of her own making and not Ballys). That is presumptuous and I can choose to let it slide or I can choose to hold her accountable for wrongful behavior. By principle, I chose the latter. Although I agree with you in part, there's just a bit more to it I guess.
    You need better things to do with your spare time.

I dont have to tell you but you know how many @$$holes leave their DB's laying all over the floor. On top of that then you have all the d!icks that leave their sweaty paper towels on the floor. Not only do they have to go around picking them up but they also have to go around and put all them plates back and in order ! Give the people a break. They don't want to be there 2 hrs after they close. I don't blame them because i would be the same way.

Yeh, I've read that in the New York Times. That place is a mess. I'm all for the gay community but on more than one occasion I've had gays stalking me. Just like any population (be it gay, hetero, etc), you get a percentage of shady ones imposing themselves. I used to react politiely but lately I take a hard line with that. Their sales tactics are misleading too. They tell people, 20 a month but that's just not the case. You really have to ask fine questions and read the contract. I did that and knew what I was getting into but I feel like it's a bad idea to lock yourself into a 3 year contract. The kids they hire as managers are sometimes not mature enough for the task apparently. Try doing cardio without proper ventilation (I sweat profusely - it looks like someone poured a bucket of water over me) and I sandwich my weight training between two cardio sessions which requires three shirts (4 actually, for the way home). That's alot of laundry. Every other gym has a fan in the cardio section - that's just standard. Do I have an axe to grind? Just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06
    I personally think Bally's sucks. My girlfriend goes there and complains all the time. I tell her to join somewhere else but she has a lifetime membership, whatever that is. I heard they filed for bankruptcy recently and filing a complaint will be a waste of your time and yield nothing. I suggest you go in there at 7:30 every night and at 7:59 load up the leg press w/45lb plates and then leave. They will be cussing you at 8:01 everynight while they re-rack your plates.
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 06-11-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    That would be a good issue for a small claims court. I dunno how things work in your state, but here in Texas, you gotta have at least $20 to fuss about.

Next time this happens, bring a witness or two, maybe a tape recorder/small camcorder. Then go someplace that'll charge you at least $20 (or whatever the minimum small claim is in your state), pay up, keep the receipt, then file your small claims complaint.

Your Bally's contract says you can work out between whatever AM and whatever PM, you'll have witnesses/recording that shows they broke that contract, the court will find in favor of you, they'll have to pay you for the extra that you paid for your workout, and they will also have to pay for a lawyer to represent them in court. Ya, it will cost them a bundle, and they'll think twice before they do that again.
    You dont want to take this to small claims court. There is going to be language in the contract you signed listing the court in which you could bring any action or require mandatory mediation of such a dispute.

Instead your better option would be to contact your local better business bereau (sp). These guys investigate complaints like this all the time and keep records of complaints online. I'm sure Bally's doesn't want it coming up that they have registered complaints against them. This should at least give you some leverage and a rep for Bally's will likely respond to the complaint either apologizing or giving an explanation as to why they told you you couldn't come. Of course a third option is they will simply say you are lying, but at least it will cause them some headaches. You can google the better business bereau and locate your regional office from the main site.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anybody puts the plates in order at my Golds...

anyway..IMO..if you got the time and the inclination to right a wrong, then do it

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    ... you really need to find another gym. Bally's is the worst!!!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Lol. You're right. She's hot but when I'm in the gym it's pure gym. I get abnormally keyed up when I train and it's as if it's not me at all but some alter-ego Jeckyl and Hide kind of thing. I feel agressive and irritable due to juicing and training. Everything is great until someone irritates me and I find I have a difficult time managing my reaction.

Introduce me to her, i will stick it in her pooper and straighten her out. haha
    ***No source checks!!!***

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kfrost06
    I suggest you go in there at 7:30 every night and at 7:59 load up the leg press w/45lb plates and then leave. They will be cussing you at 8:01 everynight while they re-rack your plates.
    There are morons (you included if you do that) that do just that which is why they stop accepting memebers that close to closing time.

Quote Originally Posted by ebjack
    I don't think anybody puts the plates in order at my Golds...

anyway..IMO..if you got the time and the inclination to right a wrong, then do it
    When i go to my gym in the morning the plates are all in order. You and i both know that takes a lot of time.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Yeah I use to be a manager at ballys and we would get ass holes that would try to stay past close and you get sick of it when you are trying to bang a receptionist at close

That's one way of looking at it but I sense your missing the point.

UOTE=DSM4Life]You need better things to do with your spare time.

I dont have to tell you but you know how many @$$holes leave their DB's laying all over the floor. On top of that then you have all the d!icks that leave their sweaty paper towels on the floor. Not only do they have to go around picking them up but they also have to go around and put all them plates back and in order ! Give the people a break. They don't want to be there 2 hrs after they close. I don't blame them because i would be the same way.[/QUOTE]

And your girlfriend after she leaves

Blog Entries
    That's one way of looking at it but I sense your missing the point.

UOTE=DSM4Life]You need better things to do with your spare time.

I dont have to tell you but you know how many @$$holes leave their DB's laying all over the floor. On top of that then you have all the d!icks that leave their sweaty paper towels on the floor. Not only do they have to go around picking them up but they also have to go around and put all them plates back and in order ! Give the people a break. They don't want to be there 2 hrs after they close. I don't blame them because i would be the same way.
    [/QUOTE]

No i see your point but i am trying to make you see the other side of it ?

This girl doesn't want to be stuck at work any later then you and i. If you were in her shoes i am sure you would be posting how rude people are that come in last minute and mess up the weightroom that you just cleaned.

That point you made (the so-called "other side" was a point I already made.)
    So for you to re-say what was already said is redundant.

No i see your point but i am trying to make you see the other side of it ?

This girl doesn't want to be stuck at work any later then you and i. If you were in her shoes i am sure you would be posting how rude people are that come in last minute and mess up the weightroom that you just cleaned.[/QUOTE]

She likes my libido. She's difficult and passionate but for some reason I have a very gentle orientation toward her. She can do no wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    And your girlfriend after she leaves

She likes my libido. She's difficult and passionate but for some reason I have a very gentle orientation toward her. She can do no wrong.

I was talking about me, first I hit the receptionist then I call my girl to meet me up there, get it

oh, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    I was talking about me, first I hit the receptionist then I call my girl to meet me up there, get it

Can anyone say, ROID RAGE !

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    LoL. I think I may be a bit psycho sometimes. We all have our issues.
    No mate, I think you should pursue this, I probably wouldn't bother cos I'm a lazy bastard but those who have posted that you are overreacting have possibly not experienced or are forgetting the rage one feels when they are all keyed up for a great workout and something (or in this case someone) gets in the way - especially for those of us with obsessive compulsive tendencies!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    you are overreacting have possibly not experienced or are forgetting the rage one feels when they are all keyed up for a great workout and something (or in this case someone) gets in the way - especially for those of us with obsessive compulsive tendencies!
    We all experience this but most of us have better things to do with our time like work and spend time with our loved ones.

Getting all huffy-puffy because an 18 year old girl wouldn't let me into Ballys is the last thing i am worried about.

Lol. You mentioned this view before and I guess I'll just repeat the response already made. It's generally a choice based on a principle: Let's go through it once more. When an employee who is paid through your gym fees to service you wrongs you and does you a disservice she should be held accountable for her behavior. My actions were to that end. You can let someone act wrongfully and out of spite and do nothing about it or you can take the kind of action that says "I refuse to be your door mat." Remember the "turning the cheek" story in the bible? When I get smacked I smack back. That's time well spent. Get it now? If you don't by now you never will.

We all experience this but most of us have better things to do with our time like work and spend time with our loved ones.

Getting all huffy-puffy because an 18 year old girl wouldn't let me into Ballys is the last thing i am worried about.
    Last edited by Mike Dura; 06-12-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Random is offline RETIRED VET
    ^^^Mike it looks like im one of the few that actually agrees...

I can see it both ways. My rage was out of proportion with the incident but I don't regret my choice to research the situation and take action. No one should let another person walk all over them. Especially some little brat.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDominate
    ^^^Mike it looks like im one of the few that actually agrees...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    the issue is you were not harmed, you were not denyed access since you did get your workout..

you can complain, but it's up to their HR to fire or punish her..

She had the place clean, she wanted to leave at 8:00.. she had a date..

i would have been in the shower for 30 minutes myself..

but you see how it is..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information