Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Those are different types of second messanger systems. BTW, learning The different RAS messenger system was the damn devil....LOL

You will only ever use that again when you take the MCAT, maybe. Even as a physiologist unless your a protein researcher its useless to know.
    Im quite proud that I've committed a ton of useless information to memory that will never serve me as a clinician. Lol....

Speaking of MCAT....ill just throw out some practice questions for ya....no cheating!

Given the reaction: C2H2 + 2H2 --> C2H6

This reaction represents:

A. Substitution
    B. Addition
    C. Esterification
    D. Saponification

Mean arterial pressure is the product of:

A. TPR x SV
    B. TPR x CO
    C. CO/SV
    D. SV/EDV

Which of the following microorganisms are not matched correctly with the appropriate isolation media?

A. Fungi - Sabourand's agar
    B. Neisseria gonorrhoeae – Pink colonies media
    C. Haemophilus influenzae – Chocolate agar
    D. Mycobacterium tuberculosis - Lowenstein-Jensen agar

Changes in sensory aphasia are often associated with a _______ lesion.

A. Frontal lobe
    B. Parietal lobe
    C. Broca's area
    D. Wernicke's area

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather;419***7
    Speaking of MCAT....ill just throw out some practice questions for ya....no cheating!

Given the reaction: C2H2 + 2H2 --> C2H6

This reaction represents:

A. Substitution
    B. Addition
    C. Esterification
    D. Saponification

Mean arterial pressure is the product of:

A. TPR x SV
    B. TPR x CO
    C. CO/SV
    D. SV/EDV

Do you mean SVR?

Because MAP=MAP = (CO \times SVR) + CVP,

CVP is usually neglected by most?

Which of the following microorganisms are not matched correctly with the appropriate isolation media?

A. Fungi - Sabourand's agar
    B. Neisseria gonorrhoeae – Pink colonies media
    C. Haemophilus influenzae – Chocolate agar
    D. Mycobacterium tuberculosis - Lowenstein-Jensen agar

Changes in sensory aphasia are often associated with a _______ lesion.

A. Frontal lobe
    B. Parietal lobe
    C. Broca's area-This one sucks because you would automatically assume this one in your head as your reading it.
    D. Wernicke's area

That sucks you have to know shat like this already
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 03-25-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have to admit the chem one was kinda hard for me. I havents seen a reaction without a hundred steps in it in I dont know how long. I am not sure if I got it right or not.....LOL

I have to admit the chem one was kinda hard for me. I havents seen a reaction without a hundred steps in it in I dont know how long. I am not sure if I got it right or not.....LOL
    Yea you got it right...It does suck dude...At least with chem&physics you can memorize the laws and formulas and work them out if you need to. With the BS section of the MCAT all of that stuff must be committed to memory...Most of the physics and chem aspects have no practical use in medicine unless you are doing research, they're merely a tool to weed people out...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Yea you got it right...It does suck dude...At least with chem&physics you can memorize the laws and formulas and work them out if you need to. With the BS section of the MCAT all of that stuff must be committed to memory...Most of the physics and chem aspects have no practical use in medicine unless you are doing research, they're merely a tool to weed people out...
    Have you took it yet?

Have you took it yet?
    Hell no...I might not take it until next year, I'm applying to a post-bac program to finish off my sciences that I haven't taken...You can take the MCAT without having all the pre-reqs(which is why i already started studying), you just have to have completed all the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation... What MCAT date and matriculation year are you shooting for?

Blog Entries
    Hell no...I might not take it until next year, I'm applying to a post-bac program to finish off my sciences that I haven't taken...You can take the MCAT without having all the pre-reqs(which is why i already started studying), you just have to have completed all the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation... What MCAT date and matriculation year are you shooting for?
    Oh I am way past all that. I decided to be a research scientist, then when I got done doing my masters I was going to a med school and became clinical exercise physiologist. Then when I was told I was going to be working with 500 rats in a lab, I decided that wasnt for me so now I am doing a different doctorate program. Without giving up to much info about myself...LOL

BTW I got a 28 on MCAT without physics II and Organic II, that was a huge mistake on my part at the time. Organic II was a huge part of the test. I actually had a buddy do the same thing and got like a 34 or 36, something stupidly high like that. From what I hear he is top of his class right now going into his last year I believe.

Oh I am way past all that. I decided to be a research scientist, then when I got done doing my masters I was going to a med school and became clinical exercise physiologist. Then when I was told I was going to be working with 500 rats in a lab, I decided that wasnt for me so now I am doing a different doctorate program. Without giving up to much info about myself...LOL

BTW I got a 28 on MCAT without physics II and Organic II, that was a huge mistake on my part at the time. Organic II was a huge part of the test. I actually had a buddy do the same thing and got like a 34 or 36, something stupidly high like that. From what I hear he is top of his class right now going into his last year I believe.
    28 on the MCAT is an average score and would have been quite competitive for Osteopathic schools...The average allopathic matriculant is a 3.7/31.2 MCAT, average osteopathic is a 3.5/28 MCAT....I will gladly take a 28...

Good luck with the research path, it is tuff and not something that is immediately rewarding like medicine. Really gotta be in that one for the long haul to see the fruits of your labor.

Blog Entries
    28 on the MCAT is an average score and would have been quite competitive for Osteopathic schools...The average allopathic matriculant is a 3.7/31.2 MCAT, average osteopathic is a 3.5/28 MCAT....I will gladly take a 28...

Good luck with the research path, it is tuff and not something that is immediately rewarding like medicine. Really gotta be in that one for the long haul to see the fruits of your labor.
    Yeah At a couple of the allopathic schools I was going to applied at most got in with a 28 the year before, I was really happy with that. I think If I had OCHEM II I may have done a few points better. I didnt know much about osteopathic schools at the time. If I had I may have done that.

Thats crazy that the average score is 31 now. When I took it like 5 years ago if you got in the high 20's you were getting in no problem. If you scored in the thirties you were a god.

Blog Entries
    Oh almost forgot, good luck with your studies. I am sure you will do well on it.

Blog Entries
    Bizzzummp

Blog Entries
    Bump for more questions, you guys have to have something...

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    If you have an exercise/physiology related question post it here or in my blog. While I do not profess to know it all I do hold a few advanced degrees and a few research publication in physiology and exercise science related areas.

Thanks.
    http://forums.steroid.com/blogs/musclescience/109-post-exercise-related-question.html

Disclaimer: I will not answer questions about how to administer AAS.
    Don't be modest friend. Your a freakin genius!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Don't be modest friend. Your a freakin genius!
    Is that a question....

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    If a doctor gives you 3 pills and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long would it take before all the pills had been taken?

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    How much do you know about joint supplements. I have been have issues with the front part of my knee behind my patella. It isn't a sharp pain but more a aching pain that has been affecting my strength squatting/doing quads here recently. It all started once I came off a joint supplement I bought at the health store for 3 weeks then I bought a joint supplement (1500mg of Glucosamine hydrochloride and 1500mg of MSM by Schiff) at the grocery store and it seems to not work at all.

I don't believe I have injuried my self but the issue seems to be unresolved. Is it possible the joint supplement I have now has a bunch of fillers cause I forget what brand I used last time but it was only Glucosamine at it worked like a charm. Or do I need to rest it and take care of it and not hit such heavy weight for a little while. I usually rep 405- for 8-10 reps the past 3 weeks only for 2 and it makes the joint worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    If a doctor gives you 3 pills and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long would it take before all the pills had been taken?
    DSM, exercise related please.....

As I'm reviewing possibilites I'm thinking possible Chondromalacia as my outside quad is much larger than my inside quad and I need to straighten that out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed500 View Post
    As I'm reviewing possibilites I'm thinking possible Chondromalacia as my outside quad is much larger than my inside quad and I need to straighten that out
    Chondromalacia is my guess also, I had rather bad CM from doing plyometrics all the time when I played ball. To my knowledge about all that can be done is ice therapy and rest. That works for most people, but also a PT program for flexability of the quads and mobilization of the patella along with IT band stretches ect.

As far as the supplementation goes, Glucosamine in its varies forms seems to be beneficial as reported by a few large studies. Usually it is used for the treatment of osteoarthritis, whether it is effective for CM is I think a matter for debate.

Chondromalacia is due to an irritation of the smooth cartilage that is directly under the patella. It is considered a over use condition and it appears that rest is the best treatment for slight to moderate cases.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 03-25-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Is Chondromalacia anything like, or related to the condition called Osgood-Schlatter (Not sure if I spelled that right...)
    I used to have that in my left knee, and it acted up a lot, got all swollen and hurt real bad...
    Ever hear of that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Is Chondromalacia anything like, or related to the condition called Osgood-Schlatter (Not sure if I spelled that right...)
    I used to have that in my left knee, and it acted up a lot, got all swollen and hurt real bad...
    Ever hear of that?
    Osgood Schlatters is one of the very first conditions one learns about if they do anything related to sports and kids, it is fairly common.

Similar in the fact that its caused usually by overuse. However Osgood Schlatters is caused by the patella tendon basically pulling a piece of the tibia apart from the rest of the bone. In children the bone is much more soft and spongy than in adults. The tibial tuberosity is were the patella tendon inserts and anchors itself to the lower leg bone. In active children there is a slow and steady pulling of this tuberosity away from the rest of the tibia. The body tries to fill in the gap by laying down more bone. This can lead to a complete separation of this piece of bone away from the rest of the tibia, this is called and avulsion fracture.

Usually in children the enlarged piece of bone doesnt separate and eventually fills in and calcifies as the child matures. It can in some cases detach completely either from repetitive stress or trauma.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-23-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Huh, never knew any of that... It was waay worse when I was young. Now there's just a bony bump there. Must be from the calcification or making more bone to compensate for the trauma earlier on. Hardly ever bothers me these days but I can't really get on my knees if I'm on a hard surface, (LOL No gay jokes plz)
    Thanks for the info

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Huh, never knew any of that... It was waay worse when I was young. Now there's just a bony bump there. Must be from the calcification or making more bone to compensate for the trauma earlier on. Hardly ever bothers me these days but I can't really get on my knees if I'm on a hard surface, (LOL No gay jokes plz)
    Thanks for the info
    Now that bump is just a part of the normal bone. The tendon when you were younger was basically tractioning the bone slowely away from the rest of the bone. Now that your an adult you bones are less spongy and have little cartilage content compared to when you were a kid.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 01-23-2009 at 09:43 PM.

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    why are my forearms so large?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FREAK View Post
    why are my forearms so large?
    cause you were a very lonely teen.........

Geez Freak, i could have told ya that one and I just have a High School Diploma....

why do men have nipples?

what exercises can straighten a curvy penis?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FREAK View Post
    why do men have nipples?
    Embronically all men have up to six nipples. 4 of the nipples regress as the fetus develops, there is actually still a nipple line in the body. Though you would not be able to see it.

The genes that control breast formation are present in both men and women. The only difference is how the influence of the sex hormones for males and females act on the tissue.

Also the genetic default sex is female. Much to the displeasure of Henry the VIII and more likely Anna Boleyn, the male controls the sex of the offspring by donating the Y chromosome. If for example the Y chromosome is defective or is fragmented the genotype (genetic makeup) will be male but the phenotype (expression of genetic trait) is female.

If the persons DNA was looked at their chromosomes would say they are male but there sexual development would be female.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 03-25-2009 at 12:15 AM.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Why is abbreviated such a long word?

LOL, same reason lisp has an S in it.

Chondromalacia is my guess also, I had rather bad CM from doing plyometrics all the time when I played ball. To my knowledge about all that can be done is for ice therapy and rest. That works for most people, but also a PT program for flexability of the quads and mobilization of the patella along with IT band stretches ect.

As far as the supplementation goes, Glucosamine in its varies forms seems to be beneficial as reported by a few large studies. Usually it is used for the treatment of osteoarthritis, whether it is effective for CM is I think a matter for debate.

Chondromalacia is due to an irritation of the smooth cartilage that is directly under the patella. It is considered a over use condition and it appears that rest is the best treatment for slight to moderate cases.
    Thanks for the knowledge. good stuff

Any suggestions on a workout routine. possible lighter weight while squating and feet closer in with fewer sets sound ok??

Gives me a chance to bring up my hamstrings and calves as well so I can look at this as an opportunity...... for now

KatsMeow is offline Stupid
    Does a woman really have a "biological clock" or have "maternal feelings" making her have the urge to get pregnant or is it just a myth?

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    what the hell are these "forearm splints" they feel like shin splints but in my forearms. Hurts to curl anything in a supinated position and it is hard to release the bar.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    Does a woman really have a "biological clock" or have "maternal feelings" making her have the urge to get pregnant or is it just a myth?
    i really hope that this is a myth...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsMeow View Post
    Oh no that is very very true. Probably the strongest instinct humans have other than eating is to reproduce. Women especially as they get towards the later years of child baring can experience an increase in libido related to the womens body basically telling her that its now or never. A women unlike a man is born with only a certain amount of eggs that is stored in her ovaries. As she sexually matures these eggs as they process through the ovary release sex hormones based on what day the women is in the menstrual cycle. For example a structure called the Corpus Luteum is responsible at one point in ovulation for producing estrogen. This structure is related to the egg and basically is a cyst like structure that forms in the ovary.

When a female runs out of eggs in her ovaries her sex hormone production is arrested. It is thought that a women has somewhere around 1000 to 3000 eggs at the time of birth.

Last edited by MuscleScience; 03-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Question: My friend is absolutely gigantic naturally. Im trying to hypothesize how this is happening. He doesnt have extremely high test (deep voice, lots of hair), and isnt very tall (excessive GH agonism). Any ideas?

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
    what the hell are these "forearm splints" they feel like shin splints but in my forearms. Hurts to curl anything in a supinated position and it is hard to release the bar.
    I used to get them when i was hardcore into wrestling, really messed me up bad. The pain was intense. I suspect it had to do with tendons or nerves in the forearm but would like to know more as well. Note: It went away after a few months.

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    Uhhh I've been like shitting dark green lately...no idea why...what might cause this?

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread Information