Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Dude has a 3G phone and I don't.

Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    ^^ bummer, all things happen in good time my friend.

CeeLo is offline Senior Member
    The hype is crazy! I can't think of anything that has been bigger and people were wanting to wait in line for more than this..... Besides FREE GAS!

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    I just passed by our AT&T store and there was alot of people since 7am. I think they open like at 10am pacific time.

Quote Originally Posted by cpreasha View Post
    The hype is crazy! I can't think of anything that has been bigger and people were wanting to wait in line for more than this..... Besides FREE GAS!
    It's like this world wide.

Apple Store NYC Soho

Apple Store NYC 5th Ave

Apple Store Chicago

AT&T Chicago

Sydney Austrailia

Denmark Copenhagen

Omotesando Japan

Gothenburg Sweden

Madrid Spain

Rotterdam The Netherlands

Carlos, you get around pretty fash. I think I will start to call you Flash Gordon!

Carlos, you get around pretty fast. I think I will start to call you Flash Gordon!

Yeah, man, I took all of those picts!

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    I wonder if there is anyone waiting in line for something besides the IPhone.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Geez...that's crazy. It's a phone, people! Wait another week or maybe even an extra day and you won't have to wait in line at all!

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^^Yeah but the nerds need to be the first ones to have it to have their few hours of glory.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    I wonder if there is anyone waiting in line for something besides the IPhone.
    hahaha

like man, I just want an iPod Nano. wtf!, why are all these people here?!?!

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i am so going to get one of these, if for no other reason but to piss off my son in law who has the original..

the young bull and old bull story..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Anyone hear of the problems the new 3g iphone is having? I heard about it briefly on the radio, but was not sure what it was. Hopefully it was something minor.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Not only did Apple screw up all their 1gen iphones but their servers crashed and everyone who waited all night to get the new phone couldn't activate their new paperweights, i mean phones !

iPhone 2.0 update wreaks havoc on 1st-gen devices
    Posted by Erica Ogg 43 comments

Several bloggers and readers are reporting that when they tried to update the firmware on their iPhones Friday, the devices were "bricked," or rendered unusable.

CNET Blog Network contributor Matt Asay reported around 7 a.m. PDT Friday that when he attempted to use iTunes to update his iPhone, he got an error message and his phone stopped working. He says he can't access contacts or make calls.

CNET News reader Peter8105 reported the same thing Friday morning. Blogger Dave Winer posted the error message he got to his Flickr page Friday morning, and complained of the same bricking phenomenon. He does report that he can still make emergency calls, however.

Just from the few reports trickling in, it appears this is only happening to people who tried to update their firmware Friday. There were no such reports when many iPhone owners were able to update their devices Thursday.

Apple has not responded to requests for comment yet, but at first glance the problem appears to be stemming from the severe overload Apple's iTunes servers experienced Friday as people across the world came out to buy the iPhone 3G.

We'll keep updating the story, but let us know in the comments section if you're having similar problems with the 2.0 firmware update Friday.

Update 11:20 a.m. PDT: A reader added the text of a note he received from Apple in the comments. Apple blames the problem on "network congestion on the iTunes server," but says you should be able to update or restore the firmware once the traffic dies down.

ref http://www.cnet.com/apple-iphone.html

"The much-hyped debut of the new iPhone 3G went off with hitches aplenty. Many customers, some of whom waited in line overnight, were not able to activate their phones in Apple or AT&T stores. Meanwhile, some owners of the original iPhone who tried to update the device's software were left with unusable phones. "

Cnet.net

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    A girl I work with picked up her's this morning. It's pretty nice but I will stick with the original iPhone. I figure a new one will be out next year when my contract is up and I will upgrade then.

Anyone know if iPhone 2.0 will be available to update on iTunes for the original iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lifts-a-lot View Post

Anyone know if iPhone 2.0 will be available to update on iTunes for the original iPhone?
    That's what I was wondering, why couldn't they just have made a software update? Why did they have to come out with a whole new piece of hardware?

What are the other major updates besides faster internet and the ability to track you through GPS. If that's all it is, I would settle for the 2G phone.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI View Post
    Geez...that's crazy. It's a phone, people! Wait another week or maybe even an extra day and you won't have to wait in line at all!
    I went to 2 Apple Stores last night to buy the phone. I waited until 8-9pm thinking the lines would be gone. All of the Apple Stores in Manhattan still had 3 hour plus wait time for their lines. I said Oh hell no! Went out to dinner instead. I have no problem waiting to buy the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    ^^^Yeah but the nerds need to be the first ones to have it to have their few hours of glory.
    Here is the funny part. I went to the stores right after the gym wearing a tank top. I had a friend with me and she also competes bodybuilding nationally. She had on a tank top as well. So the two of us, male and female, are both lean, muscular and vascular, walking through these HUGE group of geeks. You should have seen the way the people in line looked at us. Like "you don't belong here with us! They had a look of shock on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Anyone hear of the problems the new 3g iphone is having? I heard about it briefly on the radio, but was not sure what it was. Hopefully it was something minor.
    Yesterday Apple's activation servers took such a huge hit their servers went down. So all of the people who bought the phone couldn't finish the activation until the servers came back up. The servers were down world wide for several hours. When the servers came back up, all of the phones activated.
    A girl I work with picked up her's this morning. It's pretty nice but I will stick with the original iPhone. I figure a new one will be out next year when my contract is up and I will upgrade then.

Yes it's out. I updated my G1 iPhone yesterday morning right before Apple's servers crashed.

That's what I was wondering, why couldn't they just have made a software update? Why did they have to come out with a whole new piece of hardware?

What are the other major updates besides faster internet and the ability to track you through GPS. If that's all it is, I would settle for the 2G phone.
    The G1 iPhone can be updated to the same 2.0 software as the 3G version. What you're missing is the hardware improvements they made. 3G, GPS, better single strength, louder call volume, better speakers, and so on.

A couple of reviews comparing the G1 to the 3G version.

http://gizmodo.com/5024412/iphone-3g-review
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/11/iphone-3g-review/

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member

I dont imagine there will be much of a change now for a while with the iPhone. I'd envisage they'll alter the hardware slightly perhaps bringing out a smaller slimmer lighter version with maybe a bigger data storage capacity and longer battery life.

What will be an big anticipated change in the iPhone is 4G but for that to happen you will be waiting for another 2 years at least.

I think this iPhone is probably as near to as all singing and all dancing as you will get with smart phones for the next 18 months to 2 years... in that time i would hazard a guess that apple will be developing the 4G iPhone for a 2010 release so on the method to that madness i think ill be getting the 3G iPhone in a month or so allowing my 18 month contract to be running out in 2010 ready for the 4G launch.

Blog Entries
    b/f just stood in line and got one today. I am excited to see what all the hype is about later tonight when i see him.

Does anyone know what the termination fee is? I'm thinking about buying one and then terminating my contract. Then having it unlocked. It might be the cheaper option.

This girl told me that she went and bought one and never had to get it activated then just had it uunlocked. Is this an option as well. Does anyone know?

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know what the termination fee is? I'm thinking about buying one and then terminating my contract. Then having it unlocked. It might be the cheaper option.

This girl told me that she went and bought one and never had to get it activated then just had it uunlocked. Is this an option as well. Does anyone know?
    I believe they lowered it from 200 to $175.

The termination fee is 175, I think you can also buy the phone without the contract for $400 for 8g, $500 for 16g. Depending on if they charge you for a full month of service even if you cancel after the first day it may be cheaper to just buy it for 400

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Ordered mine today will be in a week or two.

I can not understand waiting in line to pay money.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Ordered mine today will be in a week or two.

I can not understand waiting in line to pay money.
    Same here. That's why I left.

Quote Originally Posted by scottythebody View Post
    The termination fee is 175, I think you can also buy the phone without the contract for $400 for 8g, $500 for 16g. Depending on if they charge you for a full month of service even if you cancel after the first day it may be cheaper to just buy it for 400
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. If i can just buy it for $500, I'll would do that in a heartbeat. I want the 16GB. Even if i bought it for $299 and canceled for $175, that would be sweet to. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I believe they lowered it from 200 to $175.
    Thanks for the info DSM!

You hear of this new iPhone 3G thing? Doing pretty well, or so we hear. Apple says they sold one million of 'em this weekend worldwide, compared to the 74 days it took them to hit one million with the last generation. So far the little bugger has invaded 21 countries, with France next on its hit list on July 17. Oh, and that App Store isn't doing too bad for itself either, with 10 million downloads so far to iPhone 3Gs, updated iPhones and iPod touches. No breakdown yet on paid apps versus free apps, but Jared is free, and that's all that matters. However, the saddest fact in all of this is that bunches of enthusiastic fans are queued up at the Fifth Avenue Apple Store this morning in New York (pictured), showing either a level of devotion to this little plastic bauble, or of complete disregard for their jobs, which is altogether frightening.

PC World has put together a graph (in color!) depicting the average battery life of some common 3G smartphones. We guess that Apple's 3G chip isn't so horible after all because iPhone came up on top. According to PC World, 'The 3G iPhone's 5-hour, 38-minute battery life isn't great, but it still beats that of the 3G competition.'

I'd say that is a great start. From 74 days to 3 days in record sales. Not to shabby!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
    PC World has put together a graph (in color!) depicting the average battery life of some common 3G smartphones. We guess that Apple's 3G chip isn't so horible after all because iPhone came up on top. According to PC World, 'The 3G iPhone's 5-hour, 38-minute battery life isn't great, but it still beats that of the 3G competition.'

That's gotta be a continuous talk time. I hav the Treo 650 and the Treo 700 and I can leave those on for a couple of days without charging. I doubt if I ever talk for 5 hours total during one day. I wonder how they test those times?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
    You hear of this new iPhone 3G thing? Doing pretty well, or so we hear. Apple says they sold one million of 'em this weekend worldwide, compared to the 74 days it took them to hit one million with the last generation. So far the little bugger has invaded 21 countries, with France next on its hit list on July 17. Oh, and that App Store isn't doing too bad for itself either, with 10 million downloads so far to iPhone 3Gs, updated iPhones and iPod touches. No breakdown yet on paid apps versus free apps, but Jared is free, and that's all that matters. However, the saddest fact in all of this is that bunches of enthusiastic fans are queued up at the Fifth Avenue Apple Store this morning in New York (pictured), showing either a level of devotion to this little plastic bauble, or of complete disregard for their jobs, which is altogether frightening.

I was waiting for the lines to die to go buy one. Looks like I'll be waiting awhile.

Blog Entries
    Well after playing with the phone for a couple days , i think its pretty cool but at the same time very over hyped.

Blog Entries
    I'd say that is a great start. From 74 days to 3 days in record sales. Not to shabby!
    The numbers are a little skewed as the iPhone generation 1 was only released in the US then gradually other countries as this one was a worldwide release.

Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to get one but I'm going to wait for a month or two as my Verizon contract expires.

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    This phone is way ahead of the competition, and the app store has some great apps, but while reading some of the reviews on the newer apps, most have fallen short. Still a great phone, but I'm holding out for the new crackberry to compare. I only wish one of this phones had a keyboard like the sidekick, but nicer. texting on the iphone IMO is good, but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    This phone is way ahead of the competition, and the app store has some great apps, but while reading some of the reviews on the newer apps, most have fallen short. Still a great phone, but I'm holding out for the new crackberry to compare. I only wish one of this phones had a keyboard like the sidekick, but nicer. texting on the iphone IMO is good, but not great.
    Yeah, I'm addicted to the keyboard on te Treo. Those things I can type a mile a minute.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information