Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The new corvette...

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Funny how the zr1 isn't even in those articles.

Btw I didn't ask for links lol
    Neither is the 911 GT3, GT2, Turbo..... and the Turbo is faster than a ZR1.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan68131 View Post

Neither is the 911 GT3, GT2, Turbo..... and the Turbo is faster than a ZR1.
    The turbo is faster on the drag strip but not on the track. Plenty of articles about it online, isn't that what you care about? Track times? will I ever buy a Porsche? No. Are they awesome cars? Yes. I simply argue because the Corvette isn't garbage. Its a phenomenal performance car. Calling it garbage is just ignorant.
    Yes I know I called Porsche garbage earlier.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    The turbo is faster on the drag strip but not on the track. Plenty of articles about it online, isn't that what you care about? Track times? will I ever buy a Porsche? No. Are they awesome cars? Yes. I simply argue because the Corvette isn't garbage. Its a phenomenal performance car. Calling it garbage is just ignorant.
    Yes I know I called Porsche garbage earlier.
    is the vette garbage no. Is it a super car like people are calling it? No
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    is the vette garbage no. Is it a super car like people are calling it? No
    Exactly- they keep putting it in the same class as exotics, lol. I don't care how fast the Corvette is... it does not belong in the line up against super cars. That's like putting up a Timex against a Rolex. The Vette is a Timex.

Exactly- they keep putting it in the same class as exotics, lol. I don't care how fast the Corvette is... it does not belong in the line up against super cars. That's like putting up a Timex against a Rolex. The Vette is a Timex.
    Even though its faster than a lot of supercars?

Even though its faster than a lot of supercars?
    there is more to a super car then just being fast.

there is more to a super car then just being fast.
    alright I guess that's where the argument ends, what do you want in the car. I don't care about all the other details honestly. Just the performance. So in my mind the vette is a super car

then you want a fast car, not a super car

DB1982 is offline Member

There are maybe a handful cars out there that are all carbon fiber 100%. Most have some mix of carbon, steel, plastic, fiberglass, etc. My point was when you sit in a Corvette... you see a plastic dashboard, plastic trim, some cheap leather here and there, and if you spend $110K some carbon fiber tidbits. Go look at a VW Jetta or Passat and they have more leather/wood/carbon trim inside for sub $30K than a $110K Corvette does.

Right now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Fully loaded, only comes one way. Most expensive Jeep outside of the SRT8. $53K MSRP.... and guess what... I got that instead of a Range Rover simply because the Range Rover isn't worth the additional $70K when the Jeep actually has more features than the Rover. BUT... the Jeep is nowhere near the quality of build or interior trim even fully loaded. I'm not against American cars.... I'm against over charging for garbage which is exactly what a Corvette is.
    Yeah what your not taking into account is do those $40k VW or BMW have 650hp hand built motors capable of up to 1000hp with the stock internals with more boost??
    Do those 40k VW or BMW have even half the technology that goes into the ZR1??
    Are those 40k VW or BMW capable of 200+mph???
    Can they pull a G on a skid pad.
    Can they do low 11s high 10s in a 1/4 mile?
    Do those 40k cars have any carbon fiber at all ??
    The $110,000 you pay gets you super car abilities at a fantastic price.
    40k VW get you a normal car with a nice interior.
    Let's start comparing apples to apples not the other.

and for 100k i would still take an M5 over a zr1

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Uhm.. Porsche's are built on an automated production line. Outside of the Carrera GT... none are hand built. Porsche is actually a "volume" manufacturer in Germany. Even the $200K Turbo 911 is built on an automated assembly line. Lambo, Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley... those are hand built which is why they will cost you your left nut to own one.
    Thanks for catching the slip I meant to say they were the first worlds production sports cars on an assembly line. My bad..
    At least that is what they claimed in an article a few years back.
    Last edited by Shol'va; 02-15-2013 at 01:53 PM.

and for 100k i would still take an M5 over a zr1
    or an M6, MB C,E,S, M 63... or Cayman S, 911, and old Gallardo, GTR,..... the list goes on and we haven't talked about Audi yet :P .

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I just see this as a lot of arguing about status. Yes the status a decent Porsche gives (as long as it isn't a boxster or something) is way above the Vette. I have a friend with a Lexus SC 430 convertible and would argue his used 38k car gives him status above a ZR1 Vette. But lets be honest, even the top of the line Porsches have no status comparison to an entry level Lambo or Ferrari. There is no comparison. Then you guys want to argue performance. How many articles do you need to read where the track and drag times are so close for a lot of these cars it is going to come down to the driver in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I just see this as a lot of arguing about status. Yes the status a decent Porsche gives (as long as it isn't a boxster or something) is way above the Vette. I have a friend with a Lexus SC 430 convertible and would argue his used 38k car gives him status above a ZR1 Vette. But lets be honest, even the top of the line Porsches have no status comparison to an entry level Lambo or Ferrari. There is no comparison. Then you guys want to argue performance. How many articles do you need to read where the track and drag times are so close for a lot of these cars it is going to come down to the driver in a lot of cases.
    In what regards? There are Porsche's that cost more than both Lambo or Ferrari. Its model dependent but if you know anything about Porsche; you'll know that you can take a standard 911 and make it a $200K car just in options. Porsche is a la carte' when it comes to what you can get if you order one. You get into a 911 Turbo model and you can easily get to $200K+ and that's not even considered a limited production vehicle. You get into the GT2, GT3RS and those types of models- you can get into the high $280's. As far as performance- a GT3RS will spank a Lambo unless you're talking Aventador. Aventador is really the only "untouchable" model from Lambo but it also costs almost $500K.

Here is a USED $300K Porsche: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ht_3678wt_1165

As far as status.... I don't care about Lambo's or Ferrari's. I could've purchased a Lambo or Ferrari a long time ago. They are in the $250Kish range or less for various models and you can lease one at a decent payment if you really want a Lambo. $20K down and $2K a month. I'm paying $1700 a month for my Porsche because I bought it.... $300 additional isn't gonna kill me to own a Lambo. I just drive what makes me happy; don't give a shit what anyone has to say about it.
    Last edited by dan991; 02-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.

There is def some status with this Porsche

Lol that's about the only one. No matter how much it costs i'm never gonna look at a Porsche the same way I do a Lamborghini.

Lol that's about the only one. No matter how much it costs i'm never gonna look at a Porsche the same way I do a Lamborghini.
    Uhm.. have you ever seen a GT3, GT2, or any of the RS models... you know... the 612 HP version of a 911 that is stripped down in weight? LOL

but you will look at a vette like a lambo?

LOL... I wasn't gonna say it.... so thanks Gixx...

No and I never claimed they portrayed the same status, just that the vette performs better. Which it does

Uhm.. have you ever seen a GT3, GT2, or any of the RS models... you know... the 612 HP version of a 911 that is stripped down in weight? LOL
    yeah actually you know my dad sold cars and so did all his friends. Soooo You know those bentleys and astons I talked about driving? Yeah those were his buddies cars, dude had more porches than you'll ever see in your life, along with rovers, mercs, Audis, bmw. You name it, the dude lived foreign cars and still specializes in them

My dad preferred to sell American performance cars when he bought performance cars.
    Last edited by Armykid93; 02-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Everyone likes their own things; for me Corvette is just a POS. I don't care... I've had a lot of cars in my life from a Dodge Omni (not kidding) to a Bentley Continental GT. They are cars- you buy what you can afford and like.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Looks similar to the shape of a ferrari, forget which model ferrari may have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    Looks similar to the shape of a ferrari, forget which model ferrari may have to look it up.
    458..... GM knocked off the Ferrari 458 with the new Vette

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    I have always liked the vette and as an "average joe" I will be able to get one, decent power, looks, fit & finish are a little to be desired by none the less Ima get one....ok NOT a C7 juries still out but either a C6zo6 or 427 Convertible. Ima Lambo lover, the kid who had the 5" poster on his wall of the Countach, love the Diablo and the Murci, the fit & finish on those cars have got to be top notch, its got speed, looks everything, but it isn't the fastest or the best track monster but to me I just think thier cool

Everyone likes their own things; for me Corvette is just a POS. I don't care... I've had a lot of cars in my life from a Dodge Omni (not kidding) to a Bentley Continental GT. They are cars- you buy what you can afford and like.
    You hit the nail on the head! What is funny though is how a few here can't afford to even do a cycle let alone buy a car or a truck they slam and complain about. But then that is why opinions are like a-holes we all have one. For those who have owned products that failed their expectations you have every right to raise hell and complain. If a company builds a product that a person likes and buys, that person will tell a friend about it. But if a company builds a bad product and the person hates it, he will tell everyone about it. That is why companies today need to get their act together and produce high quality products 100% of the time. Maybe someday GM and Ford will build a product that strikes your fancy. In the mean time there are several other choices in the market place. Hopefully for you you will find one that really stands out for you.

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0

the problem with american so called super cars is that they run great in a straight line........ never spending money on american cars unless its Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I think you are close CDP. But I think everyone seems to be on cycle at the moment so they will argue about any and everything... the sky is blue no it isn't, the light is yellow no it ain't, you looked at me funny no I did not. You called me out, no sir. I'm seeing a pattern lately aren't you? lol

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    I was around $134K with taxes in 2012. The damn thing ate up tires like you wouldn't believe. I got about 2,000 miles out of a a set and that was without driving like a jackass. I ended up trading it in on a new Porsche 911S (type 991) and although I'm happy with the 991- miss that C63. That thing was just fun to drive and you could take it anywhere like a "normal" car.
    so we didnt get hosed up here too bad, I think his came to 144k... usually we get nailed as much as 20k premium in Canada. Our first 2 GTRs sold for just under 120

Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    Underneath that leather wrapped dash is PLASTIC.
    Incredibly high strength poly-composites, but I guess we can call them "plastic" but not the same quality in each of the 2 cars...

And everyone knows the vette is FG body... they should start make CF bodies for 100+

Most definitely... when the first one showed up in town all jaws dropped. It was quite funny how Porsche made the very next gen 911 turbo faster, but its still such a sexy piece of engineering

And just so we can all get along and enjoy cars, here are the sounds of exotic sex...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKSm...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    And just so we can all get along and enjoy cars, here are the sounds of exotic sex...

Sorry but mine didn't have any sex sounds but it did show a ton of money on the move. Sweet!

stl
    stl is offline Banned
    the zr1 is 638hp not 450 And it has broke many track records including the import cars track records its quick straight and around corners a good all around car for the price would I rather have a Ferrari or a lambo yes No the Shelby does not handle better it still has an ancient straight axle you need to realize with the Shelby the Cadillac cts-v was faster in every aspect until possibly this year havent checked on its specs yet the cts-v wagon was 2 tenths faster 0-60 the coupe and sedan blew its doors off straight and around corners the zr1 has basically the same suspension with a higher hp version of the engine the cts-v is the fastest sedan in the world probably the wagon to

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3652766183.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	136081

Only picture I managed to save from the car show that just passed threw my city. Beautiful car! My old lady asked if that was a tool box.... Had to sit down and explain it was the engine!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soar View Post

Name:	image-3652766183.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	136081

Only picture I managed to save from the car show that just passed threw my city. Beautiful car! My old lady asked if that was a tool box.... Had to sit down and explain it was the engine!
    LOL Classic female comment. Yeah it looks nothing like an engine from the 80s or 90s. They are making them a lot more pretty and harder to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post

Ohhhh that's nice. Nothing like the exotic sound of a v12. My little V6 twin turbo doesn't sound to bad considering especially when the turbos are spooling up. Much better that those little Honda ricers with the fart cans. I built my exhaust 100% from scratch. No pre packaged parts. Gutted the 2 pre catalytic converters by hand, had a main catalytic converter test pipe built ad special dual tipped mufflers. OK time to drive my toy to work tomorrow since it's getting nice out.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 03-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.

PaxJax2 is offline Female Member
    Had one 2 years, 11,000 miles, sold it.....

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    I am old school and like pure cubic inches, big horsepower and torque. I like the big LOUD deep rumble n crackle and the smell of raw fuel. Something that almost makes the pavement vibrate. My 87' Vette was cool but my boat with the big block 454 with 525+ horsepower and headers on it would make you insides rattle. Listening to it lope n lope only to blast out a deep roar when I would gas it. ROAR !!!!!! ...crazy mike

This is old school 88' and it would rumble and lope and roar at 84 mph on a light chop. Pretty good for on the water:

Name:	Custom Built Engine.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	139958
    That was crazy fun...mike

Oh, the thread excuse me, I love the new Vetts, just Fkin love them. ...cm
    Last edited by crazy mike; 06-08-2013 at 06:05 PM.

PaxJax2 is offline Female Member
    My hubby bought a BMW 550i M version. I love it!!

austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxJax2 View Post
    My hubby bought a BMW 550i M version. I love it!!
    no he didnt.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

"It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information