Luck Luciano is offline Junior Member

MMA: Anyone here fighting as an amateur or professional?

Any folks in MMA wanting to share how they started out their careers?

jonnoAU is offline New Member
    hey budd,
    i want to do cage fighting my self MMA, i just started out with MAUY THAI and BBJ but did seprate classes to get the full juice of them both, with BBJ do no G.I grappling its mor for the cage and hand to hand combat, i have been doing both for about 9 months and going to join them together and do MMA classes starting from next year 3/1/2011, and train 1 year for the cage before stepping in, a year of trainning MMA is good to because it will boost your confidence and also try and do some local tournaments like in australia we have I.S.K.A KARATE and I.S.K.A Kickboxing great way to start if you want to get into the cage scene..
    also it comes down to patience, mate i want to get into the cage right now and just go mental but i keep telling my self that why now when i can wait a year and go mental with the knowledge..
    good luck bro

jonnoAU is offline New Member
    and also if the cage thing is for you add karate to your trainning the take downs are good

mmakid is offline New Member
    Pro here... Wrestled all through high school, after didnt do much. I met a guy who was a dj and told me he fights. He brought me to this event that was run by the boxing commision and it was legit. I googled a mma gym and found one really close to me and started going... The rest is history... I learned bjj for 2 years and then worked standup here and there and had a first fight shortly after.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I was for awhile, however as I got deeper into it. I realized how much it was not for me. Not from the aspect of competition. More so the type of people that I was associating with all the time. A lot of guys were addicted to some sort narcotic or painkiller, in trouble with the law, and basically just wanted to beat on people as opposed to the pure art and discipline that the sport requires. The testing at the amateur shows was very lacks when it came to blood testing. After a person I knew contracted a rather nasty disease from training, because of the lack of medical screening. I decided that something that was just fun for me to do and to keep in shape was not worth the risks that I was seeing regularly. I must say at some of the better amateur events and promotions things are better. Much more so at the pro ranks, according to people that had their pro card. Just my opinion and may not be that way everywhere. But it is something that is a risk.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

StillBoostion is offline New Member
    Sorry to hear that. Not all of us are like that. The real pro's treat it as a job, and after the fight they might have a drink with the guy they knocked out or got tapped out by. And for your own sakes get out a bucket and mop the mats down with bleach and water to be safe. If it wasnt done insist it be done before you start your training. Hell do it yourself, cause a little physical activity would never hurt a fighter. Find a better gym MuscleScience or anyone else out their looking for a good gym. Like anything do alot of research before you ever do anything, without research you are setting yourself and others around you up for failure.
    Last edited by StillBoostion; 01-22-2011 at 03:06 AM.

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    I entered an underground mma tournament in north Hollywood last year. Placed second got submitted in the finally round. Not to bad i guess.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBoostion View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Not all of us are like that. The real pro's treat it as a job, and after the fight they might have a drink with the guy they knocked out or got tapped out by. And for your own sakes get out a bicket and mop the mats down with bleach and water to be safe. if it wasnt done insist it be done befor you start your training. Hell do it yourself, cause a little physical activity would never hurt a fighter. Find a better gym MuscleScience or anyone elsae out their looking for a good gym. Like anything do alot of research before you ever do anything, without research you are setting yourself and others around you up for failure.
    I advised a lot of pro card guys as well as amateurs (I specialize in anaerobic conditioning/exercise physiology). That is how I started training for fun myself. Did it off and on since 02-03 before MMA got big. It was a good way to earn extra money through grad school. After the Ultimate Fighter series started, the scene changed almost over night. Just to be clear a true pro and MMA enthusiast are disciplined and work hard to keep the sport clean.

I was also not talking about staph or ringworms or things like that from dirty mats. I was talking about Hep B which is contracted through blood or body fluids. A very simple test that every venue or promotion should be able to do is all that it would take to lessen the risks.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

fourloco is offline New Member
    i dont have a whole lot to add that hasnt already been said. I have trained at 2 different MMA gyms and both had similar training scheduales. BJJ both Gi and NOGI Mon-Fri. wrestling/takedowns tues&thurs. and a good mix of muay thai, boxing, and kickboxing through out the week. Be sure to check out multiple gyms before commiting and tell ur trainers that your not there for recreational purposes but to fight. and when they think u are ready they will hook u up. I LOVE ALL THINGS MMA

dips is offline Junior Member
    ive trained bjj on and off for about 8 yrs and did a couple of amature boxing matches. i still train on and off, but have never gotten serious with it. i live in a small town and the closest mma gym is about 1.5 hrs away. i love everything about any combat sport. the work, dedication and pain. i dont think i will ever have the time or tools to pursue anything with it.

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    I thought about trying MMA as well since I have been in martial arts for almost 20 years already however the health risks outweight the benifits. I have recieved one concussion from a previous fight and still have to suffer the problems with it even though it has been over 4 years since I had it. Not worth my health that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro View Post
    I thought about trying MMA as well since I have been in martial arts for almost 20 years already however the health risks outweight the benifits. I have recieved one concussion from a previous fight and still have to suffer the problems with it even though it has been over 4 years since I had it. Not worth my health that is for sure.
    u can try bjj, not a lot of contact if that is your deterrent.

bruary17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I was for awhile, however as I got deeper into it. I realized how much it was not for me. Not from the aspect of competition. More so the type of people that I was associating with all the time. A lot of guys were addicted to some sort narcotic or painkiller, in trouble with the law, and basically just wanted to beat on people as opposed to the pure art and discipline that the sport requires. The testing at the amateur shows was very lacks when it came to blood testing. After a person I knew contracted a rather nasty disease from training, because of the lack of medical screening. I decided that something that was just fun for me to do and to keep in shape was not worth the risks that I was seeing regularly. I must say at some of the better amateur events and promotions things are better. Much more so at the pro ranks, according to people that had their pro card. Just my opinion and may not be that way everywhere. But it is something that is a risk.
    Where are you from? Your experience w MMA is not a common one. I train BJJ, I've trained with Matt Hammil, Hermes Franca and Tamden McRory. I've been around a long time and 90% of the fighters I know are intelligent, respectful, class acts.

I any sport, your going to find a few weirdos....thats just life.

Quote Originally Posted by bruary17 View Post
    Where are you from? Your experience w MMA is not a common one. I train BJJ, I've trained with Matt Hammil, Hermes Franca and Tamden McRory. I've been around a long time and 90% of the fighters I know are intelligent, respectful, class acts.

not to speak for him, but im bored and trying to get to 50 post, but i think that his prob was that he started before it was as mainstreamed so alot of the venues were still appealing to "there are no rules" crowd, and most fighters were just bar club brawlers with "100" wins. it wasnt the respected sport/art that it is now. i could be wrong, and MS prob already responded my the time i get thru typing this, but oh well.

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    bru i also trained with matt hammil . im a brown belt in bjj' i train mma out of miletich fighting systems. i wrestled and beat frank trig in high school. i also wrestled hammil at least 20 times .38 and getting older so the dream is slipping quick.ive trained with cole miller out of american top team,and jim miller/ken shamrock. im a div 3 ncaa wrestling coach right near me .
    Quote Originally Posted by bruary17 View Post

Thread Information