edgarr is offline Member

15 year old diet

My 15 year son is starting to workout. I want him to only get his nutrients from real foods and maybe a shake once in a while. Problem is that he is a real finicky eater especially in the morning. He hates eggs so what are so alternatives for him to get his protein. Any godd natural food shakes that can be made that taste good, I think this may be the easiest thing for him. And by the way we are trying to bulk him up. Thanks.
    Last edited by edgarr; 02-15-2009 at 12:02 PM.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    If it's something you are hoping to adhere to you are going to have to gradually change his mindset about food. Taste becomes secondary. The things we eat are not always the most pleasant tasting things. Eat for function, not for taste. I know that does not answer your question fully but its going to be quite a challenge to design a diet for someone with a discriminating pallet.
    Last edited by FireGuy; 02-15-2009 at 12:53 PM.

edgarr is offline Member
    that is how I eat but it will take some time for him to get there

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Did he ask for you assistance?

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Did he ask for you assistance?
    In the way that a 15 year old would ask. Yes, he wants my help but a lot of times it helps when my advice is supported. I think that you are going the route of saying "well if he is asking for your help then tell him to do what I tell him"?? Yes I agree with this but I don't want to force anything on him, it wouldn't be fun for either one of us. He is a serious baseball player so he is starting his strenght traning for that. I have always believed that diet is more important then excerise so I want to see him eating better. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarr View Post
    In the way that a 15 year old would ask. Yes, he wants my help but a lot of times it helps when my advice is supported. I think that you are going the route of saying "well if he is asking for your help then tell him to do what I tell him"?? Yes I agree with this but I don't want to force anything on him, it wouldn't be fun for either one of us. He is a serious baseball player so he is starting his strenght traning for that. I have always believed that diet is more important then excerise so I want to see him eating better. Thanks
    Actually I was going in the opposite direction.

If he didn't ask for help, there's no way in hell I'd suggest you putting him on a fixed and restrictive diet.

The most I would tell you would be that you should make some suggestions... namely breakfast.

Show him how to make a shake in the morning to cover his nutritional bases.

Make sure he has a good lunch and dinner... and advise him on snacking appropriately during the day between meals. (e.g. low-sugar yogurt and almonds between breakfast and lunch... and again between lunch and dinner for example).

That's it as far as suggested routine.

He's a kid.

The more you try to regulate, the more likely it is he'll rebel.

Regardless of whether it's for his own good or not.

-CNS

edgarr is offline Member

If he didn't ask for help, there's no way in hell I'd suggest you putting him on a fixed and restrictive diet.

The most I would tell you would be that you should make some suggestions... namely breakfast.

Make sure he has a good lunch and dinner... and advise him on snacking appropriately during the day between meals. (e.g. low-sugar yogurt and almonds between breakfast and lunch... and again between lunch and dinner for example).

He's a kid.

-CNS
    Thanks, my thoughts exactly. You happen to know a good breakfast shake reciep?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarr View Post
    Thanks, my thoughts exactly. You happen to know a good breakfast shake reciep?
    Hit me with a PM.

-C

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    At that age I would just keep an eye on his intake of sugar (candy), junk food, and sat fats intake.
    And make sure he eats veggies and fruits, a lot of kids don't and thats a big problem for somebody (under construction) if I may say or growing up.
    Too early IMO to restrict to an actual diet.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    I, 100% agree with Nark. I would like to add that if you want to show him good diet techniques, show him first hand. Eat the way you may want him to eat. If he sees it work for you, he'll be more likely to WANT to make those choices himself.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Hit me with a PM.

-C
    i was hoping to hear your suggestion in the open
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

xo3et is offline Productive Member

He's a kid.

-CNS
    Some really good advice here

hankdiesel is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My 10 year old nephew loves muscle milk. Actually, so does his 8 year old sister and she is very picky. How about 1 scoop of mucsle milk and have him eat a piece of fruit on the side. Eventually that can evolve into eggs and oatmeal.

Thread Information