Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB ID REALLY LIKE TO HEAR UR THOUGHTS ON THIS THREAD.. would u pls read through it when u have time?? This guy is saying BCAA's will cause an insulin release which may stop fatloss during fasted cardio ...

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...highlight=bcaa

Thx

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    GB ID REALLY LIKE TO HEAR UR THOUGHTS ON THIS THREAD.. would u pls read through it when u have time?? This guy is saying BCAA's will cause an insulin release which may stop fatloss during fasted cardio ...

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...highlight=bcaa

Thx
    Thanks bro, I just offered my .02

hex
    hex is offline Associate Member
    GB, whats a good way to increase water percentage as you cut? i used on of those electronic scale things and it said i was at 52% from what i have read that is 8-10% low (i know those things are inaccurate at best, but its my only method of measurement). or will that number increase as bf decreases?

ANIMAL is offline Associate Member
    I was reading a few pages back regarding carb cycling. You suggested something like high/mod/mod/mod/no/no/no. What would the carb numbers be? Currently I'm on a 45p/35c/20f split. 215g/182g/40g at 1,900 calories. I have it perfect at 1,890 but I'm wondering what would be considered my HIGH and moderate days of carbs. Is ~182 considered my high day, or do I go higher then that? I'm 5'5 and currently weigh 157lb with roughly 10% BF.

Also when you say "no" is that just a low day or is it really 0 carbs for those days so you deplete glycogen levels?

Quote Originally Posted by hex View Post
    GB, whats a good way to increase water percentage as you cut? i used on of those electronic scale things and it said i was at 52% from what i have read that is 8-10% low (i know those things are inaccurate at best, but its my only method of measurement). or will that number increase as bf decreases?
    Not sure i'm understanding your question brother. Are you trying to increase your body's water percentage? Why are you even concerned with this?

Quote Originally Posted by b23 View Post
    I was reading a few pages back regarding carb cycling. You suggested something like high/mod/mod/mod/no/no/no. What would the carb numbers be?
    I don't necessarily suggest that - it's just what I did. There are many ways to approach carb cycling, this is just one of them. As for the numbers, that completely depends on the individual's caloric needs, tolerance to carbs, etc.

Currently I'm on a 45p/35c/20f split. 215g/182g/40g at 1,900 calories. I have it perfect at 1,890 but I'm wondering what would be considered my HIGH and moderate days of carbs. Is ~182 considered my high day, or do I go higher then that? I'm 5'5 and currently weigh 157lb with roughly 10% BF.
    I'm not sure you're getting the concept of carb cycling, at least how I like to do it. It's carb cycling with 'built in' calorie cycling. i.e. total calories are changed via manipulation of the carb macro. So for instance I had 3 days at around 1500 calories, 3 days around 1800 calories, and a single day around 2200 calories. The only change was to the carb macro.

Also when you say "no" is that just a low day or is it really 0 carbs for those days so you deplete glycogen levels?
    "no" for me was no starchy carbs at all. Quite a bit of fibrous veggies though, with every meal in fact. Not fun unless you love veggies - I for one, DO NOT!!!

hex
    well i was just reading that an optimal body water percentage is around 60%. and the figure coach at the gym mentioned it to me to be aware i have not seen her in a few weeks to ask her why or what she meant so i did some research and it said the same thing i just cannot find how to improve this number or if i am in a position to truly worry about it yet.

well i was just reading that an optimal body water percentage is around 60%. and the figure coach at the gym mentioned it to me to be aware i have not seen her in a few weeks to ask her why or what she meant so i did some research and it said the same thing i just cannot find how to improve this number or if i am in a position to truly worry about it yet.
    My 02. - make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and don't worry about it.

hex
    awesome i have enough numbers going through my poor little brain daily lol thanks GB

awesome i have enough numbers going through my poor little brain daily lol thanks GB
    Haha I hear you bro. We tend to get caught up in the minute details and lose sight of the big picture. I'm very guilty of that myself, but working on getting better!

hex
    i am trying to do things right for the first time and get real results not just kill myself at the gym

i am trying to do things right for the first time and get real results not just kill myself at the gym
    Took me a few years to do the same. Half-assed it (thought I was doing well though) and never got great results. Buckled down and looked better after 3 months than I had after a few years! Stick around for my spring cut - starting in less than 4 weeks now!

If my calorie intake for my cut is 1,900, do I make that my HIGH in the carb cycle or do I make one day even higher like 2,200 and keep the 1,900 as my moderate days and 1,500 or so for my low days? Is that something only I can determine by my body? Just wondering how one knows when you're actually restoring glycogen levels by refueling your body with a certain amount of carbs. My BMR and TDEE says that my maintainence is around 2,400 calories.

Hope that makes sense.

I'd make your high day around 2500, your moderate days around 2000, and your low/no days about 1600-1700. Assuming 2400 is close to accurate.

Awesome. Appreciate it. I'll be giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'd make your high day around 2500, your moderate days around 2000, and your low/no days about 1600-1700. Assuming 2400 is close to accurate.
    GB this leads me to a similar question.. earlier u commented about my numbers being close to urs and me having more LBM than u.. that being said my current tdee is 3100cals.. rite now my cals for this carb cycle are 2750(high), 2250(moderate), 1900(low).. i was mainly gonna ask u if u thought my high day was high enuff but i figd id go ahead and ask u if the other 2 r good as well??

the logic being ive been cutting at 2200 with good success and i dont wanna go too high.. But ive also read a little about leptin and wasnt sure if the 2750cals/250g carbs would be enuff to top me off??

thx
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 02-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.

hex
    looking forward to following your cut man. and good luck!

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    thanks for hookin up the colour change.... should be red, but I just haven't proven myself again.... soon enough... dammit I just have to get smarter... smrt... smrt.... shit! smart

Twin is offline Associate Member

The only thing being trained (directly) 2x a week is arms... what's the rationale behind that? Not criticizing you, just curious.

Tbh, I haven't done a single bodypart split in nearly a year... i'm not a fan of that type of training as I personally feel we generally don't require nearly as long to rest/repair as people think, and that means missed opportunities for further growth (legs are one exception however). So, I can't fairly comment on this split. As far as single bodypart routines go, it's fine - but would need to see your excercises, sets and reps to give any feedback.
    my arms are lagging in my opinion. i have very long arms. i am only 5 foot 9 but have the arms of someone who is 6 foot 2. if that makes sense lol..

chest/triceps

All sets to failure to ensure i am training with everything i got. i have better results going to failure on every set than i did when only going to failure on last set to try to stay in that rep range..

flat dumbbell press 4 sets
    incline dumbbell press4 sets
    incline flys3 sets
    triceps pull downs 3 sets
    skull crushers then super with dips 4 sets

somtimes close grip bench with dumbbells if i still have energy

tuesday

biceps/back

Rack pulls, 3 sets
    barbbell rows 3-4 sets
    lat pull down 3 sets
    chin ups 3 sets
    bicep curl incline 3 sets
    seated ez bar preacher curl 3 sets
    hammer curls dumbbells standing 3 sets

wednesday legs

leg extension 4-5 sets
    leg press 5 sets
    leg curl 4 sets
    seated calv raise 5 sets

thursday shoulders

military press or dumbbell press(seated) 3-4 sets
    side raises machine 3 sets
    front raises 3 sets (dumbbell)
    rear delt pulls 3 sets
    dumbell upright rows 4 sets
    barbbell shrugs 4 sets

friday
    same exercises for biceps/triceps except for the dips. and same sets.

i feel i have not been training hard enough in the past so i am really trying to train hard this time to get better results.

also i have super setted dips because whenever i go weighted with dips, i feel a shock on my collar bone, i think i got strong for my body or something so im taking a break from weighted dips.. just doing super sets which will make me only be able to bodyweight dips after skull crusher to failure.

95% sets to complete failure...

i try to mix it up so i may do some super sets or drop sets every now and then to keep my body from guessing.

my goal is to get to 100 lb dumbbell chest press by june.. i am at 80lbs now... (80lb dumbbell chest press for 3 sets of 6 was my last stats ... by sometime in june, i want to do 100lb dumbbell chest for 3 sets of 5... that is my goal...)

just stopped benching recently and went back to dumbbells because ever since i been taking msm, i no longer get any elbow aches when doing them.
    Last edited by Twin; 02-24-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Bump for post #615

GB this leads me to a similar question.. earlier u commented about my numbers being close to urs and me having more LBM than u.. that being said my current tdee is 3100cals.. rite now my cals for this carb cycle are 2750(high), 2250(moderate), 1900(low).. i was mainly gonna ask u if u thought my high day was high enuff but i figd id go ahead and ask u if the other 2 r good as well??

the logic being ive been cutting at 2200 with good success and i dont wanna go too high.. But ive also read a little about leptin and wasnt sure if the 2750cals/250g carbs would be enuff to top me off??

thx
    It's probably fine. Just like carb cycling on low carb days automatically reduces your total calories by default therefore broadening your deficit even further, the high day is high due to extra carbs - i.e. the point is a large increase in carbs to restore glycogen, we're not necessarily going for a caloric surplus for the day. If it happens, fine - it's one day. If not, that's fine too. We're cutting.

looking forward to following your cut man. and good luck!
    Thanks man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    thanks for hookin up the colour change.... should be red, but I just haven't proven myself again.... soon enough... dammit I just have to get smarter... smrt... smrt.... shit! smart
    lol no prob. We debated making you red but decided you were too fvcking dumb.

Just kidding, of course!! Maybe when you get your body back, we'll talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post
    my arms are lagging in my opinion. i have very long arms. i am only 5 foot 9 but have the arms of someone who is 6 foot 2. if that makes sense lol..

chest/triceps

All sets to failure to ensure i am training with everything i got. i have better results going to failure on every set than i did when only going to failure on last set to try to stay in that rep range..

flat dumbbell press 4 sets
    incline dumbbell press4 sets
    incline flys3 sets
    triceps pull downs 3 sets
    skull crushers then super with dips 4 sets

somtimes close grip bench with dumbbells if i still have energy

tuesday

biceps/back

Rack pulls, 3 sets
    barbbell rows 3-4 sets
    lat pull down 3 sets
    chin ups 3 sets
    bicep curl incline 3 sets
    seated ez bar preacher curl 3 sets
    hammer curls dumbbells standing 3 sets

wednesday legs

leg extension 4-5 sets
    leg press 5 sets
    leg curl 4 sets
    seated calv raise 5 sets

thursday shoulders

military press or dumbbell press(seated) 3-4 sets
    side raises machine 3 sets
    front raises 3 sets (dumbbell)
    rear delt pulls 3 sets
    dumbell upright rows 4 sets
    barbbell shrugs 4 sets

friday
    same exercises for biceps/triceps except for the dips. and same sets.

i feel i have not been training hard enough in the past so i am really trying to train hard this time to get better results.

also i have super setted dips because whenever i go weighted with dips, i feel a shock on my collar bone, i think i got strong for my body or something so im taking a break from weighted dips.. just doing super sets which will make me only be able to bodyweight dips after skull crusher to failure.

95% sets to complete failure...

i try to mix it up so i may do some super sets or drop sets every now and then to keep my body from guessing.

my goal is to get to 100 lb dumbbell chest press by june.. i am at 80lbs now... (80lb dumbbell chest press for 3 sets of 6 was my last stats ... by sometime in june, i want to do 100lb dumbbell chest for 3 sets of 5... that is my goal...)

just stopped benching recently and went back to dumbbells because ever since i been taking msm, i no longer get any elbow aches when doing them.
    I feel your pain on the long arms thing. Have you seen any of my pics, particularly my rear double bi? I have really long arms too, in fact I was just talking with 405 about how I discovered why his arms look so much better than mine... and if you look side by side you'll see the difference in length. Anyway, i'm digressing.

For arms, i'd stick with minimal curl/isolation exercises (both bi and tri) and focus on the heavier compound lifts which I do see in your plan for the most part - close grip bench, dips, chins, underhand grip lat pulldown, etc.

As for your routine, it looks fine to me for what it is, pretty standard really. What's up with leg day though? I'd drop one of the pvssy exercises and add a squat exercise for sure. I'd also add deadlifts to either your back or leg day. I see that you have rack pulls on back day, and I was hoping that was because you had some type of deads (SLDL) on leg day, but that's not the case. I'd ditch the rack pulls personally and get a deadlift in. Or, do deads on back day and drop the leg curl on leg day... deads don't technically fall on back OR leg day IMO.

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    lol no prob. We debated making you red but decided you were too fvcking dumb.

Just kidding, of course!! Maybe when you get your body back, we'll talk!!
    I will have to agree

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I feel your pain on the long arms thing. Have you seen any of my pics, particularly my rear double bi? I have really long arms too, in fact I was just talking with 405 about how I discovered why his arms look so much better than mine... and if you look side by side you'll see the difference in length. Anyway, i'm digressing.

For arms, i'd stick with minimal curl/isolation exercises (both bi and tri) and focus on the heavier compound lifts which I do see in your plan for the most part - close grip bench, dips, chins, underhand grip lat pulldown, etc.

As for your routine, it looks fine to me for what it is, pretty standard really. What's up with leg day though? I'd drop one of the pvssy exercises and add a squat exercise for sure. I'd also add deadlifts to either your back or leg day. I see that you have rack pulls on back day, and I was hoping that was because you had some type of deads (SLDL) on leg day, but that's not the case. I'd ditch the rack pulls personally and get a deadlift in. Or, do deads on back day and drop the leg curl on leg day... deads don't technically fall on back OR leg day IMO.
    I'm a little bit bummed by the bolded statement. My leg routine I was planning on starting in 10 days were the same exercises done in this members post, but done in a hit style format. Warm Up, Working Set 10-12 reps, Working Set to failure (6-8 reps) followed by forced Rep, static pause, negatives.

In my current routine I've been doing SLDL and Squats, but a back injury has put me out. I've been advised to avoid any lifting that would put downward pressure on my back. I have such a stupid crazy anterior pelvic tilt that it's causing my s1 to constantly grind on L5...this disc seperating the two is gone. Are their any exercises that would be good for legs that would help avoid that downward pressure on my spine? Or am I just up shit creek?

I know this thread is just supposed to be gear toward diet and nutrition, but since you addressed the quoted post I thought I would ask. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    I'm a little bit bummed by the bolded statement. My leg routine I was planning on starting in 10 days were the same exercises done in this members post, but done in a hit style format. Warm Up, Working Set 10-12 reps, Working Set to failure (6-8 reps) followed by forced Rep, static pause, negatives.

In my current routine I've been doing SLDL and Squats, but a back injury has put me out. I've been advised to avoid any lifting that would put downward pressure on my back. I have such a stupid crazy anterior pelvic tilt that it's causing my s1 to constantly grind on L5...this disc seperating the two is gone. Are their any exercises that would be good for legs that would help avoid that downward pressure on my spine? Or am I just up shit creek?

I know this thread is just supposed to be gear toward diet and nutrition, but since you addressed the quoted post I thought I would ask. Thanks
    No problem bro, and don't be bummed - safety and health is first and foremost, always. If you have a back issue, then stay away from the lifts that are higher injury risk. Stick to heavy leg presses vs. leg extension imo. Try going with a closer stance (feet touching) and you'll REALLY feel that burn in your quads... taking the hips out of it makes a huge difference. I always laugh when I see these guys load up the leg press with 6+ plates per side with their feet practically falling off the sides (plus they go about 1/2 way on the rep). Then I load it with 3 plates per side, and get a real leg workout!

No problem bro, and don't be bummed - safety and health is first and foremost, always. If you have a back issue, then stay away from the lifts that are higher injury risk. Stick to heavy leg presses vs. leg extension imo. Try going with a closer stance (feet touching) and you'll REALLY feel that burn in your quads... taking the hips out of it makes a huge difference. I always laugh when I see these guys load up the leg press with 6+ plates per side with their feet practically falling off the sides (plus they go about 1/2 way on the rep). Then I load it with 3 plates per side, and get a real leg workout!
    real men do 10

Thanks GB!

hey GB thx for answering my question about cals on carb cycle.. it leads me to another question..

im aware the purpose of the high carb day is to replenish glycogen.. how would i go about accurately determining just how many carbs that is for myself?? after 3 days of 50g carbs all from broccoli do u think 250g is enuff?

i can tell u itd sure be nice to have u say "well 405 i think u should eat 300g that would be better" of course only if it were actually true...

id also like to add today i did shoulders and arms (this is day 2 of carbs only from broccoli) and MAN did i notice a difference in strength and stamina! alot less

good thing it was only shoulders and arms

405...Are your carbs split throughout the day on no carbs days? If so you might try to stack them all for pre and post workout meal. I know it's not alot but at least it would give you 25g pre and 25g post. It might make a little difference.

yeh thx slf.. they are split thru the day.. im not sure how much they actually offer energy wise.. i cant remember how much of the 50g is fiber but im thinking its like 18g or something like that which makes the 50 really 32 if im not mistaken??

its only 1 day/week.. i do a 4day split and lift mon, tue, wed, (moderate,moderate,moderate) and then either friday(low) or sat(low)..

after today i am glad i decided to do it that way.. id have hated to be doing bench or squats today...

yeh thx slf.. they are split thru the day.. im not sure how much they actually offer energy wise.. i cant remember how much of the 50g is fiber but im thinking its like 18g or something like that which makes the 50 really 32 if im not mistaken??

its only 1 day/week.. i do a 4day split and lift mon, tue, wed, (moderate,moderate,moderate) and then either friday(low) or sat(low)..

after today i am glad i decided to do it that way.. id have hated to be doing bench or squats today...
    Yep...I'm actually going to be doing the same split as you. Except Legs will be on Monday's after my High carb day. If I remember correctly you were doing chest on Mondays? Other than that and the macros differences...I'll pretty much be running it the same way you are. I start a week from Monday!

yeh thats rite chest on monday for me.. i thought about switching to legs on mondays .. but my moderate days im actually eating 50g more carbs than i have been eating everyday.. until this past monday id been eating 100g carbs 7 days/week since october 1, 2011.. so even on the carb cycle for leg day im getting more carbs now.. than i have been...50% more..

bump for #627 didnt want it to get lost in the shuffle ..

hey GB thx for answering my question about cals on carb cycle.. it leads me to another question..

im aware the purpose of the high carb day is to replenish glycogen.. how would i go about accurately determining just how many carbs that is for myself?? after 3 days of 50g carbs all from broccoli do u think 250g is enuff?
    Possibly, and if it has to change, I doubt it'd be much higher. How do you feel on the next workout after your carb up day?

i can tell u itd sure be nice to have u say "well 405 i think u should eat 300g that would be better" of course only if it were actually true...
    What does your moderate carb day look like again? Sorry man, I have a lot of info swirling in my head, lol

id also like to add today i did shoulders and arms (this is day 2 of carbs only from broccoli) and MAN did i notice a difference in strength and stamina! alot less

good thing it was only shoulders and arms
    Exactly - and this is why we really wouldn't want to train legs or heavy back, etc - the bigger groups. Arms can be done with without much intensity (relatively speaking), same with shoulders as they're small muscle groups.

Moderate carb day = 150g carbs ..

As far as how i feel during wkout After refeed.. Ill tell u today after i lift yesterday was refeed .. I ate 300g carbs.. And it was wonderful! LOL..

Moderate carb day = 150g carbs ..

As far as how i feel during wkout After refeed.. Ill tell u today after i lift yesterday was refeed .. I ate 300g carbs.. And it was wonderful! LOL..
    250-300g should be sufficient. 50g isn't going to be a make or break honestly, but if anything I'd rather underfeed a bit than overdo it - when losing bodyfat is the goal.

Yeh just a little tired of underfeeding i tell u getn to eat 300g carbs yesterday was freaking awesome!! Only had 4 meals instead of my usual 6.. Ate good all day long!

Yeh just a little tired of underfeeding i tell u getn to eat 300g carbs yesterday was freaking awesome!! Only had 4 meals instead of my usual 6.. Ate good all day long!
    Good deal!!! When I was cutting I had carbs in all but meal 7 (last meal) on my carb up day, but what you have is perfectly fine.

Wat do u think about a peAnut butter and banana and sugar free jam sandwich for 100g carbs on high carb day? The PB would be xtra crunchy jif (not natty pb) cuz its my fav.. The bread would be whole wheat .. And would it help to eat early rather than before bed?? And also with 10oz skim milk??

Wat do u think about a peAnut butter and banana and sugar free jam sandwich for 100g carbs on high carb day? The PB would be xtra crunchy jif (not natty pb) cuz its my fav.. The bread would be whole wheat .. And would it help to eat early rather than before bed?? And also with 10oz skim milk??
    With the exception of a bit of fruit pre and pwo, I try and keep my carbs all complex, especially on a carb up day. If you don't care, then as long as this fits into your macros, why not? If I were to eat it, it would definitely be early - like meal 1 early. What would the protein be with a meal like this?

With the exception of a bit of fruit pre and pwo, I try and keep my carbs all complex, especially on a carb up day. If you don't care, then as long as this fits into your macros, why not? If I were to eat it, it would definitely be early - like meal 1 early. What would the protein be with a meal like this?
    i could eat anything.. u name it.. eggs, chicken, ground beef, broccoli.. whatever.. this is just a way i thought to fit a love of mine into my macros..

i care if its gonna slow my progress.. but if its negligible thats difft??

Thread Information