Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Eattrainrest has been training people for much longer than I have and his advice is spot on, my main advantage is age, when a client seems me and the shape i am in and i let them know i am 48 yrs old, they say "wow i want to be in as good a shape as you"

my response is, you can be, but lets spend the next 6 weeks talking about diet, and rest and what it really takes to keep a body in this condition...

then we set more reasonable goals for them..

Oh and my other advantage is I have enough friends they may not like what i have to say, but in the end they admit that I tell them what i think and what it takes to get in condition and make changes to their life to meet the goals they have..

i'll tell someone i won't train them, don't need the money that bad.. if they don't do what i want them to, it's just not worth my time to train them..

I've also said I wont' train someone that wants to do steroids (believe that one) it's one thing to be on the internet and share, but i won't expose my family and my life to such hazards..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    there are a shitload of factors that come into play... and the set ranges are SUGGESTED, not saying if go under or over that you wont see results... it will vary SLIGHTLY... 15 sets IMO is still too much for chest

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    Clarity is good...

100% effort = that at 4 working reps you cannot do another rep... once you can do 6 reps with good form cannot do a 7th then you increase the weight and go back to 4 reps...

for size and strength that is..

But that's where eatrainrest and I differ is the rep range... but he gives some solid advice for sure..
    spy i agree with the fact that the 4 rep max range will work. however, i have developed tendonitis from performing this rep range with certain exercises especially isolation exercises. so i only recommend/perform them with compound movements. its very easy to cheat with form on barbell military press because you slightly arch your back, as when on a bench it is very stable. i feel that yes you will be strong as an ox but the chance of in jury is much higher, and i have paid the price for tendonitis in my elbow from doing heavy skull crushers/overhead dumbells in the 4 rep max range. the fact is you are right, but do i recommend it, only on compound exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    there are a shitload of factors that come into play... and the set ranges are SUGGESTED, not saying if go under or over that you wont see results... it will vary SLIGHTLY... 15 sets IMO is still too much for chest

15?? yea, i'd agree

if you can do 15 sets, i'd challenge you to raise your weight up 20% = good times..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

spy i agree with the fact that the 4 rep max range will work. however, i have developed tendonitis from performing this rep range with certain exercises especially isolation exercises. so i only recommend/perform them with compound movements. its very easy to cheat with form on barbell military press because you slightly arch your back, as when on a bench it is very stable. i feel that yes you will be strong as an ox but the chance of in jury is much higher, and i have paid the price for tendonitis in my elbow from doing heavy skull crushers/overhead dumbells in the 4 rep max range. the fact is you are right, but do i recommend it, only on compound exercises.

ahh.. have you tried seeing a chiropractor?? tens treatment, takes care of mine, i have to get it done like 1-2 times every 4-5 yrs

and i play racquetball too.. incredible pain

Rules

Eattrainrest has been training people for much longer than I have and his advice is spot on, my main advantage is age, when a client seems me and the shape i am in and i let them know i am 48 yrs old, they say "wow i want to be in as good a shape as you"

my response is, you can be, but lets spend the next 6 weeks talking about diet, and rest and what it really takes to keep a body in this condition...

then we set more reasonable goals for them..

Oh and my other advantage is I have enough friends they may not like what i have to say, but in the end they admit that I tell them what i think and what it takes to get in condition and make changes to their life to meet the goals they have..

i'll tell someone i won't train them, don't need the money that bad.. if they don't do what i want them to, it's just not worth my time to train them..

I've also said I wont' train someone that wants to do steroids (believe that one) it's one thing to be on the internet and share, but i won't expose my family and my life to such hazards..
    thanks for the compliments spy, its good to have you take part in this because of how diverse we are. you being 28 years older than me really puts in a totally different perspective as youve been around alot longer than i have, picking each others brains is always a great way to learn!

ahh.. have you tried seeing a chiropractor?? tens treatment, takes care of mine, i have to get it done like 1-2 times every 4-5 yrs

and i play racquetball too.. incredible pain
    its actually really funny because it only occurs if i perform those exercises. so how do i avoid it? i only work in the 8 rep max range with more simple motions and have no pain, ill stick to that plan for now.

its actually really funny because it only occurs if i perform those exercises. so how do i avoid it? i only work in the 8 rep max range with more simple motions and have no pain, ill stick to that plan for now.

compound is about all i do as well.... but i won't do any curls or overhead press (tri) with flat bars that helps a lot

Deads i use the correct grip, but I don't use that exercise as a primary due to this exact issue..

flat bar = pain

But ya know i don't do flat bench anymore either

incline, overhead press (315)

And i don't do burn outs at the end anymore, after all what's the point in developing lactic acid resistance if the goal is strength and size development..

If at the end of the last set i still have a little energy i will do a static hold, without locking out which has been the hardest thing for me to modify..

locking out on any exercise will transfer the weight to the skeletal system and the ligaments and tendons = bad...

here's a funny thing that happened to me this past monday.. I was doing seated overhead press with 315.. I had completed the exercise 2 sets and was on the 3rd when the bench i was on let go, rather the pin released and it dropped 1 notch... yep the weight almost dropped on my head.. thank goodness i had modified this exercise so that the bar is just in front of my face, or the front edge of my head..

Good times..

Rules

great times...

T.STEEL is offline Junior Member
    Hey i was thinking about giving your workout a try, the one you that you are currently doing. Before i was doing a 4 day split of mon-chest/bi's tues-legs, calves thurs-shoulders, triceps and fri-Back, traps. I will be on test enth for 12 weeks and looking to put on muscle mass. so here is what i plan on doing for exercises and rep ranges will be a 10, 8, 6.

mon- back, hams calves.
    Weighted pullups
    Lat pulldowns with v-bar
    T-bar rows
    Low row
    hyperextensions weighted- 10,10,10
    Stiff-legged deadlifts
    lying leg curls
    Standing calf raises
    seated calf raises

Tues- delts, traps, abs.
    Seated barbell military press- 10, 8, 6, 4
    seated dumbell rear delt raises- rear delts are lagging bigtime
    upright rows with cable
    barbell shrugs or dumbell- more reps for these??
    weighted abs on decline bench

Thurs- quads, glutes, calves.
    Barbell squats- 10, 8, 6, 4.
    Leg press
    legextensions
    Barbell lunges
    Seated calves
    standing calves- what are your reps for calves?

Fri- chest, biceps, abs
    Incline bench
    chest press free motion
    decline dumbells
    flyes on machine or dumbell.
    standing barbell curls
    dumbell incline curls
    preacher curl- 12, 10,10.

any suggestions? anything i should maybe switch around or add or replace something? was going to try this for maybe 6-8 weeks then switch over to your 4-6 rep max for the first two sets and then go down in weight. also would like to throw in deadlifts once every other week instead of pullups, your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by T.STEEL View Post
    Hey i was thinking about giving your workout a try, the one you that you are currently doing. Before i was doing a 4 day split of mon-chest/bi's tues-legs, calves thurs-shoulders, triceps and fri-Back, traps. I will be on test enth for 12 weeks and looking to put on muscle mass. so here is what i plan on doing for exercises and rep ranges will be a 10, 8, 6.

mon- back, hams calves.
    Weighted pullups 6,6,last set to your max
    Lat pulldowns with v-bar 6,6,12
    T-bar rows6,8,8
    Low row8,8,8
    hyperextensions weighted- 10,10,10
    Stiff-legged deadlifts12,6,6
    lying leg curls8,8,8
    Standing calf raisesall calves 8 reps
    seated calf raises

Tues- delts, traps, abs.
    Seated barbell military press- 10, 8, 6, 4go 10, 6,6,12.. 4 reps max is too much stress here, these are the reps that i would folllow, especially on gear to boost strength out the ass
    seated dumbell rear delt raises- rear delts are lagging bigtimedo these last, after medial delts aka upright rows
    upright rows with cable
    barbell shrugs or dumbell- more reps for these??id go 6,6,12 on shrugs, good form use wrist wraps
    weighted abs on decline bench

Thurs- quads, glutes, calves.
    Barbell squats- 10, 8, 6, 4.if you hav eno injuries and good form go 4,4,12 here to your max
    Leg pressyou can do 6,6,12
    legextensions8.8.8
    Barbell lungesbarbell lungesyou mean dumbell?
    Seated calves
    standing calves- what are your reps for calves?

Fri- chest, biceps, abs
    Incline bench4,4,12
    chest press free motion
    decline dumbells6,6,12
    flyes on machine or dumbell.8,8,8
    standing barbell curls6,6,12
    dumbell incline curls8,8,12
    preacher curl- 12, 10,10.

any suggestions? anything i should maybe switch around or add or replace something? was going to try this for maybe 6-8 weeks then switch over to your 4-6 rep max for the first two sets and then go down in weight. also would like to throw in deadlifts once every other week instead of pullups, your thoughts?
    those would be my suggestions, spy any input?

oh yea no weights ont he last set of pullups, go to failure as many wide pulllups

I'd like to build a better training regime. I like super setting opposing muscle groups, and training till failure.

I generally do this schedule while changing up the machine/training each time:

Day 1 - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
    Day 2 - Cardio
    Day 3 - Legs
    Day 4 - Chest/Back
    Day 5 - Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Day 6 - Cardio

I normally do 3x 4 sets on different workouts, while doing supersets on all muscles (except calves and forearms that I leave till end of training) I sometimes don't finish my last set of machines as I make it my failure set. My reps are normally around 8-10, and 15 for legs.

My goal is to build round, defined mass. What kind of change can you sggest for me?

Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts towards switching up the exercises week to week? or just sticking with the same ones until you cant really move up anymore?

Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts towards switching up the exercises week to week? or just sticking with the same ones until you cant really move up anymore?
    stick to a routine 8-12 weeks or until results stop or hit a plateua.

Quote Originally Posted by TractionIssues View Post
    I'd like to build a better training regime. I like super setting opposing muscle groups, and training till failure.

I generally do this schedule while changing up the machine/training each time:

Day 1 - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
    Day 2 - Cardio
    Day 3 - Legs
    Day 4 - Chest/Back
    Day 5 - Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Day 6 - Cardio

I normally do 3x 4 sets on different workouts, while doing supersets on all muscles (except calves and forearms that I leave till end of training) I sometimes don't finish my last set of machines as I make it my failure set. My reps are normally around 8-10, and 15 for legs.

My goal is to build round, defined mass. What kind of change can you sggest for me?
    well if you could show me what i need for proper critique...the split itself looks good although i would do my cardio post workout or AM. but i need sets per muscle group to tell you... thats a pretty high rep range if you went to 4 max using O-load principle you wil gain rapid strength, maximizing some white twitch aka some more size and strength.. either rep range stay in the 4-8 for size/strength would be my recommendation. if anything superset the last set of each body part. ex-last set of chest superset flies with dips. and no beyond failure techniques except supersets, if you want. you will gain fine with straight sets and lessen the likelihood of injury

also traction, if you hav ebeen running that split for around 8-12 weeks id say refer to my first post and choose a solid 4-5 day split that i have written that will work for you.

well if you could show me what i need for proper critique...the split itself looks good although i would do my cardio post workout or AM. but i need sets per muscle group to tell you... thats a pretty high rep range if you went to 4 max using O-load principle you wil gain rapid strength, maximizing some white twitch aka some more size and strength.. either rep range stay in the 4-8 for size/strength would be my recommendation. if anything superset the last set of each body part. ex-last set of chest superset flies with dips. and no beyond failure techniques except supersets, if you want. you will gain fine with straight sets and lessen the likelihood of injury
    Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand this part.

beyond failure techniques would constittute drop sets, or anything over 100 percent intensity, which i do NOT recommend because of the unecessary tension applied to the joints/tendons which can 1-lead to joint/tendon issues and 2-overtraining.

nobody has yet to follow up with me and their workouts? id like to hear the progress on the ones i have critiqued.. lol

goldtravel is offline New Member

New routine need critique

Thinking of this for my new routine, 3 days on 1 off and 3 on 1 off, then repeat. i am looking for size/strenght

Chest/back

INCLINE BENCH 3 SETS
    FLAT BENCH 3 SETS
    FLYES 3 SETS
    DEADLIFT 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLUPS 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLDOWNS 3 SETS
    SEATED ROW 3 SETS

Delts/Bi's/Tri's

SHOULDER PRESS 3 SETS
    FRONT RAISE 2 SETS
    UPRIGHT ROW 2 SETS
    STANDING CURL 3 SETS
    SEATED CURL 3 SETS
    DIPS 2 SETS
    CLOSE GRIP PRESS 2 SETS
    OVERHEAD PRESS 2 SETS

Quads/hams/calves

SQUATS 4 SETS
    LEG EXTENSIONS 4 SETS
    LEG CURLS 3 SETS
    LUNGES 2 SETS
    LEG CURLS 4 SETS
    CALF RAISE 4 SETS

OFF DAY

Chest/back

FLAT BENCH 3 SETS
    DECLINE BENCH 3 SETS
    FLYES 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLUPS 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLDOWNS 3 SETS
    SEATED ROW 3 SETS
    T BAR ROW 2 SETS

Delts/Bi's/Tri's

FRONT RAISE 3 SETS
    UPRIGHT ROW 3 SETS
    STANDING CURL 3 SETS
    SEATED CURL 3 SETS
    DIPS 3 SETS
    TRICEP EXTENSIONS 3 SETS

Quads/Hams/Calves

SQUATS 4 SETS
    FRONT SQUATS 3 SETS
    SINGLE LEG EXTENSIONS 4 SETS
    SINGLE LEG CURLS 3 SETS
    STIFF LEG DEADLIFT 4 SETS
    SEATED CALF RAISE 4 SETS
    Last edited by goldtravel; 05-31-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtravel View Post
    Thinking of this for my new routine, 3 days on 1 off and 3 on 1 off, then repeat. i am looking for size/strenght

Chest/back

INCLINE BENCH 3 SETS
    FLAT BENCH 3 SETS
    FLYES 3 SETS
    DEADLIFT 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLUPS 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLDOWNS 3 SETS
    SEATED ROW 3 SETS

Delts/Bi's/Tri's

SHOULDER PRESS 3 SETS
    FRONT RAISE 2 SETS
    UPRIGHT ROW 2 SETS
    STANDING CURL 3 SETS
    SEATED CURL 3 SETS
    DIPS 2 SETS
    CLOSE GRIP PRESS 2 SETS
    OVERHEAD PRESS 2 SETS

Quads/hams/calves

SQUATS 4 SETS
    LEG EXTENSIONS 4 SETS
    LEG CURLS 3 SETS
    LUNGES 2 SETS
    LEG CURLS 4 SETS
    CALF RAISE 4 SETS

OFF DAY

Chest/back

FLAT BENCH 3 SETS
    DECLINE BENCH 3 SETS
    FLYES 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLUPS 3 SETS
    WIDE PULLDOWNS 3 SETS
    SEATED ROW 3 SETS
    T BAR ROW 2 SETS

Delts/Bi's/Tri's

FRONT RAISE 3 SETS
    UPRIGHT ROW 3 SETS
    STANDING CURL 3 SETS
    SEATED CURL 3 SETS
    DIPS 3 SETS
    TRICEP EXTENSIONS 3 SETS

Quads/Hams/Calves

SQUATS 4 SETS
    FRONT SQUATS 3 SETS
    SINGLE LEG EXTENSIONS 4 SETS
    SINGLE LEG CURLS 3 SETS
    STIFF LEG DEADLIFT 4 SETS
    SEATED CALF RAISE 4 SETS
    split looks good although lets say the 3 on 1 off

mon-1
    tues-2
    w-3
    thur-off
    fri-1
    sat-2
    sun-off
    monday-day 3

thats how i wold run it... if your lookin size strength 4 reps max using O load principle first 2 sets all compound movements

3 days on 2 days off would work real well with that schedule if you did quads glutes on day 3 to give 2 extra days

split looks good although lets say the 3 on 1 off

mon-1
    tues-2
    w-3
    thur-off
    fri-1
    sat-2
    sun-off
    monday-day 3

thats how i wold run it... if your lookin size strength 4 reps max using O load principle first 2 sets all compound movements

3 days on 2 days off would work real well with that schedule if you did quads glutes on day 3 to give 2 extra days
    Wouldn't follow days be more efficient than gearing it mon-sun? that way if you miss a day you don't screw up your whole schedule? and most of the time I find it hard to split things properly over 7 days.

3 days on and 2 days off I was considering, I can definately do that. one other question I have very small traps, would it be smart to squeeze some shrugs into the mix, if so where would I put them. Thanks fir the reply, it's always a pleasure reading your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by TractionIssues View Post
    Wouldn't follow days be more efficient than gearing it mon-sun? that way if you miss a day you don't screw up your whole schedule? and most of the time I find it hard to split things properly over 7 days.
    you can do both, i was citing an example of a 5-day weekly workout using a 3 day split. what you should focus on is over training the muscles in your splits and having ample amount of time to allow for recovery... if those two components are in place, it really does not matter whats worked out what days.

3 days on and 2 days off I was considering, I can definately do that. one other question I have very small traps, would it be smart to squeeze some shrugs into the mix, if so where would I put them. Thanks fir the reply, it's always a pleasure reading your posts.
    absolutely, i have to work out calves/rear delts/traps because those are my lagging muscle groups more frequently. i would throw 4 sets of shrugs on your delts day right after delts or on your quads day. thanks for the thanks lol

Sorry for all the questions but would decline bench be considered a compound movement, what about shoulder press, I know squats flat bench, and deadlifts are compound could you please tell me which other excercises are as well?

Sorry for all the questions but would decline bench be considered a compound movement, what about shoulder press, I know squats flat bench, and deadlifts are compound could you please tell me which other excercises are as well?
    please fire away tahts why i made the therad lol... well the fundamental diff between compound and "isolation" exercises is compound use multiple muscle groups as opposed to less. now, it is anatomcially IMPOSSIBLE to isolate a muscle group, pretty obvious. now, take for example triceps rope ext-triceps, and flat bench-anterior delts, chest, triceps.

the shoulder press works the anterior/medial delts, i guess the barbell could be considered compound, althought i would NEVER apply the 4 rep max here. i would stick the 4 rep max to 1-2 sets of squats/hack squats/front squats, flat/incline/decline bench, leg press, deadlifts (another compound). other than that if you want to maximize whtie twitch go 6 reps because 4 would cause sloppy form with the military press as you arch yuor back.

^^ just added that question to my FAQ as well

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    whats the most cardio i can do and still keep strength gain's up..

not into muscle, just powerlifting. right now I am training wanting to get my Bench up to the 515 mark raw. but I also need to improve my cardio, for the military. I have no problem passing the two mile run, but its not where i was two years ago and want my cardio to be back up there.

if i switched to block training m-w-f, could i also run 2-3miles four days a week without burning out my CNS?

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    whats the most cardio i can do and still keep strength gain's up..

not into muscle, just powerlifting. right now I am training wanting to get my Bench up to the 515 mark raw. but I also need to improve my cardio, for the military. I have no problem passing the two mile run, but its not where i was two years ago and want my cardio to be back up there.

if i switched to block training m-w-f, could i also run 2-3miles four days a week without burning out my CNS?
    i would do cardio post workout and start by 20-30 minutes 2x weekly 1.5 minutes at 80-90% HR (great at achieving v02 max) followed by a 3 min walk low intensity 60-65% HR. every 2 weeks jack that up so you do not plateua. then the once a week i would do 30 minutes post workout low intensity (any equipment) HR at 65%. the mile runs are not recommmended because you are in a catabolic state after your workout. if you want to preserve muscle those are the two best options, id recommend because high intensity for prolonged periods of tiems in glycogen depleted statescan=muscle loss.

Hey forgot to add triceps on delt and trap day. What would you suggest for triceps? order of exercises, not really sure. I usually go with weighted dips then an overhead extension- dumbell then tricep pushdown.

Hey forgot to add triceps on delt and trap day. What would you suggest for triceps? order of exercises, not really sure. I usually go with weighted dips then an overhead extension- dumbell then tricep pushdown.
    those exercises are fine

Alphatier is offline Member
    Did legs today, and I gotta say they're fried as always, thou less sets were needed lol.

So I'm gonna write up what I did and let you comment on reps.

Here we go:

Squats
    Set 1(Warm-Up): 135x10
    Set 2(warm-Up): 185x8
    Set 3(Warm-Up): 225x8
    Set 4: 275x6 (could've maybe gone further, but was trying to do everything with good form, and trying not to mess up my back)
    Set 5: 275x6
    Set 6: 245x8

SLDL
    Set 1: 265x6
    Set 2: 265x6
    Set 3: 245x8

Leg Press(wasn't sure if you count that as a compound lift, so I went for 8 reps)
    Sets 1-3: 580x8

Leg Curl Lying:
    Sets 1-2: 125x8
    Set 3: 120x8

Leg Extension
    Sets 1-2: 215x8
    Set 3: 215x6

What you think about the rep range? Where are tweaks needed?

Thanks
    Set 6:

Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    Did legs today, and I gotta say they're fried as always, thou less sets were needed lol.

So I'm gonna write up what I did and let you comment on reps.

Here we go:

Squats
    Set 1(Warm-Up): 135x10
    Set 2(warm-Up): 185x8
    Set 3(Warm-Up): 225x8
    Set 4: 275x6 (could've maybe gone further, but was trying to do everything with good form, and trying not to mess up my back)
    Set 5: 275x6
    Set 6: 245x8

SLDL
    Set 1: 265x6
    Set 2: 265x6
    Set 3: 245x8

Leg Press(wasn't sure if you count that as a compound lift, so I went for 8 reps)
    Sets 1-3: 580x8

Leg Curl Lying:
    Sets 1-2: 125x8
    Set 3: 120x8

Leg Extension
    Sets 1-2: 215x8
    Set 3: 215x6
    but why leg ext here? you have enough sets for quads, and youd be trying to isolate hams doing lying leg curls, so even if you were to keep this is should be before lying leg curls.

What you think about the rep range? Where are tweaks needed?

Thanks
    Set 6:

those reps are fine, if your looking to maximize strength you could go as low as 4 reps for the first couple sets of squats, leg press.

Alphatier is offline Member
    The reason leg extension is my last exercise is because I always did 1 Sets Quads 1 Sets Hams and so on.

So would you say that I should do them right after Leg Press, and then end it with leg curls?

Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    The reason leg extension is my last exercise is because I always did 1 Sets Quads 1 Sets Hams and so on.

So would you say that I should do them right after Leg Press, and then end it with leg curls?
    if you are supersetting quads/hams that would be fine just rest double the time. otherwise if its just straight sets do them after.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    beyond failure techniques would constittute drop sets, or anything over 100 percent intensity, which i do NOT recommend because of the unecessary tension applied to the joints/tendons which can 1-lead to joint/tendon issues and 2-overtraining.
    I'm still finding this hard to understand.

I'm actually a qualified personal trainer here in the UK. I also have a qualification in injury rehabilitation and sports massge therapy. The company I did it with is called Permier Training International and there probably the best in the biz here in the UK. Along with YMCA.

On my course, hypoertrophy was only defined by high volume. You must increase the volume to attain hypertrophy. But we both know thats not the case. HIT goes against that idea and is a very good way of building muscle.

Overtraining shouldnt occur if breaks are taken when your told too (by your body). I agree that training beyond failure is not the best for joints, tendons and ligaments, this was raised by my tutor too. But there are thousands of bodybuilders out there, training HIT and avoiding injury's of this kind. How can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    I'm still finding this hard to understand.

I'm actually a qualified personal trainer here in the UK. I also have a qualification in injury rehabilitation and sports massge therapy. The company I did it with is called Permier Training International and there probably the best in the biz here in the UK. Along with YMCA.

On my course, hypoertrophy was only defined by high volume. You must increase the volume to attain hypertrophy. But we both know thats not the case. HIT goes against that idea and is a very good way of building muscle.

Overtraining shouldnt occur if breaks are taken when your told too (by your body). I agree that training beyond failure is not the best for joints, tendons and ligaments, this was raised by my tutor too. But there are thousands of bodybuilders out there, training HIT and avoiding injury's of this kind. How can that be?
    well, first i want to say thank you for bringing something debatable to the table and a respectable point of view along with crudentials, i was a proud trainer of the YMCA but have left for other reasons.

that's exactly my point in whcih we both agree on (IN BOLD), you have to understand that my recommendations go out to the general public, and the fact that everybody is different nullifies either of our arguments. i personally do not trained beyond failure, hence forced reps and believe that by doing so, as we both agree on is not best for the joints. i am not into competitive BB, any my joint health means alot to me as i am young and want to have a long long career in exercise. people such as ronnie rowland and myself, dont agree with training beyond failure because of the risks given at hand, and we both believe that forced reps are not necessary in one's routine. its just our opinion, to each his own. the fact is that its more likely to lead to joint/tendon problems than a straight set to failure would. a strtaight set done at 100% intensity in the 4 rep max range is suffiecient enough for hypertrophy, a drop set in the 20 rep range cannot be comparable to maximizing white twitch muscle fibers (strength) but will add unecessary amount of stress to the joints/tendons. but hey, to each his own, glad to have somebody challeng me for a change thou..

[QUOTE=Swifto;4667534]I'm still finding this hard to understand.

Overtraining shouldnt occur if breaks are taken when your told too (by your body). I agree that training beyond failure is not the best for joints, tendons and ligaments, this was raised by my tutor too. But there are thousands of bodybuilders out there, training HIT and avoiding injury's of this kind. How can that be?[/QUOTE

yes, but it certainly can.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information