Twin is offline Associate Member

got damn... Dumbell shrugs... my palms!!! is 20-25 rep range to much?

I been doing 10-15 rep range for dumbbell shoulder press and im currently at 80lb dumbbells. and after like the 9th rep, i cant shrug no more because of the inside of my hands. i can feel my skin peeling like a banana. i was thinking of lowering the weight and doing a 20-25 rep range. but im not sure if thats to much reps.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    4-6 reps for strength and size
    7-12 for endurance
    12-24 for stamina

I wear gloves and hooks for shoulders just did today with back/bi

360 set 5 6 reps
    all other working sets are to 12-24
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

busybody is offline Junior Member
    using lifting straps always helps. but keep in mind too, you gotta let your hands harden up.
    your skin will harden after awhile from lifting heavy weight, and that will help with your entire
    routine and even in everyday life (getting workers hands).
    80 lbs isn't heavy (sorry, or at least for me), so work into it.
    I personally wouldn't start using straps with 80lbs. maybe take it down a little weight, and do some
    extra reps, but your hands will get used to it.

Mr Tick is offline Associate Member
    I know you have been working out for a while and im surprised ur hands are not hardened by now. I have never had my hands hurt during shoulder press but do on occasion for shrugs. I know some of the DB's at the gym are a bit harder on the hands then others. For me personally i just try and fight through it. I dont want to use straps because i feel that not using them is working my hands and grip strength as well. If my hands have had it before i have finished my shrugs then I find another machine in the gym that i can do shrugs on. For me there is a shrug stand and the bars have a leather rap on them. But there is also a flat chest bench that you use plates on. I will try and get the name off of it today so i can show you a picture. Remember be creative in the gym. Just because something is used for one muscle group does not mean that you cant make it work for something else.

By the way I dont believe i ever told you but
    GREAT TRANSFORMATION!!! Your avy pic is awesome.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Use straps and start using more weight, its a very tough tissue so work with various rep ranges and see which one suits you better for growth.

Twin is offline Associate Member
    thx for the responses. I am going to give straps a try. (only for dumbbell shrugs)

Here is where it hurts me.

i have blisters there.

its like the tiny things that pop out of the dumbbell to help grip it poke through my skin. hard to explain. i am going to just use straps.

and mr trick yeah for sure. i know the bench press machine u could do shrugs on it. but its to wide for me. i prefer the weights close to my side.

also a squat machine, i saw someone doing shrugs on that, i might give that a try to.

devildog1967 is offline Associate Member
    Stop using hand cream lol.. then your hand will toughen up..

Thread Information