Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Like Tree3127Likes

Thread: August Most Improved Competition [ENTRY OPEN until start]

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think I want to join this one... I chickened out of the last one, mostly out of excessive low self-esteem, sprinkled with a bit of self loathing. But the last competition really inspired me, and while I didn't say much, I kept tabs on it the entire time. I really hate the idea of posting pictures of myself, but I guess if there's anywhere to do it, here is the place.

I'm working through a bicep injury that's keeping me from doing direct bicep work, and I've mostly just done power lifting, but roughly my plan will be this: two heavy days with low reps, 3 hypertrophy days with high reps. I'm just wrapping up a small 6 week cycle, so I'll only be doing trt for the first 6-8 weeks, then I'll evaluate what I need to do. As for diet, I've not been doing great the past month with all the travel I do for work, but I think I'll go 300 to 500 calories below maintenance for the first 6 weeks and then see where I'm at. Honestly I could afford to do more as I'm rather pudgy currently... And I'm drooling over that calzone posted above... But I'd like to keep what little muscle i have. I've never done cardio consistently, but i think I'll start with some low intensity morning walks with a weighted vest.

I'm very open to critique and suggestions so if anyone has some, I'm happy to listen. I'll post pictures today (but like others said, I don't care if people wait until this weekend for whatever reason).

Best of luck everyone!
    C-

Stop over-thinking, simplicity facilitate many things.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    I think I want to join this one... I chickened out of the last one, mostly out of excessive low self-esteem, sprinkled with a bit of self loathing. But the last competition really inspired me, and while I didn't say much, I kept tabs on it the entire time. I really hate the idea of posting pictures of myself, but I guess if there's anywhere to do it, here is the place.

I'm working through a bicep injury that's keeping me from doing direct bicep work, and I've mostly just done power lifting, but roughly my plan will be this: two heavy days with low reps, 3 hypertrophy days with high reps. I'm just wrapping up a small 6 week cycle, so I'll only be doing trt for the first 6-8 weeks, then I'll evaluate what I need to do. As for diet, I've not been doing great the past month with all the travel I do for work, but I think I'll go 300 to 500 calories below maintenance for the first 6 weeks and then see where I'm at. Honestly I could afford to do more as I'm rather pudgy currently... And I'm drooling over that calzone posted above... But I'd like to keep what little muscle i have. I've never done cardio consistently, but i think I'll start with some low intensity morning walks with a weighted vest.

I'm very open to critique and suggestions so if anyone has some, I'm happy to listen. I'll post pictures today (but like others said, I don't care if people wait until this weekend for whatever reason).

Best of luck everyone!
    C-

Glad to have you aboard. No excuses only results.
    Charlie67 likes this.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Bout to take some pics, load up on carbs and go hit the gym. Leg day

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member

Best of luck everyone!
    C-

Welcome aboard!
    Charlie67 likes this.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Excellent Charlie mate. Best of luck

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using Tapatalk
    Charlie67 likes this.

Come on Charlie, you'll be glad you did! For me it's not about winning, but pushing myself to do better. Being in these comps really helps motivate me. Hopefully I stay healthy this time, I plan to push myself hard this time. I have a goal to see my abs by june next year, so it's time to start pushing!

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member

Best of luck everyone!
    C-

If you would like to show us the numbers you come up with TDEE - 500 and your macro split I am sure someone could either say it's spot on or suggest something different. They are your competition, but are also here to help!
    Here is a song for you to walk to or slow jog. Used to be one of my favorites when I was a drill instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQuscVC3f0

Welcome aboard and good luck .... dig deep and motivate!

KittyO1 is offline Female Member
    @charlie67 very glad you’re in! I completely understand not feeling comfortable posting pics but stepping out of our comfort zone will give us that push and get more motivated!
    Charlie67 and PeanutbutterDC like this.

~“We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 15:11~‬ *NLT‬‬
    ‬‬

Alright guys, I'm gonna ask for help with diet on this one, as that's my biggest weakness. I think I know what do, but I want to make sure, so I'm gonna start posting what I'm eating. I'm not going to post every day, because most days will be pretty much be the same. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I will start tonight by posting today's meals

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    Alright guys, I'm gonna ask for help with diet on this one, as that's my biggest weakness. I think I know what do, but I want to make sure, so I'm gonna start posting what I'm eating. I'm not going to post every day, because most days will be pretty much be the same. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I will start tonight by posting today's meals
    Here's your 1st tip, don't eat what you posted yesterday

Btw, my goals are to lose as much fat as possible, while keeping as much muscle as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Here's your 1st tip, don't eat what you posted yesterday
    Yea, cant promise that wont happen once a week...lol
    Mr.BB likes this.

Yea, cant promise that wont happen once a week...lol
    Messing with you buddy

Yeah, one cheat meal per week is fine, but try not to over eat on the cheat meal, or it will bite you the ass. Overeating on cheat meals has a afterwards hunger effect on me.

For me diet is all about meal prep, there is very few restaurants I can eat if I'm dieting... Well, in fact, only one around me lol.
    The problem is if I'm out on business trip, or lunches the whole diet goes out the window, so you got to do what you can and still keep motivated to do it.
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

I got a PM that we have too many judges. Please chip in and offer your opinion. The PM said it becomes overcomplicated with too many judges. My thoughts behind the points system and many judges is it lessens the bias impact. In the January competition two judges gave tarmyg the win, two gave charger the win, one gave guitarzan the win. My thought was that your placing is more fair the more people get to vote, since the judges don't have to agree with each other. How should we do folks?

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinmuscles View Post
    I got a PM that we have too many judges. Please chip in and offer your opinion. The PM said it becomes overcomplicated with too many judges. My thoughts behind the points system and many judges is it lessens the bias impact. In the January competition two judges gave tarmyg the win, two gave charger the win, one gave guitarzan the win. My thought was that your placing is more fair the more people get to vote, since the judges don't have to agree with each other. How should we do folks?
    I agree That lots of judges works well with the points system. Can't see any issues with it. A more varied point of view is good to have

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using Tapatalk

Just make sure you don't forget any of them.

Yes, I'm cranky didn't sleep enough

Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    Here is a song for you to walk to or slow jog. Used to be one of my favorites when I was a drill instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQuscVC3f0

Welcome aboard and good luck .... dig deep and motivate!
    That's fantastic, lol. It is oddly motivating, and almost forces you to walk to the rhythm. I have three kids, I might make them march with me.

Btw, my goals are to lose as much fat as possible, while keeping as much muscle as possible
    I think that's likely everyone's goal, I know its mine!

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I also feel more is better. Judging is probably pretty hard and is subjective, can be biased towards what that person struggles with. I know it's total transformation fat lose and muscle gain. But, someone may weigh fat lose as the harder thing to do and put more emphasis on that or visa versa.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

I agree with the others...more judges is better.

~“We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 15:11~‬ *NLT‬‬
    ‬‬

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree more judges the better. It is all subjective. The resolution of the photos, the lighting, trying to compare the same body part with different poses, different angles, etc etc.
    Subconsciously, I am sure that each judge has a specific body part .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm good with the amount of judges

Messing with you buddy

Yeah, one cheat meal per week is fine, but try not to over eat on the cheat meal, or it will bite you the ass. Overeating on cheat meals has a afterwards hunger effect on me.

For me diet is all about meal prep, there is very few restaurants I can eat if I'm dieting... Well, in fact, only one around me lol.
    The problem is if I'm out on business trip, or lunches the whole diet goes out the window, so you got to do what you can and still keep motivated to do it.
    You are correct, when I over eat on cheat meals, it very hard the next day. I had got in the habit of not doing that, like only eat two pieces of pizza, then salad. I'm back to eating 6 or 8 pieces now, bout to stop that.

I think that's likely everyone's goal, I know its mine!
    Yea, for us fat guys anyway...lol
    I'm sure some guys will be concentrating more on adding muscle

Attachment 173645
    I'm extremely happy, been trying to build my leg strength back after taking over a year off from training them cause of back injury. When I recently started back I struggled with 135lb. This morning I did 225 for 12 reps like it was nothing, then 275 for 6 reps, fairly easy. I could've done more reps, and more weight, but I'm gonna take it easy and make for sure I dont push it too fast. My legs and ass are growing, I'm very happy bout that!
    bethdoth and PeanutbutterDC like this.

Meal prep, so you don't go off the diet. You can meal prep 20 meals which will make for 3 a day plus one cheat meal per week. Then have an additional 1-3 meals that don't require much prep. Lean meat like chicken, veggies, high fiber wholegrains or legumes/beans for the meal prep. This way it's easier to get a clear picture of how many cals you eat. As the weeks pass if you notice the fat loss is stagnating, do more cardio and eat less carbs. A simple and not complicated way to do it all.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Attachment 173645
    I'm extremely happy, been trying to build my leg strength back after taking over a year off from training them cause of back injury. When I recently started back I struggled with 135lb. This morning I did 225 for 12 reps like it was nothing, then 275 for 6 reps, fairly easy. I could've done more reps, and more weight, but I'm gonna take it easy and make for sure I dont push it too fast. My legs and ass are growing, I'm very happy bout that!
    No injury on my part in fact back is the strongest in the chain when it comes to squats, I did 225 too last time 8-ish reps hope to push 275 tomorrow.

Before gym days I could hardly do 125 for a few reps but the leg pressing helped bringing out the power I had in legs and ass, so now I can start squatting with proper loads.

Just make sure you don't forget any of them.

Yes, I'm cranky didn't sleep enough
    Haha I looked back, for some reason I thought I posted yours early on. I thought it was 7 judges so I summed up the points (I even mentioned this in a post) and thought everyone was included. Won't happen again boss

Quote Originally Posted by hammerheart View Post
    No injury on my part in fact back is the strongest in the chain when it comes to squats, I did 225 too last time 8-ish reps hope to push 275 tomorrow.

Before gym days I could hardly do 125 for a few reps but the leg pressing helped bringing out the power I had in legs and ass, so now I can start squatting with proper loads.
    Sounds like we right there together. I love squats, it makes the whole body grow
    cousinmuscles and almostgone like this.

Back is sore today, lats too, was struggling with lat activation in the pushdowns and my lats have gone soft, issue was poor form but finally fixed it after realizing what I was doing wrong.

Chest tonight.
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Sounds like we right there together. I love squats, it makes the whole body grow
    I love them too, in fact I like training legs on top of anything else, but their extremely taxing on my CV, that's a good thing though and I'm sure they will help with overall conditioning.

Fun workout today.
    I have been training a friend for a few months off and on. She wasn’t there today so I was able to lift before cardio. (Allowing me to put a lot more intensity into cardio)

Flat bench: 7 working sets of 5 working up to 130
    Incline 4 sets 95x7
    Cable flyes 4 sets 27.5x12
    **Superset all with ab work.
    Total working sets 36

Cardio today was ~25 mins of Tabata
    (4 min rounds with 90 secs rest before repeating)
    Battle ropes
    Medicine ball slams
    Medicine ball push press throws

‬‬

Meal prep, so you don't go off the diet. You can meal prep 20 meals which will make for 3 a day plus one cheat meal per week. Then have an additional 1-3 meals that don't require much prep. Lean meat like chicken, veggies, high fiber wholegrains or legumes/beans for the meal prep. This way it's easier to get a clear picture of how many cals you eat. As the weeks pass if you notice the fat loss is stagnating, do more cardio and eat less carbs. A simple and not complicated way to do it all.
    That's pretty much gonna be my strategy, lots of tuna, chicken and rice in my future. I plan to eat the bulk of my carbs in the morning, pre workout, then meat and veggies rest of the day

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    it will bite you the ass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	296321_398992190166911_1527502433_n.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	173646

It's ok if I bite this one, right?
    HoldMyBeer and almostgone like this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Quote Originally Posted by KittyO1 View Post
    Flat bench: 7 working sets of 5 working up to 130
    Incline 4 sets 95x7
    Cable flyes 4 sets 27.5x12
    **Superset all with ab work.
    Total working sets 36
    DB or BB?

That's pretty much gonna be my strategy, lots of tuna, chicken and rice in my future. I plan to eat the bulk of my carbs in the morning, pre workout, then meat and veggies rest of the day
    I avoid tuna due to the mercury, may be just fine and worrying too much on my part, but I think it's 1-2 cans max per day. If you get carb cravings eat high fiber stuff even the ones that have carbs. Beans/legumes a favorite of mine but oats and wholegrains are great too. The fiber and the resistant starch gives a very slow release of glucose so you don't get the carb cravings that make you cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post

Looks like an excellent cheat meal.

I avoid tuna due to the mercury, may be just fine and worrying too much on my part, but I think it's 1-2 cans max per day. If you get carb cravings eat high fiber stuff even the ones that have carbs. Beans/legumes a favorite of mine but oats and wholegrains are great too. The fiber and the resistant starch gives a very slow release of glucose so you don't get the carb cravings that make you cheat.
    Depends where it's fished. There's a variety here in the Mediterranean that I wouldn't consider fit for human consumption. I avoid all tuna btw.

Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post

"No" means no Kel.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I can guarantee if you do not meal prep, you will not be as strict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Thread Information