Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    PFM
    PFM is offline New Member
    Thanks Beast. it means alot that you take your own time to help us out with this stuff. Your the man. I knew that it some time type of formula like that to figure your caloric intake but wasnt' sure how to do it. when I start cutting in a month or so, Do I just take my maintaince caloires and subtract 500 or so??
    Thanks.
    PFM

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    as stated in the post i would subract 200 cals (from daily) every 2 weeks. I dont like reducing too quickly as you can end up very low in cals with still more fat to shed and you cant make further adjustments. The body becomes used to calorie defecit and slows fat burning. I find taking 200 cals every 3 weeks keeps me in the zone nicely. I would subtract from carbs first but not to drop them lower than 200g a day. you may find you want to drop them lower but i dont like the moodiness and possible catabolism that could result.

GGallin is offline Senior Member
    Its true I have been following beasts diet for 4 days and I can already feel a difference.

Tbucket is offline Junior Member
    Hey Beast, did you post your diet on here or am I just overlooking it?.....always liked you advice, you offered some on clen to me once and would like to see what the diet GGalin is referring to.

Thanks in advance

ultra40 is offline Associate Member
    Opps double post my bad...
    Last edited by ultra40; 03-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.

PB- i posted this in another thread previously and got no feed back. Thank you for the help!

Critique my diet please...I've lost 13 pounds in the last month and maintained muscle. This is the basic diet i have followed, other than on sunday when i allow myself to cheat (Moderatly!). please let me know if there is anything i should take out or add to finish cutting the next 8 pounds i would like to before i build back up.

7am-Run
    8am- 20g nitrotech and 1/2 cup oatmeal or 6 eggs (4 eggwhites, 2eggs)
    930am-workout and Whey shake immediatly after(40 grams)
    11am- 8-10 oz chicken breast and either brown rice, wheat pasta, or potatoe
    230pm- Can of tuna or 4 oz grilled tilapia
    6pm- Dinner- 8oz chicken/ Round steak / Fish. Sweet potatoe or mixed vegatbles and a salad ( Tbsp fat free italian)
    9pm- Apple/ Tbsp peanut butter.
    Bedtime- Protein shake (casein)

Any help would be nice or suggestions...It had worked well but i believe there are always possible improvements. Thanks

dedic8ed1 is offline Banned
    Quick q about adding a few things to my waxymaise.Would it help the shuttling of carbs and whey if I add some r-ala and chromium piccolinate to my waxymaise or is my body's need for glycogen going to shuttle all carbs and protein quickly enough?I read that these two compounds work together to shuttle carbs in particular to the muscle.

Also now that I can afford a decent PWO drink I was thinking of dropping my breakfast carbs after morning cardio,or take r-ala with chromium piccolinate with my after cardio oats in the morning to ensure that my body uses all the carbs I eat what do you think?

The only carbs I currently eat are 1 cup of oats and PWO.The rest of my meals are protein and fats just to keep it simple for the questions at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbucket View Post
    Hey Beast, did you post your diet on here or am I just overlooking it?.....always liked you advice, you offered some on clen to me once and would like to see what the diet GGalin is referring to.

Thanks in advance
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...96#post3856796

Beast your like the GO-TO guy for diests now lol. You should start charging!

aer_vlad is offline Junior Member
    **edit**
    Last edited by aer_vlad; 08-21-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks in advance
    hey there. you can find most of my diets in "beasts workout log" which is linked in my sig. Gallin has provided a link to his.
    Glad to hear all is well Gallin!!

Quote Originally Posted by ultra40 View Post
    PB- i posted this in another thread previously and got no feed back. Thank you for the help!

Critique my diet please...I've lost 13 pounds in the last month and maintained muscle. This is the basic diet i have followed, other than on sunday when i allow myself to cheat (Moderatly!). please let me know if there is anything i should take out or add to finish cutting the next 8 pounds i would like to before i build back up.

7am-Run
    8am- 20g nitrotech and 1/2 cup oatmeal or 6 eggs (4 eggwhites, 2eggs) I would leave the yolks from this meal a keep it pro carb only.
    930am-workout and Whey shake immediatly after(40 grams) are you adding some carbs to the shake? if not then why?
    11am- 8-10 oz chicken breast and either brown rice, wheat pasta, or potatoe how much rice/pasta
    230pm- Can of tuna or 4 oz grilled tilapia add some EFA here like nuts or avocado or flax
    6pm- Dinner- 8oz chicken/ Round steak / Fish. Sweet potatoe or mixed vegatbles and a salad ( Tbsp fat free italian) cut the potatoe or any carbs at all and add more efas (about a desertspoon of flax or 15 nuts)
    9pm- Apple/ Tbsp peanut butter. eat more lean protein here with efas lose the apple
    Bedtime- Protein shake (casein) good but add more efas

Any help would be nice or suggestions...It had worked well but i believe there are always possible improvements. Thanks
    so we would add carbs PWO but cut them for the eve meal. also eat more pro at 9 and add efas to the pro/fat meals. try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1 View Post
    Quick q about adding a few things to my waxymaise.Would it help the shuttling of carbs and whey if I add some r-ala and chromium piccolinate to my waxymaise or is my body's need for glycogen going to shuttle all carbs and protein quickly enough?I read that these two compounds work together to shuttle carbs in particular to the muscle.

Also now that I can afford a decent PWO drink I was thinking of dropping my breakfast carbs after morning cardio,or take r-ala with chromium piccolinate with my after cardio oats in the morning to ensure that my body uses all the carbs I eat what do you think?

The only carbs I currently eat are 1 cup of oats and PWO.The rest of my meals are protein and fats just to keep it simple for the questions at hand.
    I have tried these supps myself and did not see any difference. The theory behind them are that they increase insulin sensitivity which in turn would aid the shuttling of nutrients. They may have a very small effect but i was not particuarly impressed. Insulin or IGF would be the way to go but obviously both of these compounds can be dangerous where as the supps you are talking about do not. Why do you want to drop your breakfast carbs? sounds like a good way to waste some muscle tissue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001 View Post
    I have tried these supps myself and did not see any difference. The theory behind them are that they increase insulin sensitivity which in turn would aid the shuttling of nutrients. They may have a very small effect but i was not particuarly impressed. Insulin or IGF would be the way to go but obviously both of these compounds can be dangerous where as the supps you are talking about do not. Why do you want to drop your breakfast carbs? sounds like a good way to waste some muscle tissue to me.
    My waist and lower back is where the remaining fat is on me so I'm thinking that tapering my breakfast carbs down to a half a cup for the next week and then no carbs in the day at all except for PWO.I'll take 50g of whey and bcaa's 15 minutes before my morning cardio to ensure the protection of muscle.I'm extremley carb sensitive so I'm thinking this is the way to go for me.What do you think?

Here's a breakdown of my day

Wake up empty stomach cardio 45 min

Meal #1 6 egg whites 1 egg yolk/1 Cup of oats "Which really leaves me bloated"I don't like to feel bloated.

Meal #2 8 oz boneless breast 1 cup of mixed veges

Meal #3 6 oz boneless pork chops

Meal #4 8 oz boneless breast 1 serving almonds

Lift then stepping mill for 30 mins/ PWO 25g whey 40g waxymaise

Meal #5 6 oz 85%lean ground beef

If I'm hungry before bed or it's been three hours or more since my last meal I'll have 2 tbs of natty peanut butter with 25g of whey.The peanut butter helps slow the protein release throughout the night.Why not but casein cause I'm poor.

Buying all the supps I want is very difficult due to my financial obligations.I have just bought some waxymaise and whey just to do that I had to skip my cable bill just to give you an idea.I've giving up my social life entirely so the dedication is there but trying to figure out what works for me is a bit difficult so it's basically trial an error right now.I've never really seen my abs exposed so I'm trying to figure out the best diet for me.
    Last edited by dedic8ed1; 03-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.

nissanfan84 is offline New Member
    I have a couple easy to answer questions that I haven't found covered anywhere else...

When people mention oats in their diet, they are refering to rolled oats correct?

Is whole milk OK in shakes? (I cut mine 50/50 with water to reduce fat/calories)

EFA sources- 1200mg flaxseed oil pills - are they OK? How many /day? fish oil 1200mg are they ok? how many/ day?

Cheese - an ok pro/fat snack?

I think I am on the verge of figuring out this whole food thing but I am trying to tweak it to what I can eat and be happy.

Once I get my diet right and can stay on it for a month THEN I will consider a beginner stack - its taken me a loooong time to get my weight right now I just need to get my diet right to get huge :-D Thank you for all your help that you give us newbies.

Thank you beast!

Ok i have changed my diet and i think this is alot better. Let me know if there is anything else that just doesn't sound right. Remember this is a cutting diet for 227 pounds and 10% BF trying to cut to 220.

Meal 1 590/8/59/65
    6 egg whites
    1 cup oats
    1 scoop whey

Meal 2 550/5/85/43
    PWO shake
    40r dextrose

Meal 3 280/1/36/29
    fish(4oz)
    veggies(10oz)

Meal 4 295/19/3/32
    tuna(can)
    nuts(25g)

Meal 5 508/6/22/67
    chicken(200g)
    1/2 cup Brown Rice
    1 scoop whey

Meal 6 340/5/0/62
    Chicken(200g)
    1 scoop whey

Bedtime 230/12/10/35
    a scoop casein
    Flax(12 pills)

Total= 2800 cal/ 56 fat/ 205 carbs/ 323 Protein

Quote Originally Posted by aer_vlad View Post
    Don't give him ideas damn it!

I'm not sure if this thread is for asking generalized diet questions as I seem to be doing and if not, I apologize.

Anyways, I was wondering if PerfectBeast could explain to me carbs. I've read some about low/high glycemic carbs and what that all means, but I'm still confused. Some people claim that it is not important while the Adkins and South Beach Diet are basied on the low/high G.I. The whole "simple and complex" and "high and low glycemic scale" crap has me slightly puzzled.

So if you could please, in laymen terms, explain the difference in carbs, the whole GI garbage, and when to use them. How many pre workout and post workout? Should this change on off days? And if you could explain some on the whole carb to protein ratio and when that changes.

Thanks. I appreciate your help bro.
    Ok I am going to write this in easy to understand terms (like all my posts!). So any of you diet scientists out there please dont slander me for my lack of scientific phrases and key words. the main point is that this is a thread for young people just beginning there bodybuilding diets.
    In laymans terms there are simple and complex carbs. Simple carbs generally taste very sweet and can be used quickly by the body to provide energy for excercise. The carbs are used so quickly by the body that they can actually give you a noticable energy high followed an hour or so later by a crash. This high and low is part of the reason that many find sweet snacks so tempting as it makes you feel good but not for long! Because of the speed in which simple carbs can be used by the body it makes them ideal for use pre/during/post workout. Consuming any type of carb prevents catabolism (muscle wasting) so they make a great choice around workout to make sure that glycogen levels keep topped up and the body is anabolic (muscle building). These type of carbs are usually high GI (we will talk about GI values later). Simple carbs would include glucose,dextrose,sucrose and basically any food that has had sugar of some sort added (jam,ice cream,processed tv dinners)
    Complex carbs take longer for the body to utilize but they give a smoother and longer release of energy. You dont get a crash after these carbs. They are ideal for any meal that requires carbs outside of the pre/post workout time (although some people succesfully use them in this time too). A good example of complex carbs being used wisely would be eating oats for breakfast. Your body has been starved of nutrients in the night so we need to fight catabolism when we wake.eating complex carbs (oats) will prevent catabolism and give you a slow steady energy release which will keep you going until your next meal. Other sources of complex carbs would be potaoes,wholegrain bread,rice,vegetables.
    The G.I. (glycemic index) is a measure of how different carbohydrates effect blood sugar levels. Carbohydrates that breakdown rapidly during digestion have a high glycemic index (all the simple carbs are high GI). again this would cause a high and a crash in energy levels. Carbs that digest slowly release sugar into the blood stream at a slower rate therefore avoiding the energy spike. This is important to diabetics who would look to have stable blood glucose levels. Now there are many that believe that high GI carbs should be completely avoided as they induce large releases of inulin which could 1. lead to fat storage and 2. lead to diabetes over time. There is much debate on the matter. I believe That both high and low gi carbs have there place. high before/during or straight after workout and low gi for all other meals.
    As for ammounts of carbs this would need to tailored to the individual. as a rough guide i have 100g of complex carbs with breakfast then i workout. I then take a shake with 80g of high GI simple carbs straight after. an hour later i would have another 80g complex carbs. the rest of the day i avoid carbs and eat pro/fat meals only, All my carb meals contaian protein too of course. This suits me but will not suit everyone!
    As for ratios you are talking about macros im guessing. Again these should be tailored to the individual depending on how ones body handles the different ratios. As a rough guide i try to eat 40% of my cals in carbs 40% in protein and 20% in fat. protein and carbs are both 4 cals per gram, fat is 9 cals.

Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1 View Post
    My waist and lower back is where the remaining fat is on me so I'm thinking that tapering my breakfast carbs down to a half a cup for the next week and then no carbs in the day at all except for PWO.I'll take 50g of whey and bcaa's 15 minutes before my morning cardio to ensure the protection of muscle.I'm extremley carb sensitive so I'm thinking this is the way to go for me.What do you think?

Here's a breakdown of my day

Wake up empty stomach cardio 45 min

Meal #1 6 egg whites 1 egg yolk/1 Cup of oats "Which really leaves me bloated"I don't like to feel bloated.

Meal #2 8 oz boneless breast 1 cup of mixed veges

Meal #3 6 oz boneless pork chops

Meal #4 8 oz boneless breast 1 serving almonds

Lift then stepping mill for 30 mins/ PWO 25g whey 40g waxymaise

Meal #5 6 oz 85%lean ground beef

If I'm hungry before bed or it's been three hours or more since my last meal I'll have 2 tbs of natty peanut butter with 25g of whey.The peanut butter helps slow the protein release throughout the night.Why not but casein cause I'm poor.

Buying all the supps I want is very difficult due to my financial obligations.I have just bought some waxymaise and whey just to do that I had to skip my cable bill just to give you an idea.I've giving up my social life entirely so the dedication is there but trying to figure out what works for me is a bit difficult so it's basically trial an error right now.I've never really seen my abs exposed so I'm trying to figure out the best diet for me.
    That diet looks to be extemely low in cals. that may be your problem. when dieting down to sub 10% the body fights against you. thats why its good to reduce cals slowly over time so that you can keep giving to body a little kickstart to get it fat burning again. here you are kind of painted into a corner. You have not lost the ammount of fat you wanted too and your diet is in danger of being so low in cals that you are catabolic (wasting muscle)
    If 100g of oats makes you feel bloated then i would split it between breakfast and the meal pre workout. I would increase cardio to induce more fat burning. I would look at fat burning supps. I would add a further 30 or so grams of EFAs as they are very low in this diet.

Thanks boss,much respect.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanfan84 View Post
    I have a couple easy to answer questions that I haven't found covered anywhere else...

When people mention oats in their diet, they are refering to rolled oats correct? yes or steel cut.

Is whole milk OK in shakes? (I cut mine 50/50 with water to reduce fat/calories) if it fits in with your macros and calorific needs. if not use water, i do as im lactose allergic

EFA sources- 1200mg flaxseed oil pills - are they OK? How many /day? fish oil 1200mg are they ok? how many/ day? yes they are both ok as sources of ***** 3. depends on how many grams of fat you are consuming within your diet and how they would fit in with your macros/calorific needs.

Cheese - an ok pro/fat snack? no as it contains a small ammount of pro but a large ammount of fat. cottage cheese would be a better choice

I think I am on the verge of figuring out this whole food thing but I am trying to tweak it to what I can eat and be happy.

Once I get my diet right and can stay on it for a month THEN I will consider a beginner stack - its taken me a loooong time to get my weight right now I just need to get my diet right to get huge :-D Thank you for all your help that you give us newbies.
    good luck, i would look at at least a year on a serious diet regime before considering AS.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra40 View Post
    Ok i have changed my diet and i think this is alot better. Let me know if there is anything else that just doesn't sound right. Remember this is a cutting diet for 227 pounds and 10% BF trying to cut to 220.

Meal 1 590/8/59/65
    6 egg whites
    1 cup oats
    1 scoop whey ok try and get casein based blend for a slow release of pro

Meal 2 550/5/85/43
    PWO shake
    40r dextrose I would have at least 60g dex here.

Meal 3 280/1/36/29
    fish(4oz)
    veggies(10oz) have the brown rice from meal 5 here

Meal 4 295/19/3/32
    tuna(can)
    nuts(25g) go for 15g of nuts here (gives about 10g fat)

Meal 5 508/6/22/67
    chicken(200g)
    1/2 cup Brown Rice
    1 scoop whey lose the rice its been used in meal 3. lose the whey, too much pro in one meal will be a waste. add 10g EFA and fibrous veg

Meal 6 340/5/0/62
    Chicken(200g)
    1 scoop whey lose the whey and add 10g EFA and more veg

Bedtime 230/12/10/35
    a scoop casein
    Flax(12 pills) buy some flax oil mate its easier!!

Total= 2800 cal/ 56 fat/ 205 carbs/ 323 Protein
    your pro is still pretty high here for someone doing it natty. I would drop the chicken portions to 150g in 3 weeks time to lower cals and help keep the fatloss going.

Hey PB, you mentioned complex cards includes oats and other things such as whole wheat/oat bread..could the equivelant amount of carbs in oats be replaces with toast?.....curious what you thoughts are as oats are about the one thing I have always had trouble keeping down.

Thanks in advance, plan on taking GGalin's diet and revising it to fit my goals, stats, etc.

EVERYTIME I read one of your threads I learn something, thanks again!!!

Adam

Once again, great information. Thank you Beast for all the help!

Hey PB, you mentioned complex cards includes oats and other things such as whole wheat/oat bread..could the equivelant amount of carbs in oats be replaces with toast?.....curious what you thoughts are as oats are about the one thing I have always had trouble keeping down.

Thanks in advance, plan on taking GGalin's diet and revising it to fit my goals, stats, etc.

EVERYTIME I read one of your threads I learn something, thanks again!!!

Adam
    yes they could be replaced but personally I would not. For many years we have totally over consumed wheat. This has lead to many suffering intolerance to it. It is also processed which removes vital nutrients and usually raises the GI value compared to a whole grain like oats. how about brown rice or sweet potatoes? both are an excellent low gi source of complex carbs. sweet potatoes are great when cut into chips and oven cooked with a little oil glaze and some herbs and garlic!

I'll give them a try....thanks again

**edit**
    Last edited by aer_vlad; 08-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.

I eat my oats with hot water and then when its truly oatmeal at a tsp or 2 of brown sugar ( 4 carbs per tbs) just so its edible for me. Tastes great.

Thanks for the help. You hit the nail on the head and answered my questions. Thank you.

Following up on TBucket's post about oats - which are better: steal cut oats or rolled oats? Does it matter if the oats are raw, cooked, or baked?

Steel cut are slightly lower GI but it is not worth worrying about. Again cooking may slightly affect it but not worth worrying.

Also, what's GI of potatoes vs. sweet potatoes? baked potato GI = 85 sweet potato GI 61

TBucket - my mom cooks a pan of (rolled) oats in the oven with a little bit of coconut oil. I usually eat them like that, but sometimes I add just a touch of honey or eat them with milk like cold cereal. These things are only ok if they fit into your daily macro and calorific needs. I would suggest leaving out oil and boiling the oats and adding splenda and fruit to sweeten

Thanks for your help.
    No problem

I'm 22, but maybe you'll help me too. I turned to AAS because the only way for me to gain was by eating like a cow, so I got realy fat over the muscle - pushed me up to like 16, 17% bf. which is ok temporarily, but when I went to cut i lost more muscle than fat.

here's my bulking diet

meal 1: 2 servings oats, weight gain shake (100g carbs, 50g prot), EFAs
    meal 2: 12oz hormone-free steak, 1 cup brown rice
    workout
    PWO - weight gain shake (100g carbs, 70g prot)
    meal 3: 2 cans tuna w/ spinach
    meal 4: 8oz chicken breast, PBJ
    meal 5: 2 lean burger patties w/ cheese
    meal 6: 1/2 lb or salmon, 2tbsp natty pb
    meal 7: Pro5 protein shake (70g prot, 15g carb)

I work 30 hours/week and go to school so that's the best i can do. Every1 hates some food or another...I hate eggs unfortunately.

I also drink ~gallon of water, 4-5 cups of milk a day. It's a crappy diet but so far it works better than anything else I've tried. You know some easy improvements to make??

You rock beast

o sorry, macros

~350-400g carbs daily
    ~ 300-350g protein
    ~60g

35-3700 cal/day

5'8''
    180lb
    11%BF

supps: multi vit, glutamine, EFA,
    Last edited by RapaciousShark; 03-08-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Mbuffguy is offline Banned
    this is a great thread lots of people drink away the results they caould get on the weekends

**edit**
    Last edited by aer_vlad; 08-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.

hugovsilva is offline Anabolic Member
    Well PB, I really don't know what to say about this you are doing. The only word that pops to mind is OUTSTANDING. Much respect brother. I almost feel bad to be giving you the extra work lookin at my diet, but I could really use some tips from you regarding my cutting diet. I checked my caloric needs to cut and have reached a number of around 2100kcal daily. Check my diet.

Meal 1: 2 weetabix bars/ 1 scoop of whey/ 6egg whites
    35g protein/ 28g CH/ 2g fat = 266 Kcal

Meal 2: 35g whey/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35 Protein/ 14g fat = 266 Kcal

Meal 3: 225g chicken breast/ Green veggies or veggie soup
    35g Protein = 140kcal

Meal 4: 35g whey/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35g Protein/ 14g fat = 266 Kcal

Meal 5: 75g oats/ 1 scoop whey
    (Pre-workout) 35g Protein/ 50g CH/ 5g fat= 385 Kcal

Meal 6: 50g whey/ 30g Vitargo
    (Post-workout) 50g Protein/ 30g CH= 320 Kcal

Meal 7: 225g Chicken breast/ Green veggies or veggie soup
    35g Protein= 140 Kcal

Meal 8: 35g casein/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35g Protein/ 14g fat= 266 Kcal

This makes up a total of 2050 Kcal divided this way:

55% protein/ 22% CH/ 23% fat

I know I have too many shakes but my professional life does not allow for a meal in between the main meals so this is how I can arrange myself.

My questions are:

- Are my carbs well divided? I mean, since I workout late in the day I chose to have them at breakfast, most of them before workout and only a minimum post workout since that meal will take place at around 8:30 pm.

- Should I have a protein/ fat breakfast and have all my carbs in the meals that surround the workout?

- How do you think I should cycle my carbs? I know my body does not react well to them. Being the presented diet my diet on workout days I would be naturally cycling carbs when I don’t workout since I would only have another carb meal besides breakfast, and once a week I will have a high carb day having low GI carbs for lunch and dinner and pointing at a cheat meal per week.

Thank you for your time and keep up being one of the most productive members here at AR.

Hugo
    Last edited by hugovsilva; 03-09-2008 at 12:02 AM.

jtmcpherson is offline New Member
    i need help with my diet. i weigh 135lbs. i don't need exact specifics just what i could do better / change.

Supplements:
    multivitamin every morning
    Vitamin C every morning and every night

Breakfast:
    Glass of Orange Juice
    Bowl of Cereal ( Cheerios )
    Two Peices of toast with Jam

Lunch:
    Sandwiches etc. always changes and not well documented

Dinner:
    Steak
    Mashed Potatoes
    Vegetables
    Milk

i have protein shake mix but i never drink it.

thanks.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    The reason why I liked the cooked oats is my mom can send me giant bags of them and I just keep them in a dark cool place. They make a quick and easy snack too. Are boiling oats better then cooked oats? And I thought coconut oil was very good for you...???

I've been reading on anti-inflammatory and basically, if you google anything about it, it is flooded with "you don't want inflammation."

For a weightlifter, is inflammation benefical? From what I've read, it is discouraged to intake too much arachidonic acid... except there are products out ther (X-Factor, Gaspari Nutrition Halodrol Liquid Gels etc.) that actually supplement more arachidonic acid. A study done at Baylor university claimed "arachidonic acid can help regulate protein turnover/synthesis rates, androgen receptor levels, lipolysis and vasodilation." As you probably know, *****-3's are very good anti-inflammatory fats. So basically, do you want to avoid anti-inflammatory foods after you workout/throughout the day or do you specifically need them and lots of them??? I'm just confused on the importance of either inflammation or avoiding inflammation...

Thanks PB!
    You want to avoid inflammation. I wouldn't go to the extent of encouraging anti-inflammatories but they have their medical uses. It also depends on where the inflammation is. I would not stress to much about anti-inflammatories unless you suffer from some auto-immune disorder or any other medical reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RapaciousShark View Post
    I'm 22, but maybe you'll help me too. I turned to AAS because the only way for me to gain was by eating like a cow, so I got realy fat over the muscle - pushed me up to like 16, 17% bf. which is ok temporarily, but when I went to cut i lost more muscle than fat.

here's my bulking diet

meal 1: 2 servings oats, weight gain shake (100g carbs, 50g prot), EFAs drop the gainer it is nothing but sugar and has a habit of making you fat. Use egg whites for pro or at least a casein shake without the added sugar.
    meal 2: 12oz hormone-free steak, 1 cup brown rice ok
    workout
    PWO - weight gain shake (100g carbs, 70g prot) about the only time that sugar is useful. I would say 100g is overkill. shoot for 80g carbs and 50g whey, Buy them seperately so you can mix as you like. Gainers are rubbish
    meal 3: 2 cans tuna w/ spinach you need some carbs here. oats or brown rice. shoot for 40-60g carbs
    meal 4: 8oz chicken breast, PBJ if pbj is peanut butter jelly then drop it, there are much better fat sources out there. a desert spoon of flax oil would be my 02
    meal 5: 2 lean burger patties w/ cheese cheese again is not a good fat source IMO. Nuts or avocado or flax. aim for about 10-15g fat from one of those sources.
    meal 6: 1/2 lb or salmon, 2tbsp natty pb as above
    meal 7: Pro5 protein shake (70g prot, 15g carb) 70g of prop is overkill for one meal. shoot for 50. you dont want carbs here they are not going to help at bedtime apart from adding to fat stores and spiking insulin levels for nop reason. Add some fat. Cottage cheese would be ok as its slow digesting and will keep you anabolic for longer. make sure the pro shake is casein based or it will be digested too quickly.

I work 30 hours/week and go to school so that's the best i can do. Every1 hates some food or another...I hate eggs unfortunately.

I also drink ~gallon of water, 4-5 cups of milk a day. It's a crappy diet but so far it works better than anything else I've tried. You know some easy improvements to make??

You rock beast
    Im not suprised you put on fat. those gainers are truly awful. Hope this helps some.

The reason why I liked the cooked oats is my mom can send me giant bags of them and I just keep them in a dark cool place. They make a quick and easy snack too. Are boiling oats better then cooked oats? And I thought coconut oil was very good for you...??? coconut oil is ok as part of a pro fat meal. i avoid fats in high carb meals due to increased insulin and fat storage. just boil the ots it takes 5 mins.

I've been reading on anti-inflammatory and basically, if you google anything about it, it is flooded with "you don't want inflammation."

For a weightlifter, is inflammation benefical? From what I've read, it is discouraged to intake too much arachidonic acid... except there are products out ther (X-Factor, Gaspari Nutrition Halodrol Liquid Gels etc.) that actually supplement more arachidonic acid. A study done at Baylor university claimed "arachidonic acid can help regulate protein turnover/synthesis rates, androgen receptor levels, lipolysis and vasodilation." As you probably know, *****-3's are very good anti-inflammatory fats. So basically, do you want to avoid anti-inflammatory foods after you workout/throughout the day or do you specifically need them and lots of them??? I'm just confused on the importance of either inflammation or avoiding inflammation...

Inflammation is not beneficial to anyone. The studies done in this area were flawed in my opinion and as usual were rolled out by the supplement companies who were trying to push inflammatory supps. Not only are these supps over priced garbage they are also IMO dangerous. Avoid at all costs.

Thanks PB!
    hope that is of help

Quote Originally Posted by hugovsilva View Post
    Well PB, I really don't know what to say about this you are doing. The only word that pops to mind is OUTSTANDING. Much respect brother. I almost feel bad to be giving you the extra work lookin at my diet, but I could really use some tips from you regarding my cutting diet. I checked my caloric needs to cut and have reached a number of around 2100kcal daily. Check my diet.

Meal 1: 2 weetabix bars/ 1 scoop of whey/ 6egg whites
    35g protein/ 28g CH/ 2g fat = 266 Kcal weetabix are processed high GI rubbish. man up and eat oats

Meal 2: 35g whey/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35 Protein/ 14g fat = 266 Kcal eat whole food. and dont give me that "i cant im at work" buy a cold bag and take the food with you.

Meal 3: 225g chicken breast/ Green veggies or veggie soup
    35g Protein = 140kcal good i would add some EFA here though

Meal 4: 35g whey/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35g Protein/ 14g fat = 266 Kcal crap. see above

Meal 5: 75g oats/ 1 scoop whey
    (Pre-workout) 35g Protein/ 50g CH/ 5g fat= 385 Kcal ok

Meal 6: 50g whey/ 30g Vitargo
    (Post-workout) 50g Protein/ 30g CH= 320 Kcal not enough carbs here. Less carbs pre workout and more for post. shoot for 60-80g its very important for preventing catabolism

Meal 7: 225g Chicken breast/ Green veggies or veggie soup
    35g Protein= 140 Kcal add EFA, you need some more carbs here. brown rice or oats or sweet potato. i would shoot for 40g

Meal 8: 35g casein/ 1 tbs flaxseed oil
    35g Protein/ 14g fat= 266 Kcal ok

This makes up a total of 2050 Kcal divided this way:

55% protein/ 22% CH/ 23% fat

I know I have too many shakes but my professional life does not allow for a meal in between the main meals so this is how I can arrange myself.

My questions are:

- Are my carbs well divided? I mean, since I workout late in the day I chose to have them at breakfast, most of them before workout and only a minimum post workout since that meal will take place at around 8:30 pm. doesnt matter when post workout occurs what matters is that you replace the glycogen you have lost or you will be losing muscle.

- Should I have a protein/ fat breakfast and have all my carbs in the meals that surround the workout? no you need carbs for breakfast to prevent catabolism

- How do you think I should cycle my carbs? I know my body does not react well to them. Being the presented diet my diet on workout days I would be naturally cycling carbs when I don’t workout since I would only have another carb meal besides breakfast, and once a week I will have a high carb day having low GI carbs for lunch and dinner and pointing at a cheat meal per week. Carb cycling is automated if you drink a PWO shake. obviously you will not drink this on non workout days. I would also drop the carbs in the PPWO meal and eat it as a pro fat.

Thank you for your time and keep up being one of the most productive members here at AR.

Hugo
    Hey buddy i would say your cals are starting way too low. Add in the carbs and EFAs i have listed and then after three weeks think about lowering carbs slightly. Do more cardio if needs be. You dont want to waste muscle after its taken so long to build it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmcpherson View Post
    i need help with my diet. i weigh 135lbs. i don't need exact specifics just what i could do better / change.

Supplements:
    multivitamin every morning
    Vitamin C every morning and every night

Breakfast:
    Glass of Orange Juice
    Bowl of Cereal ( Cheerios )
    Two Peices of toast with Jam

Lunch:
    Sandwiches etc. always changes and not well documented

Dinner:
    Steak
    Mashed Potatoes
    Vegetables
    Milk

i have protein shake mix but i never drink it.

thanks.
    Im really hoping this is a joke. None of this is any good. If this is for real then scrap the whole diet and go do some reading in the diet forum. read the bulking and cutting stickies. You will never put on any muscle eating like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information