Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,360 of 1586
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

  1. #1321
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by rxmuscle View Post
    Just looking for a little advice....

    Age: 35
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 159-160.......thats down from around 170 lbs
    BF: 13-15%

    Weight Training: 4 days/week...currently doing no cardio

    5:30 am workouts and working out in the fasted state.

    Mon: Legs/Calves
    Tues: Chest
    Wed: Off
    Thurs: Back/Biceps
    Friday: Shoulder/Triceps/Traps
    Sat: Off
    Sun: Off

    Was doing 20-30 minutes of cardio (treadmill 4.0 speed on incline) before my workouts, but it didnt really seem to be doing anything, so I dropped it.

    I am actually looking to try to drop more weight while trying to maintain what little bit of mass that I have. Just looking to try to get into the single bodyfat digits or right at or just below 10% BF. Just really trying to see if I can get my dieting down and then if I can get down that low I am going to switch over and do my first cycle. I am currenty on HRT...running Test Cyp 200 mg/week. Will be going Ron Rowlands program of reloading and deloading with my workout and cycle when I get to that point.

    Just really looking for some advice on my diet for now. Been doing a Dave Palumbo type diet for a while and I feel like I have come to a hault on my weight loss. I guess that I am needing to add in some cardio although I have heard that you should be able to drop weight and lose bodyfat simply off your diet???
    Generally, yes. If you're eating a hypocaloric diet, you should be losing weight. However you need to be informed as to the composition of said weight. How much is really BF? How much is LBM?

    Personally, I prefer more cardio vs. increased caloric deficit. This is coming from somebody who DETESTS cardio. I know people who eat above maintenance and rely 100% on additional cardio to create the deficit. This, IMO, is a better approach when maintaining LBM is part of the goal.

    2200-12651-025My diet looks something like this:

    1800-1900 calories

    Meal#1 3-4 whole eggs
    Meal#2 5 oz lean meat (chicken usually), 1/4 cup almonds
    Meal#3 30g whey protein shake w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter
    Meal#4 7 oz lean beef, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp flaxseed oil
    Meal#5 30g whey protein shake w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter
    Meal#6 3-4 whole eggs

    Running this same type meal consistently with one cheat MEAL on Fridays to where I eat the same thing as on my diet except for my meal# 4 I will add in as much carbs as I can.

    Looking to drop weight and lean out primarily right now for summer. I will focus on adding more mass once I accomplish this goal.

    Any information would be greatly appreciated!!![/QUOTE]

    Best thing you can do for yourself right now is to start your own thread and post up all this info (stats, goals, diet, etc). You will be asked to post up macros, so you might as well compile that info now before posting.

    Once posted, I'll drop in and see if I can offer any advice. I try to keep this thread steered in more of a general questions direction vs. personal consultation.

    Quote Originally Posted by GiovanniM88 View Post
    alright thanks i just posted my own theard in the nutrition section thanks
    Sweet! I'll have a look asap.

    Quote Originally Posted by 555mjolnir View Post
    Yes I am bulking and that's what I needed to know thank you so very much!!! I am looking at competing in the next 12 months and I am currently in the best shape of my life to this point but like you said we all want to be bigger and thinner so I will focus on the bigger for now and keeping BF in check. I am really liking this cycle everyone at the gym members and trainers are all coming up to tell me saying how good and how big I am getting it is a real boost to my psyche and really has me pushing myself to the ends everyday I leave exhausted barely able to move the body part that was worked and then eat like a horse the EQ is no joke about creating plenty of appetite and thats why i went mid cycle for bf to correctly manage calories.
    Nice!!! Inspiring goals bro. EQ, eh? Have you ever run Tren ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 555mjolnir View Post
    I really do appreciate your help so much and the fact that you take time out of your day to help me when ever I have a question it is a rare person who does such great things for so many others I just want you to know how cool I think it is to have you as a resource. I wish there was some way to pay it back in kind. I wish I had that much knowledge. I getting more everyday so maybe in the future I will be able to help the newbies that come also. Thanks again you ROCK!
    Wow, thanks bro! Feedback like this is all the payback I need!

    And if you stick around, you WILL be helping other newbs eventually. Just ask 405. Most of us started here the same way. I learned a great deal from the guys who were around when I joined, and it continues down the line.

    Quote Originally Posted by 555mjolnir View Post
    Oh just saw the height question I am 5' 9".lol No just kidding I am 6'4".
    Bahaha, can you imagine!?!

  2. #1322
    rxmuscle's Avatar
    rxmuscle is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Best thing you can do for yourself right now is to start your own thread and post up all this info (stats, goals, diet, etc). You will be asked to post up macros, so you might as well compile that info now before posting.

    Once posted, I'll drop in and see if I can offer any advice. I try to keep this thread steered in more of a general questions direction vs. personal consultation.
    Thanks!! I had actually already started my own thread in the nutrition section right after I had posted this. Again, I appreciate any advice that you may offer my way.

  3. #1323
    GiovanniM88 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    24
    alright thanks gbrice75 looking forward to it i just really wanna get this dieit together never had to worry bout dieting intill i broke my hand i didnt no exerise for 2 months

  4. #1324
    ImSore is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Question Gbrice, Im 6'2" 208, and approx 14% bf. Im wanting to do a clean bulk natural. wanting you to double check my numbers if you could. i respond to carbs well and gain fairly easy. I've came out to 3200kcal with a c/p/f 320/320/71 split at 40/40/20. i use kcal calculators on the internet because i dont know how to figure it out my self. wondering if 3200 is too low or not. I appriciate your work on here man.

  5. #1325
    aussie made's Avatar
    aussie made is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    272
    Hi there. I am 6 foot 187 pounds around 15% bf. and I'm on a bulk. I train 4 days a week and my job fairly physical. My question. I worked out my maintaince calories should be around 2355 and you plus 500 to bulk? Problem is. I'm eating 3500 calories a day and my gains have stopped. Why would that be if I'm already eating well over?

  6. #1326
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSore View Post
    Question Gbrice, Im 6'2" 208, and approx 14% bf. Im wanting to do a clean bulk natural. wanting you to double check my numbers if you could. i respond to carbs well and gain fairly easy. I've came out to 3200kcal with a c/p/f 320/320/71 split at 40/40/20. i use kcal calculators on the internet because i dont know how to figure it out my self. wondering if 3200 is too low or not. I appriciate your work on here man.
    3000-ish looks like a good starting point for you. I'd actually drop protein a bit (300g is plenty for you, even 275g would be fine) and bump carbs. I like carbs higher than protein when 'bulking'. Fats look good right where they are IMO.

  7. #1327
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie made View Post
    Hi there. I am 6 foot 187 pounds around 15% bf. and I'm on a bulk. I train 4 days a week and my job fairly physical. My question. I worked out my maintaince calories should be around 2355 and you plus 500 to bulk? Problem is. I'm eating 3500 calories a day and my gains have stopped. Why would that be if I'm already eating well over?
    Funny, because based on your numbers I would have started your 'bulk' at around 2800 calories. If you're not gaining weight at 3500 calories, you either a) have a ridiculously fast metabolism and the 'general rule of thumb' numbers don't apply to you, or b) you need to look at your training.

    How about bodyfat - are you gaining more? Personally, I wouldn't be 'bulking' at 15%, but that's just me. Been there, done that - mistake IMO.

  8. #1328
    Tron3219's Avatar
    Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,366
    I have no question, but I swear to god, if I have to eat another piece of chicken I'm gonna shoot myself

    -Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

  9. #1329
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    I have no question, but I swear to god, if I have to eat another piece of chicken I'm gonna shoot myself
    So... don't! Why do you have to eat chicken?

    Get more creative. My meal from last night - Pescado Encocado (fish in coconut sauce) w/ coconut curry jasmine rice:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-fish-rice.jpg  

  10. #1330
    Tron3219's Avatar
    Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,366
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    So... don't! Why do you have to eat chicken?

    Get more creative. My meal from last night - Pescado Encocado (fish in coconut sauce) w/ coconut curry jasmine rice:
    Because I spend 80% of my time in a hotel with no kitchen. I usually prepare all my meat in advance before I leave my house. I have very limited food choices

    -Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

  11. #1331
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Because I spend 80% of my time in a hotel with no kitchen. I usually prepare all my meat in advance before I leave my house. I have very limited food choices
    Ahh man, that blows. I'd wind up relying on like 90% protein powder, lol

  12. #1332
    Tron3219's Avatar
    Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,366
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    Ahh man, that blows. I'd wind up relying on like 90% protein powder, lol
    Hahaha I used to, but hen there's a will there's a way by golly. I cook 20-30 pounds of chicken and salmon before I leave my house for 10 days and store them in individual Tupperware containers and out them in my fridge in my hotel room.

    -Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

  13. #1333
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Hahaha I used to, but hen there's a will there's a way by golly. I cook 20-30 pounds of chicken and salmon before I leave my house for 10 days and store them in individual Tupperware containers and out them in my fridge in my hotel room.
    Ugh, sounds like a fckin party!

  14. #1334
    Tron3219's Avatar
    Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,366
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    Ugh, sounds like a fckin party!
    It's a royal pain in the ass, but I'm GONNA get BIG!

    -Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

  15. #1335
    ImSore is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    3000-ish looks like a good starting point for you. I'd actually drop protein a bit (300g is plenty for you, even 275g would be fine) and bump carbs. I like carbs higher than protein when 'bulking'. Fats look good right where they are IMO.
    Thanks a bunch!

  16. #1336
    slfmade's Avatar
    slfmade is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    N. Hollywood on Radford
    Posts
    3,704
    You sir have a message in your inbox and you only have 19 days to respond...Better get after it. LOL

  17. #1337
    aussie made's Avatar
    aussie made is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

    Funny, because based on your numbers I would have started your 'bulk' at around 2800 calories. If you're not gaining weight at 3500 calories, you either a) have a ridiculously fast metabolism and the 'general rule of thumb' numbers don't apply to you, or b) you need to look at your training.

    How about bodyfat - are you gaining more? Personally, I wouldn't be 'bulking' at 15%, but that's just me. Been there, done that - mistake IMO.
    Thanks for reply. I may have put on a tiny bit but I wouldn't say much. Mite look into training harder then. I was having 350-360 carbs 350 pro and 60 fats. I now changed it to 350-360 carbs 270 pro then 100 fat. That sound better? Think the to much protein could of affected my gains.thoughts?

  18. #1338
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    You sir have a message in your inbox and you only have 19 days to respond...Better get after it. LOL
    Done!

    Quote Originally Posted by aussie made View Post
    Thanks for reply. I may have put on a tiny bit but I wouldn't say much. Mite look into training harder then. I was having 350-360 carbs 350 pro and 60 fats. I now changed it to 350-360 carbs 270 pro then 100 fat. That sound better? Think the to much protein could of affected my gains.thoughts?
    Too much of anything could affect your fat gains. More than anything else, too many calories is the issue. Personally, I don't feel lowering protein and bumping fats is the answer. If you were gaining a bit of fat, I would have left the dietary fat alone and dropped the protein to 300g... that's only a small deficit of 200 calories. You dropped protein by 80g (320 calories) and upped fats by 40g (360 calories) so you're actually eating (slightly) more. Further, fat is more likely to be stored as bodyfat vs. the other 2 macros, so I don't think this was the ideal approach.

  19. #1339
    LoneDevil's Avatar
    LoneDevil is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3

    Best way to cut 20% to 25% body fat

    I need a diet that will help me to cut my 20% to 25% body fat down to an acceptable percentage quickly. I'm a forty five year old male, that is just getting back into working out after a long hiatus an to be honest my diet has been crappy but I'm in need of a good, inexpensive, heart healthy diet. Can anyone help me out with this please.

  20. #1340
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneDevil View Post
    I need a diet that will help me to cut my 20% to 25% body fat down to an acceptable percentage quickly. I'm a forty five year old male, that is just getting back into working out after a long hiatus an to be honest my diet has been crappy but I'm in need of a good, inexpensive, heart healthy diet. Can anyone help me out with this please.
    Welcome to the board Lone!

    Your best bet is to post up a new thread so all the members who browse this section will see it. You'll get help from plenty of people.

    I will tell you now that nobody is going to write a diet for you; you'll be expected to propose a diet of your own, which we will help you tweak and refine until it's gtg.

  21. #1341
    slfmade's Avatar
    slfmade is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    N. Hollywood on Radford
    Posts
    3,704
    So for the past year or better my go-to diet has been If'ing a carb cycle. Basically running a (High, Mod, Mod, Mod, Low, Low, Low) carb cycle on an "I.F." schedule. It's worked wonders for me, but now I'm getting bored with it and wanta try something else until my cycle. Thought about CKD'ing a carb cycle - alternating between a CKD and a carb cycle on a bi-weekly basis. So something like this.

    Week 1 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 2 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
    Week 3 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 4 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

    (When I say no carb - I mean no complex - Fibrous veggies only are okay)

    You get the Idea. Of cource on NO Carb days when I lift I'll supplement with large amounts of purple wraath (lol) and ECA stack.

    What do you think? I know Keto and CKD diets can help break plateaus but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time, so I thought this might be a good idea.

  22. #1342
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    So for the past year or better my go-to diet has been If'ing a carb cycle. Basically running a (High, Mod, Mod, Mod, Low, Low, Low) carb cycle on an "I.F." schedule. It's worked wonders for me, but now I'm getting bored with it and wanta try something else until my cycle. Thought about CKD'ing a carb cycle - alternating between a CKD and a carb cycle on a bi-weekly basis. So something like this.

    Week 1 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 2 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
    Week 3 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 4 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

    (When I say no carb - I mean no complex - Fibrous veggies only are okay)

    You get the Idea. Of cource on NO Carb days when I lift I'll supplement with large amounts of purple wraath (lol) and ECA stack.

    What do you think? I know Keto and CKD diets can help break plateaus but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time, so I thought this might be a good idea.
    Meh. I have mixed feelings. A few people lately have been talking about mixing up diet styles, etc. and while i'm sure it would 'work' (if run consistently, and intelligently), I'd personally find it annoying going back and forth.

    Further, during your CKD weeks you're never getting that deep into ketosis (I know this is also somewhat the case with regular CKD as per the refeed) ... i.e. you may always feel like crap on those weeks. Let me ask you, have you done CKD (by itself) before?

  23. #1343
    slfmade's Avatar
    slfmade is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    N. Hollywood on Radford
    Posts
    3,704
    nope. I've done 40/40/20 (ish), IF, carb cycle, and combo IF and carb cycle. Almost did the CKD once, but that's when everybody was really getting into to IF, so I went that route instead.

  24. #1344
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    nope. I've done 40/40/20 (ish), IF, carb cycle, and combo IF and carb cycle. Almost did the CKD once, but that's when everybody was really getting into to IF, so I went that route instead.
    You may want to consider doing it by itself first to get a feel for the diet, as it may not be for you - or may work VERY well for you. Personally I wasn't a fan, didn't respond well, etc. but I know others who have seen great success.

  25. #1345
    jaswave125 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    65
    Hey gb rice hope you could help me, my diet has been a mess for 3months and I would like to start from 0.

    So I have my bmr and tdee come up with 3000cals(rounded off) I'm 6'4" and sit at around 90kg probably 15%bf(only upper abs are visible) so based on 3000cal the numbers that I came up with is 300p/300c/67f based on a 40-40-20 split just looking at these numbers i feel like my protein and carbs number are high thinking more of a 250 250. Could you help me tweak my macro splits? I do respond to carb very well.


    Goa is Iwould like to drop to 10%bf.

    Im sorry if my post is messed up.

  26. #1346
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswave125 View Post
    Hey gb rice hope you could help me, my diet has been a mess for 3months and I would like to start from 0.

    So I have my bmr and tdee come up with 3000cals(rounded off) I'm 6'4" and sit at around 90kg probably 15%bf(only upper abs are visible) so based on 3000cal the numbers that I came up with is 300p/300c/67f based on a 40-40-20 split just looking at these numbers i feel like my protein and carbs number are high thinking more of a 250 250. Could you help me tweak my macro splits? I do respond to carb very well.


    Goa is Iwould like to drop to 10%bf.

    Im sorry if my post is messed up.
    Based on the stats you provided, I actually have your TDEE at around 2500 calories, unless you're really active besides the gym. Even though you're 6'4, based on 15% bodyfat you have roughly 168lbs LBM. To put it in perspective - I'm 5'11, 2lbs heavier than you and around 13% bodyfat... making my LBM around 174lbs. 6lbs might not sound like a big difference, but I can tell you that at 3000 calories/day not only wouldn't I lose bodyfat - I'd probably ADD it.

  27. #1347
    jaswave125 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Based on the stats you provided, I actually have your TDEE at around 2500 calories, unless you're really active besides the gym. Even though you're 6'4, based on 15% bodyfat you have roughly 168lbs LBM. To put it in perspective - I'm 5'11, 2lbs heavier than you and around 13% bodyfat... making my LBM around 174lbs. 6lbs might not sound like a big difference, but I can tell you that at 3000 calories/day not only wouldn't I lose bodyfat - I'd probably ADD it.
    Im sorry i did not based it on my lbm i just based it on "raw" weight, anyway at 2500 cal's that would put me at 250p/250c/55f well at that macros I think I can manage that.

    would it hurt me if i would end up at a higher fat like end up consuming 70g of fat? I asked this bec I usually snack on unsalted peanuts or almonds which are high in fat.

    Or should i cut my carbs to 200g and fat at 70g and protein at 250g?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by jaswave125; 04-23-2013 at 09:27 AM.

  28. #1348
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswave125 View Post
    Im sorry i did not based it on my lbm i just based it on "raw" weight
    I never do this. It's a mistake IMO, because bodyfat isn't a metabolically 'active' tissue (for our intent anyway), therefore it shouldn't be calculated to reach our goals.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaswave125 View Post
    anyway at 2500 cal's that would put me at 250p/250c/55f well at that macros I think I can manage that.
    40/40/20 is a good starting point, but I usually wind up tweaking from there. Unlike you, I DON'T respond well to (relatively) high carbs, so 40/40/20 isn't for me. Since you do better with carbs, there's nothing wrong with starting here and monitoring your progress, making adjustments as you go along (if needed).

    Quote Originally Posted by jaswave125 View Post
    would it hurt me if i would end up at a higher fat like end up consuming 70g of fat? I asked this bec I usually snack on unsalted peanuts or almonds which are high in fat.

    Or should i cut my carbs to 200g and fat at 70g and protein at 250g?

    Thanks!
    Assuming your overall calories are on point, lower carbs if you raise fats, and vice versa. At the end of the day (figuratively speaking), overall calories is the most important factors. Until you're down in the 10% range, small macro adjustments probably won't make much of a difference tbh.

  29. #1349
    jaswave125 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    65
    Alright thanks!!! Im lookong forward and btw I've been looking at the recipes section i got to say you have some very good meals for me(sweet tooth) thanks again sir!

  30. #1350
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswave125 View Post
    Alright thanks!!! Im lookong forward and btw I've been looking at the recipes section i got to say you have some very good meals for me(sweet tooth) thanks again sir!
    lol I don't remember posting anything sweet recently except that protein chocolate pudding... is that what you're thinking of!?

    Btw - I got the original recipe from Jasc, just made it higher in protein by using egg whites instead of/in addition to almond milk.

  31. #1351
    thabeastmaster's Avatar
    thabeastmaster is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    FLAWED-a
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    So for the past year or better my go-to diet has been If'ing a carb cycle. Basically running a (High, Mod, Mod, Mod, Low, Low, Low) carb cycle on an "I.F." schedule. It's worked wonders for me, but now I'm getting bored with it and wanta try something else until my cycle. Thought about CKD'ing a carb cycle - alternating between a CKD and a carb cycle on a bi-weekly basis. So something like this.

    Week 1 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 2 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
    Week 3 - High, Mod, Mod, Mod, NO, NO, NO
    Week 4 - Super High, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

    (When I say no carb - I mean no complex - Fibrous veggies only are okay)

    You get the Idea. Of cource on NO Carb days when I lift I'll supplement with large amounts of purple wraath (lol) and ECA stack.

    What do you think? I know Keto and CKD diets can help break plateaus but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time, so I thought this might be a good idea.


    hmmmmm purple wrath and IFing? Perhaps you've been reading a bit by good ol Marty? lol
    i only say that because im currently IFing a carb cycle and so far am LOVING it as far as my ability to stay on track...its only been two weeks so too early to really tell results....weight hasnt dropped much but upper body is leaning out already...

    i go

    no, no, high, no, high, no

    wait, that sounds like it could be a chorus to a song....perhaps....hmmmmmmmm *scratches head*
    gbrice75 likes this.

  32. #1352
    thabeastmaster's Avatar
    thabeastmaster is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    FLAWED-a
    Posts
    184
    ok gbrice....i got a question for ya....

    im 3 weeks in on a cut for summer.....i started at around 185 and am down to 176.....

    Based on what im seeing and feeling, i still got between 5 and 10lbs of that wonderful middle aged man fat on my lower abdomen and lower back....Im thinking the high 160s is where i'll level out nicely...

    Should i recalculate my tdee number and what weight should I put in....

    thanks in advance man....this thread is one of the big things that makes this entire forum a great place to be!

  33. #1353
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    ok gbrice....i got a question for ya....

    im 3 weeks in on a cut for summer.....i started at around 185 and am down to 176.....
    9lbs in 3 weeks is quite a bit... is it safe to assume a decent majority of that is water weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    Based on what im seeing and feeling, i still got between 5 and 10lbs of that wonderful middle aged man fat on my lower abdomen and lower back
    Welcome to the club sir, lol

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    Im thinking the high 160s is where i'll level out nicely...

    Should i recalculate my tdee number and what weight should I put in....
    If you're steadily losing already, why would you recalculate now?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    thanks in advance man....this thread is one of the big things that makes this entire forum a great place to be!
    Cheers, thanks man!

  34. #1354
    thabeastmaster's Avatar
    thabeastmaster is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    FLAWED-a
    Posts
    184
    9lbs in 3 weeks is quite a bit... is it safe to assume a decent majority of that is water weight?
    A bit puzzled by that myself. Once I started my diet, I actually dramatically increased my water consumption. Next would be potential muscle loss...however all my lifts have gone up and shoulders and arms of my clothes are tighter in spite of a very noticeable leaning out of my upper body....either way...im feelin good and trying not to complain about something that so far is appearing to be positive..lol

    Welcome to the club sir
    yeah...well I still havent received my welcome packet explaining exactly what the perks are of membership....ALTHOUGH...i gotta admit...i get more 23 year old trim now than i did when i still had a full hairline...

    If you're steadily losing already, why would you recalculate now?
    Excellent point....I was scratching my head a bit wondering if i was supposed to or not....don't fix it if it ain't broken I suppose....thanks for clearing that up for me...


    thank ya kindly sir!!

  35. #1355
    Trying-Hard is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    433
    Hey gb,

    When cutting, what should a PWO consist of? Can you glance at my thread and let me know your opinion? Thanks!

    http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...ide%2A%2A.html

  36. #1356
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    A bit puzzled by that myself. Once I started my diet, I actually dramatically increased my water consumption.
    Which ironically leads to less water retention... so I'd say it's at least in good part.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    Next would be potential muscle loss...however all my lifts have gone up and shoulders and arms of my clothes are tighter in spite of a very noticeable leaning out of my upper body
    lol... then very unlikely muscle loss. Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    yeah...well I still havent received my welcome packet explaining exactly what the perks are of membership....ALTHOUGH...i gotta admit...i get more 23 year old trim now than i did when i still had a full hairline...


    And i'm married.



    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    Excellent point....I was scratching my head a bit wondering if i was supposed to or not....don't fix it if it ain't broken I suppose....thanks for clearing that up for me...
    Yep, exactly man. That's how I see it - as long as you're making progress, even if it's slow - don't fck with it. There'll come a time where you'll undoubtedly have to make some changes, no point in rushing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    thank ya kindly sir!!
    Anytime!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trying-Hard View Post
    Hey gb,

    When cutting, what should a PWO consist of? Can you glance at my thread and let me know your opinion? Thanks!

    http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...ide%2A%2A.html
    A PWO what - meal?

    I'll have a look - but generally speaking, I like a lean protein source accompanied by a complex carb.

  37. #1357
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,223
    GB, i am trying to figure out how to lay my carb cycle out with regards to my workouts. where do you suggest i put my high/mod/low carb days?

    i feel like i need this change to spark something!


    Monday: AM- Swim (intervals - sprints)

    Tuesday: AM- Bike (i will be using an indoor trainer starting next week) PM- Run (Hill Sprints - then low intensity run/walk)

    Wednesday: AM- X-train (Heavy weights - 2 warm up sets, 1 working set to failure) PM- Yoga / Rest

    Thursday: AM - Swim (just laps, long swim)

    Friday: AM- X-train (Kettlebell/focused on core/lower back) this is one workout i like to switch it up and do a HIIT style workout

    Saturday: Long Bike

    Sunday: Long Run

  38. #1358
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    GB, i am trying to figure out how to lay my carb cycle out with regards to my workouts. where do you suggest i put my high/mod/low carb days?

    i feel like i need this change to spark something!


    Monday: AM- Swim (intervals - sprints)

    Tuesday: AM- Bike (i will be using an indoor trainer starting next week) PM- Run (Hill Sprints - then low intensity run/walk)

    Wednesday: AM- X-train (Heavy weights - 2 warm up sets, 1 working set to failure) PM- Yoga / Rest

    Thursday: AM - Swim (just laps, long swim)

    Friday: AM- X-train (Kettlebell/focused on core/lower back) this is one workout i like to switch it up and do a HIIT style workout

    Saturday: Long Bike

    Sunday: Long Run
    Generally, I'd keep my high days focused around my bigger (weight training) workouts... e.g. legs, back, etc. Save low days for more depletive type workouts - e.g. swimming, biking, sprints, etc.

    Given your schedule, I'd probably do high(ish) carbs on Tuesday and Thursday, starting after your AM workouts and ending before your PM workouts. This will top off glycogen stores for the following day's weight training sessions. Arguably, you don't even need it for Friday's workout, but you can if you like.

    I'd probably do low-moderate (50-100g) on the other days, no real need to have 3 different carb phases with your workout plan, IMO.

  39. #1359
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,223
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Generally, I'd keep my high days focused around my bigger (weight training) workouts... e.g. legs, back, etc. Save low days for more depletive type workouts - e.g. swimming, biking, sprints, etc.

    Given your schedule, I'd probably do high(ish) carbs on Tuesday and Thursday, starting after your AM workouts and ending before your PM workouts. This will top off glycogen stores for the following day's weight training sessions. Arguably, you don't even need it for Friday's workout, but you can if you like.

    I'd probably do low-moderate (50-100g) on the other days, no real need to have 3 different carb phases with your workout plan, IMO.
    thanks buddy i truly appreciate it!

    so, i would do high days on tuesday and thursday, with a low in between? is that enough, or should i do the high on the friday instead of the thrusday?
    Last edited by RaginCajun; 05-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.

  40. #1360
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Yep, high on Tuesday, low Wednesday... on second though, if anything for Thursday, go with moderate. No point in going moderate-high on Friday since you'll really just be fueling up for a bike ride Sat. morning.

    The goal here is fueling for upcoming activity, and keeping fuel intake lower during lesser activity/depletive (i.e. cardio-esque) type work.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •