Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll
    I really like this training protocol. It combines many excellent techniques and principals and is very well thought out. I don't know about some of the exercise selections and I would use antagonistic pairs to increase efficiency during the higher volume phase. But the flow of the plan, protocols and method of causing progressive overload is very good. I use all the techniques myself. The deloading phase in particular is a very important piece of this that many people neglect. Starting with that is a good idea since most trainers I know are chronically overtrained, and just giving their poor CNS a break will likely increase strength gains and the desire to go to the gym and train with intensity. Well done.
    Thanks for the kind words Sonny.

The exercises I listed are mere sample exericses and each individual must find the exercises that works best for them and then incorporate those in the STS.

I can tell you have done your homework!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-09-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids
    I have no problem posting the link.

One thing though,

I think my prime stage looks bit different:

I split the training into days A and B that cover all muscle groups. I just switch day A with B.

6 days a week, A B A B A B one day off.

Diet is just as the guide lines say.

If you are ok with me posting it sill... I will sure get the link.
    Not an issue with me at all. Go ahead and post your link. The main thing is the PRIME/BLAST/CRUISE!!!

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member

moush is offline Senior Member
    btw what kind of form as we using i just read that in one of the posts...is there specific form we have to use?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Proper form for accelerated muscle growth.

Anyone who has been in the iron game for any length of time knows they’ll experience much better muscle development when they use less weight and a controlled form that allows the muscles to work harder without the use of momentum. The muscles are clueless as to how much weight is being lifted because they only know tension. It’s been proven that trainees who focus on the muscle being trained as opposed to how much weight is being lifted will activate more muscle fibers. I’m not saying our muscles only react to stress because no top-level competitor could have obtained their size if they where still lifting the same weight loads used as a novice. The muscle building progress occurs by making the exercise as hard as humanly possible and then gradually adding weight to the bar over a period of time while simulataneously using proper periodization.

Very explosive form is best for power-lifters because their only concern is moving a weight from point A to point B. Bodybuilding is about applying stress to the targeted areas. The form to be used for power- bodybuilding is a bit different than power-lifting. With compound movements, bodybuilders should smoothly explode the weight faster with full power after completing approximately one fourth of the complete repetition. It should take you about a second and a half to complete the positive stroke when performing heavy compound movements.

With isolation movements, you should wait and move the weight faster at about the half way point of the repetition. With full-stretch exercises the muscle and tendons are easily damaged with sudden burst at the beginning of the movement. With isolation movements the positive stroke should take you around 1 ½ to 2 seconds to complete! The controlled negative should be around 2 seconds for both categories of exercises. The positive stroke should be somewhat explosive yet controlled to the point it’s working the muscles to the fullest extent.

Moving the weight too slow (for i.e. a 3 second positive and a 4 second negative) won’t allow you to use enough weight to fully break down the type 2 muscle fibers due to lactic acid build-up. As you approach the end of a work set, you’ll need to increase the explosiveness within each repetition (not speed of the repetition itself) as your muscle begin to fatigue and build up lactic acid. Do not fall victim of using very slow reps to try and gain additional muscle size. This means avoiding the use of slow negatives and slow positives. The only time you can gain more muscle mass by converting to slow reps is if you have been under-training or using very poor form. In these particular cases it’s the increase in time under tension, not the slow reps that are actually making the difference. The secret to increasing the recruitment of the fast twitch muscle fibers that are repsonsible for most of your muscle size and stregnth is using the rep speed I have recommended. All that's required from that point on is to simply increase the amount of weight you can lift in conjunction with extra time under tension during the appropriate periods.

Several bodybuilders I come in contact with think they are using proper form and there not! In fact, many of them will make fun of some guy bouncing a weight off their chest, but little do they realize they too are guilty of just going through the motions in order to get a certain amount of reps or to try and use more weight. Some where down the road they have forgotten the importance of feeling the negative, the stretch, the squeeze, and the contraction of their muscles as they lift.

A very critical component that many avoid is peforming a slight pause before engaging in the positive stroke. Most injuries occur during the transition phase between the negative and positive portions of the movement. For example: A rapid lowering of the weight (negative stroke) prior to moving the weight upwards (positive stroke) will create a scene where momentum comes into play. When these forces come together it can exceed the strength of your muscles, joints, and tendons. This is why you must lower the bar with complete control. This does not mean you should do a long pause, but there should be a very brief stopping of the weight to keep momentum out of the picture. You won’t be able to lift as much weight on the positive stroke when you do a brief pause at the beginning of each repetition followed by a deliberate movement, but in the long run you'll build a lot more muscle and inguire a lot less injuries. I think a lack of education and an inflated ego is to blame for the bad form being used in gyms across the world.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-10-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    FYI...I'll be without internet service for the next few days...I should be back in the saddle by the middle of next week.

Everyone take care and keep training hard!

sweet...the form part ive got down...im not one to try and lift insane weights without proper form. Ive never lifted like a power lifter everything is controlled and making sure the muscle is worked to its fullest. Great read BTW...

Drive is offline New Member
    Buddy boy if you lift like a powerlifter everything will be perfectly controled.
    GURU: I will post a before and after in about 3 weeks.
    I have done well using all the info I have gotten from you. Thanks again for being so quick to answer.

PS... I am still a powerlifter., I am just prettier now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive
    Buddy boy if you lift like a powerlifter everything will be perfectly controled.
    GURU: I will post a before and after in about 3 weeks.
    I have done well using all the info I have gotten from you. Thanks again for being so quick to answer.

PS... I am still a powerlifter., I am just prettier now
    You sound like a closet bodybuilder!

What are good hi-insulin carb foods?

Also, with creatine, when would you recommend taking it? I got the CEE.

Thanks

at the 2 anabolic meals...where you would have the insulin /aa spike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids
    What are good hi-insulin carb foods?

Also, with creatine, when would you recommend taking it? I got the CEE.

Thanks

With creatine I would take in on an empty stomach 10-30 minutes before breakfast (first anabolic meal of the day) and 10-30 minutes before your second anabolic meal.

The best book on the market at the present relating to carbs and the glycemic index scale is called the "New Glucose Revolution". It's worth the money IMO. Here's a few samples.

SAMPLES OF HIGHER GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBS

Baked potatoes
    Instant mashed potatoes
    White Pasta with sauce
    Corn flakes
    Cheerio
    Macaroni and cheese
    Pretzels (over baked wheat flour)
    brown rice pasta
    Whole grain wheat thins
    Rice cakes
    Oat bran
    Fruit bar
    Gatorade
    Cream of wheat
    Honey
    Raisins
    Pineapples
    Dates
    Rice Pasta
    Watermelon
    Cantaloupe
    Papaya
    Dark cherries
    Taco shell
    Whole wheat bread/white flour
    Corn bread
    Rye Bread
    White flour pancakes
    Rice pasta brown
    Dextrose
    Maltodextrin
    Waxy Maize
    White bread
    Quick oats
    Milk (although it has a low GI, its insulin index is extremely high like all milk products (for i.e.; cottage cheese & yogurt)
    Fat free cookies, muffins, etc
    Ice cream
    Honey
    Sugar

SAMPLES OF LOWER GLYCEMIC INDEX CARBS

Bananas
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Green beans
    Oat bran cereal
    Red beans
    Broccoli
    Yams (sweet potato)
    Kidney beans
    Pinto beans
    Ezekiel bread (a flourless, seeded and sprouted grain bread)
    Grain bread with whole grain
    White beans
    Strawberries
    Red lentils
    Apple
    Grape fruit
    Peach
    Lemon
    Fettuccini
    Protein enriched spaghetti
    Wheat pasta (***** 3 enriched),
    Old fashioned Quaker oats or steel cut oats
    Green vegetables
    Most pre-prepared Lean Cuisine meals
    Most pre-prepared Nutri System meals

great info...thanks bro

Tenmoney is offline Junior Member

CNS research?

I've been going back and forth between this thread and Big Kevs legs workout that you posted on. I love all the great info. I'm not doubting you in any way, but I haven't been able to find anything about the specifics of overloading your CNS and how it effects the muscles. I'm just one of those guys that likes to read the science behind it all. (That's the Nursing Student in me.) Do you have, or know where I could find, any info on the subject?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenmoney
    I've been going back and forth between this thread and Big Kevs legs workout that you posted on. I love all the great info. I'm not doubting you in any way, but I haven't been able to find anything about the specifics of overloading your CNS and how it effects the muscles. I'm just one of those guys that likes to read the science behind it all. (That's the Nursing Student in me.) Do you have, or know where I could find, any info on the subject?
    Tenmoney, there's an article about this very thing in the July 2, 2007 Muscle Fitness-ARNOLD 60th BIRTHDAY SPECIAL. It can be found on page 243.

Researchers from Truman State University (Kirksville Missouri) investigated whether the amount of rest taken between sets had an impact on the immune system/CNS.

Here's a quote of what they found: "Nine male college students performed two workouts of 10 sets of 10 reps of the leg press, resting either 1 minute or 3 minutes between sets. They found that the one-minute rest periods caused more strain on the subjects immune systems compared to 3-minute rest periods".

The graphs shown in this article suggest that higher-intensity training techniques by way of shortening rest periods by only 2 minutes increases strain on the immune by an extra 60% on the Lymphocytes scale and 40% on the Monocytes scale. . Now just imagine how much more of an an increase you would get by using beyond failure techniques!!!!!!!

Regardless of what anyone claims, no ones body does well moving rapidly between sets or pushing beyond failure. It's just not as effective for increasing weight load-range and workload capacity as common power-lifting fundamentals. If so, every power-lifter and strongman on the face the planet would be using beyond failure training techniques instead of straight sets and we know that’s not the case.

When over-training of the CNS occurs you are exhausting all the neurotransmitters in the nerves so that now they have trouble telling the muscles how to contract with optimum efficiency!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-19-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks! I'll definitely go look that up. If you happen to remember anything else along those lines, please send it my way.

Blog Entries

Smile Leaving town..

Leaving town on a business trip. Should be back on Friday.

Take care everyone!

Thanks a lot Guru, great info.

Have a save trip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenmoney
    Thanks! I'll definitely go look that up. If you happen to remember anything else along those lines, please send it my way.
    Will do...

Blog Entries

Exclamation Returns you get for your efforts!!!

Returns you get for your efforts

Returns you get for your effort!!!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Leg Training and the CNS!!

How leg training affects the Central Nervous System.

BIGKEVS workout.... over training for legs?
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation "Extreme Stretching" and muscle growth!!

"Extreme Stretching" and muscle growth! Stretching muscle fascia = more muscle size/growth
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Selecting the proper chest exericses!!

Selecting the proper chest exercises!

best chest exercise overall!

chest
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Training has to do with adaptation!

Training has to do with adaptation!

Training has to do with adaptation!!!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Those are some great threads. Keep 'em coming.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Training while using steroids!.

Training while using steroids!

sets, reps & AAS
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation HIT cardio vs MIT cardio!

High-intensity cardio verses Moderate-intensity cardio!

real advice

arobic vs anorobic?
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 10-26-2007 at 09:41 AM.

great reads...appreciate the info!

Guru, after reading everything you wrote about doing Decline bench I tried it yesterday and HOLY CRAP! I have never felt my chest work like that before. I'm feeling soreness the day after that I don't ever feel until 2 days later. I also feel sore in areas of my pecs that that have never been sore before. I LOVE IT! Decline will be apart of my workouts from now on. Thanks for the advice!

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmoney View Post
    Guru, after reading everything you wrote about doing Decline bench I tried it yesterday and HOLY CRAP! I have never felt my chest work like that before. I'm feeling soreness the day after that I don't ever feel until 2 days later. I also feel sore in areas of my pecs that that have never been sore before. I LOVE IT! Decline will be apart of my workouts from now on. Thanks for the advice!
    That's what I want to hear! Now just imagine what your chest is going to feel like after your first workout during the anabolic blast...

oh man my chest blew up! i was sore for 4 days bro!! insane i love these workouts!!! Ronnie you Rock Bro!!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Summaries

Heres a summary of the (3 day per week) STS-"Single-Shot" Slingshot Training System

There are 3 phases to each cycle:

1. Prime: 2 weeks 1 set per body part, low volume
    2. Blast: 4 weeks 4 sets per body part, high volume
    3. Cruise: 2 weeks 2 sets per body part, moderate volume

During each phase organize your workouts as follows:

A.
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Back width
    Biceps
    Brachialis

B.
    Calves
    Lat thickness
    Traps
    Quads
    Hams
    Abs

Alternate workouts as follows:

Monday: A
    Wednesday: B
    Friday: A
    Monday: B

Choose 1 key (or primary) compound exercise and 1 secondary (compound or isolation) exercise for each muscle group. Then take those exercises and rotate them using only 1 per workout so that the above rotation looks like this:

Monday: A Key
    Wednesday: B Key
    Friday: A Secondary
    Monday: B Secondary
    Wednesday A Key
    Friday B Key

REPS- Unless otherwise stated all reps are performed to "good failure" i.e.
    the point at which no further reps are possible in good form

SETS Do up to 3 warm up sets and then perform your work sets as follows (with the exception of abs/brachialis/traps and hams which only require 1 set)

1. PRIME- Key exercises are performed only
    1 set 12-15 reps

2. BLAST
    i) Key
    1st set- 6-8 rep 1 rep short of good failure
    2nd set 4-6 reps
    3rd set 6-8 reps
    4th set 12-15 reps
    ii) Secondary
    1st set- 12-15 reps
    2nd set 8-10 reps
    3rd set 8-10 reps
    4th set 4-6 (or 6-8 reps if isolation exercise)

3. CRUISE- effectively 1st and 2nd sets of BLAST
    i) Key
    1st set 6-8 reps 1 rep short of good failure
    2nd set 4-6 reps
    ii) Secondary
    1st set 12-15 reps
    2nd set 8-10 reps

Summary of Slingshot Training System: (5 day per week) training system

You simply choose 2 key exercises for each major muscle group. Then use both of those exercises in the same training session once a week. If your best chest movement is 15 degree declines, simply start out with that exercise and do the lowest rep-set during the second work set. Next, finish off your chest with a secondary exercise (for i.e.; 15 degree incline flyes). Since it’s considered a secondary movement, do the lowest rep-set during the final work set. You’re hitting each bodypart once a week. The volume changes during each of the 3 training phases but the split remains the same through the entire 8 week training phase. Perform as many warm-up sets as you need before going into your work sets. That can be anywhere from no warm up sets for a muscle group that is getting warmed up indirectly or up to 3 warm-up sets for a cold muscle group or areas that are prone to injury.

Day 1 would be Monday and would consist of:

Chest
    Calves

Day 2 would be Tuesday and would consist of:

Lat Width
    Lat Thickness
    Abs (optional)

Day 3 would be Wednesday and would consist of:

Shoulders
    Traps

Day 4 would be Thursday and would consist of:

Biceps
    Triceps
    Brachialis/Forearms

Day 5 would be Friday and would consist of”

Quads
    Hams

(weekends off)

Day 8 would be the following Monday (week 2) and would be the same workout as done on day one (Monday of first week)

And the cycle continues on- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, weekends off, etc.

1) Weeks 1 and 2 (prime) use low volume (2 sets per body part once a week). Add aerobics if needed.

2) Weeks 3, 4, 5 and 6 (blast) use high volume (10 sets per body part once a week) No aerobics allowed.

3) Weeks 7 and 8 (cruise) use moderate volume (6 set per body part once a week) Aerobics allowed IF NEEDED..

4) Weeks 3-8 (blast and cruise) make up the 6 week mass phase.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-11-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Guru, a little help please!

guru,
    So I've noticed that you seem to like DB press for shoulders, as do I. However, at my gym the DB only go to 125lbs. I can already do the 90's for a set of 14. I know 125 won't be enough for a heavy 4-6 rep set. So... My question is, what would be your alternative? I'm a big fan of standing military press, but what would you do?

Blog Entries

Wink

guru,
    So I've noticed that you seem to like DB press for shoulders, as do I. However, at my gym the DB only go to 125lbs. I can already do the 90's for a set of 14. I know 125 won't be enough for a heavy 4-6 rep set. So... My question is, what would be your alternative? I'm a big fan of standing military press, but what would you do?
    You have some strong shoulders...LOL...Since you have been experiencing some lower back pain I would opt to do the seated version of the military press as opposed to the standing version.

Thanks, I'll see if gives me any trouble, and if so then I'll def go with the seated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT TRAINING GURU View Post
    You have some strong shoulders...LOL...
    Don't be too impressed, it was all those years of cheering in college.
    There were some GO BIG girls that I had to stunt with.

Blog Entries

Talking

Don't be too impressed, it was all those years of cheering in college.
    There were some GO BIG girls that I had to stunt with.
    Ahh..The truth is finally revealed. You have back trouble from lifting hot looking cheerleaders. Something tells me you enjoyed that a bit too much.

I guess the standing military press is the closet thing you have now. You should have stayed in school!!!!!!!!

That's ok, I still coach it part time. So, I still get to stunt w/ hot cheerleaders from time to time. lol

Blog Entries
    That's ok, I still coach it part time. So, I still get to stunt w/ hot cheerleaders from time to time. lol
    I've trained some hot looking (female) cheerleaders. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT TRAINING GURU View Post
    I've trained some hot looking (female) cheerleaders. Does that count?

That all depends how they let you spot them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information