Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    If i am not sore the next day after a intense workout, does that mean i didnt breakdown
    or stimulate the muscle enough for growth?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    If i am not sore the next day after a intense workout, does that mean i didnt breakdown
    or stimulate the muscle enough for growth?
    No, soreness is not really a good indicator of workout intensity or effectiveness for trained individuals. On the contrary if you experience excessive soreness and are trained, this is a very good indicator of over-training syndrome.

After the first few weeks of starting any exercise program, muscle soreness should reduce to almost nothing as your body adapts to the new stimulus. Of course if you do something new that is uniquely different than what you have been doing then you may experience some soreness.

Blog Entries
    I would also like to say that I have really enjoyed answering everyone's questions. I am amazed by how unique and intelligent everyone's questions are. This thread has believe it or not helped me keep sharp and up to date on all the current science. I know for a fact if I spit out something that is not as factually accurate or is not current theory you guys will pounce all over that. I think it is a testament to how much you guys are educated about your bodies.

Thanks Again,

MS

rich1234 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I would also like to say that I have really enjoyed answering everyone's questions. I am amazed by how unique and intelligent everyone's questions are. This thread has believe it or not helped me keep sharp and up to date on all the current science. I know for a fact if I spit out something that is not as factually accurate or is not current theory you guys will pounce all over that. I think it is a testament to how much you guys are educated about your bodies.

Thanks Again,

MS
    Thank YOU for sharing your wisdom and taking your time to address everyone's questions with great detail and accuracy.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    are you familiar with the term "arm pump" as it relates to motocross?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
    As in like your arms feel pumped up from all the jarring from the motor cycle?

yes and the next day it becomes impossible to make a fist or squeeze anything.

what can be done to cut down on this other then conditioning?

also after BP (batting practice) my right thumb (i bat right handed) is always hurting and when i mash on the top of it it feels as if i am breaking up something? whats the deal with this?

Blog Entries
    As in like your arms feel pumped up from all the jarring from the motor cycle?

is there an echo in this thread?

Blog Entries
    yes and the next day it becomes impossible to make a fist or squeeze anything.

what can be done to cut down on this other then conditioning?

also after BP (batting practice) my right thumb (i bat right handed) is always hurting and when i mash on the top of it it feels as if i am breaking up something? whats the deal with this?
    Not much really other than conditioning, the muscles are being fatigued it sounds completely. Do you use wrist wraps and straps when you lift?

On the thumb, is it kind of a grinding sound?
    Is it in the webbing of the thumb.

Sometimes when you break a bat you can jar the hand and the thumb specifically on the top hand, this can also occur if you hit it of the handle or the very end of the bat. Having a ligament problem on the top hand is not unheard of for baseball players.

I would see your sports trainer for sure on it or a sports med doc. The thumb is not one of your fingers that you want jacked up.

Blog Entries
    is there an echo in this thread?
    I guess so I dont know what that was about.....

thanks for the response man...

no i dont use straps...

and the pain is in the webbing as well as from the base of my thumb all the way into my wrist. no grinding sound but it feels like there should be when im breaking it up.

and i guess ill be having a Fasciotomy

Blog Entries
    thanks for the response man...

no i dont use straps...

and the pain is in the webbing as well as from the base of my thumb all the way into my wrist. no grinding sound but it feels like there should be when im breaking it up.
    Yeah you need to get that looked at I can think of three named conditions it could be that is typically seen in athletes. Should be very easy for a trainer or a doctor to diagnose. Again I would encourage you to have it looked at if it has been bothering you for awhile and is not getting better.

Keep in mind I am not a doctor, and in no way should my opinions be used over that of a trained medical profession.

Good Luck to you..

MS

Blog Entries
    Bump....

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    I got one for you

I have been using AAKG (Alpha Arginine Ketoglutarate) at around 5-10g 30-45 minutes before workout for the purpose of vasodilation, but i read something about using glycerin/glycerol at doses of 10-30g for pumps?

my questions are

would it be beneficial to use these together?

what dose would be the best for glycerin?

what mechanism does it work by?

do you see any harmful side effects in the future?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    I got one for you

I have been using AAKG (Alpha Arginine Ketoglutarate) at around 5-10g 30-45 minutes before workout for the purpose of vasodilation, but i read something about using glycerin/glycerol at doses of 10-30g for pumps?

my questions are

would it be beneficial to use these together?

what dose would be the best for glycerin?

what mechanism does it work by?

do you see any harmful side effects in the future?
    Im not really sure why that is recommended. Maybe for energy or possibly for absorption of the supplement???

Blog Entries
    Almost forgot,

Glycerol has very low toxicity associated with it. High intake can possible cause some bowl irritatibility, but what doesnt in high intake...LOL

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    With Muscle Science's ok here's my $.02:

glycerol naturally attracts water...having it in your muscles as well as other cell in your body increases water retention to those areas. it also stimulates adh ...an antidiueretic hormone that prevents the kidneys from expelling water. I used a supp called blue thunder (a drink) it used to contain it ..dont even know if its still around..anyway ...I didnt notice much of a diff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    With Muscle Science's ok here's my $.02:

glycerol naturally attracts water...having it in your muscles as well as other cell in your body increases water retention to those areas. it also stimulates adh ...an antidiueretic hormone that prevents the kidneys from expelling water. I used a supp called blue thunder (a drink) it used to contain it ..dont even know if its still around..anyway ...I didnt notice much of a diff.
    Thanks Jimmy....

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed, in other threads anyways, but what the hell...

Saunas.

Is there any benefit in using them? If so, when would be ideal to use one, and for how long?

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    I have a friend that is way over weight and I cant get him in the gym but he asked me about prescription weight loss pill what do you know about them and do they work.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed, in other threads anyways, but what the hell...

Saunas.

Is there any benefit in using them? If so, when would be ideal to use one, and for how long?
    Well they do not detoxify you if thats what your asking. They are good at helping you lose water weight though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prone2rage View Post
    I have a friend that is way over weight and I cant get him in the gym but he asked me about prescription weight loss pill what do you know about them and do they work.....
    I actually get asked this question a lot as you can imagine. Generally I am asked more about OTC weight loss drugs, but I have had a few that have asked about Xenical and other drugs. Regardless of the drug, diet and exercise is the only effective way to lose weight and keep the pounds off. These drugs labels will often say this same thing.

Here is a helpful link that I send people to from the Mayo Clinic that answers about every question one could have about the subject.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wei...-drugs/WT00013

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Well they do not detoxify you if thats what your asking. They are good at helping you lose water weight though.
    I remember reading somewhere, maybe even off this site. That going into the sauna after a workout can help you recover quicker or something rather...????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I remember reading somewhere, maybe even off this site. That going into the sauna after a workout can help you recover quicker or something rather...????
    There is conflicting research on the subject. Some studies have shown that heat right after working out can increase recover. Other studies say that it increases inflammation and hinders it. There are other studies that have shown that cryo therapy (cold water immersion) is beneficial, then there are those that say it isnt.

Bottom line is this. Proper training frequency, nutrition, and rest are the most beneficial way to properly recover.

this is going to be close to impossible to answer but i'll ask it for discussion purposes

during the school semester i was sleeping between 6-8 hours a night, but since the semester has ended(around 4 weeks ago) i have been sleeping 10-14 hours a day, even after sleeping from 2am-4pm some days i wake up tired like i just slept for a few hours

what could be causing this?

do you think getting into a sleep routine would help?

feel free to ask any questions you think related, however personal

Blog Entries
    this is going to be close to impossible to answer but i'll ask it for discussion purposes

during the school semester i was sleeping between 6-8 hours a night, but since the semester has ended(around 4 weeks ago) i have been sleeping 10-14 hours a day, even after sleeping from 2am-4pm some days i wake up tired like i just slept for a few hours

what could be causing this?

do you think getting into a sleep routine would help?

feel free to ask any questions you think related, however personal
    I assume that you had a descent sleep schedule during the schools semester. Now your in a different sleeping pattern and is messing with your normal circadian rhythm. It takes some time for the body to readjust to this new pattern and will often interfere with your quality of sleep and cause you to feel more lethargic even though your getting more quantity.

I assume that you had a descent sleep schedule during the schools semester. Now your in a different sleeping pattern and is messing with your normal circadian rhythm. It takes some time for the body to readjust to this new pattern and will often interfere with your quality of sleep and cause you to feel more lethargic even though your getting more quantity.
    the thing is, i still go to sleep around the same time at night, i just wake up way later because i don't set my alarm

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ I've always wondered about this as well. Great answer as always MS

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    No, soreness is not really a good indicator of workout intensity or effectiveness for trained individuals. On the contrary if you experience excessive soreness and are trained, this is a very good indicator of over-training syndrome.

After the first few weeks of starting any exercise program, muscle soreness should reduce to almost nothing as your body adapts to the new stimulus. Of course if you do something new that is uniquely different than what you have been doing then you may experience some soreness.

"Would it not be best then to always be trying something uniquely different to increase gains more effectively?"

Blog Entries
    the thing is, i still go to sleep around the same time at night, i just wake up way later because i don't set my alarm
    Also if you figure in the fact that your metabolism is suppose to be its highest in the mid afternoon and then gradually goes down from there. You have already theoritically hit your peak metabolic rate, so now your metabolism is ticking down for bed time. Then you have to figure that you have basically been fasting for 12-14 hours, your body is use to a lot more calories at that point in the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenseno9 View Post
    "Would it not be best then to always be trying something uniquely different to increase gains more effectively?"
    Yes and no, because part of training adaptation is the neurological influence on the muscles and the motor pathways you are building by doing repetitive movements. For a bodybuilder a basic routine that has the same design is going to be your best bet at growth because your body does not have to expend extra effort to adapt to a new stimulus. Certainly after three months of the same routine, then the body has fully adapted to that stimulus and no longer will grow. It will maintain what it has and is basically not going to grow unless you do something drastically different.

It is a good idea to do whats called micro routines within your overall routine. Nothing drastic mind you just something that will I hate to use this phrase but shock the system with something new. Also this keeps you from getting bored with your workouts.

okay, i'm an idiot

i can't believe i haven't asked this yet, would you allow me the honor of adding your scientist thread to my database?

Blog Entries
    okay, i'm an idiot

i can't believe i haven't asked this yet, would you allow me the honor of adding your scientist thread to my database?
    Dont feel bad I had to really think about this one. I didnt even think about the fasting part until I got up and grabbed a before bedtime snack so I wouldnt be fasting all night long.

Oh yeah it is fine to add this thread to your data base. This is in fact a service to all the members, same as your link thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    ^^ I've always wondered about this as well. Great answer as always MS
    Thanks buddy I appreciate it.

Dinosaur is offline Member
    hey man.
    i got a quetion for you i was ganna post a thread about this but i saw your title then i decided to give it a shot and c if you know or got asked this quetion before.

here we go: when is the best TIME to work out?

i gathered some info about this long ago but i want to c if there is any other study that gives a different opinion that support late night work out cause that's where im stuck at right now cause of my hektic schedule.
    here is what i know, the afternoon workout is considered the best or atleast the recommeded one. most pro BB work out A/N.
    in the morning time your muscles r not totally awake and you don't have enough carbs/ energy intake to push heavy weight and might risk an injury, morning time is likely for cardio and light excercice training....etc
    i red this long time ago and i don't recall the source.
    sorry for the long explanation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charrif View Post
    hey man.
    i got a quetion for you i was ganna post a thread about this but i saw your title then i decided to give it a shot and c if you know or got asked this quetion before.

here we go: when is the best TIME to work out?

i gathered some info about this long ago but i want to c if there is any other study that gives a different opinion that support late night work out cause that's where im stuck at right now cause of my hektic schedule.
    here is what i know, the afternoon workout is considered the best or atleast the recommeded one. most pro BB work out A/N.
    in the morning time your muscles r not totally awake and you don't have enough carbs/ energy intake to push heavy weight and might risk an injury, morning time is likely for cardio and light excercice training....etc
    i red this long time ago and i don't recall the source.
    sorry for the long explanation.
    You are pretty much spot on, almost all experts would agree that training in the mid afternoon is the most optimal time. Early morning training is associated with some increase in injury frequency and most notably a lack of adherence to the training regime. Late night training could potentially be worse for recover because some individuals have a hard time getting adequate amounts of sleep after exercising.

In the mid afternoon the body is at its physiological peak for most people. Training during this time takes advantage of the many physical and hormonal processes that are basically ramped up.

The bottom line though is this. Train whenever it fits into your schedule. Sure there is an optimal time but if your not able to train at this time it really isnt a big deal compared to not training at all. For some training during the morning works out great for them. Its really a matter of what works best for the individual person and what fits in their schedule.

Blog Entries
    This study just came out this month if you can find a full text article of it at your local university or library it is well worth it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Effect of High-Intensity Interval Exercise on Lipid Oxidation during Postexercise Recovery.

PURPOSE:: The aim of this study was to examine whether lipid oxidation predominates during 3 h of postexercise recovery in high-intensity interval exercise as compared with moderate-intensity continuous exercise on a cycle ergometer in fit young men (n = 12; 24.6 +/- 0.6 yr). METHODS:: The energy substrate partitioning was evaluated during and after high-intensity submaximal interval exercise (INT, 1-min intervals at 80% of maximal aerobic power output [W max] with an intervening 1 min of active recovery at 40% W max) and 60-min moderate-intensity continuous exercise at 45% of maximal oxygen uptake (C45%) as well as a time-matched resting control trial (CON). Exercise bouts were matched for mechanical work output. RESULTS:: During exercise, a significantly greater contribution of CHO and a lower contribution of lipid to energy expenditure were found in INT (512.7 +/- 26.6 and 41.0 +/- 14.0 kcal, respectively) than in C45% (406.3 +/- 21.2 and 170.3 +/- 24.0 kcal, respectively; P < 0.001) despite similar overall energy expenditure in both exercise trials (P = 0.13). During recovery, there were no significant differences between INT and C45% in substrate turnover and oxidation (P > 0.05). On the other hand, the mean contribution of lipids to energy yield was significantly higher after exercise trials (C45% = 61.3 +/- 4.2 kcal; INT = 66.7 +/- 4.7 kcal) than after CON (51.5 +/- 3.4 kcal; P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS:: These findings show that lipid oxidation during postexercise recovery was increased by a similar amount on two isoenergetic exercise bouts of different forms and intensities compared with the time-matched no-exercise control trial.

Dinosaur is offline Member
    thanks for the info.
    training whenever it fits me that's where im at right now late night like sometimes i start until 2:00am but the thing is i haven't had any problems as far as lack of sleep or anything associated with that... my mind tried to trick me by saying that it might stop my growth until i ve seen a video of kevin levrone in his best shape he use to train late night as well like 12:00am maybe he does cardio in the mornings so that kind of helped me get even with my mind.
    i have another question for you that's coming its about "sleeping" i don't know if you know about much about that subject to answer it, but im sure u have something to say, so i'll get it ready for you soon.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread Information