Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Drank as in water or alcohol ?
    Beer, but it's just a joke.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizz28 View Post
    Beer, but it's just a joke.
    This is a serious thread, jokes are not welcomed.

next question:

in the lyrics:

"We didnt start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the worlds been turning
    We didnt start the fire
    No we didnt light it
    But we tried to fight it"

A) Who is "we"
    B) if "we" didn't start the fire, then who did?

Blog Entries
    next question:

in the lyrics:

"We didnt start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the worlds been turning
    We didnt start the fire
    No we didnt light it
    But we tried to fight it"

A) Who is "we"
    B) if "we" didn't start the fire, then who did?
    "We Didn't Start the Fire" is a song by Billy Joel that makes reference to a catalog of headline events during his lifetime, from March 1949 to 1989, when the song was released on his album Storm Front. The events are mixed with a refrain asserting "we didn't start the fire". The song was a number-one hit in the U.S.

The song and music video have been interpreted as a rebuttal to criticism of Joel's Baby Boomer generation, from both its preceding and succeeding generations, that they were responsible for much of the world's problems.[citation needed] The song's title and refrain imply that the frenzied and troubled state which others were criticizing had been the state of the world since long before his generation's time, but that this was being ignored by their critics.

wow, I didn't know the song ment that.... crazy

Blog Entries
    wow, I didn't know the song ment that.... crazy
    That was not a question.

errr, my bad....Before you answered my questions about said lyrics, Did I already know the answer to it?

(Better?)

Also, Does the Chupacabre actually exist?

if so, is it not of this planet?

Blog Entries
    errr, my bad....Before you answered my questions about said lyrics, Did I already know the answer to it?

(Better?)

Also, Does the Chupacabre actually exist?

if so, is it not of this planet?
    No.

No.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    DSM, when are you going to change your custom title to attention whore?

Charger527 is offline Senior Member
    How long do butterflies live for?

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    "We Didn't Start the Fire" is a song by Billy Joel that makes reference to a catalog of headline events during his lifetime, from March 1949 to 1989, when the song was released on his album Storm Front. The events are mixed with a refrain asserting "we didn't start the fire". The song was a number-one hit in the U.S.

The song and music video have been interpreted as a rebuttal to criticism of Joel's Baby Boomer generation, from both its preceding and succeeding generations, that they were responsible for much of the world's problems.[citation needed] The song's title and refrain imply that the frenzied and troubled state which others were criticizing had been the state of the world since long before his generation's time, but that this was being ignored by their critics.
    Good to see you can use Wikipedia

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut-laden African swallow in no-wind, 50% humidity, 75 degree Fahrenheit, and sunny weather?

Oh, and your dick isn't in the swallow. So, take that out of the equation.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post
    What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut-laden African swallow in no-wind, 50% humidity, 75 degree Fahrenheit, and sunny weather?
    I thought about asking that but I figured google boy would find out quickly about Monty Python.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Women 6

Men 7

...that i can remember of.

5'6 168lbs 27
    NOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! i.e. why you are an attention whore, why you need to make every post funny or controversial, why you have to keep reminding everyone you're funny and gay...

Napoleon complex is a colloquial term describing an alleged type of inferiority complex which is said to affect some people who are physically short. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives. This term is also known as Napoleon syndrome,[1] Short Man syndrome,[2] and Small Man syndrome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    DSM, when are you going to change your custom title to attention whore?
    Never

Quote Originally Posted by Charger527 View Post
    How long do butterflies live for?
    An adult butterfly probably has an average life-span of approximately one month. In the wild, most butterflies lives are shorter than this because of the dangers provided by predators, disease, and large objects, such as automobiles. The smallest butterflies may live only a week or so, while a few butterflies, such as Monarchs, Mourning Cloaks and tropical heliconians, can live up to nine months.

Quote Originally Posted by CSAR View Post

Easy ,

To begin with, I needed basic kinematic data on African and European swallow species.
    Although 47 of the 74 worldwide swallow species are found in Africa,1 only two species are named after the continent: the West African Swallow (Hirundo domicella) and the South African Swallow (Hirundo spilodera), also known as the South African Cave Swallow.

Since the range of the South African Swallow extends only as far north as Zaire,2 I felt fairly confident that this was the non-migratory African species referred to in previous discussions of the comparative and cooperative weight-bearing capabilities of African and European swallows.3

Kinematic data for both African species was difficult to find, but the Barn or European Swallow (Hirundo rustica) has been studied intensively, and kinematic data for that species was readily available.

A 54-year survey of 26,285 European Swallows captured and released by the Avian Demography Unit of the University of Capetown finds that the average adult European swallow has a wing length of 12.2 cm and a body mass of 20.3 grams.4

Because wing beat frequency and wing amplitude both scale with body mass,5 and flight kinematic data is available for at least 22 other bird species,6 it should be possible to estimate the frequency (f ) and amplitude (A) of the European Swallow by a comparison with similar species. With those two numbers, it will be possible to estimate airspeed (U).

Actually, wrong. By comparing the European Swallow with bird species of similar body mass, we can estimate that the swallow beats its wings 18 times a second with an amplitude of 18 cm:
    Species Body mass Frequency Amplitude
    Zebra Finch 13 g 27 Hz 11 cm
    European Swallow 20 g ≈ 18 Hz? ≈ 18 cm?
    Downy Woodpecker 27 g 14 Hz 29 cm
    Budgerigar 34 g 14 Hz 15 cm

Note that even the tiny Zebra Finch flaps its wings no more than 27 times a second while cruising.

If we ignore body mass and look only at bird species with a similar wingspan, we can estimate an average frequency of 14 beats per second and an amplitude of 23 cm:
    Species Wingspan Frequency Amplitude
    Budgerigar 27 cm 14 Hz 15 cm
    European Swallow ≈ 28–30 cm ≈ 14 Hz? ≈ 23 cm?
    Downy Woodpecker 31 cm 14 Hz 29 cm
    European Starling 35 cm 14 Hz 26 cm

By averaging all 6 values, we can estimate that an average European Swallow flies at cruising speed with a frequency of roughly 15 beats per second, and an amplitude of roughly 22 cm.

Last month’s article on The Strouhal Number in Cruising Flight showed how simplified flight waveforms that graph amplitude versus wavelength can be useful for visualizing the Strouhal ratio (fA/U), a dimensionless parameter that tends to fall in the range of 0.2–0.4 during efficient cruising flight.

For a European Swallow flying with our estimated wingbeat amplitude of 24 cm, the predicted pattern of cruising flight ranges from a Strouhal number (St) of 0.2:

Airspeed can also be predicted using a published formula. By inverting this midpoint Strouhal ratio of 0.3 (fA/U ≈ 0.3), Graham K. Taylor et al. show that as a rule of thumb, the speed of a flying animal is roughly 3 times frequency times amplitude (U ≈ 3fA).5

We now need only plug in the numbers:

U ≈ 3fA
    f ≈ 15 (beats per second)
    A ≈ 0.22 (meters per beat)
    U ≈ 3*15*0.22 ≈ 9.9

... to estimate that the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is 10 meters per second.

With some further study, it became clear that these estimates are accurate, though perhaps coincidental.

An actual study of two European Swallows flying in a low-turbulence wind tunnel in Lund, Sweden, shows that swallows flap their wings much slower than my estimate, at only 7–9 beats per second:

“Compared with other species of similar size, the swallow has quite low wingbeat frequency and relatively long wings.” 7

The maximum speed the birds could maintain was 13–14 meters per second, and although the Lund study does not discuss cruising flight in particular, the most efficient flapping (7 beats per second) occurred at an airspeed in the range of 8–11 meters per second, with an amplitude of 90–100° (17–19 cm).

Averaging the above numbers and plugging them in to the Strouhal equation for cruising flight (fA/U = 7 beats per second * 0.18 meters per beat / 9.5 meters per second) yields a Strouhal number of roughly 0.13:

... indicating a surprisingly efficient flight pattern falling well below the expected range of 0.2–0.4.

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

And i haven't even had my morning coffee yet.

Blog Entries
    Not even worth it......
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 11-11-2008 at 08:17 AM.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Why do my girlfriends not mind me having a wife yet my wife doesn't like me having girlfriends?

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    It's in your blood. You can but you choose not to. Again, you can't or you don't want to ?
    it is in my blood. its unstoppable. and i do want to. i want to find a good girl, settle down, start a family. but it gets the point where after a few months with one girl, all i do is make myself find things i dont like about them, then i go off and find another girl that has the things i do like. ive tried to stop it. to control it. but i cant. its more then an urge. its a straight up need. seems like the magic number is 6 months. 6 months is longest i can be with a girl and stand them. now 6 months isnt how long i can be faithful for. thats about a month tops. its not an addiction. its in my genetics. thats all i can say to explain it.

i got another question... when are you, your man, me and one of my girls all going out on a double date fool?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    Why do my girlfriends not mind me having a wife yet my wife doesn't like me having girlfriends?
    G/f see it as a game. They like the challenge of trying to "win" you over. Wives are much more emotionally evolved. Wives view you falling in love with another women worse than actually having sex.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Is there really such a thing as love at first sight?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    it is in my blood. its unstoppable. and i do want to. i want to find a good girl, settle down, start a family. but it gets the point where after a few months with one girl, all i do is make myself find things i dont like about them, then i go off and find another girl that has the things i do like. ive tried to stop it. to control it. but i cant. its more then an urge. its a straight up need. seems like the magic number is 6 months. 6 months is longest i can be with a girl and stand them. now 6 months isnt how long i can be faithful for. thats about a month tops. its not an addiction. its in my genetics. thats all i can say to explain it.

i got another question... when are you, your man, me and one of my girls all going out on a double date fool?
    Chances are you been cheated on before ?
    Some guys start to become very judgmental after this happens. You pick out every little thing that you find is wrong and blow it out of proportion. You need to come to the conclusion that no one is perfect. There is ALWAYS going to be something is annoys you about someone else. What you need to focus on are weighing out the pro's and con's. Are there more positives than negatives ? Are there enough positives to where you hardly even see the negatives ? Flaws are what make people real.

With one of your skanky 6 month'ers !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    Is there really such a thing as love at first sight?
    cc

No.

Chances are you been cheated on before ?
    Some guys start to become very judgmental after this happens. You pick out every little thing that you find is wrong and blow it out of proportion. You need to come to the conclusion that no one is perfect. There is ALWAYS going to be something is annoys you about someone else. What you need to focus on are weighing out the pro's and con's. Are there more positives than negatives ? Are there enough positives to where you hardly even see the negatives ? Flaws are what make people real.

With one of your skanky 6 month'ers !
    hmm, no, no cheating. or at least none that i really cared about cuz i was already stickin it to someone else.
    and i understand that no one is perfect. ive been in love with many girls and have given them my all. even if there were things i didnt like about them. but it would still get to the point of... BOREDOM!! thats what it is... i get bored!! and when i get bored i try to find other things to keep me occupied. so i come out with the "things i dont like about the girls" as excuses for me to distance myself and in turn find someone new to play with.

and my girls arent skanks. i dont go to bars/clubs etc. i meet girls in normal everyday situations. they are all good girls... till they meet me. then i turn em out.

Blog Entries
    hmm, no, no cheating. or at least none that i really cared about cuz i was already stickin it to someone else.
    and i understand that no one is perfect. ive been in love with many girls and have given them my all. even if there were things i didnt like about them. but it would still get to the point of... BOREDOM!! thats what it is... i get bored!! and when i get bored i try to find other things to keep me occupied. so i come out with the "things i dont like about the girls" as excuses for me to distance myself and in turn find someone new to play with.

and my girls arent skanks. i dont go to bars/clubs etc. i meet girls in normal everyday situations. they are all good girls... till they meet me. then i turn em out.
    You have to realize that a relationship is work ! You can't just sit there on your @$$ and think that your going to stay in that "puppy love" stage forever.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Why have I yet to meet a girl who is worth her weight in toilet paper?

You have to realize that a relationship is work ! You can't just sit there on your @$$ and think that your going to stay in that "puppy love" stage forever.

boring!!

lol

Blog Entries
    boring!!

lol
    Life is sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    Why have I yet to meet a girl who is worth her weight in toilet paper?
    You will my child.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you seem pretty smart dsm, how do you invest your money? stocks, saving yields, iras?
    are you a homeowner?

can i be your personal assistant DSM?

Blog Entries
    can i be your personal assistant DSM?
    Depends, will you do anything i tell you to ?

Quote Originally Posted by warchild28 View Post
    you seem pretty smart dsm, how do you invest your money? stocks, saving yields, iras?
    are you a homeowner?
    I stare at my stocks like i stare at a womens vagina-->
    I have people.

terminator 1 or terminator 2????

Depends, will you do anything i tell you to ?

haha

hmm, thats a tricky question!!

or a trick question!

Blog Entries
    terminator 1 or terminator 2????
    Hands down, term 2.

but dude he was such a mean mfer in T 1 even though i thought t2 was better.

kill bill 1 or kill bill 2?

Blog Entries
    kill bill 1 or kill bill 2?
    The only thing that should have been killed was the person who came up with this idea.

but dude he was such a mean mfer in T 1 even though i thought t2 was better.
    Go with your gut (term 2).

if you ingested a whole jar of instant coffee in one sitting. could you die from coffee/caffiene overdose?

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    If it was possible to go back in time would your actions change the course of history or would your actions have already had it's impact on the course of history thereby changing nothing in the present?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    If it was possible to go back in time would your actions change the course of history or would your actions have already had it's impact on the course of history thereby changing nothing in the present?
    Your actions would change the course of history

if you ingested a whole jar of instant coffee in one sitting. could you die from coffee/caffiene overdose?
    No but you would get sick

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    of the 6 women you had sex with! How many did u hit in their precious h? and how hard was it for you to convince them?

Thread Information