Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree1028Likes

Thread: Guns and Ammo Thread

Proximal is offline Banned
    TY AG. I greatly appreciate the fact that you keep confusing the hell out of me with this terminology, lolol! So I thought I got some initial handle on what a smoothbore is (kinda) and now your throwing rifled slugs through smoothbore (huh). Modified chokes, full chokes, choke I.D. Vs. slug I.D.??? FFS, I thought following GH discussing stuff was difficult .

I’ll just pay extra if it gets me what I want, but trust me, I will do a lot of comparisons once this is over. I’ll see if my local range has different shotguns to try. I recall seeing this real cool short barreled tactical pump action on Mossberg. Going to check it out and repost with an edit.

Another rookie question, I also started reading different articles on laser sites and they if they gave an affirmative to shooting accurately from the hip. Another advantage for me. Again, taking into account massive amounts of practice, which I have no issue with. Also some quality one on one instruction. If I do stuff, I never do it half assed.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Was it the Mossy 500 chainsaw? If so, take a look at the 590 tactical. Adjustable stock let's you find your pull and would be easier to manage, IMHO. The 590 7 shot is nice and compact...that would be handy, in fact I might prefer it, would have to handle it to see, but it also has an adjustable stock which can be a plus.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-23-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Was it the Mossy 500 chainsaw?
    This one

500 Tactical - JIC Flex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guns and Ammo Thread-90cfe53d-dfbd-4d7e-911a-1a1f515eb9cd.jpeg  

Oh man, looking at the chain saw, NICE!

But just watched a video. The palm down grip on the handle on top of the pump action actually is not going to work for this missing RC. Underhand is definitely better and easier for me.
    Last edited by Proximal; 04-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    TY AG. I greatly appreciate the fact that you keep confusing the hell out of me with this terminology, lolol! So I thought I got some initial handle on what a smoothbore is (kinda) and now your throwing rifled slugs through smoothbore (huh). Modified chokes, full chokes, choke I.D. Vs. slug I.D.??? FFS, I thought following GH discussing stuff was difficult .

I’ll just pay extra if it gets me what I want, but trust me, I will do a lot of comparisons once this is over. I’ll see if my local range has different shotguns to try. I recall seeing this real cool short barreled tactical pump action on Mossberg. Going to check it out and repost with an edit.

Another rookie question, I also started reading different articles on laser sites and they if they gave an affirmative to shooting accurately from the hip. Another advantage for me. Again, taking into account massive amounts of practice, which I have no issue with. Also some quality one on one instruction. If I do stuff, I never do it half assed.
    If it was really short, it might be fall under the NFA, which I imagine might be rough out there? A shotgun barrel shorter than 18" or a shotgun shorter 26" OAL falls under special "big daddy" scrutiny.
    Proximal likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

This one

500 Tactical - JIC Flex.
    Shoot it first to see how that feels in 12 ga. ( I know you will!). If it feels a bit stout try to locate a 590 7 shot just for fun, you'll have more control over the shot recovery, IMHO.

Sounds like you really narrowed things down somewhat, now you're ready to make a list of candidates and lay hands on them.
    Proximal likes this.

The limit out in California is a 10 shot capacity. I’m going to try for something that gets me close to that. The gun above is 6 and 1.

Then, IF I can fire off that many rounds very quickly and accurately. I figure since it’s beanbags, I’ll need more than a few good hits. The max distance in my home will be short of 10 yards , but because of the layout, I’ll likely be 5 yards away. With a laser, I’m thinking even being foggy in the middle of the night could still be possible. I’m thinking I will have a pistol as a backup and there are a few shooting angles that could likely occur, which would make traditional ammunition a possibility.

Then ultimately, with all of the practice I will be doing, if I turn out to be Lucas McCain from “The Rifleman”, I’ll feel comfortable ditching the beanbags all together.

I’m feeling much more informed at this stage and can’t thank you (and others) enough for your help!

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Forget the bean bags, if your in a situation where a home invasion is occuring you need to put the threat down. I used to live in california so i understand the 10 round limit. I would get a pistol caliber carbine, or a modern sporting rifle. Something with a detachable magazine which makes reloads faster. If you own a glock you can pick up a pistol caliber carbine that uses glock magazines. Then your side arm and rifle uses the same magazine.

You could even get something like a lever action 357 or 44mag. Another thing to consider is ammunition, you want to use a round that offers consistent terminal performance.
    Proximal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Forget the bean bags, if your in a situation where a home invasion is occuring you need to put the threat down. I used to live in california so i understand the 10 round limit. I would get a pistol caliber carbine, or a modern sporting rifle. Something with a detachable magazine which makes reloads faster. If you own a glock you can pick up a pistol caliber carbine that uses glock magazines. Then your side arm and rifle uses the same magazine.

You could even get something like a lever action 357 or 44mag. Another thing to consider is ammunition, you want to use a round that offers consistent terminal performance.
    TY and I understand, but please read the numerous previous posts about my reasoning for the choice. I have close neighbors and refuse to let a missed shot enter their home.

But again, I understand your point and appreciate your suggestions.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Some on my favorite books that it’s time to reread.

Thanks again AG. Benelli said I can fire beanbag bullets from any of their tactical, pump action shotguns. I’m guessing then the same will apply to Remington and Mossberg. I’m also then assuming that makes them smoothbore (yeah, I’m a know nothing).

I’ll check, then when things return to normal, do some searching/purchasing. There is NOT a shortage of gun stores around here, lol.

Damn, the semi auto seemed so nice, watched a YouTube video where a guy fired off 20 shots in no time flat.
    I'm sure they're saying that to be safe. I'd be willing to guess that *some* semis will function with *some* specialty ammo.

You could look at the Benelli M3. It can switch between semi or pump operation.

Edit-- the semi operation on the M3 is an inertia system so probably even more unlikely to cycle those specialty loads compared to maybe a Beretta 1301 or another gas-operated semi... but you will have the pump.
    Last edited by Ernst; 04-23-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Proximal likes this.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Not all shotguns are smoothbore but the overwhelming majority are.

You can also have chokes which screw in at the end of the smoothbore barrel (only if the shotgun barrel is set up to accept them) which acts like a funnel to constrict the spread of the shot pattern. Most 'defensive' shotguns will have 18"-20" smoothbore barrels without chokes.

There are a few shotguns out there which will have a rifled barrel for sabot slugs. Pretty much exclusively used for hunting.
    Proximal likes this.

Ernst, I appreciate you man, but you’re speaking a language foreign to me, sorry. When the stores open, I’ll check to confirm. I’ll ask some friends and paid instructors & run it by you guys.

My risk here is low. It’s not like I’m in a gang land or a zombie apocalypse. If suddenly you see no posts from me, well then speculate, but, unnatural causes will be unlikely.

I’ll just say this again, I couldn’t know, what I know without all of you here. Seriously! Where else can you ask for advice like this?!? No nonsense, serious advice? JC, you guys are incredible.
    Ernst likes this.

TY and I understand, but please read the numerous previous posts about my reasoning for the choice. I have close neighbors and refuse to let a missed shot enter their home.

But again, I understand your point and appreciate your suggestions.
    I live in an apartment with very close neighbors. This is not a reason to put your family in jeopardy. Plus if you live in a house even if a round leaves yours by the time it enters the neighbor's house it will have virtually no energy. It has to go through at least 2 exterior walls at minimum.

Making decisions based upon your living situation is fine, but dont jeopardize your family with those decisions. A heavy slower moving round will penetrate a lot more than a lighter faster moving round. I use an AR15 for my home defense weapon. I wont miss at normal house distances.
    Proximal likes this.

The road is offline Banned- I said my goodbyes.
    Frankly bird shot will do fine.

Have a 590 tactical by my bed and gf has a glock.

I need to remember to buy a CSAA.
    From hy hand its the fastest shot response available

If you lock your guns up you probably dont need them.
    Want to keep it out of the hands of kids then teach them to shoot.

Mine aint that great at shooting.
    They know they pick up a gun without permission though and I will end them.
    Proximal likes this.

The road is offline Banned- I said my goodbyes.
    Going to train my son on the major aspects of being a man in a couple years.
    Thought long on this.
    If I can get him to get the work ethic and balls he will have the world at his feet. I never had that kind of training. Learned everything on my own.

Shooting is a big part.
    sv.elia, Proximal, clarky. and 2 others like this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Any do any 3D gun printing?

I’m looking into it
    almostgone likes this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not to worry, they're only Hi Points (and some of this guy's best work)

Demolition Ranch: I welded a barrel shut and then fired it

Almost two years ago, the State of Texas filed suit against the federal government (still pending) claiming that since Obamacare's individual mandate had been struck down as unconstitutional (fuck you, Justice Kennedy), the gummint lacks any power to enforce it and therefore all of Obamacare is null and void. Now it looks as if that tactic has legs in the RKBA world.

Some random dude got popped for unlawful possession of a machine gun. He filed for dismissal on Constitutional grounds, claiming that since the 1986 Firearm Owner's Protection Act (the infamous Hughes Amendment) prohibits the transfer of any full-automatic weapon manufactured after 19 May, 1986; and because the BATF's only tool of enforcement of the code it thru taxation; then the fact that no future machine guns can be taxed means that neither does the BATF have any power to regulate them. Therefore the 1986 FOPA is unenforceable and unconstitutional.

It's the exact same argument Texas was making about Obamacare, only applied to the BATF.

The Feds dropped the charges!!!

This echoes the claim made by Rock Island Armory in 1991 when they got their butt in a crack in the years immediately following the signing of the 1986 FOPA for manufacturing machine gun parts. Except the complexion of SCOTUS is vastly different today than it was in 1991 (when Slick Willie Klinton was whoremonger-in-chief), and RKBA is on much firmer footing thanks to the Heller decision.

DOJ Dismisses Indictment of Machine Gun Prosecution to Preserve Its Obamacare Arguments

So we might be witnessing the beginning of the end for the Hughes Amendment. And it's clutching at straws to think they can sacrifice the Hughes Amendment to preserve Obamacare because I have little doubt but that Obamacare will be repealed in Trump's second term because control of the House also will be restored to the Republican party.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 04-28-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    RaginCajun likes this.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    ... repealed in Trump's second term ...

I followed you until i saw this fanciful bit of nonsense.

Maybe his second term in federal prison.

I'm far from the only one who thinks it's silly.

Ready To Rack?

You’ve heard the phrase “Racking a shotgun is the international sound of ‘get out’.” Actually, it is the international sound of “my gun is not loaded.” This cliché falls off the tongue and sounds witty, but it encourages people to keep their home-defense weapon in an unprepared state. Once again, if you are reaching for a gun, it is a bad day and you need it immediately. Any delay can have lethal consequences.

Whether the semi is quicker than a pump would depend on the semi. Most are slower than a pump because they have an action designed to harvest energy at a controlled rate, which serves to deliver the recoil over a longer period of time, softening the 'kick.' A pump will run as fast as your arm can run it. But it takes a lot of practice with a pump to cycle it without screwing up your sight picture one round to the next. Without a good deal of practice, follow-ups tend to be easier with an autoloader, and follow-ups are always critical because anything worth shooting once is worth shooting three times. I saw quite a few jarhea ... I mean Marines in Iraq carrying the Benelli M4 shotgun. I saw one in the chow hall on Camp Fallujah carrying the crazy drum magazine-fed full-auto Atchisson AA12. And I'd have given my left nut to take that home with me.
    Ernst and Proximal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Not to worry, they're only Hi Points (and some of this guy's best work)

Demolition Ranch: I welded a barrel shut and then fired it

That piece of rebar would be more reliable in a fight than any of those pistols.

I cant help it, when I hear HiPoint, I will always think of the same class of cheap shit as Jennings, Lorcin, Bryco, Taurus, Davis, Raven, Titan, etc...

Many of us older guys who were shooting in the 1980's probably feel the same way.
    Ernst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    Any do any 3D gun printing?

I’m looking into it
    No, but we have 8 printers at work. It's a bitch to go in there, you have to fully suit up. Some of the maraging steel powders are pretty noxious.

Quote Originally Posted by C27H40O3 View Post
    That piece of rebar would be more reliable in a fight than any of those pistols.

I cant help it, when I hear HiPoint, I will always think of the same class of cheap shit as Jennings, Lorcin, Bryco, Taurus, Davis, Raven, Titan, etc...

Many of us older guys who were shooting in the 1980's probably feel the same way.
    Agree with most of those except the Taurus.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Agree with most of those except the Taurus.
    I havent handled or looked at a taurus since the early 1990's. my mind was made up enough. i saw all i needed to see. i just remember big heavy boxy designs made of cheap pot metal, jammed more than they fired.

Quote Originally Posted by C27H40O3 View Post
    I havent handled or looked at a taurus since the early 1990's. my mind was made up enough. i saw all i needed to see. i just remember big heavy boxy designs made of cheap pot metal, jammed more than they fired.
    I'm basing that solely off of the PT92, which I think was made on Beretta tooling in Brazil. Mine has been excellent actually, although I'm a 1911 guy that also loves Sigs ( only have the one Taurus and it is a straight early PT92, no decocker).

Let me see if I can find a link.

I have also fired a Taurus Judge and it was OK for what it was. Other than that, I can't speak for the other Taurus models besides my PT92.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-29-2020 at 07:49 PM.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have also fired a Taurus Judge and it was OK for what it was. Other than that, I can't speak for the other Taurus models besides my PT92.

I have an 8 year old .357 Taurus Revolver that goes bang every time. Agreed, their early lineup left plenty to be desired in terms of reliability, but they’ve come a long way in terms of functionality. The Judge is a great example and their revolver lineup is just fine for the money.

The G2C which replaced the PT in their lineup gets really good reviews. That being said, I’d rather spend the extra money when talking about an automatic that I know is going to cycle every time, like a P365 or a G19

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	259A3CEE-0B7B-43C1-AD06-B678BBBCD6E8.jpeg 
Views:	272 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	178742

Anyone have any experience with Aero Precision?

I just picked up their M5E1 in .308 with an enhanced mlok handguard, faxon 20" match 416 1-10 fluted barrel, geissele G2S trigger, radian raptor ambidextrous charging handle, precision armament m4-72 severe duty compensator, magpul 6-10 mlok bipod, vortex diamondback 4-16x44 ffp mom with a sunshade and vortex 1 piece mount for 1800$

Seems like a pretty good deal with the optics.

Wanted a .308 platform that could shoot MOA at 5-700 yards for less than 2K.

I think I did ok?! They have great reviews and I have that scope on another rifle and it’s great optics for the cost.

Just curious
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 05-05-2020 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added a pic
    Ernst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	259A3CEE-0B7B-43C1-AD06-B678BBBCD6E8.jpeg 
Views:	272 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	178742

Anyone have any experience with Aero Precision?

I just picked up their M5E1 in .308 with an enhanced mlok handguard, faxon 20" match 416 1-10 fluted barrel, geissele G2S trigger, radian raptor ambidextrous charging handle, precision armament m4-72 severe duty compensator, magpul 6-10 mlok bipod, vortex diamondback 4-16x44 ffp mom with a sunshade and vortex 1 piece mount for 1800$

Seems like a pretty good deal with the optics.

Wanted a .308 platform that could shoot MOA at 5-700 yards for less than 2K.

I think I did ok?! They have great reviews and I have that scope on another rifle and it’s great optics for the cost.

Just curious
    I have an aero lower chambered in 6.8 SPC

Ernst likes this.

I have an aero lower chambered in 6.8 SPC

Sweet rig!!

How do you like it? Any issues or things you wished you would’ve known?

I switched the trigger, changed out the barrel and put on a bigger charging handle.

Miss anything?!

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Whats up guys whats your opinion on these three rounds
    338 lapua
    375 ruger
    416 ruger

Lookin for obviously something LARGE im kinda leanin to the 375 for an all around badass cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    338 lapua
    375 ruger
    416 ruger

Lookin for obviously something LARGE im kinda leanin to the 375 for an all around badass cartridge
    416 Rigby.....

Just kidding. .338 Lapua should do the trick nicely.
    SampsonandDelilah and Cuz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    338 lapua
    375 ruger
    416 ruger

I’m thinking “you better have a good muzzle break and skip shoulders day”

Agreed with AG though...hard to beat the .338 Lapua.

That round is tried and true and unless you’re hunting herds if elephants, it should do the job nicely
    Cuz and almostgone like this.

Have you seen the .950 JDJ?

Holy shit...

https://youtu.be/8WiLqPB4lU0
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 05-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Cuz and RaginCajun like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Have you seen the .950 JDJ?

Holy shit...

https://youtu.be/8WiLqPB4lU0
    Im not shouldering that motherfucker lmao

Me either!!! ^^^^^^^^^

Sweet rig!!

How do you like it? Any issues or things you wished you would’ve known?

I switched the trigger, changed out the barrel and put on a bigger charging handle.

Miss anything?!
    no issues that I am aware with. I plan on upgrading that trigger soon and building some more.

that one has a digital night vision scope on it and also have a suppressor to go with it. I need to go shoot it again as I may up the grain to 120g from 100g.

no issues that I am aware with. I plan on upgrading that trigger soon and building some more.

that one has a digital night vision scope on it and also have a suppressor to go with it. I need to go shoot it again as I may up the grain to 120g from 100g.
    What scope are you running, RC?

Thread Information