Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1350
Like Tree1028Likes

Thread: Guns and Ammo Thread

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Here's how it looks right now just after stripping the outer barrel and slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stainless.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	180719

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Here's how it looks right now just after stripping the outer barrel and slide.

Name:	stainless.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	180719
    it looks like it's aluminum. Why don't you just anodize it?

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    it looks like it's aluminum. Why don't you just anodize it?
    I'm not an expert on metals but I did do 3 years of metalwork in high school. It feels like steel to me.

I could get a beaker with measurements on the side, fill it with water and then put the barrel in to raise the water level. That will give me the volume of the barrel.

Then I can weigh it, and divide the weight by the volume to give me the density. Alluminium should come out at about 2.7. Steel is three times denser at 8.0.

I've never anodised anything but I want everything matt black.

It makes sense that they would choose steel because it's only a third the price of aluminium (I looked it up just now).

It makes sense that they would choose steel because it's only a third the price of aluminium (I looked it up just now).
    If it's steel, then use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...2EH6NABSW2XA08

Make sure you thoroughly clean the slide with brake cleaner first.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Federal Court Affirms That Government May Not Charge A Fee For The Exercise Of A Constitutionally Protected Right

Ruling Reveals How Sweeping A SCOTUS Ruling Establishing Strict Scrutiny For The 2nd Amendment Could Be

Note: Thanks to Steve Lehto for covering this on his YouTube channel.

In a case involving fees for commercial filming in areas under the control of the National Park Service, the DC District Court has ruled that fees charged for exercising constitutional rights of the first order are unconstitutional. What follows is one of many quotes establishing this.

This regime is difficult to square with the longstanding rule that the government may not "impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the federal constitution," including the First Amendment right to free expression.’

In the ruling, the district court cited a 1943 SCOTUS decision that established that even some commercial speech – generally subject to more regulation that other forms of speech – cannot be subjected to fees.

How does this relate to gun rights and the 2nd Amendment?
    Well, free speech, protected by the 1st Amendment, is accorded the protection of strict scrutiny. Logically, if the 2nd Amendment is likewise accorded the same level of protection, fees related to the exercise of that right would be highly suspect. This would be even more true of fees imposed upon non-commercial use/purchase/ownership of weapons.

At a minimum, the excessive fees aimed at discouraging the exercise of the 2A right would be unconstitutional. There are plces in America where governments charge yearly fees of hundreds of dollars per gun. Those would be gone. My guess is that IF CCW permits are upheld, fees would be limited to government’s actual cost – if fees are permitted at all.

The 2nd Amendment being accorded strict scrutiny in the anti-gun rights side’s worst fear. Let’s hope, work and contribute to make that fear a reality.
    rise_against likes this.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Been getting into squirel and rabbit hunting. Bought a Thompson 22 rifle with a red dot as a beginner gun. Still have not harvested any yet. I can go out to my hunting spots and see nothing. Then when I take my dogs for a walk to the same areas, it's like Disney Animal Kingdom out there. My dogs are Dobermans and not hunting dogs, so I guess I just keep letting them torment me.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Try to figure out what time of day the squirrels are most active/foraging. I can't keep the squirrels thinned out here. First they eat all of the seed from the bird feeders and when they empty the feeders, I'm almost positive they dry hump the bird feeders.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Try to figure out what time of day the squirrels are most active/foraging. I can't keep the squirrels thinned out here. First they eat all of the seed from the bird feeders and when they empty the feeders, I'm almost positive they dry hump the bird feeders.
    I have found they are most active when you are not hunting them, they will fuck with you when you are in a deer blind hunting deer. I can't remember the last time I did not shoot a squirrel when I went hunting for them. They taste great in Gumbo. Go to where you have seen them and sit down and wait. If the weather is nice, they will come out after a while of no movement. This is country squirrels, not city ones.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David LoPan View Post
    I have found they are most active when you are not hunting them, they will fuck with you when you are in a deer blind hunting deer. I can't remember the last time I did not shoot a squirrel when I went hunting for them. They taste great in Gumbo. Go to where you have seen them and sit down and wait. If the weather is nice, they will come out after a while of no movement. This is country squirrels, not city ones.
    LOL, these squirrels are about as country as it gets. Out here, no cablevision, no DSL from the phone company. If you want water you better have a well or a spring.

Nearest big "town" has a population of under 1,400, The next town after that is under 625.

They're just used to us being out on our property, but they do have peak foraging times. Now the pesky little fvckers are the flying squirrels just after sunset. Dang things whiz by your head and believe it or not, they will nip at you. Furry little sh!ts.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    I watched a squirrel get gang raped by 3 other squirrels once. It was brutal as hell. Never ever have I seen anything like that in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    I watched a squirrel get gang raped by 3 other squirrels once. It was brutal as hell. Never ever have I seen anything like that in nature.
    Some animals look aggressive as hell when they're mating. I once saw a female cat in heat throwing her genital up in the air and all the males coming over to run a train on her. Sluttiest thing I've ever seen.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Single hand straight arm a .50 cal, and then show me the hammer mark on your forehead. Blood trickling between your eyes for sure...

Duel wielding .50’s would be even funnier to watch...
    Lmao believe it or not there is a fella on yOutube calls himself Kentucky Ballistics. Ive seen him do it

After watching this torture test on real Desert Eagle pistol:

I would like to make the claim that you're all full of shit.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Lmao believe it or not there is a fella on yOutube calls himself Kentucky Ballistics. Ive seen him do it
    Oh I think it can be done, just more questioning the practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I was intrigued. It’s obvious, this fella can shoot...pretty damn impressive. Nothing about it looks practical or comfortable though.

I will say I’ve never seen a 10” barrel on a DE .50 and have to imagine that helped with his accuracy and taking some of the gas pressure off. Either way, the dude impressed me and looked like he was having a fun time doing it!

Nice call Cuz...

https://youtu.be/ZiFICbRw-hk
    Cuz likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    I was intrigued. It’s obvious, this fella can shoot...pretty damn impressive. Nothing about it looks practical or comfortable though.

I will say I’ve never seen a 10” barrel on a DE .50 and have to imagine that helped with his accuracy and taking some of the gas pressure off. Either way, the dude impressed me and looked like he was having a fun time doing it!

Nice call Cuz...

https://youtu.be/ZiFICbRw-hk
    Yeah bro he is pretty impressive for sure,
    Got some cool content also if you ever get bored.

Ive never shot anything like that even close and damn sure wouldn’t attempt it one handed lol

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like it's hunting flying squirrels with a shotgun time.

Quote Originally Posted by David LoPan View Post
    ...They taste great in Gumbo....
    Doesn't everything? Das why dem coon-ass cook dat way. Skwerl, shrimps, gator, nutria, ... poodle ... dem Cajuns'll eat anytang wot don' eat dem foist, and evahtang tayss good in a gumbo.

De man wot teached me to cook a gumbo tell a stowree about skwerl huntin':

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Doesn't everything? Das why dem coon-ass cook dat way. Skwerl, shrimps, gator, nutria, ... poodle ... dem Cajuns'll eat anytang wot don' eat dem foist, and evahtang tayss good in a gumbo.

De man wot teached me to cook a gumbo tell a stowree about skwerl huntin':

I would watch Louisiana Cookin' on PBS all the time when I was a kid!! Loved Justin Wilson!

A true patriot and a fine gentleman chef.... “I gha-rawn-tee!”

Midway has the Israeli-made equivalent to Black Hills Mk262 (5.56) in stock, and for a paltry $1.30 a round.

I tell you fo true, I have an autumn food ritual. The first weekend that turns cold and damp (unless I'm in a tree stand), I pull out Gunnhildr, my ginormous stock pot, and I make a batch of white beans with andouille, followed by a batch of seafood gumbo, both from recipes I stole from Monsieur Wilson. That gives me plenty of Cajun comfort food to last until the warm weather comes back.

Midway has the Israeli-made equivalent to Black Hills Mk262 (5.56) in stock, and for a paltry $1.30 a round.

I tell you fo true, I have an autumn food ritual. The first weekend that turns cold and damp (unless I'm in a tree stand), I pull out Gunnhildr, my ginormous stock pot, and I make a batch of white beans with andouille, followed by a batch of seafood gumbo, both from recipes I stole from Monsieur Wilson. That gives me plenty of Cajun comfort food to last until the warm weather comes back.
    I have some Mk262 Mod 0 that was entrusted to me. I shot a boar with it right at the base of the neck. Man, it dropped that big boy instantly.

I have some Mk262 Mod 0 that was entrusted to me. I shot a boar with it right at the base of the neck. Man, it dropped that big boy instantly.
    Got nothing against Black Hills but I went with 75-gr Hornady TAP for my WROL stash because it was generally easier to come by. And both have DocGKR's seal of approval, which I count as high praise. I'm not particularly fond of 5.56 SBRs but (according to Doc Roberts) the 75-gr TAP is one of a very small group of bullets that still exibits proper terminal effects in SBRs less than 14.5"
    almostgone likes this.

23 Year ATF Agent:

... [T]he ATF has been deliberately misinterpreting a key gun control regulation for decades because officials fear that following the letter of the law would allow criminals to build AR-15s and other firearms piece by piece with unregulated parts.

He said he voiced his concerns to an ATF official two decades ago, but was rebuffed....

It’s Official: CZ Buys Colt for $220m And Stock Shares

I didn't see this coming but I can't say I'm sorry. I didn't set out to be a CZ fan (and still don't think of myself as one) but I ended up owning several CZs because nothing I could find matched their quality at their price point. I don't think it will do any harm to the Colt product (and probably will make them better) and CZ definitely isn't the sort of business that would buy a gun company only to manage it into oblivion in an effort to narrow gun buyer's options. They've owned Brno since 2008 and Dan Wesson since 2005 and definitely boosted the profile of both (and it hasn't done DW's product any harm).

As best as I can make out, this deal doesn't involve Colt Defense, the division building for the military and LEA markets, which Colt spun off in 2002.

And by the way, the correct pronunciation of CZ isn't Cee-Zee, it's Shay-Zed. But you probably knew that if you're old enough to remember when CZ sold motocrossers, enduros and trials bikes in the US.

23 Year ATF Agent:

... [T]he ATF has been deliberately misinterpreting a key gun control regulation for decades because officials fear that following the letter of the law would allow criminals to build AR-15s and other firearms piece by piece with unregulated parts.

He said he voiced his concerns to an ATF official two decades ago, but was rebuffed....

I didn't see this coming but I can't say I'm sorry. I didn't set out to be a CZ fan (and still don't think of myself as one) but I ended up owning several CZs because nothing I could find matched their quality at their price point. I don't think it will do any harm to the Colt product (and probably will make them better) and CZ definitely isn't the sort of business that would buy a gun company only to manage it into oblivion in an effort to narrow gun buyer's options. They've owned Brno since 2008 and Dan Wesson since 2005 and definitely boosted the profile of both (and it hasn't done DW's product any harm).

As best as I can make out, this deal doesn't involve Colt Defense, the division building for the military and LEA markets, which Colt spun off in 2002.

And by the way, the correct pronunciation of CZ isn't Cee-Zee, it's Shay-Zed. But you probably knew that if you're old enough to remember when CZ sold motocrossers, enduros and trials bikes in the US.
    I’m in love with my Evo 3 S2 micro. Never thought I would dig a platform like this the way that I do. It runs flawless

Still strange thinking of them owning Colt...

Bought something else to tinker with in the future. I generally load .270 Win in the 130--150 grain range, but have been planning to fiddle with lighter bullets just because I enjoy my .270 Win.

Turns out Midway has a bulk pack (500) of 90grain Speer PSP for around $98, so I snagged a couple. Yes, I tend to slightly hoard (two is one, one is none).

I've been sitting on a few pounds of RL19 and a pound of RL22( I usually load IMR4350 or IMR4831) Think some of it will be used soon.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Bought something else to tinker with in the future. I generally load .270 Win in the 130--150 grain range, but have been planning to fiddle with lighter bullets just because I enjoy my .270 Win.

Turns out Midway has a bulk pack (500) of 90grain Speer PSP for around $98, so I snagged a couple. Yes, I tend to slightly hoard (two is one, one is none).

I've been sitting on a few pounds of RL19 and a pound of RL22( I usually load IMR4350 or IMR4831) Think some of it will be used soon.
    .270 was my first deer rifle. Took a lot of deer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    .270 was my first deer rifle. Took a lot of deer with it.
    It's such an easy caliber to work with. You can tweak the load for all kinds of different applications.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

23 Year ATF Agent:

Hopefully, this will bring some badly needed QC to Colt. With their AR rifles, they've been having so many shit companies make them under their brand and then still sell them at Colt prices that they've ruined the brand name.

Hopefully, this will bring some badly needed QC to Colt. With their AR rifles, they've been having so many shit companies make them under their brand and then still sell them at Colt prices that they've ruined the brand name.
    Absolutely. That's how FN ate Colt's lunch. They held themselves to a standard while Colt took their contract for granted.

I'm only seeing this for the first time today... there's a Christian church that worships guns:

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Been getting into squirel and rabbit hunting. Bought a Thompson 22 rifle with a red dot as a beginner gun. Still have not harvested any yet. I can go out to my hunting spots and see nothing. Then when I take my dogs for a walk to the same areas, it's like Disney Animal Kingdom out there. My dogs are Dobermans and not hunting dogs, so I guess I just keep letting them torment me.
    Dude, start doing research on them. Read up on those particular species habits. Usually, rabbits like to move about at dawn and dusk. Best thing to do is look for fresh poop pellets on the ground. If you don't see any, there likely isn't any rabbits in that area.
    almostgone likes this.

I think I did a good job with the primer and the coat of matte black paint. But the guys at the paint store told me to apply 'clear lacquer' over the matte paint. So now the barrel is shiny even though I wanted it matte. I still need to spray the slide.

Name:	1613417499644.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	180752

I think I did a good job with the primer and the coat of matte black paint. But the guys at the paint store told me to apply 'clear lacquer' over the matte paint. So now the barrel is shiny even though I wanted it matte. I still need to spray the slide.

Name:	1613417499644.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	180752
    That paint job made it look more like it's plastic.

If it was made from aluminum, I would have bead blasted the slide with fine mesh glass beads @ about 35psi. Would give a really nice matte finish.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

If it was made from aluminum, I would have bead blasted the slide with fine mesh glass beads @ about 35psi. Would give a really nice matte finish.
    With steel, he could bead blast for the desired texture as well and then use a hot bluing compound to get it that black color he wants (plus it'd give him a good amount of rust protection).

True, but I didn't recall what his airsoft pistol was made of.

The bluing should give him a nice dull-ish protective finish for any steel parts.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Dude, start doing research on them. Read up on those particular species habits. Usually, rabbits like to move about at dawn and dusk. Best thing to do is look for fresh poop pellets on the ground. If you don't see any, there likely isn't any rabbits in that area.
    If you have any wild blackberries canes around, that's where those rascals like to hang out until feeding time.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

For those of y'all that pick up ammo loaded by individuals, I recommend sticking with someone you trust. When virtually every smokeless powder is out of stock, it tells me that there are probably some half-ass shankers out there interchanging slow burning and fast burning powders, mixing flake, ball, and extruded powder in random ratios.

I've never seen the powder market this depleted. Primers yes... powders, never.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

For those of y'all that pick up ammo loaded by individuals, I recommend sticking with someone you trust. When virtually every smokeless powder is out of stock, it tells me that there are probably some half-ass shankers out there interchanging slow burning and fast burning powders, mixing flake, ball, and extruded powder in random ratios.

I've never seen the powder market this depleted. Primers yes... powders, never.
    I'm not buying that crap the CEO of Federal was saying about the ammo shortage. I'm positive the military and LEOs are buying up all of the production of complete ammo and the powder, brass and primers. If it wasn't the case, we'd know of people getting lucky and snagging new boxes of primers or bottles of powder.

Thread Information