Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.....

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    ^how much of deficit are you doing on non-training days?

how much of a difference is that from your training days?

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    How do you know its all coming from fat? Are you taking your body comp measurements weekly?

BigTMan123 is offline New Member
    So, I don't know if I screwed up or not. I had about a cup of green beans last night with my talapia. Will the 1g or so of natural sugar screw my diet up? Take me out of ketosis?

I was reading another post and until then had no idea green beans had sugar in them.

Also had about half cup for my 1:00 meal today ...

This is my 3rd week of CKD.

Also, still waiting on response for my question on ECA stack on previous page ...
    Last edited by BigTMan123; 04-01-2010 at 02:04 PM.

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTMan123 View Post
    So, I don't know if I screwed up or not. I had about a cup of green beans last night with my talapia. Will the 1g or so of natural sugar screw my diet up? Take me out of ketosis? No
    I was reading another post and until then had no idea green beans had sugar in them.

Also, still waiting on response for my question on ECA stack on previous page ...
    ECA will be fine but then you can't properly judge the diet

D7M
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTMan123 View Post
    So, I don't know if I screwed up or not. I had about a cup of green beans last night with my talapia. Will the 1g or so of natural sugar screw my diet up? Take me out of ketosis?

veggies are fine in my book on a keto.

Some people don't. But I eat a TON of veggies on a keto and still loose nicely.

And no, veggies won't "kick you out of ketosis".

Besides, who says you have to stay in ketosis 24/7 to loose?

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    veggies are fine in my book on a keto.

Some people don't. But I eat a TON of veggies on a keto and still loose nicely.

And no, veggies won't "kick you out of ketosis".

Besides, who says you have to stay in ketosis 24/7 to loose?
    I definitely get my veggies on the diet. Mostly in the form of raw spinach.

I was just wondering because I read in another post (and looked on nutritiondata.com) that green beans had 1g sugar per cup.

I didn't know if that would be detrimental to the diet or not.

I am trying to be as strict and dedicated as possible.

Just as an FYI for others - I ran "Dave's" Keto Diet last year and dropped 50 lbs.

Now, this CKD looks promising (because of the carb load) to help me rid most of my remaining.

3 weeks in and I'm down 7lbs.

Bren is offline Associate Member
    ^how much of deficit are you doing on non-training days?

how much of a difference is that from your training days?
    From 600-1000, depending on the workout. I do less of a deficit on my heavy leg days and my full body days.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    How do you know its all coming from fat? Are you taking your body comp measurements weekly?
    I know it is all from fat because I am not losing strength and I Drink 1-1 1/2 gallons of water a day. So I know that it is not from water, and if it was from muscle, than I would be losing noticeable strength for sure.
    On Mondays I rotate, one week legs, the next week, upper body & core, Etc.. and my strength is getting better.

HeavyL is offline Junior Member
    alot of the initial weight loss is from water this is a fact. drinking more water doesn't mean you won't loose water weight!!! this is what this diet does carbs hold water thus no carbs, you don't hold water

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I know it is all from fat because I am not losing strength and I Drink 1-1 1/2 gallons of water a day. So I know that it is not from water, and if it was from muscle, than I would be losing noticeable strength for sure.
    On Mondays I rotate, one week legs, the next week, upper body & core, Etc.. and my strength is getting better.
    That is not a way of determining fat loss.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyL View Post
    alot of the initial weight loss is from water this is a fact. drinking more water doesn't mean you won't loose water weight!!! this is what this diet does carbs hold water thus no carbs, you don't hold water
    Carbs hold water? Can you tell me which part of your body is a carb?

From 600-1000, depending on the workout. I do less of a deficit on my heavy leg days and my full body days.
    1 of 3 things is happening here.

1. You are new to working out or you are coming off of a long break. So while you may be gaining strength you are still sacrificing mucle.
    2. You are on AAS.
    3. You are lying. A 1000 calorie deficit is an indication that you are losing muscle.

You need to measure your body composition and keep track because you might be doing more harm then good.

edgarr is offline Member

1. You are new to working out or you are coming off of a long break. So while you may be gaining strength you are still sacrificing mucle.
    2. You are on AAS.
    3. You are lying. A 1000 calorie deficit is an indication that you are losing muscle.

You need to measure your body composition and keep track because you might be doing more harm then good.
    Agreed! 1000 cal deficit, carbs or no carbs and your losing muscle and strength.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Carbs hold water? Can you tell me which part of your body is a carb?
    Starchy carbohydrates heavily increase water retention. Especially when our bodies have been deprived of them for some time.

When I was carb-cycling, I'd notice a several lb. spike in body weight following my very high carb day as well as moon-face. My weight would always be back to normal following the two low carb days. Water/sodium/protein intake were consistent.

Your muscles are what hold water along with your skin, fat cells etc. The only thing remotely close to a carb in your body composition is muscle glycogen. Doesnt matter what diet you are eating. CKD or not. You can still retain water with out eating a carbohydrate. Just ask any female on an atkins diet during their menstrual cycle.

JoeSmoe is offline New Member
    I would suggest this diet to anyone with hypoglycemia or borderline diabetes.

I do not have any scientific evidence to back up my theory but It was nearly impossible for me to lose weight on a low fat diet. Now im doing as close to 0 carbs as I can get (carb or 2 in some seasonings and sauces) 6 days a week and the weight is coming off like clockwork. I think it is because it stabilizes my blood sugar and since my body produces to much insulin and insulin causes your body to store fat and makes you hungry I get a double whammy benefit from it.

I feel fine on this diet too. I'm actually less hungry than doing low fat and feel full on 2k calories a day. The only problem I have is after I do anything strenuous like a heavy set or even geting out of the hot tub lol I get that feeling like I better sit down or ill be laying out on the floor feeling lol. As for normal life tho I feel fine even doing cardio.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Your muscles are what hold water along with your skin, fat cells etc. The only thing remotely close to a carb in your body composition is muscle glycogen. Doesnt matter what diet you are eating. CKD or not. You can still retain water with out eating a carbohydrate. Just ask any female on an atkins diet during their menstrual cycle.
    x2. Simply saying a high starchy carbohydrate intake is a major contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    x2. Simply saying a high starchy carbohydrate intake is a major contributor.
    The reason why water retention is high after a carb heavy meal is once it is broken down it is turned into metabolic water. Its not necessarily holding water, its that it creates it.

JoeSmoe is offline New Member
    Does everyone go insane on carb loads?

I'm just asking because I only go between 100 to 300 on carbs day and I feel fine for the week and lose about 10lbs a month.

I'm just asking because I think I saw something about 16xLBM and that is about 14x more than I eat lol. I thought carb loads were just there to give you energy for the week? I feel fine through the week so I don't think im doing anything wrong.

2. You are on AAS.

Any way Going down form a workout day of 4000-5000 calories to an off day of 3000-4000 calories Is not that bad. It is sometimes 1000 calories differance but still is only 300-600 under my TDEE

Any way Going down form a workout day of 4000-5000 calories to an off day of 3000-4000 calories Is not that bad. It is sometimes 1000 calories differance but still is only 300-600 under my TDEE
    If you are eating 4000 calories on your off day, that is in no way a deficit. And Why would you even be eating 5000 calories in the first place. You need to do a little bit of research in dieting in general. Thats just ridiculous.

D7M
    Blog Entries
    first of all it's a big difference between 4k and 5k cals a day...so which is it?

Second, you're on a keto diet and at 5k cals?

How? what does your diet look like?

first of all it's a big difference between 4k and 5k cals a day...so which is it?

Second, you're on a keto diet and at 5k cals?

How? what does your diet look like?
    I didnt even give that thought. I think my #3 choice seems to be it. 1000 calorie difference is almost 2 times the amount of a days worth of protein for 150lbs LBM

And Your Tdee is not 4000-5000 calories my friend. Unless you are a professional athlete.

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    Quick progress report. I increased my carbs a bit from the first week but still remained in light ketosis and running a calorie deficit. Dropped another 3 lbs for a total of 9 in two weeks.

Incidentally, yesterday was a cheat day. After the kids did their Easter egg hunt I popped a couple of handfuls of jelly beans in my gob. HOLY SHIT!! What a MISTAKE! I nearly passed out from the sudden sugar infusion and felt like shit for several hours. All I wanted to do was take a nap. Amazing how much of a difference a couple of weeks on a different diet makes. I never want to feel like that again.

baddgsx is offline Junior Member

My weight loss graph

Heres a pic of my weight loss graph. Im 2 solid months into the CKD and i havent looked better in my whole life. And im not on AAS which is weird for me. Usually i look better on AAS. As you can see in my graph the past week and half have been a struggle to loose. I did not cheat at all but i think my body is in some sort of adjustment phase for round 2 (2nd month) No worries , im just going to continue on doing it until one of two things happen. 1.) i get to 6 percent. or 2.) my rest time from AAS is up and i can begin my next cycle of dbol /test/deca on a 40/40/20 diet w/ and increased calorie intake 500 above TDEE.

Honestly , i cannot wait to do try AAS while being this cut.

Top , if it wasnt for you i wouldnt look as good as i do now.
    Seriously though, thanks for the knowledge!

Chris ,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.....-cid_ff25b1e4-534e-4f33-8f7f-80182cd934f1.jpg  
    Last edited by baddgsx; 04-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.

edgarr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post
    Heres a pic of my weight loss graph. Im 2 solid months into the CKD and i havent looked better in my whole life. And im not on AAS which is weird for me. Usually i look better on AAS. As you can see in my graph the past week and half have been a struggle to loose. I did not cheat at all but i think my body is in some sort of adjustment phase for round 2 (2nd month) No worries , im just going to continue on doing it until one of two things happen. 1.) i get to 6 percent. or 2.) my rest time from AAS is up and i can begin my next cycle of dbol /test/deca on a 40/40/20 diet w/ and increased calorie intake 500 above TDEE.

Honestly , i cannot wait to do try AAS while being this cut.

Top , if it wasnt for you i wouldnt look as good as i do now.
    Seriously though, thanks for the knowledge!

Chris ,
    Did you also track your BF%? Just wondering how much of that weight loss was muscle vs fat.

Quote Originally Posted by edgarr View Post
    Did you also track your BF%? Just wondering how much of that weight loss was muscle vs fat.
    I did not track BF% , i believe that alittle muscle loss will be evident with any calorie difficient diet. I look bigger and better at 182 lbs than i did at 208. Everyone else at my gym agrees also.

edgarr is offline Member
    I did not track BF% , i believe that alittle muscle loss will be evident with any calorie difficient diet. I look bigger and better at 182 lbs than i did at 208. Everyone else at my gym agrees also.
    Yes agreed you will lose muscle but I would be curious to how much.

Also and this is my own experience, introducing carbs back in is not that easy. I wish someone would have showed me the way. I just ate carbs again and the first week I ate all kinds and lots of them but I didn't gain a pound. I felt like shit, was weak and no motivation. I guess my body wasn't use t carbs as an energy source and was rejecting them If I had to do it over I would ramp the fat down and the carbs up over a two week period. I feel much better now and this week I lost 5 lbs on not so strict 40/40/20

If you start AAS right away that might help with the sides I had .

Bringing this thread back to life to post my results so far!

Started CKD 3/15/10 weighing 213 lbs
    Weighed today and I'm at 199 lbs!

I haven't been below 200 in like 7 years! I have used different variations of a Keto diet to lose a total of 66 lbs over the past year and a half.

Going to continue this CKD for another 6 weeks and I should be pretty satisfied with myself by then ...

Just a side note as well - I have not seen ANY, I repeat, ANY losses in the lifting department ... although I have not made much gains (I have increased each exercise by like 10lbs or so). But making huge gains is not my goal ... yet

sup guys ,

i went on the 40/40/20 for about a while after doing the carb keto previously with good results. Now im going back on the CKD with AAS. I know ive read that its not good but i want to see for myself. im one month into my gear test/deca and just started mon. on the ckd.

Chris

danielli is offline Associate Member
    sup guys ,

i went on the 40/40/20 for about a while after doing the carb keto previously with good results. Now im going back on the CKD with AAS. I know ive read that its not good but i want to see for myself. im one month into my gear test/deca and just started mon. on the ckd.

Chris
    keep us posted. Do you have a separate thread logging your progress?

no , if ya guys dont mind ill write everything here and post pics here again. I like everyone in this thread.

i have decent experience with aas. not sure if i get the best gear because ive yet to try gear that says QV on it. I try to maximise effects by not drinking achohol and keeping to a strict clorie diet.

my cycle now consists of dbol 1-4weeks ,600mg test a week for 1-14 weeks and 600mg deca a week for 1-12weeks.

right now im 188.00 at about 12-14 percent bodyfat. 5'9"

Chris

truckin35 is offline New Member
    Hey there Top, fairly new to the site. Been lifting pretty hard and heavy for about a year, having trouble shredding off some body fat. A buddy of mine told me about this diet, so I have been reading these post, and was wondering where I can get this book you were talking about. Thanks Alot

edgarr is offline Member
    Anyone still on this diet? I went off it and to a 40/40/20 and lost the weight I wanted to lose. Now that I did that I am thinking about going back on this to see if I can gain some muscle

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Sad that this diet sort of died out, he is so good, i used it from 1996 until 2002.

Might give it another run for its money soon

how many grams of protein in 93-7 lean beef? im using 8 grams. does that seem right or high?

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by truckin35 View Post
    Hey there Top, fairly new to the site. Been lifting pretty hard and heavy for about a year, having trouble shredding off some body fat. A buddy of mine told me about this diet, so I have been reading these post, and was wondering where I can get this book you were talking about. Thanks Alot
    Pm me your email and ill send a pdf to you.

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    no , if ya guys dont mind ill write everything here and post pics here again. I like everyone in this thread.

i have decent experience with aas. not sure if i get the best gear because ive yet to try gear that says QV on it. I try to maximise effects by not drinking achohol and keeping to a strict clorie diet.

my cycle now consists of dbol 1-4weeks ,600mg test a week for 1-14 weeks and 600mg deca a week for 1-12weeks.

right now im 188.00 at about 12-14 percent bodyfat. 5'9"

Chris
    If you are doing test-E have you thought about putting the dbol in at the 4th week while you are completly anabolic as the strength gains arrive?? If yiou think about it,it makes way more sense than just doing it out the gate!

Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    If you are doing test-E have you thought about putting the dbol in at the 4th week while you are completly anabolic as the strength gains arrive?? If yiou think about it,it makes way more sense than just doing it out the gate!
    I'll try that next time. Im already in week 6. It does make sense though.

Thread Information