Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old guy making a comeback...

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    The current plan is to implement cardio regularly into the program. I will determine how much when I see what my results are a week from saturday. I'm currently leaning toward a "beach body" look by my birthday in July. If that is the case I will just work backwards from that point to the first of the year. Now here is a question, I'll probably post this on GB's "Ask me anything thread":

Based upon the fact that the closer you get to your goal the harder it is to make progress how should that affect your plans? For example, let's say I am at 18%bf and want to get to 12% in 6 months/26 weeks/182.5 days. We all know it will become progressively harder to lose 1% bf the closer we get to target so would we just plan on losing 2% the first month and .25% the last? As we get lighter and perform more cardio our conditioning improves and we burn fewer calories so do I just build this into my head going into it? At 180lbs/18%bf I would burn more calories in 30 minutes than I would at 168/12%bf, although my LBM would be identical. So should I just go into the program knowing that I will gradually lower my daily caloric intake and increase my cardio or would I be better served to build in Cheat Weeks to reprogram my body or just monitor and adjust monthly?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Well, I never lower my caloric intake when cutting. If I want to be, say, 180ls @ 10% then I eat for that amount from the start. Yes, it still gets harder toward the end of a cut but the start of the cut I lose 2lbs a week, which is enough. Toward the end I may be dropping only .5lbs a week but this can be increased by extra, low intensity cardio (fasted and PWO). You could, of course, drop your cals instead but I find that a sure fire way to LBM loss.

Even when cutting I have 1 cheat meal per week.

Ultimately though, regardless of what option you choose, geeting the correct macro breakdown for you, is vital!

I'm not thoroughly convinced of that myself, but I'm willing to entertain all discussions on the topic. I am more of the "calories are calories" philosophy.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    love to hear where this going, keep it up, its addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I'm not thoroughly convinced of that myself, but I'm willing to entertain all discussions on the topic. I am more of the "calories are calories" philosophy.
    only thing i see in that is eat 500 cals of chicken and 500 cals of candy. macronutrients are macronutrients. i read somewhere where someone did this and only ate junk food, but keep the calories strict. he lost weight but gained fat.

Today is leg day and I am stoked. I was concerned this morning since my weight was 182.8, although yesterday before lunch it was 180.2. I guess I'll just concern myself with my target date condition and not stress too much between. I am completely convinced that I have lost 2 or 3% bf in a week and a half. And I benched 275lbs fairly easily my last two chest workouts. Not where I want my max to be, but considering I've only been back lifting for two months and I'm on a fairly restrictive diet, I'm pleased.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I wish calories were calories. Doesn't work for me. Tried that trick and didn't work.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Well, if cajun and slim say so, I'll have to agree. When I change up my program I will definitely get your learned input and will find someone to help walk me through the specifics. I might even be a contestant in the next challange, if we could get that going pretty soon!

Today is leg day and I am stoked. I was concerned this morning since my weight was 182.8, although yesterday before lunch it was 180.2. I guess I'll just concern myself with my target date condition and not stress too much between. I am completely convinced that I have lost 2 or 3% bf in a week and a half. And I benched 275lbs fairly easily my last two chest workouts. Not where I want my max to be, but considering I've only been back lifting for two months and I'm on a fairly restrictive diet, I'm pleased.
    don't be overly concerned with the numbers if you are hitting like you say you are. look at it more in a week progression, then daily numbers. i think this flusters all of us! i wish i could bench 275, haven't touched that since powerlifting in college and with my shoulder mangled, may not see that weight ever again!

and I will answer your question in this thread. NOPE. A little santa balero red top trimmed with white fur...
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Tbody good work so far man! Glad to see ur doing cardio

Im gonna have to agree that calories are def not calories... If all i ate were 2200 cals of chocolate creme filld doughnuts from krispy kreme everyday i seriously doubt my stats would be wher they are rite now... Do u not subscribe to the effect of insulin and blood sugar on weightloss/weightgain??

Maybe as an experiment u should give up ur current diet and switch up to Macdonalds french fries and ice cream chikn wings and pizza for the next month and we can see how it works for u???

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    don't be overly concerned with the numbers if you are hitting like you say you are. look at it more in a week progression, then daily numbers. i think this flusters all of us! i wish i could bench 275, haven't touched that since powerlifting in college and with my shoulder mangled, may not see that weight ever again!
    It is frustrating to know that it's 100lbs short of my all time best! But having had a partial upper pec tear and not getting any younger, I will probably have to be happy with just getting back to hitting 315lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    and I will answer your question in this thread. NOPE. A little santa balero red top trimmed with white fur...
    I meant other than that!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Tbody good work so far man! Glad to see ur doing cardio

Im gonna have to agree that calories are def not calories... If all i ate were 2200 cals of chocolate creme filld doughnuts from krispy kreme everyday i seriously doubt my stats would be wher they are rite now... Do u not subscribe to the effect of insulin and blood sugar on weightloss/weightgain??

Maybe as an experiment u should give up ur current diet and switch up to Macdonalds french fries and ice cream chikn wings and pizza for the next month and we can see how it works for u???
    I subscribe to all of the benefits of all the fine tuning, but I would say that for 99.9% of people to look better and feel better it isn't nearly as complicated as we make it. If you make smart choices, eat sensibly, have meals that contain a good protein/carb/fat ratios within your daily caloric range, and lift weights consistently, with proper form and intensity, much more is accomplished and much more likely to stick with!

I meant other than that! OH I knew that......

I subscribe to all of the benefits of all the fine tuning, but I would say that for 99.9% of people to look better and feel better it isn't nearly as complicated as we make it. If you make smart choices, eat sensibly, have meals that contain a good protein/carb/fat ratios within your daily caloric range, and lift weights consistently, with proper form and intensity, much more is accomplished and much more likely to stick with!
    re: stick with it. You told me this in the beginning of my log hence why I strongly adhere to this and recommend to others to find something to stick with.....and it will work.
    Author Unknown

I subscribe to all of the benefits of all the fine tuning, but I would say that for 99.9% of people to look better and feel better it isn't nearly as complicated as we make it. If you make smart choices, eat sensibly, have meals that contain a good protein/carb/fat ratios within your daily caloric range, and lift weights consistently, with proper form and intensity, much more is accomplished and much more likely to stick with![/QUOTE]

I agree if you eat pretty good, lift weights and do a bit of cardio you will stick to it. And your physique will be ok.

But I don't wanna look ok. I wanna look the best I can. I'm in my 40's and now that gets harder and harder. The only way I'm gonna look the best I can is by counting calories and apportioning my macro's accordingly.

As far as sticking to it - if you want it enough you'll stick to it. Besides I cheat once a week and that is more than enough.

Of course, some people are damn lucky and will look awesome even with an average diet and average lifting programme. And I hate those people!

T, I think I may have to visit you in the new year for a workout programme to combine with my lean bulk diet!

I'll trade you straight up, I'll be your personal weight trainer and you can be my personal dietitian. I will eat only what you say when you say and you lift how I tell you to lift, deal?

Deal big man. Not sure I'm looking forward to it though!

Wow that looks good i dont have anything to offer but can i get in on this too???????

405, you know I'll hook you up, now if stem will commit to your diet part, you can offer being the "Show" guineau pig

Stem, I'm totally stoked, thanks!

Okay, today was leg day

Squats and toe presses is all I was able to get to today

Squats warm up with bar x5, 135 x5, 225 x5, then 5x5 with 315
    toe presses 4x25 with 120lbs

Stepped on the bodyfat scale
    183.2lbs
    17.5% bf. Since the time of day is affecting me to such a degree I guess I'll see if the wife can take some pics and I can post them after church tonight or first thing in the am. I really need for you guys to see if I have made any progress close to what the machines are telling me in the last ten days.

tonights pics

two poses 12 days apart and the last one to help assess current bodyfat. I need your responses, please!
    Also if you could determine the difference between the two that would be really helpful and appreciated.
    The green shorts are tonights and the blue shorts from the 2nd of this month
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-12142011a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-12142011c.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-12142011e.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-12022011a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-12022011c.jpg  

405, you know I'll hook you up, now if stem will commit to your diet part, you can offer being the "Show" guineau pig

SteM has been here with me since the beginning.. I think that sounds like an awesome idea!

Seriously??? I need some bf estimates! Pic 5 from 12 days ago to pic 2 from today, pic 4 from 12 days ago to pic 1 from today, and pic 3 flexed ab side shot from today. GB, Stem, Twist, Sgt, Cajun, Slim, Calstate ...anyone, everyone....

30 mins cardio plus 3 min cool down on treadmill this am
    went 1.5 incline and speed of 3.7(up .02) 1.9 miles 190 cals at an avg. HR of 111

well tbody im not good at bf %s but u look leaner than 2 weeks ago.. i can see uve lost some fat in ur chest and on ur back.. good work!

In the first pic, r u dehydrated or were u hydrated? I would say that you are sitting right around 15-16ish, maybe a tad more but under 18. Great progress so far, keep the cardio up!!!

First off, much less bloating, which certainly helps you look (and I dare say, feel) slimmer. Back pic is a definite improvement and better lighting but improvement all the same.

I'd probably have you high teens 18ish maybe a touch more. I'd tell you better with a front double bi and a tensed abs shot.

Can I suggest you try and get your ave HR to about 120 on your morning cardio?!

another pic

More from last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-12142011f.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-ady-boo-004.jpg  

Kudos for photos and there is a difference in just such a short amount of time. You have this down to a science and know how your body will respond.

As far as BF? agree around 18

And agree to get your heart rate up some more. Was this morning's cardio fasted?
    Good to see you are doing it. Really is. Proud of ya buddy.
    Author Unknown

I drink water upon waking, other than that there is no intake, and no calories involved pre-cardio, I don't know if that constitutes "fasted" or not, but it is how I understand the metabolism is best kicked into gear.

Yesterday workout was chest/shoulders/triceps

bench press 4x25 135lbs (only able to get 16reps on my last/4th set)
    Incline Dumbbell Presses 4x15 40lbs
    Upright rows 4x25 35lbs (last set to failure hit 37 reps) I superssetted these with
    Triceps Pushdowns 80lbs x51reps, 80lbsx51reps, 90lbsx51reps, 100lbsx51reps

This was all fasted (I did not eat all day yesterday until 10 last night and then had popcorn and watched the debate!
    Weigh-in this am at 179.2 and feel great. I am really considering the IF diet(SteM what do you think?)

T, I just started the IF thing on Sunday and I am loving it! The hunger pains are bad right now for me, but to me, it is an easier way to eat. It is satisfying knowing that I can eat for 8 hours straight! When GB first brought this type of dieting, I was skeptical, but after trying it for not even a week, I am really adhering to it. Sounds like u kind of do this anyway so u should have no problem tearing this up!

Haven't done an IF diet so can't really comment. Though if it can fit into your lifestyle I think it has legs. I prefer a more 'normal' approach to dieting. Ultimately 2lbs a week loss is ideal whether IF or CKD or whatever you choose.

Really, it boils down to what you can stick to for an extended period of time.

Below 180lbs? How's that feel?

I drink water upon waking, other than that there is no intake, and no calories involved pre-cardio, I don't know if that constitutes "fasted" or not, but it is how I understand the metabolism is best kicked into gear.
    Sounds fasted to me! Are you doing any BCAA's? Like purple wrath? I got some of that stuff....
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    T, I just started the IF thing on Sunday and I am loving it! The hunger pains are bad right now for me, but to me, it is an easier way to eat. It is satisfying knowing that I can eat for 8 hours straight! When GB first brought this type of dieting, I was skeptical, but after trying it for not even a week, I am really adhering to it. Sounds like u kind of do this anyway so u should have no problem tearing this up!
    I haven't researched it too much, do you still have to watch cals and macros during the 8 hours of eating? And did I understand that sleeping doesn't count for fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Haven't done an IF diet so can't really comment. Though if it can fit into your lifestyle I think it has legs. I prefer a more 'normal' approach to dieting. Ultimately 2lbs a week loss is ideal whether IF or CKD or whatever you choose.

Really, it boils down to what you can stick to for an extended period of time.

Below 180lbs? How's that feel?
    I'm cool with whatever. I've done lots over my life of lifting (been weight training on and off for 30 years, only layoffs were due to major life changes or injuries, started when I was 15, serious when I turned 25 and I'm 45 now) I really don't like being lighter, It was so very hard for me to get the muscle and weight on, it bothers me some to see the low numbers. I am only encouraged by the fact that I am losing fat only at this point in time, and I can always pray for "gear" for Christmas. Someone was talking about their strength and energy going up during their IF diet. Anyway I am sticking with my hardcore approach to losing fat, going to eat like a madman at J.C.'s birthday parties and let you decide after that where to go and what to do.

you know prayers work......
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    you know prayers work......
    ^^^ X 20000000 amen to that girl!

hey tbody dont forget bout our conversation a few days ago.. first of the year its ON MAN!! i wanna keep droppn fat (obviously) but once i get closer to where i wanna be id also like to think of maybe doing some kind of lean bulk.. and im gonna need ur assistance in the workout dept.. as well as stems in the diet dept i tend to get in a routine and stay there for months or longr.. sorry bout the hijack..

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    TB - sleeping most definitely counts towards your fast.

Your pics... some definite improvement although it's hard to tell which is which because the lighting is bad. Based on the most recent 2 you posted separately, i'd estimate your BF at ~ 18%. Time to bring the wheels up too bro!!

You'll get there, just keep at it, you know this already.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday workout was chest/shoulders/triceps

bench press 4x25 135lbs (only able to get 16reps on my last/4th set)
    Incline Dumbbell Presses 4x15 40lbs
    Upright rows 4x25 35lbs (last set to failure hit 37 reps) I superssetted these with
    Triceps Pushdowns 80lbs x51reps, 80lbsx51reps, 90lbsx51reps, 100lbsx51reps

This was all fasted (I did not eat all day yesterday until 10 last night and then had popcorn and watched the debate!
    Weigh-in this am at 179.2 and feel great. I am really considering the IF diet(SteM what do you think?)
    Why are you doing 135lbs. on bench press? That is what HS kids press. (sayin w/ love and respect) If I were you I would lift heavier and less reps. Maybe 5x5 or 3x5 and work your way up. Your chest needs to come up and then bf come down. (w/ love)

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim View Post
    Why are you doing 135lbs. on bench press? That is what HS kids press. (sayin w/ love and respect) If I were you I would lift heavier and less reps. Maybe 5x5 or 3x5 and work your way up. Your chest needs to come up and then bf come down. (w/ love)
    HS kids may press 135lbs, but not for 4 sets of 25. Try it and tell me if you don't get wiped. Don't dismiss the power of higher rep ranges, there is a lot of muscle to be grown in the 15-20 range. Granted 25 is a bit excessive IMHO, but i'm digressing now.

I hit chest twice a week and do the the high weight low rep stuff on mondays/low weight high rep on thursdays. No offense taken, the chest does need to come up and so do the legs, and arms, the only things that are coming around are the shoulders and back. I will get there, just don't like how long it takes.

Thread Information