Page 23 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: You'll want to read this!

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creactiveprotein View Post
    Ronnie - im curious, what do your cycles look like? I know you're on TRT but surely you take more then just test?
    I do not function well while using any drug and this includes many steroids . I get this from my moms side of the family. This greatly limits my selection of drugs when I do a cycle.

It's generally around 1.5 grams of test e and 600 mgs of tren e. Or 1.5 grams of test e, 400 mgs of deca and 600 mgs of masteron e. I will use all the above in a cutting cycle and sometimes a bulker if my joints become irritated! I like sustanon as well. Orals do not agree with me but I do use winstrol the last 4 weeks going into a show.I never use anti-es except when preparing for a show as they do not agree with my joints or libido that well. I stay on cabergoline year round.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ylfcm View Post
    ronnie,

thanks for previous advice, worked wonders.

My next slingshot cycle.

1-8 500mg sust
    1-8 400mg tren e (take tren down to 300 mgs)
    1-4 30mg dbol ed

9-10 250mg sust

11-18 1000mg sust
    11-14 50mg dbol ed
    11-18 500mg tren e

19-20 250mg sust

3-20 500iu hcg (i do not quite understand how you are running the hcg?)
    pct
    clomid 50/50/25/25
    nolva 40/20/20/20

what you think ? looks good! will be first time using tren.
    Do you think i should up the test in first reload or maybe less tren so there is a significant differance. just do less tren to see how you do. Keep test low during phase 1 so your body can adjust to using tren for the first timeis 250 mg test enough durin deload? with this cycle it wouldn't hurt to do 500 mgs of test per week during deloads.

thanks
    above

ronnie...order of importance concerning...diet...genetics..training...steroids ? ??

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~

Great

Ronnie this is a great routine.I love it.Going on 1 month now never did a BB routine only powerlifer stuff.I can feel the difference.At 51 and still gettin it on

alpenguy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    You'll still need to run 250-300 mgs test or some kind of anabolic during 2 week deloads along with the nolva.
    Thanks Ron, you do get a good blast from those reloads, just never ran a serm in the middle

delta1111 is offline Associate Member
    above
    Thanks for the reply Ronnie. A few things I forgot to ask. How long do I take Winstrol for? What part of the 8 week reload do I take it? And finally, do I take all at once or split it up throughout the day?

Coca Cola is offline New Member

Confuse about finding optimal work set for slingshot training

So many people have different theory/opinion on the right amount of work sets, I have tried a lot of different program and experimenting with sets ranging from 6 to 16 sets per week of each bodypart, with different frequency (ranging from once a week split routine to 3 times a week full body training) they all seem to work for me, although i don't really like the higher range of volume because it just kills me the next day (feels like sleeping the whole day).

Now I'm on slingshot training, and I've been experimenting from 9-12 sets for large muscle group, and 8-12 sets for small muscle group, I haven't been on this program for too long, but so far all variation seems fine to me, although again the higher range (12 sets) makes me pretty tired the next day, and i feel like on the brink of overtraining after 4-6 weeks.

What I'm curious about is, do you have a method to determine the optimal amount of work set for a particular muscle group?

For example do I use the maximum allowed number of sets (12 sets) per week and then work downwards if I feel overtraining?

Or maybe the opposite as I start from the lowest amount (i.e. 6 sets) per week, then work upwards if i don't feel i'm doing enough?

Also when doing push and pull split, such as chest and triceps or back and biceps in one day, is it necessary to keep the amount of sets for triceps/biceps less than chest/back? For example if I do 8 sets of chest, does this mean that I have to do less for my triceps which maybe 7 or 6 sets, or its fine to do 8 sets or even more?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Muscle View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ron, I once met with a minor road accident and after that i developed the lower back pain which lasted for few weeks and had to take some time off the gym. Usually when i try to go heavy on Squats or Barbell rows i develop the pain which will last for 2-3 days and after some stretching i feel better. Please suggest how do i go about it.
    This is simple to fix!

1) Stay away from heavy free weight squats and do leg presses instead. Do higher reps for quads (12-15) and try the smith machine for squats and see how your back feels. Do your reps slower and take it down to parallel using less weight. Heavy squats do not build leg size they hurt lower backs! Proper form on squats using less weight will build legs but most people use bad form and do not even know it!

2) Substitute barbell rows for supported machine rows. I use the life fitness (side grip) and hammer strength (under hand grip) row machines exclusively for building lat thickness. Barbell rows are too dangerous IMO. Machines allow for a better contraction
    !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VASCULAR VINCE View Post
    ronnie...order of importance concerning...diet...genetics..training...steroids? ??
    1. genetics
    2. steroids
    3. diet/training about the same

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alpenguy View Post
    Thanks Ron, you do get a good blast from those reloads, just never ran a serm in the middle
    You do not need to run a serm in the middle but HCG can work well with a serm if you choose to take that route.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Ronnie this is a great routine.I love it.Going on 1 month now never did a BB routine only powerlifer stuff.I can feel the difference.At 51 and still gettin it on
    Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show you us older guys can stay after it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta1111 View Post
    thanks for the reply ronnie. A few things i forgot to ask. How long do i take winstrol for? take it for the entire 8 week reload. What part of the 8 week reload do i take it? And finally, do i take all at once or split it up throughout the day? it's easiest to take 50 mgs each morning on an empty stomach before breakfast.
    above

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coca cola View Post
    so many people have different theory/opinion on the right amount of work sets, i have tried a lot of different program and experimenting with sets ranging from 6 to 16 sets per week of each bodypart, with different frequency (ranging from once a week split routine to 3 times a week full body training) they all seem to work for me, although i don't really like the higher range of volume because it just kills me the next day (feels like sleeping the whole day). in this case, your body type is telling you to stay with the lower range of volume throughout the entire reloads and never train past failure by way of (forced reps, rest-pause, etc) as it will cause certain over-training

now i'm on slingshot training, and i've been experimenting from 9-12 sets for large muscle group, and 8-12 sets for small muscle group, i haven't been on this program for too long, but so far all variation seems fine to me, although again the higher range (12 sets) makes me pretty tired the next day, and i feel like on the brink of overtraining after 4-6 weeks. Scale back the sets until you find your sweet spot. Try 6-9 sets per each major body part and you should do better!

B]what i'm curious about is, do you have a method to determine the optimal amount of work set for a particular muscle group? [u]only you can answer this question as it varies among everyone. My current work sets looks like this on a 5 days split-[/u]

chest-9
    lats-12
    shoulders-9
    biceps-8
    triceps-8
    traps-6
    abs-6
    lower back-3
    quads-10
    hams-6
    calves-8

for example do i use the maximum allowed number of sets (12 sets) per week and then work downwards if i feel overtraining? that can work but it's best to find your limit and stay there to avoid over-training to begin with.

or maybe the opposite as i start from the lowest amount (i.e. 6 sets) per week, then work upwards if i don't feel i'm doing enough? yes!!!

also when doing push and pull split, such as chest and triceps or back and biceps in one day, is it necessary to keep the amount of sets for triceps/biceps less than chest/back? For example if i do 8 sets of chest, does this mean that i have to do less for my triceps which maybe 7 or 6 sets, or its fine to do 8 sets or even more?if worked on the same day do less as you are just finishing them off. If arms are worked on a separate day than the torso then the same amount of sets or more can be used if desired but it does no good to kill your arms as they get some stimulation from torso work and they are a small muscle that shuts down fast..
    above

above
    Thanks Ron!

Your current work sets for upper body is exactly the same like what i've been doing for the last couple of weeks, although I don't do much for traps only 3 sets, and I don't really do lower back training, maybe i should add that in.

What kind of lower back training do you recommend? Hyperextension?

My genetic for calves are pretty crap, and to bring them up I've been trying out "James Flex Lewis Hybrid Calf Training" I saw on his fitshow video, its basically a giant set starting from toe press on a leg press machine for 30 reps, then moving quickly to standing calves on some plates for 15 reps, then finish off standing calves for 15 reps on the floor. I do 4 sets of this giant set. What do you think of this calves routine? So far I've been getting pretty awesome pump, and i always push to failure until my calves can't move anymore. Only started trying this method for a few times, I havent seen significant result yet.

In my gym there is no seated calves machine, I dunno what to substitute for this?

Blog Entries

Wink

[QUOTE=Coca Cola;5186203]Thanks Ron!

Your current work sets for upper body is exactly the same like what i've been doing for the last couple of weeks, although I don't do much for traps only 3 sets, and I don't really do lower back training, maybe i should add that in.

What kind of lower back training do you recommend? Hyperextension? Yes and deadlifts work well for some.

My genetic for calves are pretty crap, and to bring them up I've been trying out "James Flex Lewis Hybrid Calf Training" I saw on his fitshow video, its basically a giant set starting from toe press on a leg press machine for 30 reps, then moving quickly to standing calves on some plates for 15 reps, then finish off standing calves for 15 reps on the floor. I do 4 sets of this giant set. What do you think of this calves routine? It won't work as well as straight sets! Calves are pure genetics and if you don't have them you can't get them to respond a whole lot! So far I've been getting pretty awesome pump, and i always push to failure until my calves can't move anymore. You'll get a huge pump using giant sets but there wil be no permanent muscle growth beyond what you can get with heavy straight sets using impecabble form. Only started trying this method for a few times, I havent seen significant result yet. And you won't!

In my gym there is no seated calves machine, I dunno what to substitute for this? toe presses on leg press with knees bent to create a similar angle![/QUOTE]above

Quote Originally Posted by Coca Cola View Post

My genetic for calves are pretty crap, and to bring them up I've been trying out "James Flex Lewis Hybrid Calf Training" I saw on his fitshow video, its basically a giant set starting from toe press on a leg press machine for 30 reps, then moving quickly to standing calves on some plates for 15 reps, then finish off standing calves for 15 reps on the floor. I do 4 sets of this giant set. What do you think of this calves routine? It won't work as well as straight sets! Calves are pure genetics and if you don't have them you can't get them! So far I've been getting pretty awesome pump, and i always push to failure until my calves can't move anymore. You'll get a huge pump using giant sets but there wil be no permanent muscle growth beyond what you can get with heavy straight sets using impecabble form. Only started trying this method for a few times, I havent seen significant result yet. And you won't!

In my gym there is no seated calves machine, I dunno what to substitute for this? toe presses on leg press with knees bent to create a similar angle![/QUOTE]above
    Damn! that sucks.. lol.. I'll just have to keep workin them with straight sets to the best of my ablities then, although i can't expect too much...

Thanks for the quick reply Ron!

Archangel. is offline Banned
    Hey Ron. My first 8 week reload is going really well, but what I wanted to run by you is that I have been struggling to lower my bf% utilizing your slingshot carb-cycling. I have since switched over to the anabolic diet (3 days now). I hope you don't take any offence, it's just a personal opinion. I feel the reason I wasn't getting the results from the carb-cycling is because my lack of cardio. I am on a VERY tight schedule right now, and by the time I'm done with the weights I only have about 15-20 mins left for cardio. What is your opinion of the anabolic diet?? Will this perhaps be more successful considering my personal lack of time for cardio? Will I catabolize more muscle this way? I just really don't want to absoluitely waste my test cycle/blast. My current anabolic diet looks like this:
    300p/30c/100f then carb up on the weekend. What do you think of all this? Should I go back to carb-cycling and somehow find a way to do more cardio? Or will this work well?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coca Cola View Post
    Damn! that sucks.. lol.. I'll just have to keep workin them with straight sets to the best of my ablities then, although i can't expect too much...Thats the best you will ever do! They will grow some but they will never be diamond shaped with veins bulging year round. Dorian Yates is the prime example! He has not trained his calves in over 7 years and they are larger that 99% of the top-level bodybuilders of today. Dorian performed only 2 sets per week for his calves (1 set of standing calve raises for 10-12 reps and 1 set of seated calve raises for 6-8 reps) and his calves inserted at his ankles where as mine insert close to my knees....lol

Many of us have high calves and much of the time there simply isn't much meat there to work with in the first place. It sucks! Trust me, I know this as well as anyone. I inherited pitiful calve genetics from my dad and while they are a bit defined from years of hard work they won't grow in size to any noticable degree. Ignore all the silly training methods about increasing calve size because it's pure fantasy land. Anyone who tells you differently is either ignorant of the fact or being straight out being dishonest.

Most people with big calves will tell you they got them from playing sports in highschool....lol..Some things never cease to amaze. I played all sorts of sports and mine never grew. Why? Because of poor genetics in that area!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply Ron!
    above

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel. View Post
    Hey Ron. My first 8 week reload is going really well, but what I wanted to run by you is that I have been struggling to lower my bf% utilizing your slingshot carb-cycling. I have since switched over to the anabolic diet (3 days now). I hope you don't take any offence, it's just a personal opinion. I feel the reason I wasn't getting the results from the carb-cycling is because my lack of cardio. I am on a VERY tight schedule right now, and by the time I'm done with the weights I only have about 15-20 mins left for cardio. I'm only doing 20 minutes of cardio 6 days per week and I am 3 weeks out from a show and yes I am using the slingshot carb cycling diet. My suggestion to you is cut carbs to 100 per day in first two meals of the day and carb up only once a week while keeping fat low and protein low. What is your opinion of the anabolic diet?? If it's the keto diet I am thinking of you will lose muscle unless you are an endomorph. Will this perhaps be more successful considering my personal lack of time for cardio? Will I catabolize more muscle this way? When carbs are taken out I think you catabolize more muscle at some point. I just really don't want to absoluitely waste my test cycle/blast. My current anabolic diet looks like this:
    300p/30c/100f then carb up on the weekend. What do you think of all this? Looks bad because all that fat is keeping you from losing weight! Should be closer to 250 grams of protein, 100 carbs and only 30 grams of fat.Should I go back to carb-cycling and somehow find a way to do more cardio? Just go back to carb cycling for now and see if the adjustments work Or will this work well?
    Thanks
    above

Haha! You're right Ron! I played all kind of sports in high school and they never grew too.. lol.. Using weights has somewhat make them grew a little, at least they don't look like matchstick anymore, but turning into a broomstick... not much, but its something.. lol...

You are awesome Ronnie. God bless you man.

above
    OK, I will do the 250p/100c/30f. Is 250 grams protein enough in a day though for me? I weigh 185 @ about 15%

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Archangel.;5186913]OK, I will do the 250p/100c/30f. Is 250 grams protein enough in a day though for me? I weigh 185 @ about 15% QUOTE] I THINK SO!

Blog Entries
    You are awesome Ronnie. God bless you man.
    Well thank you sir!

Many of us have high calves and much of the time there simply isn't much meat there to work with in the first place. It sucks! Trust me, I know this as well as anyone. I inherited pitiful calve genetics from my dad and while they are a bit defined from years of hard work they won't grow in size to any noticable degree. Ignore all the silly training methods about increasing calve size because it's pure fantasy land. Anyone who tells you differently is either ignorant of the fact or being straight out being dishonest.
    Does this also apply to triceps?
    I have very long limbs, so I need to build more mass than shorter limbed guys to look the same kind of build. Does that make sense?
    Anyway, my triceps are ok at the top of my arm, but closer to my elbow there does'nt seem to be much muscle to build. Any tips you could give me Ronnie to add mass to this area would be great. What does seem to give me a pump to the little bit of muscle I have i there are skull crushers, but I never really seem to grow from them.
    Many thanks.

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Ronnie i remember reading something you wrote and you mentioned an aas book that you own, it was something something edition

do you have the name of the book?

Thanks

MaNiCC

morado02 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    Ronnie i remember reading something you wrote and you mentioned an aas book that you own, it was something something edition

do you have the name of the book?

Thanks

MaNiCC
    I think the one he mentioned on this thread was ANABOLICS 9TH EDITION by William Llewelln.

ricky23 is offline Junior Member
    Last edited by ricky23; 11-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.

arcangel456 is offline New Member
    Thank you so much for the info... very valuable

[QUOTE=Ronnie Rowland;5186961]
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel. View Post
    OK, I will do the 250p/100c/30f. Is 250 grams protein enough in a day though for me? I weigh 185 @ about 15% QUOTE] I THINK SO!
    Ron, I have to ask. Why does almost EVERYBODY say 2 grams protein/pound of bodyweight? You recommend 250 for me, and that's not even 1.5/pound of bodyweight, so are you thinking that 300g/p is maybe too much for me, and that it was inhibiting my leaning out due to too many cals?

DocBman is offline New Member
    take a look above and let me know if you have any further questions! REPS LOOK FINE!
    Ronnie,

Thank you for your advice!!!

I just have a few more questions....

1) I am thinking of bumping Test E to 750mg a week for the 2nd 8 week reload, should I just stick to 2 500mg reloads? (this is my first cycle)

2) Should I add the Dbol for the first reload or the second?
    - I was thinking only the first to jumpstart, but I have seen that you recommend adding for the 2nd reload...

Thank you!

Doc

Hello again Ronnie,
    I mentioned in my earlier post that my next reload would consist of 1,400mg test blend per week, 600mg of trenbolone per week and 50mg of winstrol per day. I can no longer get hold of the trenbolone but can get primobolan dosed at 100mg per 1ml. I have never used primobolan so would this be a good alternative to trenbolone? If so how would I dose it and by how much, when you consider what I was going to use on trenbolone?
    Many thanks.

Blog Entries
    does this also apply to triceps? yes! It applies to all muscles groups.i have very long limbs, so i need to build more mass than shorter limbed guys to look the same kind of build. Does that make sense? yes
    anyway, my triceps are ok at the top of my arm, but closer to my elbow there does'nt seem to be much muscle to build. Any tips you could give me ronnie to add mass to this area would be great. What does seem to give me a pump to the little bit of muscle i have i there are skull crushers, but i never really seem to grow from them. i'm sorry, but there's nothing special you can do but skull crushers and tricep pushowns can't be beat for building the overall mass of the triceps.
    many thanks.
    above

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Archangel.;5187388][QUOTE=Ronnie Rowland;5186961]

Ron, I have to ask. Why does almost EVERYBODY say 2 grams protein/pound of bodyweight? WHAT THEY DO NOT REALIZE IS EVERYONES PROTEIN, CARB AND FAT NEEDS ARE DIFFERENT. IF YOU BEGIN TO LOSE MUSCLE SIZE/STRENGTH YOU CAN BUMP PROTEIN UP (STARTING AT 50 MORE GRAMS PER DAY)You recommend 250 for me, and that's not even 1.5/pound of bodyweight, so are you thinking that 300g/p is maybe too much for me, and that it was inhibiting my leaning out due to too many cals? YES! HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH AGAIN? [/QUOTE]ABOVE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post

do you have the name of the book?ANABOLICS 9TH EDITION by William Llewelln is one of several I own or have read.
    Thanks

MaNiCC
    above

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by docbman View Post
    ronnie,

thank you for your advice!!!

I just have a few more questions....

1) i am thinking of bumping test e to 750mg a week for the 2nd 8 week reload, should i just stick to 2 500mg reloads? (this is my first cycle)you can keep test at 500 mgs for both reloads and add d-bol in along with test for 8 weeks with second reload!
    2) should i add the dbol for the first reload or the second?
    2nd - i was thinking only the first to jumpstart, but i have seen that you recommend adding for the 2nd reload...yes, add 30-50 MGS OF D-BOL DAILY during entire 2nd reload to gain maximum benefits!

thank you!

Doc
    above

Blog Entries
    Hello again Ronnie,
    I mentioned in my earlier post that my next reload would consist of 1,400mg test blend per week, 600mg of trenbolone per week and 50mg of winstrol per day. I can no longer get hold of the trenbolone but can get primobolan dosed at 100mg per 1ml. I have never used primobolan so would this be a good alternative to trenbolone? Not even close! Go with something else.If so how would I dose it and by how much, when you consider what I was going to use on trenbolone?
    Many thanks.
    above

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky23 View Post
    hi ronnie, thanks again for all your help and taking the time to answer all my questions. Just thought i'd let you know that i had the priviledge of meeting dorian yates today! Im from london and i was attending a bodybuilding contest and he was there. Really kind aswell, he took the time out to answer all my questions and he mirrors pretty much everything you say! He even recommended the 8 week reload and 2 week deload period for anabolics and training and said that its best not exceed 8 weeks of high doses due to the myostatin levels dropping. i think it's awesome that you met dorian yates!!!! good to see that dorian yates figured out that the slingshot approach is indeed the best way to cycle steroids! he was abit skeptical about my diet though and said that 600g of protein (which ive increased it to) was a little too high. i agree with dorian on this point! he also thought that my cycle was abit extreme (1.2 grams of test and 450mg of tren ) he said that the max he took was 1.5 of test which i find abit hard to believe! it's possible if he added in other anabolics along with high doses of growth hormone and insulin. A few people respond like crazy to lesser amounts (he could have been one of them) but the majority of people do not.thanks again ronnie for all your advice and help.
    above

[QUOTE=Ronnie Rowland;5188586][QUOTE=Archangel.;5187388]

Ron, I have to ask. Why does almost EVERYBODY say 2 grams protein/pound of bodyweight? WHAT THEY DO NOT REALIZE IS EVERYONES PROTEIN, CARB AND FAT NEEDS ARE DIFFERENT. IF YOU BEGIN TO LOSE MUSCLE SIZE/STRENGTH YOU CAN BUMP PROTEIN UP (STARTING AT 50 MORE GRAMS PER DAY)You recommend 250 for me, and that's not even 1.5/pound of bodyweight, so are you thinking that 300g/p is maybe too much for me, and that it was inhibiting my leaning out due to too many cals? YES! HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH AGAIN? [/QUOTE]ABOVE
    I'm 185 lbs @ 5'7. Here's a pic of me from a couple weeks before my 20 week blast (which is also my first cycle ever) I think I'm around 15%, what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You'll want to read this!-012.jpg  

cmc2005 is offline New Member

Ronnie...this will be my 1st cycle!!

What do you recommend my first cycle look like?

Stats:
    23yrs old
    5'8
    152pds
    15% bodyfat
    3,150 calories just to maintain (physical job)

And in addition to the cycle you recommend what should I take for PCT?

Also, should I take Letro 2 weeks in advance of cycle to PREVENT gyno from occuring?

Thanx for your expert advice in advance!

Thread Information